Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Okay WTF is a MMO? Really?

Comments

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited September 2017
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Annnnnnddddddd...  You're still arguing a red herring.  Noice!!
    annnnnnnnnnnddddd you are still missing the point. Noicer!!!
    Not at all.  You think forcing multiplayer on players and using dungeon crawling as group content qualifies Destiny to be an MMORPG.  Only, nothing about sharing the game world or dungeon crawling defines an MMORPG.  It qualifies it as multiplayer and RPG, respectively.  Additional features are needed to qualify it as massively multiplayer.
    That's exactly why Kano saying above that Narius is also right shows the root of the ignorance problem: when some online game has features resembling those historically found in MMOs, which is happening more and more these days, some people are quick to jump on the bandwagon and call them an MMO despite the fact that there is nothing massively multiplayer about it. Some MMOs have LFG tools so other games that have LFG lobbies must also be MMOs. Some MMOs have non-persistent instances for 4 or 5 players... therefore other multiplayer games with non persistent instances for 4 or 5 players must also be an MMO. People don't talk much in MMOs and they maybe know 40 people in a given MMO they play... therefore games with 40 people max *like survival games) are also MMOs. Likewise something that IS an MMO doesn't stop being one when the population is low even if it feels that way to you. If you're in a forest and have all your atention focused on one tree, you're still in a fucking forest.

I can see that some MP games provide an experience that is similar to that of some modern MMOs but that still doesn't make them MMOs. Not that it really makes much difference if you enjoy it: you can call it Bob if that works for you.

But people like the OP, for some unfathomable reason want to call non-MMOs, MMOs as if that mattered. I guess he must hold the MMO descriptor in high regard and wants whatever he likes to be labeled that way. I can see a site wanting to get more clicks doing it but WhyTF would a player do it?

If we were actually playing an MMO I see a lot of people in this thread dying from standing in stupid.

So is Destiny an MMO?
    It's a game.
    Destiny is a MMORPG-FPS game Yes.
    Stop resisting change and you will understand. You old heads kill me.. you cry and whine and bitch about "OH THE MMO IS DEAD!" "IT JUST NOT THE SAME!" "I WANT MY BLOCKY AVATAR BACK!"  The moment something new happens all I hear is More bitching and resisting. You cant please old MMO players and the MMO genre (YES) wont/CANT grow until the current way of thinking dies out.

EMBRACE CHANGE, its good for you.
    Like I said, standing in stupid
    Standing?  I imagine he'll be drowning in it any second.
    Yeah he thinks it's an age issue now. Sort of reminds me of the DPS dying like flies in a dungeon PUG because they insist on standing in stupid despite all the brightly colored telegraphs who then blame the healer :)

I never said it was a age thing. I said clearly if you read my other posts, that its a way of thinking nothing to do with age. You think old. Period. 

Nothing I said is wrong. You just cant get past your mind that your favorite era of gaming is over and that's why most of you play on private emu servers because you are resisting the change that is happening. 

This whole thread is people trying to twist my words or OPINION as if I said Destiny is the answer to the worlds issues.. I simply said its a MMO because it has ALL the features other MMOs have. What I said is true. It does. The argument you keep bring up is "its not big enough!"

So is a smartphone in 2017 a computer? Cant it do everything a computer can do? WHY YES IT CAN! Its a TYPE of computer! WOW amazing How time forces evolution!  OH wait.. according to the people who resist change a Phone is Not and cant be a computer because its called a phone and its not big enough, oh and you cant change the graphics card! man..FOH with that bs. 

You people cant deal with change for reasons I will never know, but guess what? It doesn't matter because you can resist change all you want but its still going to happen. Destiny is a step in the right direction for MMOs.. insult me all you want..call me stupid all you want.. I am not a person who resists change unlike you, I believe its necessary for evolution, instead of resist I compare and observe and try to figure out if it really is the direction things are/could/should go in.

You don't have to like it, Its my opinion.. but I'm not going to tolerate being disrespected for having my opinion either. I'm a grown ass man.  You have your Opinion, I have mine. 
    ExcessionTheScavengerMaurgrimJamesGoblin
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    klash2def said:

Bro.. you do realize that in WoW you are being ported into a instance with a small group of people also. Its not 1000s of people running around freely EVER in any mmo at any time. 

Also the same way you get to a raid or mission in wow is the same way you do in Destiny. You group up and go there and your team is ported to a instance. Its the same exact thing.
    Last time I checked Wow had over 1 Million currently active subscriptions and that it has a persistent, open world environment that everyone plays in and can wander around in freely at the same time with the exception of the instanced content.  The instanced content is NOT the entirety of the game and actually has a fixed location that people can goto and enter said content or they can choose to be ported.

I also pointed out your question about the number of people on screen isn't relevant because the number of people is spread out across the massive game world, but that they're still in the same exact game world and can meet up anywhere in that game world.
    Excession
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    A glorified chat room. 

Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    So then that mean Star Citizen, a game being called MMO, isnt REALLY a MMO since it can only 16 people at once in a instance? 
    I do have to ask... why is calling games an MMO so important to you? Are you only allowed to play MMOs or something?
    I never said it was. For the 100th time stop twisting my damn words. I simply posed a question with my viewpoint of the answer I believe and provided evidence so you understand WHY I believe it so. 
    ExcessionTheScavenger
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Annnnnnddddddd...  You're still arguing a red herring.  Noice!!
    annnnnnnnnnnddddd you are still missing the point. Noicer!!!
    Not at all.  You think forcing multiplayer on players and using dungeon crawling as group content qualifies Destiny to be an MMORPG.  Only, nothing about sharing the game world or dungeon crawling defines an MMORPG.  It qualifies it as multiplayer and RPG, respectively.  Additional features are needed to qualify it as massively multiplayer.
    That's exactly why Kano saying above that Narius is also right shows the root of the ignorance problem: when some online game has features resembling those historically found in MMOs, which is happening more and more these days, some people are quick to jump on the bandwagon and call them an MMO despite the fact that there is nothing massively multiplayer about it. Some MMOs have LFG tools so other games that have LFG lobbies must also be MMOs. Some MMOs have non-persistent instances for 4 or 5 players... therefore other multiplayer games with non persistent instances for 4 or 5 players must also be an MMO. People don't talk much in MMOs and they maybe know 40 people in a given MMO they play... therefore games with 40 people max *like survival games) are also MMOs. Likewise something that IS an MMO doesn't stop being one when the population is low even if it feels that way to you. If you're in a forest and have all your atention focused on one tree, you're still in a fucking forest.

I can see that some MP games provide an experience that is similar to that of some modern MMOs but that still doesn't make them MMOs. Not that it really makes much difference if you enjoy it: you can call it Bob if that works for you.

But people like the OP, for some unfathomable reason want to call non-MMOs, MMOs as if that mattered. I guess he must hold the MMO descriptor in high regard and wants whatever he likes to be labeled that way. I can see a site wanting to get more clicks doing it but WhyTF would a player do it?

If we were actually playing an MMO I see a lot of people in this thread dying from standing in stupid.

So is Destiny an MMO?
    It's a game.
    Destiny is a MMORPG-FPS game Yes.
    Stop resisting change and you will understand. You old heads kill me.. you cry and whine and bitch about "OH THE MMO IS DEAD!" "IT JUST NOT THE SAME!" "I WANT MY BLOCKY AVATAR BACK!"  The moment something new happens all I hear is More bitching and resisting. You cant please old MMO players and the MMO genre (YES) wont/CANT grow until the current way of thinking dies out.

EMBRACE CHANGE, its good for you.
    Like I said, standing in stupid
    Standing?  I imagine he'll be drowning in it any second.
    Yeah he thinks it's an age issue now. Sort of reminds me of the DPS dying like flies in a dungeon PUG because they insist on standing in stupid despite all the brightly colored telegraphs who then blame the healer :)

I never said it was a age thing. I said clearly if you read my other posts, that its a way of thinking nothing to do with age. You think old. Period. 

Nothing I said is wrong. You just cant get past your mind that your favorite era of gaming is over and that's why most of you play on private emu servers because you are resisting the change that is happening. 

This whole thread is people trying to twist my words or OPINION as if I said Destiny is the answer to the worlds issues.. I simply said its a MMO because it has ALL the features other MMOs have. What I said is true. It does. The argument you keep bring up is "its not big enough!"

So is a smartphone in 2017 a computer? Cant it do everything a computer can do? WHY YES IT CAN! Its a TYPE of computer! WOW amazing How time forces evolution!  OH wait.. according to the people who resist change a Phone is Not and cant be a computer because its called a phone and its not big enough, oh and you cant change the graphics card! man..FOH with that bs. 

You people cant deal with change for reasons I will never know, but guess what? It doesn't matter because you can resist change all you want but its still going to happen. Destiny is a step in the right direction for MMOs.. insult me all you want..call me stupid all you want.. I am not a person who resists change unlike you, I believe its necessary for evolution, instead of resist I compare and observe and try to figure out if it really is the direction things are should go in.

You don't have to like it, Its my opinion.. but I'm not going to tolerate being disrespected for having my opinion either. I'm a grown ass man.  You have your Opinion, I have mine. 
    You do know what "standing in stupid" is don't you? You might not since it's an MMO thing that people who play real MMOs say. It's when you don't get out of the way of incoming massive damage when the area that will be affected is clearly shown to you.

Make more sense now?

So that takes me back to my question... why do you want Destiny 2 to be called an MMO so badly? How is it important?
    ExcessionCecropiaTheScavengerJamesGoblin
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited September 2017
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    So then that mean Star Citizen, a game being called MMO, isnt REALLY a MMO since it can only 16 people at once in a instance? 
    I do have to ask... why is calling games an MMO so important to you? Are you only allowed to play MMOs or something?
    I never said it was. For the 100th time stop twisting my damn words. I simply posed a question with my viewpoint of the answer I believe and provided evidence so you understand WHY I believe it so. 
    You didn't ask an innocent question. You asserted that it IS an MMO and din't like the replies you got and then you went on the offensive. So stop playing the victim while you characterize those who disagree with you, which is the vast majority in this thread, as being unable to adapt and have old thinking.

You know the stuff you wrote earlier in the thread? We can still see it. We know what you said and how you said it. 
    MadFrenchieExcessionTheScavengerMaurgrimJamesGoblin
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    You do know what "standing in stupid" is don't you? You might not since it's an MMO thing that people who play real MMOs say. It's when you don't get out of the way of incoming massive damage when the area that will be affected is clearly shown to you.

Make more sense now?

So that takes me back to my question... why do you want Destiny 2 to be called an MMO so badly? How is it important?
    Nah I don't know what that means, sounds like some old people shit to me.. REAL MMOs.. smh.. what does that even mean? You talking about a Vanilla WoW emu? Haha..okayyy..
    Regardless keep your old insults to yourself, we are having a conversation. I didn't insult you. 

I never said I want, or need Destiny to be called a MMO.. I asked a question about if it is or not. It obviously has a lot of the usual MMO elements down to raid mechanics so it is my opinion that it is a MMO. Again, that's my opinion..furthermore I'm a grown ass man and I'm entitled to my own opinion just like you are. I only pointed out factual things about Destiny that it has in common with MMOs..and there's a lot, so to me.. MMO.

IselinExcessionTheScavenger

Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    You didn't ask an innocent question. You asserted that it IS an MMO and din't like the replies you got and then you went on the offensive. So stop playing the victim while you characterize those who disagree with you, which is the vast majority in this thread, as being unable to adapt and have old thinking.

You know the stuff you wrote earlier in the thread? We can still see it. We know what you said and how you said it. 
    OH forgive me! I didnt realize my question was SINISTER! Was asking what the community thought about Destiny being a MMO a Sinister question? Did I spook you? Apologies.

All I did was ask what a MMO was then say Destiny is a MMO in MY OP then explained why. I dont care about people not agreeing with me but as I said, I wont tolerate being disrespected when I didnt do that to you. You disrespected me calling me "stupid", "drowning in stupid" all this bs because I gave my Opinion on what a MMO is.. WTF how is not innocent? Asking a question, giving my POV, defending my POV... is sinister? in what world? 

There isnt a victim stop trying to make this narrative. I said something very simple and plain. You didnt like that I'm defending myself and everything I'm saying makes sense. Destiny shares a lot with many MMOs (True) there is no reason it cant be considered as a MMO IMO (My OPINION).

Again. Just stop responding. I don't care if you agree my dude..you don't make my world turn, and I'm not going to lose any sleep over this.. I was just giving my OP about it because that's what a forum is for. If you cant handle it then hey idk what to tell you. 

As for what I said.. WHAT I said was people who resist change are people who think old. That's true, so if the shoe fits wear it not my business..  but I didn't ONE TIME say everybody in this thread who does not agree with me are old thinkers and cant adapt. Stop twisting my words to build your narrative. 
    IselinExcessionTheScavengerJamesGoblin

klash2def said:

As for what I said.. WHAT I said was people who resist change are people who think old. That's true, so if the shoe fits wear it not my business..  but I didn't ONE TIME say everybody in this thread who does not agree with me are old thinkers and cant adapt. Stop twisting my words to build your narrative. 
    Oh look your 2nd post in this thread in response to Locke:

People have to stop resisting change that is why the mmo market as a whole is in the shape it is in now. People want new things but when they get it, they resist and cry about the "Old Ways"

See I told you what you said earlier was still there.

Anyway... dude... have a nice life and have fun playing all them there MMOs that you know so much about.
    klash2defExcessionCecropiaTheScavengerMaurgrimJamesGoblin

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

I recommend some of you read the book Singularity by Ray Kurzwiel and watch his videos in general. He is a futurist (Much Like myself) He talks a lot about how change will always be met with resistance whether its good or bad, humans don't naturally like change.

I remember when people were mad at fully voiced games now almost every game is fully voiced. 

Print companies used to say "Print isn't dead!" Now they all have online magazines. Its cheaper.
    Change.
    ExcessionTheScavenger

edited September 2017
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

People have to stop resisting change that is why the mmo market as a whole is in the shape it is in now. People want new things but when they get it, they resist and cry about the "Old Ways"

Anyway... dude... have a nice life and have fun playing all them there MMOs that you know so much about.
    You did not make one single point here. What? You proved my point if anything. I said People have to stop resisting change. Yes they should..I said people want new things but when they get them they cry about the old ways.. Yes thats true.

Whats your point? You quoted me saying the same exact thing twice LOL.. 

IS this supposed to prove I said everyone who disagrees with me is old and cant adapt? Because it doesn't. You know why right? Because I never said it, you just tried to twist my words again and failed.
    ExcessionTheScavenger

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    klash2def said:
    I recommend some of you read the book Singularity by Ray Kurzwiel and watch his videos in general. He is a futurist (Much Like myself) He talks a lot about how change will always be met with resistance whether its good or bad, humans don't naturally like change.

I remember when people were mad at fully voiced games now almost every game is fully voiced. 

Print companies used to say "Print isn't dead!" Now they all have online magazines. Its cheaper.
    Change.
    The fuck comparation is that?

Listen. Call whatever you want your Destiny 2, but not MMO! 
    ExcessionTheScavengerMaurgrim

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

edited September 2017
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

You did not make one single point here. What? You proved my point if anything. I said People have to stop resisting change. Yes they should..I said people want new things but when they get them they cry about the old ways.. Yes thats true.

IS this supposed to prove I said everyone who disagrees with me is old and cant adapt? Because it doesn't. You know why right? Because I never said it, you just tried to twist my words again and failed again because I wont let you get away with it. 
    OMG... you ASSUMED that the reason people don't agree with your wacky labeling is because they're resisting change. Capisce Mr. futurama?
    ScorchienExcessionTheScavengerJamesGoblin

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Vrika said:
    Quizzical said:

As such, the best definition of an MMO is the recursive one:  if liking game X is strongly correlated with liking other games that you'd previously have thought of as being an MMO, then game X is an MMO.  Even if it's a single-player offline game.
    I disagree. I fear there's enough correlation that all tabletop RPGs would be MMOs.
    Do you think that MMO players would tend to be far more likely to enjoy tabletop RPGs than gamers who prefer any other genre of game?  It's plausible that that could be the case, but it strikes me as unlikely.

And if it is the case, then how about making a massively multiplayer online tabletop RPG?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    So I tried consulting Wikipedia and learned that MMO stands for Mixed Metal Oxide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMO
    IselinExcessionTheScavenger
    Quizzical said:
    So I tried consulting Wikipedia and learned that MMO stands for Mixed Metal Oxide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMO
    Marine Mammal Observer is the first thing I always think of.
    sschruppTheScavengerCecropia

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

IceAge said:
    klash2def said:

Change.

Oh you are angry? Why? I didnt say anything sinister good sir? Why are you so angry? 
    ExcessionTheScavenger

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Destiny 2 is more of an MMO than most MMOs.

Real MMOs I'd consider are ones like SWG or EVE Online, with no instances (that is a co-op experience, not an MMO experience) and you can be part of one server filled with tens of thousands of players.

MMOs however that have only 5-10 people playing and only 40-50 at most at peak? Definitely not a massive experience, only a "potential" to be massive but that is all.
    Excessionklash2defIselinMaurgrim

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

IS this supposed to prove I said everyone who disagrees with me is old and cant adapt? Because it doesn't. You know why right? Because I never said it, you just tried to twist my words again and failed again because I wont let you get away with it. 
    OMG... you ASSUMED that the reason people don't agree with your wacky labeling is because they're resisting change. Capisce Mr. futurama?
    Again, I never once said anything about people who don't agree with me. That was you. Please find where I said "People who don't agree with me are _____" I never said anything like that. You did. I don't care who agrees with me as its my opinion. I'm not fragile like you obviously are. I don't need people to agree, I am simply making a point which you have failed to do.

You keep bringing up things I said then try to twist it to fit a narrative that keeps falling apart for you. 
    TheScavenger

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Also to add to the above. How are instances an MMO experience? I can do a dungeon with 6-8 people in WoW, but that isn't massively multiplayer. Where as, in EVE Online thousands take part in the same world and countless people can be in the same system with each other.

An instanced dungeon is more like playing a co-op game, not an MMO game. Definitely nothing massive about a tiny group in a dungeon.
    klash2def

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

I'm trying to google this massive online game world people are saying is real. With 1000s of people running around at once, I'm having a hard time finding it. Almost like its not real.. Last time I checked all MMOs instance off groups of people. Just like Destiny even if its smaller its the same idea. But OKAY..

Seems like to me some people are attached to a term from the old days and cant bear to see it applied to anything else. Peak Fragility. 
    TheScavengerMaurgrim

klash2def said:
    IceAge said:
    klash2def said:

Change.

Oh you are angry? Why? I didnt say anything sinister good sir? Why are you so angry? 
    Angry ? Because you have wet dreams to see Destiny 2 labeled as a MMO? Not going to happen. If your theory is right , meaning that you call a game now with 16 players per server a MMO ( since times changes ) , then in 10 years what would kids like you call 1 v 1 games? 
    TheScavenger

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

klash2def said:
    Seems like to me some people are attached to a term from the old days and cant bear to see it applied to anything else. Peak Fragility. 
    It's like you are trying to apply the term "Trucks" to "VAN's". See the difference? Yes, both auto vehicles, but different categories.
    TheScavenger

IceAge said:
    klash2def said:
    IceAge said:
    klash2def said:

Change.

Angry ? Because you have wet dreams to see Destiny 2 labeled as a MMO? Not going to happen. If your theory is right , meaning that you call a game now with 16 players per server a MMO ( since times changes ) , then in 10 years what would kids like you call 1 v 1 games? 
    I'm not a child, far from it.. Please calm down. 

Look at the trends not me. All these games have heavy MMO features not just some but A LOT.. so the argument is its instances are too small to be called a MMO but.. 

GTA Online - 20 Players per instance (75 Million Copies Sold)
    Star Citizen - 16 Players per instance (not sure of numbers sold still in alpha) 
    The Division-  24 players per instance (3.4 M Copies Sold)
    Destiny - 20 Players per instance (5.6 M Copies Sold)
    Anthem - Not announced but I bet its going to be around these numbers

The numbers are there, people are playing but its curated way differently than what you are used to.. 

Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the future of MMOs! Hate it or Love it, its happening! 

lawl

TheScavenger

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Literally offshore, 10 leagues deep, gulf of Mexico drowning in stupid.
    TheScavengerLimnicPhaserlightJamesGoblin