Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Okay WTF is a MMO? Really?

Comments

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    I'd much rather be stupid for having a opinion than be a coward who hurls insults at people for having a opinion. 
    TheScavengerJamesGoblin
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

All MMOs instance you off when you need to do group content. ALL.

WoW legion had that pre event.. it was instanced off into different groups. The one with the demon invasion.  There wasnt 1000 people in the same instance. More like 40. All the games I mentioned do the same thing just at a smaller scale.  
    TheScavenger
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2017
    klash2def said:
    I'd much rather be stupid for having a opinion than be a coward who hurls insults at people for having a opinion. 
    No, you're just stupid.  Period, dot.  Not for having an opinion, but for willful ignorance.
    TheScavengerIceAgeMaurgrimJamesGoblin

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    klash2def said:

WoW legion had that pre event.. it was instanced off into different groups. The one with the demon invasion.  There wasnt 1000 people in the same instance. More like 40. All the games I mentioned do the same thing just at a smaller scale.  
    False
    TheScavengerLimnic
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:

False
    Okay please name the game CURRENTLY active that has 1000 people in the same instance.
    TheScavenger

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    klash2def said:

Check out my thread, it explains how MMOs are now and how its far broader

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/467918/like-genders-the-mmo-definition-has-evolved-and-the-old-definition-no-longer-applies#latest

You and I won't get many agreements here on MMORPG.com though. The old school MMOers congregate here and can't let go of the past. Other sites are far more open to the new definition of MMOs.

MMOs have changed a lot and there are far more MMOs than there used to be, but people on this site refuse to keep up with the times and are stuck in the past and refuse to call them MMOs

Like I said in my thread. The vast majority of the time in WoW is spent in 6 player sized groups (dungeons). Old MMOs that would never be seen as massive, but MMOs have changed and have a far broader definition than before. The old definition is obsolete.
    klash2defIselinMaurgrim

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:

False
    Okay please name the game CURRENTLY active that has 1000 people in the same instance.
    First of all thats not what you said ... Dont move the goal posts ...

you said "All MMOs instance you off when you need to do group content. ALL."

Now ..

UO
         DAOC
          DArkfall
           Eve
            Runescape
              Everquest

For starters ......there are more :)
    LimnicJamesGoblin
    klash2def said:
    No, you're just stupid.  Period, dot.  Not for having an opinion, but for willful ignorance.
    and you are a coward. period. 

How am I ignorant? Its my OPINION.. what don't you understand about opinion? Is English your second language or some shit? IDK about where you live but here every grown ass man is entitled to their opinion. Just because a person does not share the same as you does not make them ignorant. I could say you are ignorant and act all high and mighty like I know something you don't know but I'm not.. I'm just giving my opinion.

If my opinion bothers you that bad you can send me a message to discuss but I'm done talking to you here because I don't want to stoop to your level and start insulting you back, because its going to go somewhere you don't want it to go.

I'm not that guy. I don't do internet beef. I'm just giving my opinion bro. Let it be that. Stop insulting me. I'm telling you.
    TheScavengerJamesGoblin

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    klash2def said:

While Scorchien failed to clarify or explain his position at all, if he is saying the statement that all group content is done in instances then he would be correct. To name a few, there is plenty of group content in EVE that is not instanced. All the world content in ArcheAge. Wurm Rifts, etc.

The difference between a true MMO and fully instanced games is the Open World aspect. The fact that specific parts of the map can host hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. This enables content not available in other games, which is what gives MMORPGs a meaningful distinction from other titles.

For instance, my favorite content is small group Open World PvP. Where you roam around the open world with a gang of buddies and fight other players and groups of players you encounter. Now small group PvP is obviously possible in a game like Destiny. But when the player cap is 20 that means a 10v10 requires the entire population of the shard you are in divide itself evenly in half and meet up to fight.

A random encounter of two small to moderate sized groups is simply not possible in that kind of environment. So when it comes down to it you can dress a pig in lipstick and call it Natalie Portman but the kind of "MMO" you are describing not only fails to qualify under the definition of MMO accepted by most players (Hence why you keep seeing people say it is not all across the internet apparently) but it fails to deliver to me the kind of content I play MMOs for.
    FaunNoeklash2defLimnicJamesGoblin
    Yes, because you haven't been taking a confrontational attitude with anyone who disagrees with you.

I literally laughed when I read you claim you haven't been acting all high and mighty.  You've responded incredulously to anyone who disagrees with you.

Just so we're clear:

Incredulous - (adjective) unwilling or unable to believe something.

Just so you don't go off on some tangent about shit that isn't pertinent.

TheScavengerJamesGoblin

Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:

False

Now ..

UO
         DAOC
          DArkfall
           Eve
            Runescape
              Everquest

I literally said there wasn't 1000 people read my post again You quoted. I've been saying that the whole time. MMO seems to be attached to a number of people in a instance for a lot posters here. 

All the games you listed are old world games and I'll give you EVE i played it before it sure felt like 1000 maybe not but it felt like it. 

But the other games.. so you are saying you can do raids and GROUP CONTENT not solo.. GROUP with up to 1000 people? 

Even if so, you wont find games like that being made now, because its a old expensive way of thinking. All those games are old..
    TheScavengerIselinJamesGoblin

• FaunNoeFaunNoe Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Just because a vanilla cake has chocolate sprinkles on it doesn't make it a chocolate cake. 
    klash2defJamesGoblin
    edited September 2017
    Yes, because you haven't been taking a confrontational attitude with anyone who disagrees with you.

I literally laughed when I read you claim you haven't been acting all high and mighty.  You've responded incredulously to anyone who disagrees with you.

Just so we're clear:

No the fuck I haven't you lying sack of shit. I have been having engaging debates and convos with everyone but you and one other person because you keep insulting me. You are so fragile that reading another persons opinion infuriates you to the point you have to throw insults to try to take away from my point, that's how I know I'm making sense. You just don't want to get it. 

Again, its my opinion based on what I observe I don't care if you like it and damn sure dont care if you agree..  Im not going to lose any sleep, hell you can die tonight for all I care I wouldn't bat an eyelash my dude. :wink:

Edit: pardon my language. Teehee! 
    TheScavengerMadFrenchieJamesGoblin

klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:

False

Now ..

UO
         DAOC
          DArkfall
           Eve
            Runescape
              Everquest

I literally said there wasn't 1000 people read my post again You quoted. I've been saying that the whole time. MMO seems to be attached to a number of people in a instance for a lot posters here. 

All the games you listed are old world games and I'll give you EVE i played it before it sure felt like 1000 maybe not but it felt like it. 

But the other games.. so you are saying you can do raids and GROUP CONTENT not solo.. GROUP with up to 1000 people? 

Even if so, you wont find games like that being made now, because its a old expensive way of thinking. All those games are old..
         I quoted your statement ... That statement on its own merits is False..........
    IselinTheScavenger
    edited September 2017
    Eldurian said:
    klash2def said:

While Scorchien failed to clarify or explain his position at all, if he is saying the statement that all group content is done in instances then he would be correct. To name a few, there is plenty of group content in EVE that is not instanced. All the world content in ArcheAge. Wurm Rifts, etc.

The difference between a true MMO and fully instanced games is the Open World aspect. The fact that specific parts of the map can host hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. This enables content not available in other games, which is what gives MMORPGs a meaningful distinction from other titles.

For instance, my favorite content is small group Open World PvP. Where you roam around the open world with a gang of buddies and fight other players and groups of players you encounter. Now small group PvP is obviously possible in a game like Destiny. But when the player cap is 20 that means a 10v10 requires the entire population of the shard you are in divide itself evenly in half and meet up to fight.

A random encounter of two small to moderate sized groups is simply not possible in that kind of environment. So when it comes down to it you can dress a pig in lipstick and call it Natalie Portman but the kind of "MMO" you are describing not only fails to qualify under the definition of MMO accepted by most players (Hence why you keep seeing people say it is not all across the internet apparently) but it fails to deliver to me the kind of content I play MMOs for.
    Now About the open world part.. I hear where you are coming from, but I'm curious is there a difference between custom content (people making up things to do with friends) and Group Content (Raids, Dungeons, Quests) ?

the reason I ask is because if Destiny allows you to do group content the same way you described in the open world.. For instance you see a beacon that is relaying a random mission to take out a cabal camp.. everyone in that area can hear that same message and do that misson with you. Regardless of if they are in your fire team or not.. Thats 1 type of group content in destiny.

On WoW open world PVP only happens on PVP servers? I may be super off on that cause I haven't played since forever, but Unless you attack a city you cant just pvp unless you request a duel? Did that change?  
    TheScavengerJamesGoblin

Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:

False

Now ..

UO
         DAOC
          DArkfall
           Eve
            Runescape
              Everquest

I quoted your statement ... That statement on its own merits is False..........
    Are the games you listed not old you did you mean to quote something else?
    TheScavengerJamesGoblin

edited September 2017
    klash2def said:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/467918/like-genders-the-mmo-definition-has-evolved-and-the-old-definition-no-longer-applies#latest

You and I won't get many agreements here on MMORPG.com though. The old school MMOers congregate here and can't let go of the past. Other sites are far more open to the new definition of MMOs.

MMOs have changed a lot and there are far more MMOs than there used to be, but people on this site refuse to keep up with the times and are stuck in the past and refuse to call them MMOs

Like I said in my thread. The vast majority of the time in WoW is spent in 6 player sized groups (dungeons). Old MMOs that would never be seen as massive, but MMOs have changed and have a far broader definition than before. The old definition is obsolete.
    They arent going to read this because it doesn't fit the narrative they want to build currently. You made some very valid points. I've never even seen this before but its exactly whats happening in this thread. 

Its very true man, people will always always resist change, but be proud that you are one of the ones to embrace it first! Usually its resist for years until they have no choice because there is no other option but the change. 

Give it some time. 

Edit: FTR it doesnt matter what the old school crowd believes they are probably going to die still wishing for the old days instead of looking for the good in whats right in front of them. Everything is auto hate with them, but Im not letting how another person thinks run me off a website I frequent to get news. I mean I could go to youtube only but i like the idea of this place and ive been here for years..but some of the people just.. I read more than I post.. ive seen so much bs on this site over the years from insult hurling, racism, to sexism to plain out trolling, endless fights.. its just wild but its the nature of free speech on the internet. In the case of MMOs the old way is dead. There is something new happening. 
    TheScavenger

klash2def said:

Just so we're clear:

No the fuck I haven't you lying sack of shit. I have been having engaging debates and convos with everyone but you and one other person because you keep insulting me. You are so fragile that reading another persons opinion infuriates you to the point you have to throw insults to try to take away from my point, that's how I know I'm making sense. You just don't want to get it. 

Again, its my opinion based on what I observe I don't care if you like it and damn sure dont care if you agree..  Im not going to lose any sleep, hell you can die tonight for all I care I wouldn't bat an eyelash my dude. :wink:

There it is, that anger that comes with ignorance called out.

I thrive off those anger vibes.  Yum!
    TheScavengerCecropiaJamesGoblin

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:

They arent going to read this because it doesn't fit the narrative they want to build currently. You made some very valid points. I've never even seen this before but its exactly whats happening in this thread. 

Its very true man, people will always always resist change, but be proud that you are one of the ones to embrace it first! Usually its resist for years until they have no choice because there is no other option but the change. 

Give it some time. 
    yeah, sometimes though it feels like arguing with a brick wall lol. I think old school MMOers tend to be older, and older people don't embrace change as much as young folk. Not entirely their fault, its just getting old in general you become more resistent to "new" things.

It is also possible maybe they like to live in their bubble as they post every day about wanting an oldschool experience (which every oldschool MMO to come out has failed, like Vanguard Saga of Heroes being a great example) and how all new MMOs suck.
    klash2def

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

klash2def said:

Just so we're clear:

There it is, that anger that comes with ignorance called out.

I thrive off those anger vibes.  Yum!
    Trust me Im not angry but I have to check you because you are a weak little coward hiding behind a username. You insulted me until you got a reaction, you got your reaction now begone! 
    TheScavengerJamesGoblin

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    edited September 2017
    Why are you so full of yourself?

"old people don't like change"

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    This is an MMO. Roughly 200 players all in the same non-instanced area fighting the same world boss.

ScorchienFaunNoeJamesGoblin
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:

Give it some time. 
    yeah, sometimes though it feels like arguing with a brick wall lol. I think old school MMOers tend to be older, and older people don't embrace change as much as young folk. Not entirely their fault, its just getting old in general you become more resistent to "new" things.

It is also possible maybe they like to live in their bubble as they post every day about wanting an oldschool experience (which every oldschool MMO to come out has failed, like Vanguard Saga of Heroes being a great example) and how all new MMOs suck.
    thats exactly what it is, but again its our right, sometimes people dont get it because it hasn't exactly "happened yet" enough to where they are forced to accept. You are right though.. all i see on this site is people crying about their bubble bursting. If they love old school SO much why arent all your old school games still running successfully? OH maybe cause  most people have moved on to 2017 and beyond.. so many people stuck in 99-2005 jesus let it go! lol FYI YOUR ERA IS DEAD ITS NOT COMING BACK! EVER! ITS A WRAP! Come check out MMOs in the future! Its not that bad, we MMO players are a fun bunch still! Little more streamlined but still the same idea!

"All mmos" suck is a shitty opinion to have just because its not like your boring ass vanilla mmo.
    TheScavenger

Old Heads Who Hate MMOs Today

Try these games and take your meds! Also smiling a little bit when a new game is announced? 

Warframe
    The Division
    Destiny
    Absolver
    GTA Online
    Star Citizen
    Dauntless
    Elite Dangerous
    Elder Scrolls Online
    SWTOR
    Albion Online
    TheScavengerPhaserlightJamesGoblin

edited September 2017
    Tofke said:
    Why are you so full of yourself?

"old people don't like change"

idk where that quote came from but I didnt say that. I personally said people who resist change have a old way of thinking it has nothing to do with age, its the way they think ,they think old. I've said this several times.

Please read before trying to come for me okay thanks..

Edit: changed you to they before taken out of context to fit another narrative. 
    TheScavengerJamesGoblin