Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon Quick overview video

A quick overview video

AmathesvannGyva02Kiori001

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited September 2017
    I'll give a crisp $5 bill to anyone that can get me in now !.... Only kidding take your time.

One side note:   The graphics are good enough for me, I'm totally in it for game play :)
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Nice, dont think ive seen all that footage before. Cant wait to see how it looks with the added/updated filters.

Soon ... I hope (-_-)
  • ZuljanZuljan Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Just as an update, on the private forums they just announced they're applying all new shaders and lighting shortly (in addition to the normal updates).
    Motsui
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    So what's the word on the screet about a beta?
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    To me its more like "Pantheon - only upcoming MMO that interests me at all" right now.

I have to admit I havent bothered to inform myself about the newest hottest MMOs though.
    svann
  • ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

Are there actually people complaining about the quality of these graphics?  I mean I know I've been out of the MMO loop for a while, but to me they seem pretty dang good.  Way better than EQ which is good enough for me.  Of course the level is supposed to improve with technology, but how far are they supposed to go?  Till they eventually seem life like?

Thumbs up from my perspective.

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited September 2017
    Decent video, with one major gripe... and this is more of a general gripe than about any one person specifically. I see/hear it constantly.

People *really* need to stop with the whole "-current year-" nonsense.

There is no rule that says "in -current year- all combat/graphics/gameplay/revenue model/whatever must be "x" or they're bad. No such objective "standard" exists. There's no book or journal or tome that lays out the "standards" on a year-by-year basis. It's just individuals attempting to elevate their own personal preference to something more important sounding.

If you like the animations... great! If you think they're "mediocre", fine. If you think they "suck", that's your prerogative as well. By all means, share and explain your views in any such case. But stop pretending the quality of animation, or graphics, or anything in a game has anything to do with "what year it is". It's a meaningless qualifier.

Just come out and say what you really mean, which is "I don't like the animations/graphics/combat/gameplay/raiding/whatever". Stop trying to make your own personal opinions seem more "right" than they are.

About the game itself. I'm a backer and am eager to dig in and get playing. I'm deliberately keeping it at arm's length for now, though, as I don't want to know too much about it before I log in. Part of the joy  of classic MMOs for me was logging in and feeling lost in a massive world. Knowing too much going in undermines that.
    [Deleted User]
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Nice summary for this stage of development. It will be fun to see a comparison to the release build later on. 

The environments are looking pretty good this early on. I know some aging textures have recently gone in and likely just some updated lighting and effects to go in later which is very typical in development. 

Animations and character models upgrades always seem to be a later addition so I am not putting much worry on this atm.

I personally believe the market share for this sort of game is plenty large enough for more than one niche mmorpg. If Pantheon launches smoothly enough in the first wave of recent indie developed mmorpgs I suspect they can easily capture a large segment of this market.

Anyone familiar with emulators of the earlier mmorpgs will know the main reason why they are so popular: players want a more social experience and avoid the modern conveniences which they feel ruined the current crop of mmos. It is almost a political stance for many of these players and I foresee a large migration to some of these indie mmorpgs (the ones which actually manage to launch).

Small indie mmorpgs such as Project Gorgon only need thousands of players to exist. Pantheon, Crowfall and CU likely only need 10s to a few 100 of thousands and a million is a wet dream of viability. These aren't large numbers. Illegal Wow emulators have these sort of numbers alone.

Pantheon only needs to work and be fun to grab it's audience. That is risky enough by itself.

You stay sassy!

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    Tamanous said:

I personally believe the market share for this sort of game is plenty large enough for more than one niche mmorpg. If Pantheon launches smoothly enough in the first wave of recent indie developed mmorpgs I suspect they can easily capture a large segment of this market.

Pantheon only needs to work and be fun to grab it's audience. That is risky enough by itself.
    If Pantheon is loads of fun, I'm sure it will do just fine.  I think we'll be surprised to see how many people are willing to leave their "niche" in order to play a good game.  They'll endure unappealing aspects if there's more stuff in it that they like.  I know right now that there's going to be things in Pantheon that I won't care for.  But if the stuff that I do like is good enough, I'll overlook them.