Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Instance housing?

I've been anxiously waiting for this game to come out being it looks great on paper.

But!  Now I read where housing is only in instance. Please don't tell me this is true, is it?

I dislike any part of a game being an instance, especially housing where you like to decorate your house to show off.  Not only this, but instancing takes away so much from socializing and rp in a game.

Comments

• GrestehGresteh Member Posts: 146

Vanguard will NOT have instancing. Houses will be placed in the wilderness, but there will be specific places where you can build a house.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

I hope the housing is done somewhat like DAoC but with a lot more detail. 

It should not be instanced,  is should go on 'supply and demand' ..meaning if there is a great demand for housing but little land to build it on the price should go up and the price should go down if opposite, like a real world economy.

• GrestehGresteh Member Posts: 146

It's going to be like SWG or UO rather than DAoC, with one difference, there will be limited places where you can build a house in order to prevent turning the game into a huge city.

• miccavmiccav Member Posts: 33

I read in some article/interview that the housing will be placed in pre-determined lots throughout the wilderness. This is to protect the landscape. Some lots will be larger or more clustered than others, allowing for guild owned villages. The cities will also have non-instanced housing/apartments. It did mention that you can mount the heads of slain beasts in addition to placing furniture within your home.

I'm all for pre-determined lots. SWG's housing was ridiculously unmanaged.

EQ1 - Shaman & Cleric 1999-2003
    Others Played: AC1, AC2, AO, EQ2, EVE(Beta Tester), SWG(pre-NGE/CU), Guildwars, TSO, MxO(Beta Tester), Lineage 1, Lineage 2, WOW, COV/COH, DDO, Vanguard(Beta Tester), DAOC, Tabula Rasa

• DrowDKDrowDK Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by zethcarn

I hope the housing is done somewhat like DAoC but with a lot more detail. 
    It should not be instanced,  is should go on 'supply and demand' ..meaning if there is a great demand for housing but little land to build it on the price should go up and the price should go down if opposite, like a real world economy.

Do you see a problem here? DAoC housing WAS instanced, that's how they were able to add on more housing areas so easily, it didn't effect the actual world.

• AraduneAradune Sigil Games CEOMember RarePosts: 294
    No,  housing is NOT instanced.  It's in the real world, very similar to how SW:G handled housing.

--

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad McQuaid
    CCO, Visionary Realms, Inc.
    www.pantheonmmo.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Housing in Vanguard will be a bit like in UO, but with a twist.
    In UO you didn't have any planning restriction, so you would often see houses built on top of each other, sometimes blocking each other entrance and things of this sort.
    In Vanguard you will be able to build only in certain spots, but you will still have enough land available in order to give you the freedom to build anywhere you want, without ruining the landscape.

In Vanguard you will need the help of crafters in order to build your house, so after buying a plot of land, you will need to gather a good team of crafters to build the house of your dreams.
    I am really looking forward for this feature.

In UO you didn't have any planning restriction, so you would often see houses built on top of each other, sometimes blocking each other entrance and things of this sort.
    In Vanguard you will be able to build only in certain spots, but you will still have enough land available in order to give you the freedom to build anywhere you want, without ruining the landscape.

In Vanguard you will need the help of crafters in order to build your house, so after buying a plot of land, you will need to gather a good team of crafters to build the house of your dreams.

Well said!

"Vanguard will NOT have instancing. Houses will be placed in the wilderness, but there will be specific places where you can build a house."

True, you can find this info on a link off of vanguardsoh.com on www.1up.com i think it's the latest thing in the news, but im not sure.

• dunaduriumdunadurium Member Posts: 257

Originally posted by DrowDK

Well said!

you guys realize that brad just answered the question above you guys, right?

~Dunadurium

"Silly rabbit, WoW's for kids"

• ThrymerThrymer Member Posts: 13

Player housing / cities might not make release.  So we should all have time to get ready for this content. 

• MMO_MunkMMO_Munk Member Posts: 299

Originally posted by Aradune
    No,  housing is NOT instanced.  It's in the real world, very similar to how SW:G handled housing.

omg..... thank you.
  • age_of_sagesage_of_sages Member Posts: 20
    Not only will you have to depend on crafters to build your house, you also need diplomats to get you NP approval to buuild your house.  This is all part of Sigil's plan to make each of the three spheres interdependant upon each other.

• DroiganDroigan Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by Thrymer

Player housing / cities might not make release.  So we should all have time to get ready for this content. 

They have said that it is doubtful that the full workings of player cities will be in at release. Such as diplomacy for running the city, hiering guards, etc.

But player housing is already in the game.

• jusparjuspar Member UncommonPosts: 10

Originally posted by DrowDK

"Vanguard will NOT have instancing. Houses will be placed in the wilderness, but there will be specific places where you can build a house."
    True, you can find this info on a link off of vanguardsoh.com on www.1up.com i think it's the latest thing in the news, but im not sure.

That's because it was the CEO of Sigil that posted it.

Originally posted by Droigan

Originally posted by Thrymer

Player housing / cities might not make release. 
    So we should all have time to get ready for this content. 

They have said that it is doubtful that the full workings of player cities will be in at release. Such as diplomacy for running the city, hiering guards, etc.

But player housing is already in the game.

I grabbed the quote from Brad the other day, but not the link.  Anyway, as I understand this infor is current, if not recent:

Originally posted by Ardune

<snip>the foundation that needs to be in place before you have player run villages or cities is simply ownership of housing in general, and then being able to store items in your house, mount trophies, etc. As per the article, that tech is indeed already in place and about to be turned on for people to test in beta<snip>

double post
  • SmackjabberSmackjabber Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I don't see why they can't make it like SWG's in fact I think that's the way it's gonna be.

Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear...