Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the Pub is wortless here at mmorpg.

Comments

• dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Have you ever argued with a household cat over spilling the milk bowl.... You know the cat is wrong, it's a fact, but trying to get your point across is impossible no matter how you phrase it. 

Well stated.

This has been my experience on nearly every usenet newsgroup, forum and chat across the internet since the beginning of the internet. This is a constant, not just here on this site. Two reasons.  One: roughly half of the people alive right now have an IQ less than the average. Two: people like to be Right and will not admit to being wrong.
    KyleranHatefull
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

The Pub is truly worthless..... I stick to sub topics, but even still the same ten follow.

In addition, worthiness is in the eye of the beholder.
    As is wortiness.
    HatefullRobsolf

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    Hi! 

I like the existence of the pub simply because it is a starting point. Not every player venturing into these boards is already playing an MMO. In fact, many players will float from game to game as time passes. The Pub to me is a place that is neutral to a specific sub-forum or game title enough to ask for neutral questions. 

What might be wrong with the Pub itself? 

Is it Quality? 
    Quality works IFF everyone participates in reading and giving as much correspondence as possible AND people are not afraid to express what they actually think WHILE staying on topic. 

Is it Lack of Direction? 
    Could it be that a person enters the board and thinks "well let me start this thread in the game I am interested in playing" -just to start a general "which game should I play thread" in a specific sub-forum? If so, then it means many spam threads are being started that should be moved here. 

What about language? 
    I find that even though the forum is visited by many from the west, that there is enough language comprehension herein allowing many to communicate with one another. The most remarkable thing I've seen behind all the toxic-language is when a person arrives who does not have English as their L1 language and such a person receives help in getting a point across. 

I feel that potential does exist, but it can only come out if people actually work together. Many of the forums I visit have succumbed to extremely toxic language to the point that many people go from writing to only reading. The level of communication decreases out of fear; People think more on what kind of response they will receive to their writing, rather than posting what is on their mind. This results in many people (including myself) believing that sometimes after writing a long post, that it is better to not post it at all. 

Then when another writes a post similar to mine and gets ripped apart for it, I have to resort to thinking "I am happy I didn't post that" when truth be told, I should be thinking "why didn't I post that?" 

People believe that Toxic Environments are just in the people who only post the meanest and most threatening of the trashiest thing around there. But it is also in the polar opposite (the other side of the coin), people who only read, but never post... or people who withhold far too much. 

I am part of the toxic environment on the polar end of things, 
    But In the very least I can admit my contribution to such a foul environment 
    and attempt to try to get better.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Robsolf said:
    "Omg, people disagree with my utterly assinine opinions that I keep trying to shove down their throats! Wtf is wrong with them!"
    "Surely it must have something to do with the forum!  It must be using some hostile boolean algorithm or font most derisive!"

Note to self:  discovered new band name
    Ladies and gentlemen, we present you "Font Most Offensive!" They'll be playing their hit Italic Insults.

Sorry, I just had too...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

cameltosisHatefullPhaserlightRobsolfZombieCat
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

dougha1 said:
    Have you ever argued with a household cat over spilling the milk bowl.... You know the cat is wrong, it's a fact, but trying to get your point across is impossible no matter how you phrase it. 

Well stated.

This has been my experience on nearly every usenet newsgroup, forum and chat across the internet since the beginning of the internet. This is a constant, not just here on this site. Two reasons.  One: roughly half of the people alive right now have an IQ less than the average. Two: people like to be Right and will not admit to being wrong.
    You don't just call something a fact btw, you need to back it up with info, links etc. OP has a hard time seperating fact from opinion, always has.

I like your point two too. It gets supported by your point one. That is, if you consider yourself to be of above average intelligence (which you do), you must be on the right side of things and the other person is wrong and just doesn't want to admit it. Of course you could be wrong yourself and in denial but I guess that can't be the case now can it?

The internet can be of tough place for those used to being 'right.'

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    KyleranConstantineMerusHatefullRobsolf

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    lahnmir said:
    dougha1 said:

Well stated.

You don't just call something a fact btw, you need to back it up with info, links etc. OP has a hard time seperating fact from opinion, always has.

I like your point two too. It gets supported by your point one. That is, if you consider yourself to be of above average intelligence (which you do), you must be on the right side of things and the other person is wrong and just doesn't want to admit it. Of course you could be wrong yourself and in denial but I guess that can't be the case now can it?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Your just dying for me to say something, ANYTHING !

Doesn't matter what it is, your checking and checking often.  You want to twist it around and do a nasty spin on what ever it is.

Waiting.....Waiting.....Waiting...... :)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    lahnmir said:
    dougha1 said:

Well stated.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Doesn't matter what it is, your checking and checking often.  You want to twist it around and do a nasty spin on what ever it is.

Oh no, your OP gave us plenty to work with, no need for you to provide any additional input.

Back to spilling more milk.

B)
    EpicJohnson[Deleted User]HatefullRobsolf

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:
    dougha1 said:

Well stated.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Oh no, your OP gave us plenty to work with, no need for you to provide any additional input.

Back to spilling more milk.

B)

I'll provide the entertainment...........
    lahnmir said:
    dougha1 said:

Well stated.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Nah, I don't need to spin or twist anything, I just take your own words and then apply your own logic and presto, let the magic happen.

And I'm not checking often tbh, its the same as being curious about whose cat keeps throwing up on your doorstep every morning, a strange annoyance.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Hatefull[Deleted User]Robsolf

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    lahnmir said:
    dougha1 said:

Well stated.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

the way you use your in this instance is incorrect, you mean: You're. That is a fact.

Sorry had to be done

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    dougha1 said:

Well stated.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Nah, I don't need to spin or twist anything, I just take your own words and then apply your own logic and presto, let the magic happen.

And I'm not checking often tbh, its the same as being curious about whose cat keeps throwing up on your doorstep every morning, a strange annoyance.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Wait...what, was that a reference to me? 

I would never do such a thing, every cat knows vomit belongs carefully hidden in your shoes or a pile of laundry.

;)

Hatefull[Deleted User]lahnmirRobsolf

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Anyone who argues with a cat is never right.
    Hatefull[Deleted User]PhaserlightKyleranRobsolf

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited August 2017
    Gorwe said:

In the topic here "why mmos are dying" and out of 186 replies, and 4.6K viewers, MANY are saying the same thing using different words to express the EXACT SAME THING. 

Infact I would say the right answer is the POPULAR answer.  But its spread among at least 25 other wrong answers. 

If someone were to use percentages like "I feel 33% here agree with me", the population would focus on where you got 33% from ?....... Knowing full well no one can figure the percentage, but to undermine you. 

Even in this reply where I stated "25 wrong answers"...... This in itself gives the argument power to undermine.  We basically have a back door to twist anything around:

- using percentages would get you killed.
    - stating it's a fact would get you killed.
    - using I believe would get you killed.
    - bad spelling will get you killed (me). 
    - the way you phrase your topic will get you killed (me).
    - the most popular....people here will kill you just to have fun.
    - the other most popular.  Around ten hardcore posters control ALL TOPICS. 
    - another more popular.  People often argue just because they like to win. They my not even care !

This topic was inspired by seeing the RIGHT answer many times in the topic "why mmos are dying".  I'm actually afraid to say what that right answer is because it would open up the back door for argument !!! 

The Pub is truly worthless..... I stick to sub topics, but even still the same ten follow.
    Why try to change other people's opinion? Just state your opinion, defend it if you must and be done with it. Trust me, it's not worth it to try to convert other people. Also, if you can state facts, do and cement your fact via a link. Easy.
    The issue being @delete5230 tends to think his opinions are fact and anyone that disagrees with him (or her I honestly do not know) is automatically attacking. I will use the example provided in the OP.

33% - When I see this my first thought is: Oh wow maybe a study or something along those lines was published and I can find this and learn something. So I ask: where do you acquire these statistics? it's not me trying to say HA! YOU ARE WRONG NOOB! It's me trying to see if there is an opportunity to expand my knowledge.

Some people on these boards have actually messaged me and sent me a link to read up on stuff they said, and it was appreciated, other people straight up say they are making things up. @delete5230 just can't seem to wrap his (or her) mind around the idea that saying things, engaging in conversation assumes you are open to an opposing point of view, he/she seems to think that whatever they assert is the end and that the internet will bow down and congratulate him/her on their magnificent insight into all things.

So at this point, @delete5230 has just become troll food. Amusing when there is not much else going on, but mostly irrelevant to any discussion.

Unless, of course, it is a discussion about his/her irrelevance...then He/She is relevant...yeah.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Then the point of most conversations is pointless.  Expressing your opinions anywhere is pointless.  People at rallies who talk about like things is pointless..... Having a place to share opinions anywhere is a method for people to express themselves.  It's either valueless anywhere, including the pub.  Or the mere fact of being able to discuss has value, whether something is achieved or not.

I self identify as a monkey.

mgilbrtsn said:
    Then the point of most conversations is pointless.  Expressing your opinions anywhere is pointless.  People at rallies who talk about like things is pointless..... Having a place to share opinions anywhere is a method for people to express themselves.  It's either valueless anywhere, including the pub.  Or the mere fact of being able to discuss has value, whether something is achieved or not.
    The key thing to remember is opinions are not equally valuable.

There are clearly posters here whose opinions I value more, even when we are in total disagreement, while others can trend towards being mostly worthless.

Robsolf[Deleted User]mgilbrtsnGdemami

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Gorwe said:

In the topic here "why mmos are dying" and out of 186 replies, and 4.6K viewers, MANY are saying the same thing using different words to express the EXACT SAME THING. 

Infact I would say the right answer is the POPULAR answer.  But its spread among at least 25 other wrong answers. 

If someone were to use percentages like "I feel 33% here agree with me", the population would focus on where you got 33% from ?....... Knowing full well no one can figure the percentage, but to undermine you. 

Even in this reply where I stated "25 wrong answers"...... This in itself gives the argument power to undermine.  We basically have a back door to twist anything around:

- using percentages would get you killed.
    - stating it's a fact would get you killed.
    - using I believe would get you killed.
    - bad spelling will get you killed (me). 
    - the way you phrase your topic will get you killed (me).
    - the most popular....people here will kill you just to have fun.
    - the other most popular.  Around ten hardcore posters control ALL TOPICS. 
    - another more popular.  People often argue just because they like to win. They my not even care !

This topic was inspired by seeing the RIGHT answer many times in the topic "why mmos are dying".  I'm actually afraid to say what that right answer is because it would open up the back door for argument !!! 

Why try to change other people's opinion? Just state your opinion, defend it if you must and be done with it. Trust me, it's not worth it to try to convert other people. Also, if you can state facts, do and cement your fact via a link. Easy.
    Except,  of course and it happens quite often , on this site ...

When someone provides link with other peoples  opinions, that , in there mind makes there opinion fact..

Then all begins to look like Mr Kotters casserole , when fully digested comes out like sh*%..
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Not much to say but I did want to say, fun read lol. Need things like this from time to time or you just stop smiling. (((happy sigh)))
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I think 98% of the people in this thread know whats going on =-D
    Kyleran
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    immodium said:
    Anyone who argues with a cat is never right.
    What if you argue "anyone who argues with a cat is never right." with a cat?

Conundrum, eh?
    Kyleran
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited August 2017
    Welcome to freedom of speech.

We all know how these forums work. You don't get to clique click vote others down here. You have the power to read, ignore, disagree and argue all you want.

This is a good thing.

I highly suggest those frothed up enough to post the obvious things they cannot change to do what I have learned:

Post your opinion and thoughts providing data supporting why you came to your conclusions ... and even if blithering idiots continue to obviously not absorb any information for consideration (it isn't just about changing minds but about expanding understanding), perhaps clarify once and then move the fuck on to discussions worthy of intelligence.

Kyleran

You stay sassy!

Kyleran said:
    mgilbrtsn said:

There are clearly posters here whose opinions I value more, even when we are in total disagreement, while others can trend towards being mostly worthless.

I agree.  There are definitely people who hold higher or lower values for me when considering their opinions.  However, to say the forum is a waste, seems a bit ASSinine and would fall into the category of 'lower value.'
    KyleranCecropia[Deleted User]GdemamiHatefull

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,511
    edited August 2017
    I like the pub! keeps me informed on all matters related to mmos and occasional perfectly executed trolling. 

I am a  goodperson to talk to in the pub. You can find me in the corner standing there as a white knight! 
    Coorslite

mmorpg junkie since 1999

edited August 2017
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Kyleran said:
    mgilbrtsn said:

I agree.  There are definitely people who hold higher or lower vas for me when considering their opinions.  However, to say the forum is a waste, seems a bit ASSinine and would fall into the category of 'lower value.'
    I enjoy this site and all of the many posters here, and rare is the day I would block someone or consider their opinion without value.  (Well except @Gdemami 's incessant and often unfathomable LOLs)  ;)

I'm only poking fun at the OP because of his hostile, know it all attitude and slamming of us lesser mortals who fail to appreciate the great truths he shares with us.

I still read his threads,  but then I'm easily entertained, I play with string after all.  :)
    Cecropiamgilbrtsn[Deleted User]PhaserlightHatefullcameltosis

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    If your goal on forums is to change peoples opinions your cat is actually right and you're wrong.
    Hatefull
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Kyleran said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Kyleran said:
    mgilbrtsn said:

I agree.  There are definitely people who hold higher or lower vas for me when considering their opinions.  However, to say the forum is a waste, seems a bit ASSinine and would fall into the category of 'lower value.'
    I enjoy this site and all of the many posters here, and rare is the day I would block someone or consider their opinion without value.  (Well except @Gdemami 's incessant and often unfathomable LOLs)  ;)

I'm only poking fun at the OP because of his hostile, know it all attitude and slamming of us lesser mortals who fail to appreciate the great truths he shares with us.

I still read his threads,  but then I'm easily entertained, I play with string after all.  :)
    There used to be someone on here and I can't remember his name, but I always enjoyed his rants.  They were priceless, if somewhat psychedelic.  He was banned a couple of times, but always came back.  It must have finally taken.