Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do MMO developers have no passion anymore and is why MMOs fail?

2»

Comments

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    MMO"s fail in many different ways. Here are 3 ways. 

1. Bad Design Choices/Broken Core Gameplay - This may not take affect until testing and figure out their core game is not fun or broken. This can happen a lot with new ideas and attempting to be innovative. 

2. Lack of funding to reach milestones to make a quality game. Allotted time by investors are not enough. Typically if you're not a big company you get funded per milestone.

3. Nothing unique or innovative. The intrigue of the world/gameplay is not fun.

• DiuraDiura Member CommonPosts: 8
    I feel like a nomad between games because of this. If I'm honest I'm not playing any mmorpgs atm for pretty much all the reasons everyone has stated. 

I know it wont be for everyone - but if you haven't checked out Ashes of Creation - that is my glimmer of hope of a mmorpg that is being made for the players - not just the cash.

Intrepid Studios will be at PAX this weekend so check it out -

Links in my sig etc ~

Again it wont be for everyone- but worth checking it out

Keep up to date with news on Ashes of Creation with The Odyssey !
  • LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662
    edited August 2017
    MMORPG are dying in the face of mobile apps.  PC Master Race has been ko'd.
    Kinda right, kinda wrong.

MMORPGs have always had worse mechanics than single player or even multiplayer games due to the complexity and scope of creating an MMORPG (asynchronous actions on a massive scale + latency are very hard problems). While way back, WoW revolutionized the MMO genre with the "go to the next !" then "grind a bunch of dungeons" then "grind for raid gear", a lot of these features have been implemented in single player games.

For example, "Quests" are in nearly every single RPG I've played now; some games that have them aren't even RPGs. Even fucking Grand Theft Auto V has quests. Witcher 3 was full of guys with yellow markers. Hell, Borderlands has them!

The progression system from MMORPGS and RPGs have been incorporated into nearly every genre. I was just playing Killing Floor 2 earlier. Every "perk" (class) has "talent choices" every 5 levels. See the unlocks in CoD? Not much different. Metal Gear Solid V equipment? Same thing (though with currency, which you can farm...like an MMO.) Even Overwatch has a leveling system and the level means diddly jack shit.

While many of these systems were not exclusive to MMORPGs (quests and leveling obviously aren't), MMOs have become more about "lets instance everything" than "how do we make an instance-less world where everyone sees each other?"

PC MMORPGs have also devolved into SINGLE PLAYER GAMES yet the scope and complexity of an MMORPG is ridiculously bigger/worse than single player games. 

And this is why no AAA publisher is going to fund an MMORPG anymore. They cost shit tons more to make than other games, end up being mechanically worse than other games, and have a ridiculously high flop rate (remember SWTOR anyone?!?!)

MMOs need to go backwards...to the EQ era to revive itself, and even then only a small # of players will play it due to the time sinks.

The reason why MMORPGs have moved to mobile is because mobile is far cheaper to develop for. Not to mention 90% of the mobile "MMORPGS" are not anything more than a lobby + do a mission -> go back to lobby.
    Phry
    I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662
    Diura said:
    I feel like a nomad between games because of this. If I'm honest I'm not playing any mmorpgs atm for pretty much all the reasons everyone has stated. 

I know it wont be for everyone - but if you haven't checked out Ashes of Creation - that is my glimmer of hope of a mmorpg that is being made for the players - not just the cash.

Intrepid Studios will be at PAX this weekend so check it out -

Links in my sig etc ~

Again it wont be for everyone- but worth checking it out
    I'm gonna bet money on Ashes of Creation failing. MMORPGs cost $10,000,000+ to make in 2003. If we adjust this amount with inflation in 2017, it would be almost $13,000,000. Ashes of Creation currently has $3,000,000 funded. 
    I live to go faster...or die trying.