Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really quiet here, is this game stalled?

Comments

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    bentrim said:
    Its not stalled, just ANOTHER PVP game with a VERY limited audience. Keep making games for that 8% demographic you are targeting devs. Smart...since ALL of the same types of these games are doing SOOOO well.
    Complaining about the targeted audience for a MMO is illogical since there are MMO's for every demographic...

Its like complaining why burgers joints aren't steak houses... 
    GdemamiPhryHatefullGolelorn

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Kyleran said:
    bentrim said:
    Its not stalled, just ANOTHER PVP game with a VERY limited audience. Keep making games for that 8% demographic you are targeting devs. Smart...since ALL of the same types of these games are doing SOOOO well.
    Er, perhaps you got lost? Saga of Lucima and Pantheon forums can be found --> for those more inclined to PVE.

You are correct, this is an extraordinarily PVP focused MMO and always has been.

In fact the narrow focus was supposed to help ensure a more rapid delivery cycle, but clearly that hasn't been the result.

;)
    Yep, that's our fault, even if there are valid reasons for it.
    Kyleran said:
    bentrim said:
    Er, perhaps you got lost? Saga of Lucima and Pantheon forums can be found --> for those more inclined to PVE.

You are correct, this is an extraordinarily PVP focused MMO and always has been.

In fact the narrow focus was supposed to help ensure a more rapid delivery cycle, but clearly that hasn't been the result.

;)

Oh man, can you imagine if they'd tried developing a full PvE game along with it, like DAoC had?  Beta 1 by 2027, maybe, if they'd gotten the funding to begin with.
    I didn't realize you were such an optimist!! :) 
    bentrim said:
    Complaining about the targeted audience for a MMO is illogical since there are MMO's for every demographic...

I couldn't agree more, especially since we said that right from the beginning.
    PhryKyleranJamesGoblinOctagon7711cameltosisHatefullZombieCatNightblazed

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited August 2017
    Kyleran said:
    bentrim said:

;)
    Kyleran said:
    bentrim said:

;)

Oh man, can you imagine if they'd tried developing a full PvE game along with it, like DAoC had?  Beta 1 by 2027, maybe, if they'd gotten the funding to begin with.

Realist!  ;)
    JamesGoblin
    Anyway, Mark, keep up the hard work!  If we didn't care, we wouldn't be giving you guys a hard time.
    Octagon7711cameltosisJamesGoblin
    Anyway, Mark, keep up the hard work!  If we didn't care, we wouldn't be giving you guys a hard time.
    Hehe, I know that, that's why I keep coming back. 

And I do have a sense of humor and as many of the posters here know, I don't mind a little snark thrown my way, especially when it is really funny! If you can't laugh a little at yourself, especially in my/our situation, then you really need to get a life or at least buy one from a cash shop. :)
    Octagon7711KyleranYashaXJamesGoblin

Mark Jacobs

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

And I do have a sense of humor and as many of the posters here know, I don't mind a little snark thrown my way, especially when it is really funny! If you can't laugh a little at yourself, especially in my/our situation, then you really need to get a life or at least buy one from a cash shop. :)
    I must say your outlook is refreshing.  So many have little sense of humor and have a melt down when exposed to heat.  Kudos to you sir.  :smile:
    KyleranJamesGoblin

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    bentrim said:
    Soooo many things wrong in just 3 sentences!

1) It's not just "another pvp" game. CU is doing things extremely differently to other PvP-focused MMORPGs. The only similarity is the fact that PvP is it's focus. 

2) 8% - where did you get that figure from? Most games I've seen that release stats on player participation in pvp show 10-20% regular participation. But, that's 10-20% participation in games that are poorly designed for PvP. Additionally, literally every single game I've seen that releases these stats show that PvP has a higher participation rate than endgame raiding. 

3) PvP is huge! PvP is the most popular online activity for gamers across all genres, it is only MMORPGs which suck at delivering a good PvP experience. This means there is a massive opportunity for a developer to do MMORPG PvP "right". Given how different CU is to other MMORPG PvP, it is possible that CU maybe the first to get it right. 

4) You cannot compare CU to any MMO currently on the market, because it's whole ethos and design is vastly different to anything currently available. 
    KyleranMarcus-YashaXJamesGoblinGdemamiNightblazed
  • bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    edited August 2017
    bentrim said:

1) It's not just "another pvp" game. CU is doing things extremely differently to other PvP-focused MMORPGs. The only similarity is the fact that PvP is it's focus. 

2) 8% - where did you get that figure from? Most games I've seen that release stats on player participation in pvp show 10-20% regular participation. But, that's 10-20% participation in games that are poorly designed for PvP. Additionally, literally every single game I've seen that releases these stats show that PvP has a higher participation rate than endgame raiding. 

3) PvP is huge! PvP is the most popular online activity for gamers across all genres, it is only MMORPGs which suck at delivering a good PvP experience. This means there is a massive opportunity for a developer to do MMORPG PvP "right". Given how different CU is to other MMORPG PvP, it is possible that CU maybe the first to get it right. 

4) You cannot compare CU to any MMO currently on the market, because it's whole ethos and design is vastly different to anything currently available. 

The 8-10% is the number of people who "prefer" PVP over PVE. The rest are PVP "participants" forced to in some way or another to be involved in PVP...IE...Black Desert. NOWHERE is the Demo. 20% of all players "PREFERRING" PVP. Hence my point, devs are in a sense making a "PC" (politically correct) game, appeasing the MINORITY, and NOT the MAJORITY. And BTW, PVP IS NOT THE MOST POPULAR ONLINE ACTIVITY FOR MMORPGs!!!!!!!!!!!
    KyleranYashaX
  • SmodenSmoden Member UncommonPosts: 14
    bentrim said:
    bentrim said:

The 8-10% is the number of people who "prefer" PVP over PVE. The rest are PVP "participants" forced to in some way or another to be involved in PVP...IE...Black Desert. NOWHERE is the Demo. 20% of all players "PREFERRING" PVP. Hence my point, devs are in a sense making a "PC" (politically correct) game, appeasing the MINORITY, and NOT the MAJORITY. And BTW, PVP IS NOT THE MOST POPULAR ONLINE ACTIVITY FOR MMORPGs!!!!!!!!!!!

While you may be correct that PvP might not be the most popular online activity in MMORPGs, I believe @cameltosis was saying that "PvP is the most popular online activity for gamers across all genres."  Meaning all games, not just MMORPGs.  For example, Rocket League = PvP.  Many MMO shooters = PvP.  Etc, etc.

Anyways, I'm excited to see what happens with CU!!!
    YashaXJamesGoblin
    "Good game!"
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Kyleran said:
    bentrim said:

;)
    Kyleran said:
    bentrim said:

;)

bentrim said:

Consider some classes on project management...kidding, your team is doing great work over there, looking forward to the finished product.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Wizardry said:
    Most developers are spamming us with advertising,this game i believe would struggle to find much interesting to spam us with.
    I have a gut feeling of about a 1/10 that this turns out to be something remotely exciting.I also believe the ONLY reason it exists is because it used it's OLDER sister game DAOC to market this game which imo is sort of lame.Without the connection to DAOC i do not think this game is even half as popular.
    "something special" i very highly doubt the game has any chance to be special,instead i expect a world and mostly pvp,two aspects that are pretty easy to pull off, albeit not easy to make a great pvp rpg,pretty much impossible as pvp and rpg are imo counter intuitive to each other.

Someone mentioned Crowfall,yep pretty much the same one dimensional game only Crowfall was smart enough to create a cash grab gimmick>>>>castles/plots.

...at this point I have to ask; Are you off your meds? do you realize you make absolutely no sense half the time? In rare moments of lucidity you make a post that has some amount of relevance mixed with a small degree of intelligence, the rest of the time you sound like the homeless drunk behind my local Wallmart. We call him ziplock, because he wears a 1-gallon ziplock bag as a hat.

Honestly.
    KyleranMightyUncleanYashaX

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

edited August 2017

I must say your outlook is refreshing.  So many have little sense of humor and have a melt down when exposed to heat.  Kudos to you sir.  :smile:
    Thanks!
    Smoden said:
    bentrim said:
    bentrim said:

While you may be correct that PvP might not be the most popular online activity in MMORPGs, I believe @cameltosis was saying that "PvP is the most popular online activity for gamers across all genres."  Meaning all games, not just MMORPGs.  For example, Rocket League = PvP.  Many MMO shooters = PvP.  Etc, etc.

Us too. We're all more excited especially after the last 3 weeks.
    Hatefull said:
    Kyleran said:
    bentrim said:

;)
    Kyleran said:
    bentrim said:

;)

bentrim said:

Consider some classes on project management...kidding, your team is doing great work over there, looking forward to the finished product.
    We did schedule a series of them for myself and Andrew! 

But we were late showing up for them, so they kicked us out!!! 

Couldn't resist, it was way too easy. :)
    Post edited by MarkJacobs on
    KyleranHatefullJamesGoblin

Mark Jacobs

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Thanks!
    Smoden said:
    bentrim said:
    bentrim said:
    Its not stalled, just ANOTHER PVP game with a VERY limited audience. Keep making games for that 8% demographic you are targeting devs. Smart...since ALL of the same types of these games are doing SOOOO well

Hatefull said:
    Kyleran said:
    bentrim said:

;)
    Kyleran said:
    bentrim said:

;)

bentrim said:

But we late showing up for them, so they kicked us out!!! 

OK, that settles it, when the MMORPG.com End of Year voting comes around,  I'll still be looking for a "None of the above" button for "Best MMORPG Released in 2017", but I do know who I'm voting for as Best Developer / Studio.

HatefullJamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited August 2017
    Kyleran said:

Thanks!
    Smoden said:
    bentrim said:
    bentrim said:
    Its not stalled, just ANOTHER PVP game with a VERY limited audience. Keep making games for that 8% demographic you are targeting devs. Smart...since ALL of the same types of these games are doing SOOOO well

Hatefull said:
    Kyleran said:
    bentrim said:

;)
    Kyleran said:
    bentrim said:

;)

bentrim said:

But we late showing up for them, so they kicked us out!!! 

OK, that settles it, when the MMORPG.com End of Year voting comes around,  I'll still be looking for a "None of the above" button for "Best MMORPG Released in 2017", but I do know who I'm voting for as Best Developer / Studio.

LOL, thanks! We have to have a sense of humor here at CSE. It's one of the things that we actually talk about with prospective hires. We like to laugh, even at ourselves and nobody, especially me, is immune from being a potential target of opportunity. During one livestream, Michelle cracked wise at me in a way that probably would have gotten a serious reprimand at other studios. I laughed my ass off and thanked her on the stream. Having a talented, funny,and great crew around me is one of the reasons I'm still doing this, even after all these years. I couldn't have lasted another year at EA when we parted company. At CSE, it's an entirely different world.
    KylerancameltosisHatefullJamesGoblinMadFrenchie

Mark Jacobs

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    lol.... a CEO commenting on some random website.... Tells a lot about what to expect. Another indie crap.
    YukmarcTamanouswaynejr2Tuor7KyleranMarcus-General-ZodYashaXHatefullJamesGoblinand 1 other.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    edited August 2017
    lol.... a CEO commenting on some random website.... Tells a lot about what to expect. Another indie crap.
    Mark is a long time supporter of MMORPG.com and helped financially support massivelyop.com through their crowd funding attempt to keep the site alive after AOL restructuring:

http://www.mmorpg.com/news/massivelycom-is-closing-officially-1000033701

Mark Jacobs is a strong supporter of niche gaming and of media covering niche gaming. He is one of the very few developers open to communicating directly to the fans of mmo gaming. He has a history of giving interviews all around the world to independent, fan-based media who are typically completely ignored by large developers.

I am rather stunned over your ignorant comment. Perhaps not so much seeing it comes from a 77 posts person.

As for the game itself, it has never looked more positive and on pace toward a functional beta. Last Friday update got a large smile of optimism from Mark when a question was thrown his way that beta could likely be by end of this year. No official word past the 3 primary core components required to be completed before beta announcement. 3 components mentioned to be very, very near completion.

Oh and to answer why so little is heard by casuals who do not follow CU closely: You don't hear much because Mark has clearly and often stated he will NOT HYPE the game or push for any more funding until a clearly defined and structured beta is underway. He won't sell you plots, buildings, donkeys, towns or pink armor while you wait. CU is nearly only the one exclusion to the crowdfunding exploitation rampant in the industry ... and many of you bitch about this?

BananaSoupmeddyckYashaXHatefullJamesGoblinnurso

You stay sassy!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    edited August 2017
    Tamanous said:
     supporter of niche gaming 
    [mod edit]
    It only clearly states that you do not understand what niche marketing is. AO, EQ, AC and even Wow when it launched was niche gaming. These games launched the industry we know today and we even got to see Wow be shaped into mass market appeal counter to it's very own origins. The same mass market appeal that has white washed consumer culture today with cheaply made products.

[mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
    KyleranMarcus-HatefullGdemami

You stay sassy!

• Twisted77Twisted77 Member UncommonPosts: 89
    MaxBacon said:
    Trees that are slow to grow bear the best fruit
    hmmmmmmmmmmm! Bear fruit \o/

Nuts are a fruit
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    bentrim said:

I have to at least partially agree with the OP.  Making the game pretty much exclusively pvp is IMO a big mistake.  There are many more pve players who also like good pvp in their games than there are pvp players that want a pvp only mmo.  Honestly if I want straight up pvp and nothing else I'd just go play a shooter or moba.  

A good MMO, which isnt something thats been seen in ages now, has both, needs both to really be a virtual world.  We've had games that have both but none that have done both well at the same time imo.  

I am a big PVP fan, but like PVE also.  PVE with PVP spice.  I don't even mind full loot pvp if it is done right.  I think though that people that can handle full loot pvp are few and far between.  IMO a good comprimise would be a good PVE&PVP game with PVP systems like Shadowbane had... Inventory loot only, not equipped gear.  IMO shadowbane could have been one of the most popular games ever (still was for me) if it actually had a decent world, decent graphics, and fewer bugs.  It's too bad the folks at crowfall, some of which came from shadowbane I think, cheaped out with what they have in crowfall.  

As bad as Shadowbanes graphics, and bugs etc were, the world and politics had a life of their own.  Crowfall just seems stale and one dimensional, and IMO CU is headed that way also without more to do than just straight pvp.  Bit of a meandering off topic post I guess but yeah...
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Who gives a fuck if it's exclusive pvp, I'm a PVE fan and look forward to Pantheon which is nearly all pve, so fucking what. 

They got pvp game and we got pve, Wtf is the problem. 
    meddyckYashaX

• DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    Who gives a fuck if it's exclusive pvp, I'm a PVE fan and look forward to Pantheon which is nearly all pve, so fucking what. 

You sound angry. There is no problem, in my case I'm just stating an opinion that I think the market for PVP only is much smaller than if it was properly mixed.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Dvora said:

You sound angry. There is no problem, in my case I'm just stating an opinion that I think the market for PVP only is much smaller than if it was properly mixed.
    Mark would likely agree, but way back at start he said if he got $2M from the KSer he would find the additional funding to build PvP centric MMO and near as I can tell he continues on this path, albeit much more slowly than planned. (For good reason)

Unlike some other games which continue to "beg" for more funding, or hawk virtual wares to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars and a wildly out of control scope, Mark continues to build pretty much the same game promised for the original budget.

While he's never confirmed what the total budget is (my guesstimate is $10M) he did once say it was no where near $20M.

Based on this,  while more PVE would be nice, staying focused on the original vision is the better course.

JamesGoblinMarcus-Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    Dvora said:
    bentrim said:

I have to at least partially agree with the OP.  Making the game pretty much exclusively pvp is IMO a big mistake.  There are many more pve players who also like good pvp in their games than there are pvp players that want a pvp only mmo.  Honestly if I want straight up pvp and nothing else I'd just go play a shooter or moba.  

A good MMO, which isnt something thats been seen in ages now, has both, needs both to really be a virtual world.  We've had games that have both but none that have done both well at the same time imo.  

I am a big PVP fan, but like PVE also.  PVE with PVP spice.  I don't even mind full loot pvp if it is done right.  I think though that people that can handle full loot pvp are few and far between.  IMO a good comprimise would be a good PVE&PVP game with PVP systems like Shadowbane had... Inventory loot only, not equipped gear.  IMO shadowbane could have been one of the most popular games ever (still was for me) if it actually had a decent world, decent graphics, and fewer bugs.  It's too bad the folks at crowfall, some of which came from shadowbane I think, cheaped out with what they have in crowfall.  

As bad as Shadowbanes graphics, and bugs etc were, the world and politics had a life of their own.  Crowfall just seems stale and one dimensional, and IMO CU is headed that way also without more to do than just straight pvp.  Bit of a meandering off topic post I guess but yeah...

Whilst I too enjoy both PvE and PvP and I agree that an awesome MMO would have both (this does have both, it's just PvE is limited to one area, The Depths), ultimately this is an indie game with a small budget so it's not possible. 

But, if you look at the online games market as a whole, and not just MMOs, you can see just how popular pure PvP is. Between shooters and mobas, the market for PvP games is absolutely massive. For a whole variety of reasons, PvP has just never taken off properly within the MMORPG genre. It maybe that there is simply something fundamental that prevents RPG and PvP from coexisting, but I personally think it is just down to the implementation. 

Mark and CSE are taking that gamble - that by drastically changing the mechanics of their MMORPG, they can finally make PvP an exciting and enjoyable activity for us. From longer time to kill, horizontal progression (no power gaps), unique classes, skill being more important than gear, to all the destructible buildings and sieges, Mark is setting up this game to (hopefully) revolutionise MMORPG PvP. 

That said, I do concede your point about the potential to become one dimensional. With crafting being done by dedicated classes, for combat players your choice when logging in is to PvP, gather basic materials, or head to The Depths.....assuming your side has access. 

Now, granted, there will be plenty of options for PvP - do you do organised raiding and attempt some territory control? Do you defend one of your zones? Do you small group roam? Do you solo? My suspicion is that with the focus on skill over gear, combined with the diverse range of classes, you are going to be most effective when playing in a balanced group and that outside of groups, you're probably gonna get your ass kicked. WAR was very much like this at launch - if you couldn't get into a premade for scenarios, or a raid for world pvp, your experience was crap. I do wonder what the game will offer for solo players, or what you'll be able to do if you happen to play outside of peak hours. I'm sure MJ and CSE have already considered these questions, but the answers will likely come out during beta testing when we better understand the gameplay and balance.
    YashaXJamesGoblinGdemami
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited August 2017
    Dvora said:
    bentrim said:

Whilst I too enjoy both PvE and PvP and I agree that an awesome MMO would have both (this does have both, it's just PvE is limited to one area, The Depths), ultimately this is an indie game with a small budget so it's not possible. 

But, if you look at the online games market as a whole, and not just MMOs, you can see just how popular pure PvP is. Between shooters and mobas, the market for PvP games is absolutely massive. For a whole variety of reasons, PvP has just never taken off properly within the MMORPG genre. It maybe that there is simply something fundamental that prevents RPG and PvP from coexisting, but I personally think it is just down to the implementation. 

Mark and CSE are taking that gamble - that by drastically changing the mechanics of their MMORPG, they can finally make PvP an exciting and enjoyable activity for us. From longer time to kill, horizontal progression (no power gaps), unique classes, skill being more important than gear, to all the destructible buildings and sieges, Mark is setting up this game to (hopefully) revolutionise MMORPG PvP. 

That said, I do concede your point about the potential to become one dimensional. With crafting being done by dedicated classes, for combat players your choice when logging in is to PvP, gather basic materials, or head to The Depths.....assuming your side has access. 

Now, granted, there will be plenty of options for PvP - do you do organised raiding and attempt some territory control? Do you defend one of your zones? Do you small group roam? Do you solo? My suspicion is that with the focus on skill over gear, combined with the diverse range of classes, you are going to be most effective when playing in a balanced group and that outside of groups, you're probably gonna get your ass kicked. WAR was very much like this at launch - if you couldn't get into a premade for scenarios, or a raid for world pvp, your experience was crap. I do wonder what the game will offer for solo players, or what you'll be able to do if you happen to play outside of peak hours. I'm sure MJ and CSE have already considered these questions, but the answers will likely come out during beta testing when we better understand the gameplay and balance.
    Its a good point, the single player experience is not stellar in RvR games because they are inherently suited to playing in groups. I don't really see this as a downside though, it just means that making grouping easy /accessible will be key. 
    JamesGoblinGdemami
    I misspoke when I said CU is my last hope for games I've pledged to.  CU is my last PvP MMO hope.  I'm still holding out some hope for Legends of Aria for a good PvE sandbox MMO.
    JamesGoblin