Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation - 20 Minutes of PAX Gameplay

EvilweeblEvilweebl Member UncommonPosts: 24
Youtube Channel: yt/DeathsProxy

Comments

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Looks like a slightly prettier version of 90% of the rest of the MMOs I've played in the past 20 years.
    GdemamiBestinna
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    What's so special about this?  It has the graphics of Age of Reckoning but the gameplay seems to be behind Guild Wars 2.  Both aspects are topped by the currently Alpha going Camelot Unchained.  So.....confused about the hype.
    GdemamiBestinna

• EvilweeblEvilweebl Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Siphaed said:
    What's so special about this?  It has the graphics of Age of Reckoning but the gameplay seems to be behind Guild Wars 2.  Both aspects are topped by the currently Alpha going Camelot Unchained.  So.....confused about the hype.
    Well all those have been released years or been in development a substancial amount of time. Ashes is early in developement, so how good it will be wont actually be known till much later down the line, but atleast they dont mind showing off content at every stage. Theres things i personally like about the game and what they are aiming for... and things im heavily critical of.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    The combat looks uninspiring...  Though considering how many games are just awesome at combat, I kind of wish that MMO devs would just say "Screw it, we're not going to beat MOBA-A-LIKES anyways lets have players doing something else".   But frankly with how much effort was put into those animations and effects it doesn't like like the game is going that direction :'(

Hopefully they deliver well on crafting and nodes.   That's what would keep me interested in the game anyways.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• FaunNoeFaunNoe Member UncommonPosts: 56
    The odds of me playing this game around 80% - 90%
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    That combat looked a lot worse than I expected it to. Does the dude in the video not know how to attack or something or is there just a lack of animations present in the game? Ugh. Another Kickstarter hype MMO.
    I like to complain about games.
  • JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    FaunNoe said:
    The odds of me playing this game around 80% - 90%
    Thanks now I can sleep tonight knowing this information.
    Allerleirauh
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Looks okay. Spell effects are nice, but I really don't see what all the hubbub is about. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• BestinnaBestinna Member UncommonPosts: 190
    looks like a literal pile of shit
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Torval said:
    The one thing I don't like in the recent combat videos are the skill quick time events on the skill bar itself, or rather only being on the skill bar. I'm not a huge fan of reactives, but if they're going to go that direction they should do it how ESO, GW2, and Guild Wars do it with visual cues. In an action-style game I want to concentrate on the battlefield, not timer bars.

Other than that I like the familiar "mmorpg" approach to classes and combat. I want an mmo with familiar systems that feels fresh. I think there is plenty of potential for unique implementations and systems in the game. I don't want combat to feel like I have to learn how to drive all over again. Not in my mmo at least.
    I don't mind some spells with longer cool-downs with that mechanic, the variable out-put and risk involved makes them more interesting. But not every goddamned skill for a game I plan to play hundreds of hours. I think they'll reconsider that. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2017
    Personally, I feel like what is going to make or break a game like this is the systems they decide to go with. I like more of an EQ AA/FFXI merit system that allows me to continue gaining exp at cap and allowing me to further modify skills to make it feel as though I am mastering the class to a degree that I am able to become the master of it and not the student. That's probably why games like WoW and FFXIV dont hold my interest for long because your rotation usually stays the same with very little variation or modification once you've spent a lot of time at cap. So there's really no true difference between someone who's been playing a class at cap for a year and someone who just got it to cap like a day ago. The only real difference is damage values, which to me is as arbitrary as ilvls, just a means to an end or a way just to add numbers to make people think they are progressing when in actuality they are just staying the same. WoW is making a step in the right direction with the artifact system; however, they shot themselves in the foot before legion was even launched by admitting that none of the stuff you did with the artifact would carry over. Now I know people are thinking that it wouldn't have made sense anyway to keep a system like that since new people wouldn't even be able to catch up but honestly that's not true. Since you're guaranteed a boost with your purchase of each expansion now, it could've been easy enough to give people a set number of points to use to bridge the gap a bit. But there were quite a few flaws with the AP system anyway, such as making AP a disposable item that you had to consume instead of making it just a hard figure that you passively gained along side with regular exp like say how Rift does and then make the points account wide BUT unlike Rift, make them disposable to keep the replay value (kind of the problem with Rift was you kept getting the same number per character you made, so honestly points didn't matter after a while if you played a lot). If they take the system and tie it to the character/account and not to a set of weapons, it has a lot of potential and adds a persistent element outside of levels and money that I feel that most games desperately need. AA is doing a similar system, but that game has a lot of other issues outside of that which kind of make it hard to play.
    pantaro
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    They are much further into development than I expected, its pre-alpha so have to adjust my expectations because of that. Problem is that the gameplay they have shown me so far looks uninspiring, its not more interesting than other MMORPG and nothing in it made me think it could be awesome to play the game.

I hope they can actually build the game that they described during kickstarter but this looked like the lazy stuff that Koreans make using Unreal engine and throw at us for free.
    Slapshot1188
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Bestinna said:
    looks like a literal pile of shit
    How many early alfa games have you seen that had top notch animation, graphics, spell effects?
    CrazKanuk
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited September 2017
    Looks okay. Spell effects are nice, but I really don't see what all the hubbub is about. 
    The "hubbub" around the game has always been about who and how it gets made as opposed to the game itself.  The CEO made a ton of money in Multi-Level-Marketing and his only gaming experience was as a player, not a designer.   He (and I believe his husband) came up with a marketing scheme for the game that literally pays people real cash to recruit other players. They get 15% of the money spent.  You need not even buy the game in order to profit from it. There are several threads with all the details if you want to see them.

As for the video... I will say that I am surprised they are showing anything so quickly.  I'd say my thoughts are similar to Shaigh a post or two above.

Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• EvilweeblEvilweebl Member UncommonPosts: 24
     Some PvP footage as well. Pvp seems more experiemental, but still its a working concept in pre-alpha. 

Also shared some concerns about the combat system and hope they make some changes especially in regards to the wierd Quick Time Event Bar they have for basic attacks which currently favours ranged DPS:

[Deleted User]