Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(positivity thread!) What features/mechanics do you like about NEW MMOs? (WoW and newer)

Since there have been a lot of heated debates, and a seemingly large supply of negative threads and post. I figured a positive thread about what people like about new MMOs would be a good addition to MMORPG.com forums

I think one of the mechanics I like most is combat, which is a major thing in many games especially MMOs. Combat mechanics have evolved a lot with games like TERA and BDO having amazing action based combat. It is a very different feel to it than even in WoW where its the typical waiting for cooldowns to do activities. However, in WoW...Demon Hunter is a HUGE step up of any class in WoW with how fast paced and how much action the class has. I think Blizzard designed the Demon Hunter for those who want a fast paced action style class.

What about you guys? What do you like about MMOs these days? The ones that came out during the WoW time frame and newer.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    Even if i try real hard nothing comes to my mind, really.

Apologies for being negative on your thread. :)
    FrodoFraginsKyleranXarko[Deleted User][Deleted User]waynejr2
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    I know people don't agree but I actually like group finders for non raid content.  To the point where I got bored and left GW2 and SWTOR soon after release.

Battlegrounds were a great addition as well and queue anywhere was much appreciated.  Although I was never a fan of arenas.

The plethora of addons was also a big improvement imo.  Performance meters are excellent at showing your own progress over time as well as a way to hold people accountable.  LOTR purposely preventing them just allowed for lazyness in players and simpler mechanics.

Improved story content and cutscenes were also welcome when it comes to leveling.

GW2 only displaying nearby quests was nice as well.  It reduced clutter. 

Dynamic events are a great idea but I haven't seen anything that really does anything more than rotate events one after the other.  I'd prefer to see something more "dynamic".

Cross-realm zones is fine for leveling but terrible for battlegrounds.  I wish games like WOW consolidated servers much more often and kept battlegrounds server based.
    Ridelynn
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2017
    I know people don't agree but I actually like group finders for non raid content.  To the point where I got bored and left GW2 and SWTOR soon after release.

Battlegrounds were a great addition as well and queue anywhere was much appreciated.  Although I was never a fan of arenas.

The plethora of addons was also a big improvement imo.  Performance meters are excellent at showing your own progress over time as well as a way to hold people accountable.  LOTR purposely preventing them just allowed for lazyness in players and simpler mechanics.

Improved story content and cutscenes were also welcome when it comes to leveling.

GW2 only displaying nearby quests was nice as well.  It reduced clutter. 

Dynamic events are a great idea but I haven't seen anything that really does anything more than rotate events one after the other.  I'd prefer to see something more "dynamic".

Cross-realm zones is fine for leveling but terrible for battlegrounds.  I wish games like WOW consolidated servers much more often and kept battlegrounds server based.
    ^yeah, there is a lot of new features and mechanics than just combat. 

Anyway

Group finders for non-raid is definitely a nice feature, made it a lot easier to get into groups and less spamming in chat non-stop to find a group

The other thing I really like are Auction Houses/Brokers (and similar systems). In the old days, you had to stand around for hours spamming chat non-stop to sell items. Will never do that again lol. I remember in Asheron's Call chat being spammed so much by people trying to sell things. That was really annoying

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    Less dependence on grouping to clear basic content, and in some cases less dependence on particular group makeup (trinity) to clear more difficult content.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Personally, I like the cross server grouping ability as time has went on since my schedule has changed multiple times over the years making it easier to still do stuff with people at varying hours without as much server dependency. Of course a feature like that has probably increased the amount of trolls and more anti-social behavior since there's no real consequence for acting like a douche since you'll rarely see the same person after a period of time (depending on the game's population), but there's always going to be positives and negatives to any system you have anywhere and I feel this makes the game more accessible to people that otherwise may not have had the time to commit to specific groups etc within a set time frame just to get a lot of things done.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited September 2017
    Cash shops, especially those that let a player buy their way to the top, a terrific counter to the days when only no-lifers dominated MMOs.

B)

ScorchienConstantineMerusRidelynn[Deleted User]XarkoStoneRoses[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Story content on MMO's like SWTOR, TSW/SWL, GW2. Action combat, animations and graphics of BDO. Also the beautiful open world, and the node and housing systems of BDO.
    Tsiya

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    the best thing is the addicting nature of them, like how the OP hates them but just cant quit them. . .

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    The events where everyone can take part is really cool. Stories being added was a nice step, needs some tweaking but is a good improvement compared to how it was.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    farmville features/mechanics so that i can plant things while ignore the PVP PVE mad men , instance housing that allow me to build from cottage to castle and allow me to put in NPC harem and show it off with other .
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    My favorite feature in more modern MMOs would be Warhammer online's Public Quests and their derivatives (Rift, GW2 Dynamic events).
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    I'm curious about this statement. 

I HATE performance meters. With a passion. DPS / threat meters, in my opinion, does the opposite of what you suggest - they stifle creativity and make gamers lazy. I played LotRO for years and never saw what you are suggesting. 

LotRO, given that the game didn't use enrage timers for any bosses, never cared about DPS and in my experience this resulted in much more creative solutions to bosses. You could "brute force" it - bring lots of DPS and just kick its ass quickly. Or you could get creative - more buffs, more debuffs, more CC. The lack of DPS meters and threat meters inspired the players to find new solutions. Sometimes it would be "do more damage", but most times it involved better coordination. Whilst I have never played WoW, LotRO had (past tense) the deepest and most interesting combat mechanics I've ever played. 

Anyways, to the OP, the features / mechanics that I have enjoyed since 2005:

1) Deep combat mechanics

I love combat and I love beating things because I made the right decisions. MMOs are the only genre that have provided me with combat mechanics that have kept me engaged for long periods of time. LotRO is top of the list - between resource management, emergency cooldowns, support classes and inter-class dependancy, no MMO that I've played has come close to offering the combat depth of LotRO. Sadly, it's been dumbed down to oblivion now, but at launch and for a few years afterwards, it was excellent. The switch to action combat has removed that depth from the genre, but I'm hoping CU will bring it back. 

2) User Interfaces / Addons

Early user interfaces sucked. A lot of them still do (here's looking at you Wildstar!). But, overall, UI's have improved a lot and addons have made them even better. 

3) Huttball

Whilst I mostly despised SW:TOR, I found immense pleasure in Huttball. I generally prefer my PvP out in the open world, fighting over keeps and stuff, but Huttball was just a pleasure. It was PvP, but also a sports game, but also using my RPG character. More of this please!

4) In Game Voice Chat

I'm not sure if anyone other than LotRO did this, but having played a game with in game voice chat, then played MMOs without it.......wow, what a difference! As I'm sure most of you already know, voice chat makes grouping 10x easier (assuming someone leads). Having it built into the game made grouping a pleasure. The PUG scene in LotRO shits all over everything else. Not only are people friendlier, the success rate is so much higher than text-only PUGs. More, it made the PvP scene infinitely better. It meant 24 people from 24 different guilds could join together in a raid and, with the flick of a button, have piss easy communication. Nothing I have ever seen in my time in MMOs has done more to promote a positive grouping mentality in the community than in game voice chat. 

Beyond that....meh. Most of the things I love about MMOs (open world pvp, grouping, social stuff) was around before WoW, and most of the innovations that have come post WoW have been moving the genre away from what I enjoy. 
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    The autopilot features mmorpg's have.  Now I can let the game play itself while I do something fun.  :wink:
    iixviiiixgervaise1

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Kyleran said:
    Cash shops, especially those that let a player buy their way to the top, a terrific counter to the days when only no-lifers dominated MMOs.

B)

I don't like cash shops, but I love the fact that they exist because it get those always going on about "old school" all exasperated. Who needs television when you've got MMORPG.com. Best comedy in decades.

KyleranAzaron_Nightblade

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Vardahoth said:
    <snip>
    <snip>

Solo play vs group play - I thought the whole point of an mmorpg was to play with people. If I wanted to play solo games I would play solo rpg games.

Easy to say but ..

When I played EQ1 my main was a 'chanter. For those who never experienced EQ1 in a group an enchanter had two function: crowd control on a groups of mobs so that the party could then take them down in smaller numbers and to cast buffs. A lot of buffs. On all party members and all party pets. Those pullers rarely checked to see if you had to redo buffs - but expected you to cc; everyone else would get ansty if there buffs were going down. 

So I took time out to solo mobs. A lot of 'chanters seemed to think this wasn't possible. It was. And it was soooo restful.

So better solo content - on one level I don't see any harm. Although I "agree" that solo rpgs will usually offer a better experience.

I know what you mean though and I think the answer is "what is an mmo from the game company's perspective?".

Now there have been lots of threads in which you, me, everyone and their dog have weighed in but - at the end of the day - the only opinion that matters is that of the publisher. And their goal is not to make "an mmo" or "a solo rpg" but to make "a profitable game".

So today we usually get a game that (tries) to appeal to more people "the many, not the few". And if that means we get solo and multi-player stuff combined then that is what we get.

So in summary what it comes down to is that the whole point of an "mmorpg" - as far as the publisher is concerned - is to make money.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2017
    "I like combat" that is so vague it really says nothing.
    What is it about combat you like because what i am seeing is more a case and proof that there is nothing newish in modern mmos,everything has already been done,leading one to believe these newish devs are just copy cats or not smart enough/creative enough.

Seeing so many mention stuff already done long ago really says a lot about lack of knowledge in the gaming genre of mmorpg's.

Tim Eisen said server stability ! Would love to agree but is not a fact.All depends on how recent we are talking when claiming MODERN.There have been some games,especially when first released needing que ues,so it is nearly impossible to test server stability if you limit connections.A perfect example is the very old 15 years FFXi,they  allowed massive connects,so many people were banging into each other and massive lag in some areas,yet the server never booted any player i can remember nor did the servers ever fail so yeah just saying,this is again nothing new for stability.Point being,if you limit connections you are not proving anything with server stability.

DmKano has at least got a few ,i was thinking nobody really knows enough to claim MODERN ideas.,
    I'll weigh in on his mentions.
    Destructible world's..YES a very good SORT of modern idea ,although done long ago in fps's it is newish to mmo's.
    NONE of the rest is a positive for me,a complete negative actually but skip to 11,yes higher graphics.However see this is why opinions MATTER,we have all heard for years from MANY talking about  art style and such,personally i prefer higher end work but many have said they like lower end work.

Deep combat...haha this happens to be my most sought after req for a mmorpg,FFXI already 15 years ago and why i struggle to find a newish game because they do NOT have combat depth to the same degree of FFXI.BTW combat covers a lot of areas,NOT just your player,it involves the mobs as well for example a FFXI Renkai system and player to player combos NOT solo combos.

bottom line?Would love to hear about newish ideas,frankly i see very few,yes Huttball but that is not a plausible idea for most mmo's,it sort of fit SWTOR's LORE design but would look retarded if trying to do it in say a knight/chivalry mmo.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2017
    I can add something and it not just relegated to MMO's although helps them the most and that is ....Cloud servers.This is what is going to allow devs to go that extra step in game design however cost can stil be a problem and i still see a lot of CHEAP studios only wanting to deliver what is cost effective and not what is making modern games better.
    To be honest,i have played a LOT of gaming and i struggled to think of one idea that is new to modern gaming.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Reduction of downtime between combat
    Multiple talent specs
    Removal of elemental resistance gear
    Azaron_Nightblade
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    edited September 2017
    Vardahoth said:

Solo play vs group play - I thought the whole point of an mmorpg was to play with people. If I wanted to play solo games I would play solo rpg games.

The whole point of playing any game is to have fun.

The whole point of an MMORPG is to provide the potential to play with others, in some on a rather grand scale... not the need to do so.

There are many elements of MMORPGs that solo RPGs simply don't emulate. As such the latter isn't a true replacement for playing solo in the former.
    Nyctelios said:
    As I said before: I like the approach on non-combat "jobs" as actual classes (Final Fantasy 14) or put effort to create mini games or puzzles about gathering and crafting, like Allods and Black Desert do. It wasn't necessary, yet they did. So here am I; The only guy, maybe, that enjoys pulling that cart full of coal trying to keep balance. Or getting milk from cows, following the mini game and so on. I truly enjoy them - I want more things like that flashed out.

And a more action "arcade" gameplay approach that games like Gw2 have pleases me - so does their "dynamic events" even if they are not that dynamic to begin with. I like the concept of a cyclic world rather than a static one and I hope someone in the future take this concept and fully develop it so it feel organic and natural as intended.
    The crafting of FFXIV is quite nice, requiring some activity by the player as opposed to just pushing a crafting button. Although an older game EQ 2 had something similar (though didn't have the class aspect to it that FFXIV has.)

In my short trial of BDO I found the one balancing task I encountered (a wheelbarrow) to be rather annoying and I never got into moving about carts and such. There were a lot of aspects of that game (such as the nodes) that I found rather contrived and thus off putting. That may be because they didn't seem to me all that well explained. The combat style was interesting though.
  • paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198
    I like voice acting, and I like the visual indication on what's happening with a boss, like is it a AOE and where is it hitting etc. Rather than just looking at the cast bar and try to remeber if that was a cone spell or a 360 etc.
    Octagon7711
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    For modern day MMORPGs everything is usually pretty decent  such as story, cinematics, graphics etc. The only thing that lets quite alot of the games in the genre down is the gameplay. As even some of the shittiest games have a good story behind it the game just sucks. With exceptions.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Gorwe said:
    One word: TRANSMORGRIFICATION! I've had it with choosing between stats and looks. Was the stupidest thing ever. Long live Transmog!
    Absolutely. I hate how every MMO has some solid looking newb armor, generally some really good but not overly fancy mid-range armor, and then when you hit max level they take a three year old and have them paste additions onto your armor then give him a few cans of paint and tell him to go nuts.

Max level armor is just gaudy crap in nearly every MMO. Whenever possible I go back and make my armor look like what I was wearing as a newb or mid-level character.
    Gorwe