Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time to move out of mom's basement!

CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
Looks like the Overwatch League is actually taking steps towards making e-Sports legitimate. We know about the whole price to buy a team. Now, though, they've set standards for player salaries. $50k per year minimum salary, plus bonus, plus healthcare. Wow! Shit just got real! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
----------------

kb4bluMrMelGibson

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The question will always be is it entertaining enough for the audience?
    bartoni33
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    with the prices in the real world I wish I could move into my mom's basement

MrMelGibsonOctagon7711PhryPhaserlightHatefullGorwe
  • MikaelJordanMikaelJordan Member CommonPosts: 20
    I think if you ever joined playing Overwatch as a professional player, you will live in the team house most of the time for training - So Mom's basement will be an option for holiday :D

Official announcement from Blizzard: https://overwatchleague.com/en-us/news/20937016

And yes, as long as this game series, league entertains the audiences - It will be maintained.

Question: How could I contact and apply to play for a professional team?

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    So-called "e-sports" just is not entertaining to me. Why would I rather watch people playing games when I can be playing games myself. I really don't care to make anyone wealthy by taking away my leisure time or my time from playing games myself.

Mendelbartoni33

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    It is not really the amount people earn that makes a sport entertaining or not. I think the people making the devs need to make them more entertaining to watch for it to grow faster.

Yes, it helps if the pros actually can afford to live on it but a sport have only so much potential as it is fun to watch.

Games in general tend to instead focus on how fun they are to play.
  • RofusEURofusEU Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Heh, there are so many players that becoming a pro requires some serious work so I wouldn't set becoming one as my life goal :sweat_smile:
  • HeyYouVideoGameHeyYouVideoGame Member UncommonPosts: 22
    why would they put caps on player salaries? Also - why 50,000? Seems very relative.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Gruug said:
    So-called "e-sports" just is not entertaining to me. Why would I rather watch people playing games when I can be playing games myself. I really don't care to make anyone wealthy by taking away my leisure time or my time from playing games myself.

Curious, are you interested in actual sports and if so do you ever watch them or just play them?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Sovrath said:
    Gruug said:

Curious, are you interested in actual sports and if so do you ever watch them or just play them?
    Not particularly interested in watching sports myself, even though i do enjoy some of them, like tennis and volleyball, but watching is far less fun than doing in my own experience, i think for esports its much the same, i enjoy playing cs:go, but don't have the patience to watch others play it. :/
    [Deleted User]
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I love watching Esports personally. It's entertaining to watch the best of the best compete, watching it gives me a take away to better my gameplay, it's also nice to root for someone and watch them go along in a tourny. It's good they are giving them a living wage, it makes everything better for teams who may not be the greatest, so they can still get better and be able to earn enough while playing even if they aren't winning the majors.

I can see why some people don't like to watch it, but it feels the same as normal sports for me. You can go join a team for basketball and play it all day every day if you want, but a lot of people would rather just watch it and root for their teams. 
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Cleffy said:
    Guess so Reference and Reference I think online views will always eclipse attendance but I think it will continue to grow.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Hatefull said:
    Cleffy said:
    Guess so Reference and Reference I think online views will always eclipse attendance but I think it will continue to grow.
    If the games are popular the attendance will be big. I enjoy watching the games I like to play, maybe I would go to an event if it were ever where I lived. 
  • TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    edited August 2017
    Well, it's a step in the right direction if they want to be professional/taken serious as a sports league. That being said, its nothing for me... Just like with football, I rather play the game than watch others. 
    [Deleted User]
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Tofke said:
    Well, it's a step in the right direction if they want to be professional/taken serious as a sports league. That being said, its nothing for me... Just like with football, I rather play the game than watch others. 

Totally agree. It's two-fold, though. So this development means Pro Gamer is a viable career path (so it might seem). Secondly, it will, hopefully, stomp out that persisting argument that "Anyone could do it if you just sat at home all day." Now it'll be like, "Sooooooo, if you can do it so easily, why wouldn't you take the $50k minimum + healthcare?" 
    [Deleted User]

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Torval said:
    Phry said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gruug said:

Not particularly interested in watching sports myself, even though i do enjoy some of them, like tennis and volleyball, but watching is far less fun than doing in my own experience, i think for esports its much the same, i enjoy playing cs:go, but don't have the patience to watch others play it. :/
    This is me watching sports:

Well yeah, it's Soccer. Of course their bored. Try something more exciting. ;)

I see where @Sovrath is going with his question. While right now it's ridiculous to compare real sports with video games if these competitions do become mainstream and are watched/followed by non-gamers then the comparison will work.

I look at it this way: In ancient times if you would ask a gladiator what he thought of a game where people ran around a wooden floor bouncing a ball and shooting it into a hoop he would laugh and say "that's not a real sport! What I do is a REAL sport!" In 40-50 years time e-sports might be valued the same as "real" sports are. Especially considering the medical issues that can plague people for life involving real sports.

[Deleted User]

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Sovrath said:
    Gruug said:

I think real life sports is a bit different. On one aspect, we've known them all our lives. So we can spot skill, understand a good play and so on. 

There's also the element of being a fan of one's home team. That has a big role. Sports are part of our culture. We are emotionally attached to them. 

As for eSports, I used to play Q3A professionally--literally I mean, I made my living off playing the game. I also watched a lot of competitions and recordings of other players matches, not just to better myself but because I enjoyed it. I think in eSports, you have to play a game yourself to some extend, then you'd realize what's going on in the game, only then you can appreciate the skill of others. 

Try to watch a LoL match on YouTube. You realize the commentator goes ballistics sometimes and screams in joy and amazement. If you haven't played the game yourself, you'd no idea wtf has just happened besides just one team killed off the other. But if you have played it yourself, then you'd realize the level of skill, synergy and teamwork. You'd know they had to have practiced that move hundreds of times. I guess, then you'd enjoy watching others play as well. 
    bartoni33
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Hatefull said:
    Cleffy said:
    If the games are popular the attendance will be big. I enjoy watching the games I like to play, maybe I would go to an event if it were ever where I lived. 
    Did you read the numbers there...or maybe I am not understanding your comment, are you trying to debate the live vs online attendance numbers? Or just saying that popular games will see higher over all attendance as opposed to less popular games?

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.