Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over 2.5 Hours of Gamescom 2017 Gameplay & Info - Star Citizen - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageOver 2.5 Hours of Gamescom 2017 Gameplay & Info - Star Citizen - MMORPG.com

Star Citizen News - During last week's Gamescom, Chris Roberts and the Star Citizen team was on hand to show off the game in a big, big way. The presentation lasted nearly 2.5 hours and features more than a little bit of game play action.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Wow...I am starting to believe in SC.

Have to admit that looked phenomenal.
    Erillion
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213
    They're putting so much work into this scam that by the time they're done they'll have deviously taken our money all left us with nothing but the Best Damn Space Sim Ever.
    NevereverlandPurplePoloPlayerConstantineMerusSpottyGekkoMaxBaconOctagon7711tannim78Asm0deusErillion

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223
    This game will be my retirement plan.
    Erillion

beLIEve

• mraneremranere Member UncommonPosts: 29
    What the hell game was that? Whenever I log in all I see are is my bald ass running around an empty city. The people in this had hair? WTF? Not to mention the terrible performance on any graphic settings. 25 FPS on very low and very high. The usage on my card never gets above 60%.

What the hell game was that in the video?
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Some of what you saw are just scripted demo's, running on very powerful PC's
    GdemamiAsm0deusExcession
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Frightening waste of money...
    Darkpigeon
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited August 2017
    Here's a shorter vid cut of the gameplay, cutting half hour of catching up after a crash. That is 3.0, with the exception of the FOIP and the Idris. The cringe RP depends on you though lol

mranere said:
    What the hell game was that? Whenever I log in all I see are is my bald ass running around an empty city. The people in this had hair? WTF? Not to mention the terrible performance on any graphic settings. 25 FPS on very low and very high. The usage on my card never gets above 60%.

What the hell game was that in the video?
    Well, the game in that video is one update in development over 1 year ahead of the current playable Alpha.

The performance is still to be seen, it depends on how much the servers have improved (that's why it lags without making full use of your card/cpu). Check the offline mode trick: http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/467292/easily-running-sc-offline-self-hosted-server#latest and see by yourself what the game actually weights in your hardware.
    GdemamiBeansnBreadOctagon7711
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    We had these scripted videos 2 years ago, but it's never as awesome in real game play. Or released.
    SavageHorizonTalonsinXarkomrputtsGdemamiFrodoFraginsExcessionAlomar

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    I hope it's an amazing success just so that Derek "Smart" never speaks again. While I have not fund raised the game in anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to play the game once it releases.
    Looked more like scripted demos mostly.

Also, Derek Smart is the "fake news" of Star Citizen. If CNN had a gaming news division,  Derek Smart would be in charge of it.
    tannim78Alomar
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Lol is the female actor in the gameplay video roleplaying as a robot?
    --------------------------------------------
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited August 2017
    *reads some of the comments* ...sigh, please stop using misleading titles for the article. It's not "over 2.5 hours of gameplay" by definition when good chunks of a 2.5 hour-long video are scripted demos instead of actual gameplay.

Anyone who didn't know about that could be utterly deceived by looking at this video thanks to this article's title by thinking a lot of that scripted stuff is actual gameplay (the video itself has a more accurate title where it just says it's a "presentation")
    KajidourdenmrputtsWalkinGlennMaxBaconGdemamiExcession
  • LustsLusts Member RarePosts: 205

Tiamat64 said:

*reads some of the comments*

...sigh, please stop using misleading titles for the article. It's not "over 2.5 hours of gameplay" by definition when good chunks of a 2.5 hour-long video are scripted demos instead of actual gameplay.

Anyone who didn't know about that could be utterly deceived by looking at this video thanks to this article's title by thinking a lot of that scripted stuff is actual gameplay (the video itself has a more accurate title where it just says it's a "presentation")

You apparently haven't watched the entire presentation then because you'd see it is not scripted if you did. Half way into the presentation, a bug presented itself which forced them to restart the entire presentation which played out differently than the last play through. Same players, acting badly, saying different stuff, and doing different things to get back to where they were.
    MaxBaconGdemamiErillion
    edited August 2017
    Lusts said:
    You apparently haven't watched the entire presentation then because you'd see it is not scripted if you did. Half way into the presentation, a bug presented itself which forced them to restart the entire presentation which played out differently than the last play through. Same players, acting badly, saying different stuff, and doing different things to get back to where they were.
    People here seem rather oblivious to how live demos work in game conferences.

There is a script that is always in the way of, what is going to be done is always pre-defined and rehearsed, the demos are shown to the media days before the same way they are then shown to the public, that's when the media also gets to talk about it (usually).

The script is the way it is presented, not the actual gameplay, there is a flow to what they want to do and intend to show. 

You'd find scripted play here in the Idris battle, what is also not part of 3.0, they made the Idris combat possible just a week before the demo, for the demo.

In conferences some do properly fake it, those who pre-render, those who pre-record and then "play over it" to pretend they are playing live what is actually a "video", what clearly did not happen here.
    JoeBloberErillion
    Salenger said:

...before the game is released the graphics will be already 'dated' :-p
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Gdemami said:
    Salenger said:

...before the game is released the graphics will be already 'dated' :-p
    I think maybe that's CIG's plan to open up their market...  It costs an arm and a leg to build the rig to run it now, but by the time it's released...  A grand, tops.
    Erillion

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Tiamat64 said:
    *reads some of the comments* ...sigh, please stop using misleading titles for the article. It's not "over 2.5 hours of gameplay" by definition when good chunks of a 2.5 hour-long video are scripted demos instead of actual gameplay.

Then you should have no problem proving it was all scripted right?
    Erillion

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058
    I still don't get, why they would try to develop everything at once. They should've developed the core space-sim first to a playable state and then develop the rest. This way we would actually be playing SC allready.

I personally don't care about all this FPS-stuff and running around on planets doing quests. I want to secure a chunk of space, exploit the ressources, craft stuff, trade stuff and build an empire. Just like I did in EvE for allmost 10 years, but actually flying the ships.
    Alomar
    Yalexy said:
    I still don't get, why they would try to develop everything at once. 
    Money.
    MadFrenchieExcessionErillion
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    pre-rendered demos are useless at this point.

He'll be doing the same thing in 2020

He's the L Ron Hubbard of gaming.
    GdemamiExcessionMaxBaconErillion
    pre-rendered demos are useless at this point.
    Proving you haven't even watched it, just shouting out sensationalist claims 

CIG always groundbreaking, now able to provide pre-rendered playable demos at the Gamescom booth. Now ain't Ubisoft jealous? :p \o/
    ExcessionGdemamiErillion

MaxBacon said:

Lusts said:

People here seem rather oblivious to how live demos work in game conferences.

There is a script that is always in the way of, what is going to be done is always pre-defined and rehearsed, the demos are shown to the media days before the same way they are then shown to the public, that's when the media also gets to talk about it (usually).

The script is the way it is presented, not the actual gameplay, there is a flow to what they want to do and intend to show. 

You'd find scripted play here in the Idris battle, what is also not part of 3.0, they made the Idris combat possible just a week before the demo, for the demo.

In conferences some do properly fake it, those who pre-render, those who pre-record and then "play over it" to pretend they are playing live what is actually a "video", what clearly did not happen here.

Again, you didn't watch the stream. The only thing 'scripted' in that gameplay was the mission they took on. They've been working on the Idris for a little over a year now. The first time you saw it fly was in the 2.0 demo / trailer as it flew over Port Olisar and that was a scripted event. In the 3.0 presentation, they had two teams of actual people flying both Idris class ships. Chris Roberts even went on to say before the Idris fight that the Idris still isn't done and that there is still some polishing left to do but it was flyable still.

Chris Roberts and CIG aren't being published by some big company they have to impress. They are crowd funded by players who backed the game. As such, their goal is to be as transparent as possible with their backers when it comes to development. That is why we get community shows like Bug Smashers, and Burn Down that gives the backers behind the scene look at not only their meetings and what they are doing, but also at the code itself as they attempt to fix bugs. That is why you see so many cringy Star Citizen presentations and you will always see something go wrong because nothing is scripted. It's all coordinated between staff members as actual players to present actual gameplay on a presentation. They don't care about impressing publishers because they aren't looking for publishers, they care about being as informative as possible with the people who actually funded their game and that is the backers.

As I said, the only thing scripted in that entire demo was the NPC they talked to, to get the mission in which they had to retrieve a black box. Everything else, including the cringy roleplay between players was on the spot and you could tell that by the random banter that they were tossing back and forth in character that made no sense or just was way too awkward.
    ExcessionErillion

Yalexy said:

I still don't get, why they would try to develop everything at once. They should've developed the core space-sim first to a playable state and then develop the rest. This way we would actually be playing SC allready.

I personally don't care about all this FPS-stuff and running around on planets doing quests. I want to secure a chunk of space, exploit the ressources, craft stuff, trade stuff and build an empire. Just like I did in EvE for allmost 10 years, but actually flying the ships.

You do realize Star Citizen has been in development for less time than most triple A titles have right? There is a graph floating around out there that shows development times between Triple A titles and Star Citizen. That being said, they have been building the core experience to the game. Most of the development so far has been on core features that were needed to begin with and that are difficult to code. Example being, air pressurization. They needed to make it so if one door opens to the vacuum of space and there are other open rooms adjacent to that room, that the air in those rooms have to be slowly siphoned out. Also, ships physics grids needed to be done so people can actually walk around in their ships mid flight, as well as being able to store cargo and other vehicles on said ships without it bugging out. Also the itemization system for ships so you can have your ship auto pilot as you walk around, or tell engines to turn on and off or certain systems to be turned on and off. Being able to open doors while in the pilot seat. Etc. There are a ton of core mechanics that they are still developing before they can piece everything together into a core game.

Not only that, you said you wanted to do quests. They had to develop an entirely new pipeline for quests that way quests can be developed faster and pushed out for players to do. Just as they did with ships. They redid and optimized most of their pipelines to make things faster and are optimized better for not only the engine, but for the client. 3.0 is going to introduce about 26 different quest templates, and the engine is going to randomly generate a mission from those templates, often combining them making thousands, if not millions or possibilities of quests to do in 3.0.

Not only that, in this last year, development has sped up quite a bit. They went from ~200 staff members last year to ~400 this year. A lot more people to work on a lot more things.

A lot of people tend to get inpatient with Star Citizen or throw out the "scam" word because it's apparently taking so long, but it hasn't even hit the average development time most games take. Everyone is way too use to publishers pumping out the same game every year that no one seems to understand how long and how hard development actually takes. Those 1 year releases people are use to, are often in development for 2 or 3 years, planned before even the previous title gets pushed out and the reason they take so quickly to push out is because they recycle a lot of code and assets to make the next game. Example being, Assassin's Creed. We've had the same movement, climbing, and combat animations and code for most of the games. Because it was recycled. All that really went into making the new game was new art, textures, environments, story, sounds, etc. That stuff takes significantly a lot less time to develop then having to code an entire game from ground up. Which Star Citizen is doing. So yeah, it's going to take awhile.
    GdemamiExcessionErillion
  • MelgarothMelgaroth Member UncommonPosts: 42
    edited August 2017
    Man, I really want this game to be good, and to be everything CR has hyped it up to be, but increasingly more and more I see this as a scam.

Every year that goes by we get more fluff, jpeg ships costing over $300+, new features that probably no one REALLY cares about, yet at the same time the game continues to look terrible.

The character animations are glitchy, the physics are barely noticeable, movement across the board is janky and unrealistic totally killing immersion for me, buggy beyond belief, and I could go on and on.

I backed the game back in 2013 and i've been paying attention to its development ever since and I can say that over the course of 4 years there have been bright spots but overall I have been disappointed more than excited. 

150+ million dollars and we get this scripted demo with terrible voice actors, crashes, physics bugs, low FPS that I would imagine would be unplayable, and CR pacing back and forth across the stage screaming at his team. 

Anyone that isn't a complete brainwashed fanboy has got to be questioning the legitimacy of this project by now. It would totally blow my mind if the game launches by 2019. What I am expecting is that some point in the next few years this game completely collapses in on itself like a dieing star.

I really really hope I am wrong.
    Gdemami
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Seems 90% of people commenting haven't bothered to actually watch the presentation. Should I be surprised?

I'll put it down to you guys being so excited about SC you passed out watching the video and thought you watched the whole thing. I mean who in their right mind comments on a video they haven't fully watched?