Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quitting MMOs for good (edit/update: Not fully since still play Ultima Online/Elite Dangerous)

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
edited August 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I've tried every MMO pretty much, well all the "good" high quality ones. And to get it over with, its because MMOs aren't a good genre for me and it took me a long time to realize that. I like singleplayer/multiplayer games, or games like Elite Dangerous which is sorta an MMO (is it an MMO?) but can be 100% played as a singleplayer game with never interacting with anyone.

I don't like to be forced to group, I hate talking to people on voice chat, in real life I HATE talking on the phone and will go out of my way to avoid it (even hide in a box to not be found until the phone conversation is over, that is how much I hate talking to people). I hate people, and would very easily live on a mountain as a hermit and be perfectly happy surrounded by nature and quietness. That means MMOs are NOT for me, because MMOs are a social experience and I hate being social.

I will however play multiplayer games with my VERY small group of best friends I know in real life (I don't have many friends, but I keep a few very close tight friends), will even play games with people roaming around (like Elite Dangerous) and that is okay. I just don't want to be forced to socialize to get better at a game. Like WoW I hit 110, and to get the best items, gotta group for it or to see the storyline gotta be forced to group to do dungeons.

Does that make MMOs bad? Nope. But it took me a long time to finally say that MMOs are not for me. I hate being in a city in real life which is where I am now, and I hate being surrounded by people and noise and I hate kids even more lol. And I think a lot of solo focused MMO players might be slightly similar, and there are SO many better games for that experience.

Since quitting WoW a week ago. I've played so many games and have had so much more fun. Racing games (Dirt Rally), RPGs (Path of Exiles, Diablo 3, Skyrim), strategy games (starcraft 2, civilization 5)...and lots of games. My gaming experience is so much better, and I feel far less stress and anxiety from being forced to socialize in WoW to progress the story.

As for point of the thread? Well its to show that maybe many other solo focused players don't belong in an MMO. MMOs are supposed to be about socialization and grouping to progress. That is the very exact opposite of soloing in an MMO. Skyrim itself (with mods) is far more advanced than any MMO, same with many other singleplayer/multiplayer games. MMOs excel at socialization, and that should be their focus...not focus on solo players.

Anyway, probably pointless thread...but any thread someone makes is pretty pointless in the end :P

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Post edited by TheScavenger on
Aethaerynpantaroborghive49[Deleted User]immodiumCogohi

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    As far as forums and chat rooms go. Since I know someone will be a smartass and go "YOU ARE SOCIALIZING RIGHT NOW" I'm okay with that, since I choose to go on the forums and chat rooms if the website has chat. Also, talking in text is 100% different than being forced to talk on voice chat lol, and its 1000% different than being forced to go on the forums. In MMOs, to get the best items and progress the story (like in WoW), gotta group and have no choice in the matter.

Going on forums I choose to be here, and I don't hear anyones voice and no one hears my voice :P

• DamonDamon Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Glad to hear you are having more fun and found what is best for you. It's cool to share that on the forum. I took it as a positive post, sharing your experience, etc.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Can I have your stuff?
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    My experiences are similar but I would never say I am done.  You just don't know what might come along. . UO was a huge change. . 3D video cards were huge. . that and other things do come along. . maybe not in the rest of our lifetime though :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    You will be back.
    borghive49
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Weren't you singing WoW's praises just a few months ago? You are all over the place, my only wish is that you would take all your anti social friends that have invaded the MMO genre with you. :) 
    TheScavengerghoulas
    edited August 2017
    Weren't you singing WoW's praises just a few months ago? You are all over the place, my only wish is that you would take all your anti social friends that have invaded the MMO genre with you. :) 
    I was having fun from 1-110 (well 1-100). And every time I hit 100 I stopped to play another class, and I level slow to begin with. Only got one character to 110 (a death knight). But during Legion, to finish a zone's questline gotta do a dungeon to see the end of the zone. To get better items, gotta do groups for them. To do the really hard stuff, gotta be on voice chat (which I will NEVER do, I hate voice chat as much as I hate talking on the phone lol). I played previous MMOs and only enjoyed the leveling part of them, at endgame or any time I ended up needing groups to continue content always stopped. Never figured out why till WoW.

But I agree, MMOs should be made for people who like to socialize. That is what MMOs were built for. MMOs are the social experience. For solo players, or small group players with a tight knit group of friends....SO MANY better games out there for that play style.

I was playing MMOs like I was a square trying to fit in a round hole lol
    borghive49Cogohi

edited August 2017
    As far as forums and chat rooms go. Since I know someone will be a smartass and go "YOU ARE SOCIALIZING RIGHT NOW" I'm okay with that, since I choose to go on the forums and chat rooms if the website has chat. Also, talking in text is 100% different than being forced to talk on voice chat lol, and its 1000% different than being forced to go on the forums. In MMOs, to get the best items and progress the story (like in WoW), gotta group and have no choice in the matter.

Going on forums I choose to be here, and I don't hear anyones voice and no one hears my voice :P
    ^figured someone would post the above, but must have missed the first reply and just read OP ;P

In WoW. I can't get the best items without grouping. If I want to do the hardest raids, everyone requires voice chat.

On a forum, I'm not required to use voice chat. I'm not forced to talk to people. In WoW, I am forced to group with people to get the best items. And I am forced to group with people to see the end of the story of each legion zone. 

There is no voice chat on forums, there is only text. I don't mind talking people with text. I don't want to talk to people on voice, and if forums were forced on people (like I am forced to find a group to do legion dungeons to see the story in WoW) I wouldn't like that either

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I hate voice chat and forced grouping too.  Some MMOs are solo-friendly enough for me, but I generally don't make it past the 2/3 point up a game's leveling curve, so I haven't really encountered an issue where upper level/endgame combat is multiplayer only.  I'm not playing an MMO at the moment because I can't find one where the setting/story appeals to me, but instead I've been playing a phone game where there's a text chat, lots of grindy monster raising, and "fake pvp" meaning the AI controls the other player's team of monsters.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
    edited August 2017
    I hate voice chat and forced grouping too.  Some MMOs are solo-friendly enough for me, but I generally don't make it past the 2/3 point up a game's leveling curve, so I haven't really encountered an issue where upper level/endgame combat is multiplayer only.  I'm not playing an MMO at the moment because I can't find one where the setting/story appeals to me, but instead I've been playing a phone game where there's a text chat, lots of grindy monster raising, and "fake pvp" meaning the AI controls the other player's team of monsters.
    Yeah, so this post is more in-line with the topic. There are MMOs that are solo friendly, but unlike say Skyrim...in Skyrim I can get the best items without needing to group. Or I can play a quick Heroes of the Storm match with my friend (yes I have friends, but very few, only really one I game with, the other is always busy with his life and a different time zone lol) and have fun. Or play civ 5 with my friend and we can play a game and accomplish a lot with just us two.

Maybe there is an MMO I am missing where you can get the best items and do everything without a group or needing voice chat like in Skyrim like one of the responses implied. Maybe WoW is a forced group MMO (even though people say its solo focused) and I was playing the wrong one.

There isn't an MMO where you can treat it like Skyrim, and get 100% of everything and do every dungeon and raid without a group OR voice chat. 

With...back to the question in OP...is Elite Dangerous an MMO? I never really bothered to look. Elite I can literally do everything by myself and treat it as a singleplayer game. Cause if it is, I guess the OP isn't entirely correct lol.

But I did say in the OP pretty clearly that I'm okay if other people are around as long as I'm not forced to get the best items OR be forced to group see the STORY of the game OR also needing voice chat to do so. So if Elite Dangerous is an MMO (I should google later after I get back from the store), guess I didn't quit rofl. But Elite Dangerous is literally more like a singleplayer game to me, I can do anything and everything without grouping lol.

But I dunno if people see Elite Dangerous as an MMO or not.

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    ok goodbye, hopefully you continue in your decision to stop wasting your most precious resource, time, in something you do not enjoy. . .
    Phaserlight[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited August 2017
    I think some are missing part of your point, OP.  These days, I prefer a more laid back MMO experience, and have always enjoyed story and setting over gameplay.  However, I have participated in the more hardcore aspects of MMO play both on the PvE and PvE side of things.  I get what you're saying here, and agree that SP RPGs are probably more your speed, especially something like Skyrim where the long game can be so compelling.  Since it was mentioned, Elite: Dangerous can also fit this mold in your own universe if you choose.  Not being forced into grouping is a compelling option for the less social oriented gamer.  I'm glad you, at least, understand this about yourself.

Having said that, you leave me a little confused here.  MMOs these days are full of folks, not unlike yourself, that want to be able to do everything without playing with others at all.  WoW is probably the closest you'll get to that.  It is possible to see every story WoW has to offer without typing or speaking the first word to another player.  The 4 other players might as well be bots.  This wasn't always the case, mind you, but today, LFR offers a compelling option for those like yourself.  If you do it long enough, you'll even get the "best" gear via Titanforging.  The automatic grouping tools provide a, mostly, on rails experience where no one even says, "Hi."  You say you want to see the story, and WoW provides you a way to see it in its entirety without being forced to interact with others via voice chat, or even text chat.  It seems to me like what you really want is to experience the rewards that high end gameplay offers (best gear, prestige, challenge, etc.) without doing it as a group.  That simply isn't going to happen in any MMO worth your time, and I agree that the single player RPG experience is more your thing in this case.

Edit: Was it the Mythic+ dungeons that turned you off?  The higher the difficulty gets, the more vile the players seem to get, so I do understand if that's the case for you.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I was having fun from 1-110 (well 1-100). And every time I hit 100 I stopped to play another class, and I level slow to begin with. Only got one character to 110 (a death knight). But during Legion, to finish a zone's questline gotta do a dungeon to see the end of the zone. To get better items, gotta do groups for them. To do the really hard stuff, gotta be on voice chat (which I will NEVER do, I hate voice chat as much as I hate talking on the phone lol). I played previous MMOs and only enjoyed the leveling part of them, at endgame or any time I ended up needing groups to continue content always stopped. Never figured out why till WoW.

But I agree, MMOs should be made for people who like to socialize. That is what MMOs were built for. MMOs are the social experience. For solo players, or small group players with a tight knit group of friends....SO MANY better games out there for that play style.

I was playing MMOs like I was a square trying to fit in a round hole lol
    You can do heroic dungeons, mythic dungeons, most mythic+ dungeons, and LFR raids without even having to type as much as a "Hello" in group chat.
    ConstantineMerusKyleranStoneRoses
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    DMKano said:
    OP - not wanting to socialize is a not a valid excuse - because so many MMOs can be totally played solo without ever grouping or socializing at all. heck you can turn off global chat completely in most games, and some games even let you turn off player name tags too.

It is easier today to play MMOs as solo games than ever before, so you're sort of picking a wrong time to go on anti-social tirade and MMOs as they heavily cater to solo players already.

I believe that you dislike social situations - nothing wrong with that as it's fairly common, but I don't believe that you hate people as you mentioned so many times in OP. Sorry not buying it.

Why? Because you wouldn't be posting on forums talking with people here, telling other people how you want to go to the mountains and be a hermit.

If your true intention was to really be asocial and isolated- you'd be doing, instead of talking to others about it - which is actually a social behavior - as in attention seeking.
    To be fair are single player games doing a better job at being sologames then MMOs and for people uninteresting in groups and social gameplay I don't really see the attraction to the genre.

There must be something since so many people do just solo but I myself wouldn't bother if that was my case, the social aspect is the main reason I like MMOs.

A game like the original Guildwars is a different matter, it could be as fun for soloers as well.
    Cogohi
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    You should have asked me earlier. I could have told you that single player games offer a much better single player experience than multiplayer games, by far. And just as you did in WoW you can solo next to all major MMOs now up to max level without any social interaction ever. Switch of chat and have go. Bumm, there is your single player experience in an MMO. Forget endgame and come back for next expansion with new single player content. But yes, the gameplay is inferior to real single player games. No surprise there.
    You want to drive a bus, but you don't want anyone else to be around but still get the same experience as in a sports car. Not going to happen.
  • KopogerooKopogeroo Member UncommonPosts: 18
    edited August 2017
    OP, evolution takes it's course. Everyone eventually "learns" but at what age through life is the difference factor. I see people all the time eventually see things today that I've seen decade ago. You mention WOW, let me tell you about WOW during my 2-3 months getting back into 3v3 arena I already had 300 people on ignore list, but that did not deter me in anyway from doing more PvP.

The reason why I stop doing 3v3 arena weeks ago is because EST timezone players are at biggest disadvantage compared to CST, mountain zone and PST players. I'm not going to go into details, but being consistently forced to depend on something or someone that might or might not be close rating or simply online for me to do PvP was what did it for me.

I too have been enjoying SSF HC Path of Exile far more through the last weeks because unlike WOW I see myself playing it far more through the day. Finally, games attract younger audience and because evolution depends on time expect more toxicity and ignorance than what you would normally find elsewhere.

Humans belong in the invasive parasitic species category, more importantly they are far more ignorant than many other species based on what they spend their time doing through their lives and how quickly they evolve with such advanced life form and longevity. The fact they also believe are far more intelligent and superior from their other species to have the right to fully control their lives from birth to death further shows how indeed primal species we are today.

Anyways, don't overthink it too much, we are still living in a prehistoric era, one thousands of years from now that will most likely be ignored due to shame and sadness of how ignorant we once were, that is if we survive that long.
    borghive49
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Yeah, so this post is more in-line with the topic. There are MMOs that are solo friendly, but unlike say Skyrim...in Skyrim I can get the best items without needing to group. Or I can play a quick Heroes of the Storm match with my friend (yes I have friends, but very few, only really one I game with, the other is always busy with his life and a different time zone lol) and have fun. Or play civ 5 with my friend and we can play a game and accomplish a lot with just us two.

Maybe there is an MMO I am missing where you can get the best items and do everything without a group or needing voice chat like in Skyrim like one of the responses implied. Maybe WoW is a forced group MMO (even though people say its solo focused) and I was playing the wrong one.

There isn't an MMO where you can treat it like Skyrim, and get 100% of everything and do every dungeon and raid without a group OR voice chat. 

With...back to the question in OP...is Elite Dangerous an MMO? I never really bothered to look. Elite I can literally do everything by myself and treat it as a singleplayer game. Cause if it is, I guess the OP isn't entirely correct lol.

But I did say in the OP pretty clearly that I'm okay if other people are around as long as I'm not forced to get the best items OR be forced to group see the STORY of the game OR also needing voice chat to do so. So if Elite Dangerous is an MMO (I should google later after I get back from the store), guess I didn't quit rofl. But Elite Dangerous is literally more like a singleplayer game to me, I can do anything and everything without grouping lol.

But I dunno if people see Elite Dangerous as an MMO or not.
    @TheScavenger I'd be curious to see what your opinion is on Vendetta Online.  You seem to have a high opinion of Elite: Dangerous, but have questions whether "people see [it] as an MMO" (which may be somewhat beside the point).  You also state you have tried all the "good" MMOs.

Well, Vendetta Online is a MMORPG (in design, at the very least).  It is similar to Elite: Dangerous, the graphics aren't as nice, but it is 100% a MMO; except for the very first area, there are currently no instances separating players: everyone online at any given time is someone you could potentially be interacting with, whether or not you like it.

That stated, yes, you absolutely can get everything without group or voice chat.  It's more difficult to do things that way, but I know at least one player that has.  He created, solo, one of the most difficult to obtain ships; the Trident Type-M (a manufacturable capital ship).

I'm not trying to sell you on anything; I'm just curious what your opinion on the game might be as your post seems to be along the vein of having 'seen it all'.  There is a lot of single-player content to it as well; I should know: I helped create a significant part of that content.

If you haven't tried it, then all I am doing is hoping to plant a seed of doubt in your opinion which one day might blossom into new realization.
    Kyleran

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Loke666 said:
    DMKano said:
    OP - not wanting to socialize is a not a valid excuse - because so many MMOs can be totally played solo without ever grouping or socializing at all. heck you can turn off global chat completely in most games, and some games even let you turn off player name tags too.

It is easier today to play MMOs as solo games than ever before, so you're sort of picking a wrong time to go on anti-social tirade and MMOs as they heavily cater to solo players already.

I believe that you dislike social situations - nothing wrong with that as it's fairly common, but I don't believe that you hate people as you mentioned so many times in OP. Sorry not buying it.

Why? Because you wouldn't be posting on forums talking with people here, telling other people how you want to go to the mountains and be a hermit.

If your true intention was to really be asocial and isolated- you'd be doing, instead of talking to others about it - which is actually a social behavior - as in attention seeking.
    To be fair are single player games doing a better job at being sologames then MMOs and for people uninteresting in groups and social gameplay I don't really see the attraction to the genre.

There must be something since so many people do just solo but I myself wouldn't bother if that was my case, the social aspect is the main reason I like MMOs.

A game like the original Guildwars is a different matter, it could be as fun for soloers as well.
    Whilst I'm with you in terms of personal motivation (I love grouping up with lots of other people), I can see the attraction to MMOs for non-social people:

• The IPs - there are some unique IPs within the MMO world, so if you're attracted to them then MMO is your only choice
    • Open World RPGs - despite the ever increasing linearity of most MMOs, they are nearly always open world RPGs. You have large areas to explore, awesome sights to see and whilst the quests and zones are fairly linear, they're less linear than most single player RPGs. In fact, the open world RPG industry is basically non-existent for single player, there really are very few and the few that exist are often rubbish. 
    • Combat Mechanics - this is probably a minor consideration for most, especially with the move to action combat, but if you're a fan of tab-target with lots of skills and potentially deep combat systems, MMOs are the place to be. I've personally never played a single player RPG with combat as engaging as LotRO's or WARs, or even SW:TOR's (despite swtor being quite shallow, it is still better than most single player games). 
    • Longevity - The majority of single player RPGs can be completed between 10 and 50 hours of gameplay. Thats generally all quests, looting everything and getting best gear. MMOs just last longer. Something established like LotRO might take you 400 hours of gameplay to hit max level, complete all quests and grind out your traits and legendary weapons....perhaps a lot longer if you want best gear. 

The only thing single player RPGs tend to get better is immersion (through focused stories and tighter control of the environment) and better balance (there will only ever be one of you, so combined with difficulty settings you can get the perfect difficulty for you as a player....in theory). 

I imagine if there were more companies releasing open world RPGs like Skyrim or The Witcher 3, the MMO industry would take a big hit. 
    Phaserlight
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Maybe just make every game single player but have a chat room option so people can visit others...it sounds like the majority now have no interest in grouping whatsoever.
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited August 2017
    I wasn't going to comment on this thread, but I think you are mistaking being antisocial with this personality disorder https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-defeating_personality_disorder

I'm not a social gamer, but I still play MMOs, and I occasionally play with my friends. I choose when I wish to socialize; I don't bother others or make their experience miserable. Like @DMKano mentioned, I turn off chat when I don't wish to see it. 

I don't know what your point is; to tell others not to play MMOs because we are not social enough? I play games that I enjoy, and if I no longer find joy in them, I leave. If you feel that MMOs are not right for you anymore don't play them. Don't make this a bigger issue than it is.

This response actually has more to do with the forum thread that you created later http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/467837/as-a-solo-only-player-mmos-should-be-a-social-only-genre#latest
    Post edited by Allerleirauh on
    [Deleted User]
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited August 2017
    You don't have to be social when grouped in MMO's. Unless you're a raid leader all you have to do is listen.

I've pug'd a lot in mmo's and not spoken a word the majority of the time.

TBH if you want to solo I'd suggest sticking to single player games as they're just better than MMOs in that regard in every way.
    PhaserlightStoneRoses

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I hate to see someone leave the MMORPG hobby.  But, if that is your decision, I hope you find what you are looking for.

One final thing for you to think about.  Have you considered that being social *might* be a desirable skill in life?  Boxing yourself off from the world can work, but what are you actually willing to sacrifice to achieve this?  Success?  Fame?  Companionship?  From just this one thread, you appear to have a need to convince others that your reasons are valid.

Anyway, enjoy your life.
    Phaserlight

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

edited August 2017
    I updated the title. It looks like Elite Dangerous is considered an MMO and I play that a lot (it offers 100% solo content), and Ultima Online offers the chance to solo 100% of the time and even certain templates can get "endgame" items.

But UO doesn't really have a typical endgame like WoW does. And UO offers a great OPTIONAL social experience, where as in WoW you are forced to group to do certain things or even progress the story.

Thanks for the suggestion someone gave me about Ultima Online :) The person said how it can either be the greatest social experience, or the greatest solo experience or both. :)

• RufusUORufusUO Member UncommonPosts: 37
    I still play UO from time to time.  What shard are you on?  I'm a longtime Atlantic veteran.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    GW2 is a good antisocial MMO. I'm in 3 guilds just for daily harvesting material and never have to talk to anyone if I don't want to.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter