Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How I Learned to Love the Grind - Dauntless Previews

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageHow I Learned to Love the Grind - Dauntless Previews

Dauntless has finally left the land of NDA (nondisclosure) and it’s time to see what all the hub bub is about this game. Dauntless describes itself as a co-op action, RPG where you battle ferocious Behemoths, craft powerful weapons and forge your legend in the Shattered Isles.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited August 2017
    Hub bub indeed.

From what I've seen Dauntless is a lobby/hub game which lacks any long term play depth. After the new smell goes away you're left with 4 weapons, a party of 4, a couple beasts you kill 3-4 times for achievements and mats. Stir repeat.

The combat isn't really much beyond a tank and spank (with no tank). You dodge a bit. The creatures never do anything that requires the party to truly work together or think. Maybe there's more to it later on, but I'm not betting on it. You don't even have to do any work to actually find the creature. Where's the skill progression?

Wait till Monster Hunter World perhaps?
    m1tchkAlomarLucienRenebeebop500
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • brandedwolfbrandedwolf Member UncommonPosts: 27

Hub bub indeed.

From what I've seen Dauntless is a lobby/hub game which lacks any long term play depth. After the new smell goes away you're left with 4 weapons, a party of 4, a couple beasts you kill 3-4 times for achievements and mats. Stir repeat.

The combat isn't really much beyond a tank and spank (with no tank). You dodge a bit. The creatures never do anything that requires the party to truly work together or think. Maybe there's more to it later on, but I'm not betting on it. You don't even have to do any work to actually find the creature. Where's the skill progression?

I'd say it's worth a try once it launches since it's free to play. The type of game this is, much like Monster Hunter is a grind. But that's ok, some people love that. What they do moving forward when they release will make or break them especially when Monster Hunter World launches.
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    edited August 2017
    I can't get through the entire article. There's a lot of formatting errors in this, mate. And it's grating on my nerves trying to read through it. You need to proof-read before posting. Your intro paragraph was repeated. You created an unnecessary two sentence paragraph, while cutting the second sentence in it in half. You keep using the word; "everyone's." Everyone is always singular and cannot be pluralized, which means everyones is incorrect. If everyones were a word, everyones' would be the possessive form of everyones. But since everyones is incorrect, everyones' is also incorrect. And then so is everyone's. Also, you have several run-on sentences and missing commas.

PLEASE proof-read.
    Post edited by Keldor837 on
    SamhaelbrandedwolfkinkyJalepenoAyinLucienReneysn888lecram64WarLord2424Psym0nrensta
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Keldor837 said:

I can't get through the entire article. There's a lot of formatting errors in this, mate. And it's grating on my nerves trying to read through it. You need to proof-read before posting. Your intro paragraph was repeated. You created an unnecessary two sentence paragraph, while cutting the second sentence in it in half. You keep using the word; "everyone's." Everyone is always singular and cannot be pluralized, which means everyones is incorrect. If everyones were a word, everyones' would be the possessive form of everyones. But since everyones is incorrect, everyones' is also incorrect. And then so is everyone's. Also, you have several run-on sentences and missing comma's.

PLEASE proof-read.

Not his fault, but mine, as my edits didn't get committed to the disk before live.
    LucienReneysn888lecram64rensta

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Keldor837 said:

I can't get through the entire article. There's a lot of formatting errors in this, mate. And it's grating on my nerves trying to read through it. You need to proof-read before posting. Your intro paragraph was repeated. You created an unnecessary two sentence paragraph, while cutting the second sentence in it in half. You keep using the word; "everyone's." Everyone is always singular and cannot be pluralized, which means everyones is incorrect. If everyones were a word, everyones' would be the possessive form of everyones. But since everyones is incorrect, everyones' is also incorrect. And then so is everyone's. Also, you have several run-on sentences and missing comma's.

PLEASE proof-read.

Not his fault, but mine, as my edits didn't get committed to the disk before live.

Thanks for fixing what you could.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    cant wait for this game i watched it on twitch and it looks fun times;)
  • FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

Keldor837 said:

PLEASE proof-read.

Why is there an apostrophe in "Comma's"?

Read at your leisure - http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/commas.asp
    Keldor837lecram64
  • LasterbaLasterba Member UncommonPosts: 137

DMKano said:

run around map for hours collecting resources - check

25min+ fights where you pray lag doesnt happen during dodge where you get one shot - check

rng loot after boss kills - check

rinse and repeat - yep

You only have 30 minutes per island...it is literally impossible to run around on an island for hours. Additionally, most people just run straight to the behemoth rather than even worrying about gatherables. Finally, if you really want to gather materials you can join a solo hunt, pick up the stuff you want, then just let the behemoth kill you and go back to town...and it doesn't take hours.

It is fairly obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.
    LucienRene

Hub bub indeed.

Alpha.

More content is on the way. There is even a "coming soon" section in the weapons tab in the loadout menu.

If you don't enjoy the game that's fine, I couldn't care less if you enjoy it or not. But, at least know why you don't enjoy it rather than making baseless assumptions.

FuryV said:

Keldor837 said:

PLEASE proof-read.

Thank for catching this. Btw, when putting quotations around a word that is the end of a sentence or prior to a comma. The quotations come after the period/comma/question mark.
  • EpirusEpirus Member CommonPosts: 2
    edited August 2017
    Chain blades are a longer range lower dps weapon, not short range high dps. All weapons have the ability to do elemental attacks, not just sword. As for the comment about the behemoths being simple and not requiring teamwork, that changes quickly as you move up to higher level behemoths. The first few are there to ease you into the basic mechanics.
    Lasterbabrandedwolf

Torval said:

Lasterba said:

DMKano said:

25min+ fights where you pray lag doesnt happen during dodge where you get one shot - check

rinse and repeat - yep

You only have 30 minutes per island...it is literally impossible to run around on an island for hours. Additionally, most people just run straight to the behemoth rather than even worrying about gatherables. Finally, if you really want to gather materials you can join a solo hunt, pick up the stuff you want, then just let the behemoth kill you and go back to town...and it doesn't take hours.

That sounds even worse than what he described.

Regardless of whether or not you like what the game is...at least know why you either like or dislike it. Why make shit up?
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited August 2017

Lasterba said:

Hub bub indeed.

Alpha.

More content is on the way. There is even a "coming soon" section in the weapons tab in the loadout menu.

If you don't enjoy the game that's fine, I couldn't care less if you enjoy it or not. But, at least know why you don't enjoy it rather than making baseless assumptions.

They're not baseless I got this information from watching 2-3 different streams of people who bought in (who themselves are advising people it's not worth the price tag and to wait).

I literally outlined exactly what I found lacking in detail. Stop behaving like some insulted fan boy.

P.S. Monster Hunter World looks WAY better in every way. Sorry not sorry.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • lecram64lecram64 Member UncommonPosts: 3

Keldor837 said:

I can't get through the entire article. There's a lot of formatting errors in this, mate. And it's grating on my nerves trying to read through it. You need to proof-read before posting. Your intro paragraph was repeated. You created an unnecessary two sentence paragraph, while cutting the second sentence in it in half. You keep using the word; "everyone's." Everyone is always singular and cannot be pluralized, which means everyones is incorrect. If everyones were a word, everyones' would be the possessive form of everyones. But since everyones is incorrect, everyones' is also incorrect. And then so is everyone's. Also, you have several run-on sentences and missing commas.

PLEASE proof-read.

LOL. Is this mmorpg.com or English 101?
  • AegirisAegiris Member UncommonPosts: 49

Keldor837 said:

FuryV said:

Keldor837 said:

PLEASE proof-read.

Thank for catching this. Btw, when putting quotations around a word that is the end of a sentence or prior to a comma. The quotations come after the period/comma/question mark.

That rule applies in the U.S., but not every country follows it. IIRC the British standard allows for either/or depending on the circumstances.
  • brandedwolfbrandedwolf Member UncommonPosts: 27

Epirus said:

Chain blades are a longer range lower dps weapon, not short range high dps. All weapons have the ability to do elemental attacks, not just sword. As for the comment about the behemoths being simple and not requiring teamwork, that changes quickly as you move up to higher level behemoths. The first few are there to ease you into the basic mechanics.

Thanks for this. Will update my personal notes. I just don't feel like even the later Behemoths currently require a great deal of teamwork. But all of my perspective is coming from a place of playing a lot of Monster Hunter. In no way am I saying Dauntless is bad mind you. Just my personal experience.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited August 2017
    Lasterba said:

DMKano said:

rinse and repeat - yep

Well, fairly obvious you have NO clue what you are talking about either!!!

All you need to do is watch some videos to see how completely boring it looks.  Even Wow dungeons offer more challenge!
  • strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Gotta love the pedantic first day on the net mofos.
  • DkuangDkuang Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Yeah, after playing the Founds Alpha for about 4 days with about 3-4 hours daily...I sorta got very bored, very quickly.

Gathering mats is easy enough, and doesn't take that much of a "grind" but the uncommon and rare crafting mats you need from the behemoths...oh god, those can get to be quite the chore. I don't mind a boss fight, behemoth in this case, just as much as the next guy but with each fight lasting 10-20 minutes at times...and after the 15th-20th time fighting the same guy and not getting the ONE drop you need to upgrade your gear or even craft it? Yeah, it's the RNG gods at work again, forcing a HUGE time sink in an otherwise "mediocre" game at the moment.

I say at the moment because I surely hope they plan to add more to the game than just "go kill" this next behemoth for the sake of killing the next behemoth, then the next, and the next, until you hit the RNG wall in which you can't do squat but farm the same one over and over and over and over again and get frustrated with how shallow the game actually is. Because small little islands with nothing but gatherables, one shot rams, and one behemoth gets very boring extremely fast.

Also noted are the weapons, no point to go anything but chain blades or sword if you actually want to do dps and get on the "Damage Dealer" top rank for each fight because axes blow hard, slow, have to charge (meaning you're not mobile in the fight) so you get your ass beat. Hammers are "descent" but again, slow as heck and with the fact Dauntless current dodge system doesn't let you break swing animations to dodge, you'll get plowed/hit/knocked down by the behemoths pretty much all the time. That is unless you're playing twitchy, not doing combos, and only swinging 1x-2x, and then dodge rolling. Which in all honesty takes the combo element out of the weapons entirely.

You reap what you sow.

• beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    You only have 30 minutes per island? Lol. And this will be an f2p game, so....what do you want to bet they're going to sell something in the cash shop to extend your time on the island? Sorry but I was initially kinda sorta excited for this due to its MH similarity, but now it looks rather skip-able.
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • RhyaukRhyauk Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I am excited for this game, looking forward to trying it out when it releases.
  • DesralDesral Member UncommonPosts: 31
    how to know your game will burn out and fizzle in a handful of months:

the very first article about ALPHA is titled "How I Learned to Love the Grind"

Btw, if you see this line in ANY article, just replace it with "This will be a terrible game." Just as accurate.
  • NexaamNexaam Member UncommonPosts: 7
    If they add more monsters that you can actually fight instead of smacking some deers/stags around or going straight to the boss then maybe just maybe it'll get better.
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Tried to capture the MH feel and completely failed at it.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited August 2017
    "How I learned to love the grind".  Sounds like something someone with Stockholm syndrome would say.

Might as well have been titled "How I learned to love being slapped in the face" or "How I learned to love the sound of nails on a chalkboard".