Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Devs Test Out New Gameplay Element - Mission Instances - Ship of Heroes Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageDevs Test Out New Gameplay Element - Mission Instances - Ship of Heroes Videos - MMORPG.com

The Ship of Heroes team is back with another neat video to show off Mission Instances. In this game play video, devs test out the instances along with some of the other previously shown features. The characters are standard player heroes created using customization options that all players will have available.

Read the full story here

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Simple but a good start. Looking forward to seeing this system have allot more depth. I like the idea of a team needing to split up over all going in the same direction. That could add some fun as each team advances it could open the way for the other team.
    vito11wingoodKajidourdenDavodtheTutt
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I'm glad to see instanced missions again. After playing in open world games and having to wait for monsters to respawn, it's great to have a little dungeon to yourself.
    Samhaelwingood
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    It was a short mission to check the basic elements of an instance, and they worked well.  Combine that with the test for team persistence and you have the makings for a good mission!
    waynejr2wingood

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Alverant said:

I'm glad to see instanced missions again. After playing in open world games and having to wait for monsters to respawn, it's great to have a little dungeon to yourself.

Yeah, initially I thought CoH was way over-instanced but now after a few years of open world stuff, I really find myself missing the instancing. It's not such a bad thing after all, I guess. (in my opinion, of course)
    Panther2103wingoodAlverantBlaze_RockerBruceYeewarsaber1375GladDog
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I miss CoH I really wish there was a private server or something out to be honest. All these games that are coming a long that are trying to replicate it are going to take so long to come out.
    wingoodBruceYeeDavodtheTutt
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    GladDog said:
    It was a short mission to check the basic elements of an instance, and they worked well.  Combine that with the test for team persistence and you have the makings for a good mission!

Can't wait!
    GladDog
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

Samhael said:

Alverant said:

Yeah, initially I thought CoH was way over-instanced but now after a few years of open world stuff, I really find myself missing the instancing. It's not such a bad thing after all, I guess. (in my opinion, of course)

I see where you're coming from with over-instanced. I remember a time in Steel Canyon three members of my group had different instances in the same building. It's just one of those things. Then I tried other games where you had to wait for spawning, kill stealing (who else remembers the "kill 200 Carnies in PI"), and accidental agro.

The only time when open world worked to my advantage is when I happened upon a boss someone else was already fighting so both of us got it to count for the mission.
    wingoodGladDog
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Liking the ongoing development of potential and nice added tweaks. I hope the competition between these guys and Valiance Online (which is in closed Alpha for investors) will not lead to a rushed race but striving for excellence that will make both games good and successful, perhaps with "different strokes for different folks."
    wingoodGladDog
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Looks great. I would love to see an instanced team mission, or even single missions, that have one or two people split off and have to head a different route to the boss, and everyone meets up at the main boss. Or in a single player instance sometimes you get joined up with some others, kind of like in comics when (as a generic example) Spider-Man is about to start fighting Kingpin and the Punisher shows up or something.

What I disliked about CoX, Champions, and DCUO is that all team instances are just like other mmorpgs. It doesn't feel very superhero when there is a tank taking all the damage and there is a healer, and I just have to do damage and roll out of or block the fire/whatever.

I think the super hero games do great with the solo play part, but kind of all become a little generic and lose focus in the grouping part.

What would be great is like a city system where there is a limited number of players in each city so you don't see tons of super heroes running around doing the same crap you are. Force players to naturally migrate to a new city where there aren't many heroes and higher crime, and they get a stake in it. Batman is Gotham, Superman is Metropolis, Nightwing is Bloodhaven, The Flash is I forget the name of the city, but you get what I mean. I don't know how well it would work since a ton of people playing mmorpgs want every hook to force everyone into the smallest area, but when I play a super hero mmorpg I kind of want it to be more about me feeling like I'm in a comic then about hooks to pack an area so people feel the world isn't dead or whatever.
  • Psym0nPsym0n Member UncommonPosts: 283

blamo2000 said:

Looks great. I would love to see an instanced team mission, or even single missions, that have one or two people split off and have to head a different route to the boss, and everyone meets up at the main boss. Or in a single player instance sometimes you get joined up with some others, kind of like in comics when (as a generic example) Spider-Man is about to start fighting Kingpin and the Punisher shows up or something.

What I disliked about CoX, Champions, and DCUO is that all team instances are just like other mmorpgs. It doesn't feel very superhero when there is a tank taking all the damage and there is a healer, and I just have to do damage and roll out of or block the fire/whatever.

I think the super hero games do great with the solo play part, but kind of all become a little generic and lose focus in the grouping part.

What would be great is like a city system where there is a limited number of players in each city so you don't see tons of super heroes running around doing the same crap you are. Force players to naturally migrate to a new city where there aren't many heroes and higher crime, and they get a stake in it. Batman is Gotham, Superman is Metropolis, Nightwing is Bloodhaven, The Flash is I forget the name of the city, but you get what I mean. I don't know how well it would work since a ton of people playing mmorpgs want every hook to force everyone into the smallest area, but when I play a super hero mmorpg I kind of want it to be more about me feeling like I'm in a comic then about hooks to pack an area so people feel the world isn't dead or whatever.

This is what set me off on CoH the first time. Hated the fact that there where so many so called "Heroes". The whole word hero means there isn't many of 'em. Well this game was. Also agree on the not feeling heroic when there is someone taking a shitload of damage while you shoot/fight/whatever on the mobs. I mean Batman takes on 20 guys at the same time, as he damn well should. Would be weird to see him die on a pack of trash mobs because Alfred wasn't tanking decently.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Psym0n said:

blamo2000 said:

This is what set me off on CoH the first time. Hated the fact that there where so many so called "Heroes". The whole word hero means there isn't many of 'em. Well this game was. Also agree on the not feeling heroic when there is someone taking a shitload of damage while you shoot/fight/whatever on the mobs. I mean Batman takes on 20 guys at the same time, as he damn well should. Would be weird to see him die on a pack of trash mobs because Alfred wasn't tanking decently.

So what?
    MadFrenchie
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Is it just me or does this look total garbage? Not trying to upset the CoH fans of-course it will be appealing for them but the gfx & animations overall just look horrible! I must be missing someting.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

Vexiusx said:

Is it just me or does this look total garbage? Not trying to upset the CoH fans of-course it will be appealing for them but the gfx & animations overall just look horrible! I must be missing someting.

They look good to me. But I'm happy they aren't appealing to people really in to graphics. There is usually an s strong correlation between how bad a game is and how good it's graphics are. The games with good graphics to people that judge games based on graphics are usually extremely simple so they can be accessible to the broadest audience. Simple doesn't do it for me. I don't want to play a game that children also play because there is just no depth or fun to be had in those games. There is just good graphics and animations and everything good about it is just superficial. Give me graphics that don't appeal to the graphics people and a focused audience looking for depth and complexity over superficial nonsense.
    GladDog
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    This game to me looks like a ripoff of city of heroes to me. Hopefully it will be done better than the orignal.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Siveria said:
    This game to me looks like a ripoff of city of heroes to me. Hopefully it will be done better than the orignal.
    If City of Heroes was still active, this might be a valid complaint.  But, it isn't.  A direct ripoff would likely be welcomed by thousands of people if someone could get away with it legally.

That said, there are a lot of things separating this game from City of Heroes.  This game is being made considering the lessons learned from CoH.  They are planning to use the good ideas from CoH and making them better (more modern engine means they can do a lot of things the CoH devs could only dream of).  And, they are learning the lessons from the 'less than good' side of CoH.  I've often said that if City of Heroes was perfect, it would still be running.  The not-perfect things are a lesson of what to avoid, or what could have been better if they had done it 'that way.'

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

GladDog said:

Siveria said:

If City of Heroes was still active, this might be a valid complaint.  But, it isn't.  A direct ripoff would likely be welcomed by thousands of people if someone could get away with it legally.

That said, there are a lot of things separating this game from City of Heroes.  This game is being made considering the lessons learned from CoH.  They are planning to use the good ideas from CoH and making them better (more modern engine means they can do a lot of things the CoH devs could only dream of).  And, they are learning the lessons from the 'less than good' side of CoH.  I've often said that if City of Heroes was perfect, it would still be running.  The not-perfect things are a lesson of what to avoid, or what could have been better if they had done it 'that way.'

That's very vague. Can you give specifics?

What are the things separating this game from CoH?
    What are the good ideas that they're making better?
    What are the things the CoH devs could only dream of?
    What are the lessons from the 'less than good side' of CoH?
    What are the not perfect things that will be avoided?
    --------------------------------------------
    edited August 2017

GladDog said:

Siveria said:

That's very vague. Can you give specifics?

What are the things separating this game from CoH?
    What are the good ideas that they're making better?
    What are the things the CoH devs could only dream of?
    What are the lessons from the 'less than good side' of CoH?
    What are the not perfect things that will be avoided?
    1 - The game is set in space, so the sky is the limit.  They can (and are planning to) have planets be zones that are visited in a cycle.  The Augment (enhancement) system is different, and is not limited by something like Enhancement Diversification.  The way this is set up though, it is going to be a lot harder to min-max than it was in CoH.  People are going to have to make tougher choices how they slot things than with City.  Team size is larger, and Temp powers are going to be critical to success, as they are a LOT different than in City.  That's just a bit, there are a lot more differences.  Check out their forums.

2 - Team persistence and team size, among other things.  One of the big complaints about City was if you disco'd you were dropped from the team.  That is different in Ship.  Also, one thing a lot of players wanted was bigger teams, which Ship is supplying.  The random mission generator will be much better than the one in City.  More, but you get the point.

3 - Graphic quality, building textures, effects, ease of powerset implenmentation, and so on.

4 - TERRIBLE random mission generator.  You could go into a shiny new office building and be in a cave.  You could enter a cave and be in a Rikti spaceship.  There was not enough controls in the system for people behaving badly, and they did behave badly, especially after the game went free to play.  That will not be the case here.  Also, this is a game that can survive on a smaller player base than City, so they can deal with misbehavers in a proper way, including banning for a period of time.  And so on and so forth.

5 - If you made a character in City, and you hated it, the only option you had was deletion.  They are working on a system to take a developed character and change them to what you want.

There are lots more things, but I'm not gonna do 40 pages of notes answering this question.  Go to www.shipofheroes.com and read the forums if you want more insight.

Wellspring