Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - The Community Hub

Comments

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    That kid looks so bored sitting in the chair
    Space sims are not meant for kids. 

For demos of a few minutes for a game like this and people who never played it before, the first experience is figuring out controls gg
    Where is it written that space sims aren't for kids? And I say kid but he's probably in his 20's
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    sgel said:
    Star Citizen still a space sim then? 
    Always was, is what ties the entire thing with the FPS play and such together.
    edited August 2017
    Kefo said:
    Where is it written that space sims aren't for kids? And I say kid but he's probably in his 20's
    Generally, yes, one example of this is Elite Dangerous on steam, it's a space sim and it's good at it, yet its reception did fall controversial, especially for when many get in expecting casual play and not that heavy focus on the sim aspect.

SC is the same but it has mechanics that make it so it doesn't depend on it and expand play from there instead.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    Generally, yes, one example of this is Elite Dangerous on steam, it's a space sim and it's good at it, yet its reception did fall controversial, especially for when many get in expecting casual play and not that heavy focus on the sim aspect.

SC is the same but it has mechanics that make it so it doesn't depend on it expanding play from there instead.
    SC isn't even remotely the same game as ED neither does it aim to be like it.
    Just because some of their gameplay elements are in the same genre, doesn't mean the games in general are similar.

..Cake..

sgel said:
    Just because some of their gameplay elements are in the same genre, doesn't mean the games in general are similar.
    I wasn't comparing in that aspect either, more meaning that the sims being for kids because the reception expected fall usually something more casual, and sims focus on a different experience are known for their complexity when looking at a game like ED or SC that does not babysit you through linear play.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    MaxBacon said:

For demos of a few minutes for a game like this and people who never played it before, the first experience is figuring out controls gg
    I've seen so many people crash in steams/screenshots already, lol.

I really like what I'm seeing from Gamescom so far, which is not-devs playing with 3.0 features and trying all sort of random things.
    Erillion
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited August 2017
    sgel said:
    Kefo said:

You should see how much the streamers were trying to pretend they were having fun.
    Granted though there's not much to do... hopefully the full 3.0 will try and fix this.
    Yea, whatever they're playing there can't possibly be very representative of 3.0, because 3.0 itself currently has 12 "blockers" and 40+ critical bugs and thus presumably anything remotely resembling it would be a horrible mess right now.

At best, they might be playing isolated bits and pieces of 3.0, but that's like playing a Mario game where Stage 1-1 is missing all the goombas and power-ups and only the first screen of that stage existed at the moment.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the need to please the backers, I'd almost think the whole thing was a big fat waste of time and money since it's going to be so unindicative of the final product.  ....well, the final version of the Alpha (the actual whole "final product" likely still being years off at the very least).  The one thing keeping me from fully declaring that is the fact that I haven't seen many posts about whether or not people actually found the thing FUN with... whatever it is they're playing there, yet, which would at least show that the snippet of gameplay they could put together was fun to goof around with (though it doesn't really look like or sound like anyone's really having very much fun).

I suppose when you only have a few minutes to play the game, most of which will be spent trying to figure out the controls (or crashing), you wouldn't be able to extrapolate much from that anyways.
    ScotchUp
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    sgel said:
    I wasn't comparing in that aspect either, more meaning that the sims being for kids because the reception expected fall usually something more casual, and sims focus on a different experience are known for their complexity when looking at a game like ED or SC that does not babysit you through linear play.
    You're painting some very broad strokes there with that generalization brush. 
    edited August 2017
    Kefo said:
    You're painting some very broad strokes there with that generalization brush. 
    Not really, it's one of the things both games are in common, it's not the type of casual gameplay neither does the game babysits you on a type of play that is simple and linear, there's a lot of figuring out, as for play both games don't tell you where to go or what to do, they just place you in the game-world and so you just explore around to find things to do.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    Kefo
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Tiamat64 said:
    sgel said:
    Kefo said:

You should see how much the streamers were trying to pretend they were having fun.
    Granted though there's not much to do... hopefully the full 3.0 will try and fix this.
    Yea, whatever they're playing there can't possibly be very representative of 3.0, because 3.0 itself currently has 12 "blockers" and 40+ critical bugs and thus presumably anything remotely resembling it would be a horrible mess right now.

At best, they might be playing isolated bits and pieces of 3.0, but that's like playing a Mario game where Stage 1-1 is missing all the goombas and power-ups and only the first screen of that stage existed at the moment.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the need to please the backers, I'd almost think the whole thing was a big fat waste of time and money since it's going to be so unindicative of the final product.  ....well, the final version of the Alpha (the actual whole "final product" likely still being years off at the very least).  The one thing keeping me from fully declaring that is the fact that I haven't seen many posts about whether or not people actually found the thing FUN with... whatever it is they're playing there, yet, which would at least show that the snippet of gameplay they could put together was fun to goof around with (though it doesn't really look like or sound like anyone's really having very much fun).

I suppose when you only have a few minutes to play the game, most of which will be spent trying to figure out the controls (or crashing), you wouldn't be able to extrapolate much from that anyways.
    Suspect you are right about this not being perfectly representative of v3.0.    And it is a waste of time, but it's not just a CIG thing.   Most of my old dev friends hated the convention/demo run ups, as it usually meant a month+ of wasted work.   Given that SC is running on donation funding though, it becomes much more important to show a good face and drum up more money.   As much as I don't care for their management, stuff like this is just good business sense.
    Erillion

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited August 2017
    Feedback on the booth demo from a French backer who tried it out, 2 hours in queue RIP.

" I got the occasion (and patience...queueing for 2h for a 20 min playthrough) to test the "3.0 Daymar Experience" at the CIG Booth at Gamescom. Here is a little feedback.

First reaction...God this is beautiful to the eye! I was wondering what had changed to make it so good looking. Light management is on point, shadows are deep and beautiful...and the fluidity! Little to no aliasing on the edges. I was pleased to see how well the game evolved, I got the feeling to discover it over again.

Speaking of which, the second most noticeable point is the Item 2.0. Thankfully, one guy at the booth helped me around the changes, I was really lost here! This is a whole new way of interacting with the world: you have to press the 'F' key and keep it pressed in order to bring up the cursor that lets you select a specific action (open/close a door, sit down, power up the engines,...). In most cases, this is really practical, for example when you want to close a door and not actually getting out of the ship. But sometimes it gets quite confusing, especially when you want to rush to your seat as we used to do before. To do so, you have to get close to the seat (but not too much), press F, select and click on "Enter pilot seat". Once seated, you have to do it over again to bring the "Power On" option. There's a learning curve here.

It's time to talk about atmospheric flight. Unfortunately, I didn't test the space flight, but I could fly in Daymar's atmosphere. I confirm that you can actually feel the weight of your ship, this is a plain new sensation, your ship is heavy! There's a lot of inertia and I sometimes struggled to keep my ship straight! I won't talk about landing...because I crashed.

I gave the new Cutlass a ride, along the Nox and Ursa Rover. The Cutlass is a thing of beauty! I tested it a little, and the turret as well (they polished the turret gameplay, which is far more on point now! You can get a solid aim easily now, no more wobbly and sickening movements!). I could not test the copilot gameplay as the feature was not implemented in this "Lite" build.

The Nox is a beast! Classy also! The speed feedback is quite good as of today. As you can imagine, the Nox is really agile, even on Daymar's scorched suface.

And finally, the Ursa. I used it shortly, just to go recover my wandering Nox.

During those 20 min, I had a strong feeling the game evolved a lot, that's what I retain from this playthrough. I wonder if we'll be able to get as much fluidity as I got during this lite demo."

Vikingir
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    I tried it yestaday, and it feels like a demo, looked good and the frame rate was good, but still had that overwhelming feeling it was just a bespoke demo showing off potential idea's, the kind of thing you'd produce when trying to sell a product idea to potential investors.

Now time to wait for the man himself to appear and see what he has to say.
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
    edited August 2017
    I tried it yestaday, and it feels like a demo, looked good and the frame rate was good, but still had that overwhelming feeling it was just a bespoke demo showing off potential idea's, the kind of thing you'd produce when trying to sell a product idea to potential investors.

Now time to wait for the man himself to appear and see what he has to say.
    Did you feel the atmospheric flight while flying around?

From what I see I think they have one problem where even if the physics are working correctly the visual representation feels weird and misplaced, like the thrusters are capable to use more power/fuel to counter to allow ships to float in place as you can keep the ship engines on even when leaving the pilot seat now, but the visual representation is flawed so it doesn't look that right. The max speeds further you fly away from the planet seem right though.

I noticed the bit where the further you fly from the moon the max speed you get increases, also nice bits with ships like the prospector engines animating from and into the atmospheric mode.
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    edited August 2017
    MaxBacon said:

It's time to talk about atmospheric flight. Unfortunately, I didn't test the space flight, but I could fly in Daymar's atmosphere. 

Is there any actual space flight to test?

Seem's to me it is just Daymar and nothing else, only atmospheric flight, no space beyond that.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

Excession said:
    There is no space flight to test.
    There is only atmospheric flight, as it is just Daymar, nothing else.
    There is, I was watching today and they could leave the atmosphere and it turn into space flight from atmospheric, on the prospector, it's noticeable the engines switching modes.

The build just has Quantum Travel disabled so if you fly high enough it gets there, it's up to what 15min of play allow.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Excession said:
    MaxBacon said:

It's time to talk about atmospheric flight. Unfortunately, I didn't test the space flight, but I could fly in Daymar's atmosphere. 

Seem's to me it is just Daymar and nothing else, only atmospheric flight, no space beyond that.
    It looks like they took a section of 3.0 to demo.  Like you said just the planetary landing.  It would probably take a lot longer than 20 mins. to play more. 

Any bets on S42 demo making an appearance?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

It's not likely, they wouldn't throw all at once because there's Citizencon in October to also have stuff to show, that's where I would bet SQ42 will make its appearance.  It's unlikely also with all the work on 3.0 I think it would be overwhelming to pull the vertical slice at the time time, but I think it's safer to expect there will be a proper trailer of SQ42 tomorrow.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    I don't expect any SQ42 personally, nor are they going to show anything new outside the already announced new ship. They are just going to show more finished 3.0 stuff tomorrow (some of which might be mindblowing though).
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Excession said:
    MaxBacon said:

It looks like they took a section of 3.0 to demo.  Like you said just the planetary landing.  It would probably take a lot longer than 20 mins. to play more. 

I would put money on them not having anything to show (or anything playable) for S42 based on what they are showing of 3.0 right now.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Erillion said:
    The issue will be out soon ... so ... we will see ;-)

Have fun

So now that the list is out, which position in the top 100 was Star Citizen in?

..Cake..

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    sgel said:
    Erillion said:
    The issue will be out soon ... so ... we will see ;-)

Have fun

So now that the list is out, which position in the top 100 was Star Citizen in?
    See upthread.

Have fun
    edited September 2017
    http://www.gamestar.de/videos/20-jahre-gamestar-die-zehn-wichtigsten-spiele-star-citizen-ist-der-roberts-jetzt-voellig-irre,94264.html

"GameStar" magazine (=largest gaming magazine in the german speaking countries) ranks Star Citizen as one of the 10 most important games in the 20 year history of the magazine, fully knowing that it has not even been released yet.

If you look at the URL above, you see the subtitle of the article "Is Roberts now completely nuts ?" ...  »Ist der Roberts jetzt völlig irre?«

And answering it with

"... daher rührt eben auch die Faszination des Spiels..."
    "... that makes up a lot of the fascination of this game .... "

Have fun
    Vikingirrpmcmurphy
  • VikingirVikingir Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Ja, ambitionen ist gut. :)
    rpmcmurphy
    Best regards,
    Viking
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:
     "Is Roberts now completely nuts ?"

To this I would say yes, it really is a case of the looney running the asylum. Where else would you have people dropping $10,000, $20,000 or even $40,000 on promises from an renowned over-promiser.
    Erillion said:
     "Is Roberts now completely nuts ?"

To this I would say yes, it really is a case of the looney running the asylum. Where else would you have people dropping $10,000, $20,000 or even $40,000 on promises from an renowned over-promiser.

Basically what the journalists say is:
     ... you need a developer that is driven and a perfectionist to even contemplate such an ambitious project.
     ... you need fans that not only want to buy a computer game but want to ".....invest in a dream, the enormous dream of the ideal space game ..."
    (--> "....investiert in einen Traum, den gewaltigen Traum vom idealen Weltraumspiel...").

Have fun
    Vikingir