Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Okay WTF is a MMO? Really?

Comments

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Destiny has a shared world space. Raids, Loots, Dailies, Heroics in a 100% online experience. Thats a MMO! The old dinosaur people are the real reason the mmo market is stagnant! Let it grow! Stop resisting it and lets embrace it and see what happens. I don't care about all the sub genres.. its a MMORPG at the end of the day. Here's why.

In Destiny you play a ROLE of a Guardian trying to take back earth and other planets from the vex and cabal. See! That's already a RPG!

In Destiny you play online with 1000s of other people (Although not at once) to do quests, raids, heroics, that need GROUPS of people to finish and all the normal mmo things you do everyday.. SEE its already a MMO!

So lets combine MMO and RPG.. wow! sounds like a MMORPG to me! 

Its crazy how much resistance change is usually met with at first. Destiny is doing something new for the MMO market, and tbh its refreshing. Just because its not the traditional mmo does not make it an less of an MMO. Not when it does all the things a mmo does.

And Please folks stop saying COD.. Destiny is nothing like COD. In COD you pick a skin/loadout and jump into a arena style pvp match on random small maps or you play the single player campaign. COD is actually more like Halo.

Destiny is a online experience that has a open world that you can explore with your friends as your own personal custom Guardian. Destiny has Quests, Heroics, Raids that require teamwork and dailes.. how is that not a MMORPG? Its really starting to sound like there are a bunch of old dinosaur thinking people on this forum..notice I said thinking, not age.. stop resisting change, you'd be surprised how much good can come from change. 
    ExcessionTheScavenger
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    Loke666 said:
    MMOs Mean "Massive multiplayer online" so what is a MMO comes down to what the word "massive" means.

Here is what Cambridge dictionary say:

massive adjective

UK ​ /ˈmæs.ɪv/ US ​ /ˈmæs.ɪv/

B2 very large in sizeamount, or number:

They have a massive house.
    She died after taking a massive overdose of drugs.
    If the drought continuesdeaths will occur on a massive scale.

And it is number we are talking not size.

Destiny do have 16 as max players, is that right? (don't play myself so it could be more or less).

Is 16 a very large number of players?

Every bloody FPS game today have that many or more so I would say it is average, not very large.

Therefore is Destiny not a MMO and neither is Diablo 3. Any FPS game with 128 players on the other hand do qualify since that is indeed a very large number, like Joint Ops.
    Destiny has way more than 16 players on at a time. Are you thinking of GTA Online?
    And there are probably thousand of players online right now playing chess.  Chess still isn't an MMORPG.

does this hypothetical chess game have a world with background and lore for your avatar to explore with other people's Avatars?? If so then yes the hell it is a MMORPG.
    Even if it did, if you can only interact with one other player, it's still not an MMORPG.

Battlefield has lore, a world with backgound, and an avatar.  It's not an MMORPG.
    klash2defTheScavengerJamesGoblin

edited September 2017
    Destiny has already received a sub genre label: shared world shooter.  That's a pretty astute classification, as you're sharing the game world, but unable to do so with massive amounts of players.

Folks who wish to see continued development of MMORPGs do not, in any way, stand in the way of continued development of shared world shooters or MOBAs.  Why folks feel the need to assert that as a premise of their argument boggles me.  The popularity of CRPGs has little effect on the popularity of action RPGs.  They are only tangentially related by the RPG portion.
    TheScavengerJamesGoblin

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    klash2def said:
    Destiny has a shared world space. Raids, Loots, Dailies, Heroics in a 100% online experience. Thats a MMO! The old dinosaur people are the real reason the mmo market is stagnant! Let it grow! Stop resisting it and lets embrace it and see what happens. I don't care about all the sub genres.. its a MMORPG at the end of the day. Here's why.

In Destiny you play a ROLE of a Guardian trying to take back earth and other planets from the vex and cabal. See! That's already a RPG!

In Destiny you play online with 1000s of other people (Although not at once) to do quests, raids, heroics, that need GROUPS of people to finish and all the normal mmo things you do everyday.. SEE its already a MMO!

-snip-
    No one is arguing that Destiny is an RPG.  However with your definition of MMO Call of Duty would be an MMO since thousands of other people are playing it online at the same time you are.  What makes an MMO an MMO is that the game world is designed to house thousands of people at the same time.
    TheScavengerMaurgrimJamesGoblin
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    Loke666 said:
    MMOs Mean "Massive multiplayer online" so what is a MMO comes down to what the word "massive" means.

Here is what Cambridge dictionary say:

massive adjective

UK ​ /ˈmæs.ɪv/ US ​ /ˈmæs.ɪv/

B2 very large in sizeamount, or number:

They have a massive house.
    She died after taking a massive overdose of drugs.
    If the drought continuesdeaths will occur on a massive scale.

And it is number we are talking not size.

Destiny do have 16 as max players, is that right? (don't play myself so it could be more or less).

Is 16 a very large number of players?

Every bloody FPS game today have that many or more so I would say it is average, not very large.

Therefore is Destiny not a MMO and neither is Diablo 3. Any FPS game with 128 players on the other hand do qualify since that is indeed a very large number, like Joint Ops.
    Destiny has way more than 16 players on at a time. Are you thinking of GTA Online?
    And there are probably thousand of players online right now playing chess.  Chess still isn't an MMORPG.

does this hypothetical chess game have a world with background and lore for your avatar to explore with other people's Avatars?? If so then yes the hell it is a MMORPG.
    Even if it did, if you can only interact with one other player, it's still not an MMORPG.

Battlefield has lore, a world with backgound, and an avatar.  It's not an MMORPG.
    How does that apply to Destiny though? It makes no sense, I literally just told you what Destiny is. Idk who said you can only interact with one person in Destiny but its simply not true. 

Lets go back because I feel like you are trying to get around what I said. 

You said: "And there are probably thousand of players online right now playing chess.  Chess still isn't an MMORPG."

Cool. I asked you does your Chess game with 1000's of people have lore and a WORLD SPACE for your to interact with, do quests on with your Avatar and others Avatars? IF it does it an MMO. There is no way around that. 

You said: 

What? I never said Destiny can interact with one other person only.. Im confused why you even said that.. 

Battlefield has lore a world with background and an avatar, but its also has a single player campaign and it has a MULTIPLAYER MODE. Its very clear. They designed it as a FPS game first. They have a option for Multiplayer MODE. You don't have a custom Avatar, you pick a skin that represents a load-out and you go off on a small pvp map. That is in no shape or form like Destiny. I can tell you have never even played Destiny or you would know the difference between the two games. Destiny is nothing like you are trying to make it to be. 

In Destiny there is no Multiplayer mode. Its just a online world. You log in and you are your avatar, you go start doing quests, dailies, raids, heroics or pvp with your friends. Its nothing like COD or BF so please stop using that comparison as its not accurate and misleading.
    ExcessionTheScavengerJamesGoblin
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

edited September 2017
    klash2def said:

-snip-
    No one is arguing that Destiny is an RPG.  However with your definition of MMO Call of Duty would be an MMO since thousands of other people are playing it online at the same time you are.  What makes an MMO an MMO is that the game world is designed to house thousands of people at the same time.
    .. I literally said You can play with 1000s of people not at the same time but you need GROUPS of people to do raids, heroics and the like to complete. So tell me.. in your favorite MMO.. you ever saw 1000's of people at the same time? Im curious, what's the max number you have seen before on your screen personally?  I'll wait for that answer.. lol man

Edit: FFS why do people keep saying COD? Its NOTHING LIKE DESTINY. The only thing they have in common is the FPS part. Thats it. Its like saying Fallout is COD just because it has guns. Destiny is nothing like COD.. I repeat. 
    ExcessionTheScavenger

edited September 2017
    You're arguing a red herring.  You cannot interact with massive amounts of players in the game world in Destiny.

There's no need to select a multiplayer server, they automatically match players to place in your game world.  Hence, it's a shared world shooter.

Nothing about simply having others players around makes it massively multiplayer, because multiplayer is the adjective, massively is an adverb that modifies multiplayer.  Thus, simply including multiplayer does not make it an MMORPG.

Having a large, open world does nothing, by itself, to qualify the game, either.  The Witcher has always had large worlds to explore.  It's not an MMORPG.

EDIT- I've also played both D1 and D2.  Just because you're failing to keep up with context clues does not mean my argument is invalid.
    ExcessionTheScavengerPhaserlightJamesGoblin

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    MASSIVE Online Multiplayer . 

So MMO means anything but ... MOBA's , Multiplayer Shooters, Etc ..
    JamesGoblin

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

edited September 2017
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:

-snip-
    .. I literally said You can play with 1000s of people not at the same time but you need GROUPS of people to do raids, heroics and the like to complete. So tell me.. in your favorite MMO.. you ever saw 1000's of people at the same time? Im curious, what's the max number you have seen before on your screen personally?  I'll wait for that answer.. lol man

Edit: FFS why do people keep saying COD? Its NOTHING LIKE DESTINY. The only thing they have in common is the FPS part. Thats it. Its like saying Fallout is COD just because it has guns. Destiny is nothing like COD.. I repeat. 
    Well seeing as an MMO's game WORLD tends to be pretty massive the chances of seeing thousands of people on screen at once is slim.  Especially since most servers wouldn't be able to handle that many which is why channels are created.  All those people are still in the same game world they may or may not be in the same area you're in.  In CoD there are group events such as capture the flag or the zombie mode, and I'm pretty sure you can play the campaign with a group of people too.  No one is saying Destiny and CoD are the same or even similar.  We're just saying that your definition of MMO is so vague that CoD falls under it.
    MadFrenchieklash2defTheScavengerJamesGoblin
    edited September 2017
    You're arguing a red herring.  You cannot interact with massive amounts of players in the game world in Destiny.

There's no need to select a multiplayer server, they automatically match players to place in your game world.  Hence, it's a shared world shooter.

Nothing about simply having others players around makes it massively multiplayer, because multiplayer is the adjective, massively is an adverb that modifies multiplayer.  Thus, simply including multiplayer does not make it an MMORPG.

Having a large, open world does nothing, by itself, to qualify the game, either.  The Witcher has always had large world's to explore.  It's not an MMORPG.

EDIT- I've also played both D1 and D2.  Just because you're failing to keep up with context clues does not mean my argument is invalid.
    LOL you literally compared Destiny to BF. What are you talking about? Good try at trying to insult my intelligence by saying "I'm failing to keep up with context clues" but the only context clues you left are ones that imply you have never played Destiny. Any Destiny player will tell you that Destiny is nothing like COD or BF. So when you say:

"Even if it did, if you can only interact with one other player, it's still not an MMORPG.

Battlefield has lore, a world with backgound, and an avatar.  It's not an MMORPG."

That to me implies you have never played Destiny. Destiny has lore, a world with background and a shared space with multiple people to explore and do all the normal mmo things excluding crafting with friends. 

Also I never said having a open world alone is a qualifier. Stop trying to twist my words to fit your narrative. I simply named the things that Destiny does that OTHER MMOS do. 

Also stop avoiding the previous question. Please scroll up, read and respond. I want to know where you thought you were going with the whole hypothetical chess game thing.
    MadFrenchieExcessionTheScavengerJamesGoblin

klash2def said:
    klash2def said:

-snip-

No one is saying Destiny and CoD are the same or even similar.  We're just saying that your definition of MMO is so vague that CoD falls under it.
    This is as accurate as it gets.  If you're going to water down the genre identifier to that point, there's no point in even using it anymore.  It becomes a useless descriptor.
    klash2defTheScavengerJamesGoblin

edited September 2017
    klash2def said:

Having a large, open world does nothing, by itself, to qualify the game, either.  The Witcher has always had large world's to explore.  It's not an MMORPG.

LOL you literally compared Destiny to BF. What are you talking about? Good try at trying to insult my intelligence by saying "I'm failing to keep up with context clues" but the only context clues you left are ones that imply you have never played Destiny. Any Destiny player will tell you that Destiny is nothing like COD or BF. So when you say:

"Even if it did, if you can only interact with one other player, it's still not an MMORPG.

Battlefield has lore, a world with backgound, and an avatar.  It's not an MMORPG."

That to me implies you have never played Destiny. Destiny has lore, a world with background and a shared space with multiple people to explore and do all the normal mmo things excluding crafting with friends. 

Also I never said having a open world alone is a qualifier. Stop trying to twist my words to fit your narrative. I simply named the things that Destiny does that OTHER MMOS do. 

Also stop avoiding the previous question. Please scroll up, read and respond. I want to know where you thought you were going with the whole hypothetical chess game thing.
    Destiny does what other MMORPGs do....  Save for the massively multiplayer part.

And since you insist on trying to be a smartass while still missing very obvious context clues, allow me to enlighten:

I suggested that simply having lots of players playing the same game at the same time is not massively multiplayer.  I utilized online chess to reinforce the point.  You responded reference my chess example, to which I responded back reference my chess example.  But, since it's much easier to play dumb and act as if I implied Destiny only allows duo multiplayer than it is to try and defend small team multiplayer games as MMORPGs because they borrow content mechanics from MMORPGs, you went off on some tangent that has nothing to do with my argument.
    IselinExcessionTheScavengerJamesGoblin

• FaunNoeFaunNoe Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Destiny isn't an MMO because It's not massive......
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:

-snip-

Well seeing as an MMO's game WORLD tends to be pretty massive the chances of seeing thousands of people on screen at once is slim.  Especially since most servers wouldn't be able to handle that many which is why channels are created.  All those people are still in the same game world they may or may not be in the same area you're in.  In CoD there are group events such as capture the flag or the zombie mode, and I'm pretty sure you can play the campaign with a group of people too.  No one is saying Destiny and CoD are the same or even similar.  We're just saying that your definition of MMO is so vague that CoD falls under it.
    LOL Vague! Jesus..you are "pretty sure you can play COD Campaign with a group of people" Nope I'm pretty sure you cant. The most they ever did was adding a 2nd player option to campaign. Not even close to what Destiny is doing. 

Okay since people are skim reading and trying to twist my words to fit a certain narrative,
    I'm going to say it again. I'm going to make very clear. Pay attention.

MMO: Raids, Quests, Custom Avatar, Dungeons, Group Content, PVP, Open World, Access to 1000s people, ONLINE ONLY EXPERIENCE (( MMO NEEDS ALL OF THESE AT LEAST ))

Destiny: Raids, Quests, Custom Avatar, Dungeons, Group Content, PVP, Open World, Access to 1000s of people, ONLINE ONLY EXPERIENCE (( DESTINY HAS ALL OF THESE ))

COD/BF: Single Player Campaign, Multiplayer Modes, Zombie Mode, Loadout/Skin (not a custom avatar) (( COD/BF HAS THESE ))

MadFrenchieExcessionTheScavengerMaurgrim

edited September 2017
    Annnnnnddddddd...  You're still arguing a red herring.  Noice!!
    TheScavengerJamesGoblin

annnnnnnnnnnddddd you are still missing the point. Noicer!!!
    IselinTheScavengerJamesGoblin

edited September 2017
    klash2def said:
    Not at all.  You think forcing multiplayer on players and using dungeon crawling as group content qualifies Destiny to be an MMORPG.  Only, nothing about sharing the game world or dungeon crawling defines an MMORPG.  It qualifies it as multiplayer and RPG, respectively.  Additional features are needed to qualify it as massively multiplayer.
    TheScavenger

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink. I literally gave you all the ways Destiny is like other MMOs.. if you keep wanting to argue "but its not a mmo because its not big enough" then that's on you. Your argument its horrible. Destiny is a MMO like or not. I didn't make that up, I simply looked at the things it does, and the things other MMOs do and came to the conclusion. It does far too many MMO things to not be considered a MMO. You keep going back to its not big enough as in not enough people at the same time, Why? Massive does not mean literally 1000 people at once on your screen that's not even possible atm you even admitted so yourself.. so in the term MMO whats does Massive even mean? To me it means 1000's people that you have ACCESS TO. KEYWORD ACCESS. Read carefully please. 

Like I said earlier that you for sure skimmed over, Smartphone vs PC.. both do the exact same thing only one is smaller than the other. They would both be defined as a type of Computer if you want to be technical but maybe people like you will say "NO a PHONE IS A PHONE! A PC IS A PC! THEY COULD NEVER BE ONE IN THE SAME!" smh.. sorry the world changed while you were asleep gramps! 

So I guess all the MMOs on mobile, I guess they aren't MMO's either because they surely aren't "big enough" .. stagnant way of thinking.. hmm..............
    MadFrenchieExcessionTheScavengerMaurgrimJamesGoblin

edited September 2017
    klash2def said:
    Not at all.  You think forcing multiplayer on players and using dungeon crawling as group content qualifies Destiny to be an MMORPG.  Only, nothing about sharing the game world or dungeon crawling defines an MMORPG.  It qualifies it as multiplayer and RPG, respectively.  Additional features are needed to qualify it as massively multiplayer.
    Name the additional features please? I think we are getting somewhereeeeee...
    ExcessionTheScavenger

klash2def said:

MMO: Raids, Quests, Custom Avatar, Dungeons, Group Content, PVP, Open World, Access to 1000s people, ONLINE ONLY EXPERIENCE (( MMO NEEDS ALL OF THESE AT LEAST ))

Except that you don't have access to thousands of people in Destiny like you do in an actual MMO.  I can't go anywhere in the world and meet up with people in Destiny and form a party to do a dungeon or raid like I can in an actual MMO.  I have to goto the Hub area and meet them there then go into the mission from the hub area.  At least that was the way it was last I played.  Admittedly it's been a while.
    JamesGoblin
    Lol, and yet you still choose willful ignorance because you seem unable to fathom that you might be wrong.

You fell right back into the "it doesn't need to be massively multiplayer to be a massively multiplayer game!" which has already been exposed as an invalid argument.  By multiple people.

But hey, you can keep flipping over this if you like.  It won't make you any more right.
    CecropiaTheScavengerMaurgrimJamesGoblin

klash2def said:

Except that you don't have access to thousands of people in Destiny like you do in an actual MMO.  I can't go anywhere in the world and meet up with people in Destiny and form a party to do a dungeon or raid like I can in an actual MMO.  I have to goto the Hub area and meet them there then go into the mission from the hub area.  At least that was the way it was last I played.  Admittedly it's been a while.
    It doesn't matter.  It appears that including RPG tropes makes you an MMORPG, at least according to the OP.

So hey, here's to one of the best MMORPGs of 2016: Divinity: Original Sin!
    TheScavengerJamesGoblin

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:

-snip-

LOL Vague! Jesus..you are "pretty sure you can play COD Campaign with a group of people" Nope I'm pretty sure you cant. The most they ever did was adding a 2nd player option to campaign. Not even close to what Destiny is doing. 

Okay since people are skim reading and trying to twist my words to fit a certain narrative,
    I'm going to say it again. I'm going to make very clear. Pay attention.

Destiny: Raids, Quests, Custom Avatar, Dungeons, Group Content, PVP, Open World, Access to 1000s of people, ONLINE ONLY EXPERIENCE (( DESTINY HAS ALL OF THESE ))

COD/BF: Single Player Campaign, Multiplayer Modes, Zombie Mode, Loadout/Skin (not a custom avatar) (( COD/BF HAS THESE ))

The French man is right ..

And Destiny is NOT an Open World .. Its very much a Giant Instanced world , those thousands of other people , you have no effect on , no interaction with ,unless they are in your very tiny group ..

In UO for instance

I can Effect a Global Economy

I can help a random Stranger ...

I can hinder/kill/loot/or steal from a random stranger

I can effect mob spawns

I can tame 100 sheep and bring them to your house (which is more sheep than people ,you can play with in Destiny)

I can build my house brick by brick and decorate it for all the game World to see anytime they want ..

I can cut off your head , and lock down Display it in my yard as a lawn ornament 

"The Head of Klash2Def "

I can write a book and put it under your head , for all the game world to read ..

Titled "  It was his Destiny 2 be my lawn ornament "  

I can advertise/sell fish in town to hundreds of different players at one time ...

ETC........... could go on for pages ... but you get the idea .. Destiny is no MMORPG , and there is nothing wrong with that ..

Its a hub based FPS
    Excession
    Lol, and yet you still choose willful ignorance because you seem unable to fathom that you might be wrong.

You fell right back into the "it doesn't need to be massively multiplayer to be a massively multiplayer game!" which has already been exposed as an invalid argument.  By multiple people.

But hey, you can keep flipping over this if you like.  It won't make you any more right.
    Bro please answer the question. You have not answered one question because you realize what I'm saying is right. I ask again good sir. What are these Additional MMO features you speak of that Destiny does not have? 
    ExcessionTheScavengerMaurgrimJamesGoblin

klash2def said:

Destiny you can join anyone's Fireteam from anywhere in the game space it was always that way. The hub is just a place in the game world. The function of pressing the start button and clicking "Add To Fire team" was always there man.