Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game mechanics need to be more dynamic.

2»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    iixviiiix said:
    iixviiiix said:

What do you mean by "just me"? There are 10s of millions playing Overwatch, MOBAs, and games like that. 

Don't tell me you think there are virtual worlds in those games. LoL!
    LOL! , you have understand that virtual wasn't just mean npc runaround chit chat doing silly stuff like you .

well .. in that case, are you saying Overwatch, an instanced shooter, has a virtual world? If so, let's just call it a MMO. Be careful, some here may not like that. 
    Another straw you put ? or you just want to play idiot ? or you try to hide it by mix the concept of persistent world and virtual world ?

That's why i call you strawman , you understand ?

And this is why i call i called him strawman , he try to mix everything , cause confuse and keep repeat it without even think about it .
    wow wow wow ... calm down. The world is not going to end if you call Overwatch a MMO, or not. 
  • TheRealBanangoTheRealBanango Member UncommonPosts: 89
    By Dynamic gameplay I mean gameplay that is constantly changing.

Heres another idea that involves raiding...open world raiding.
    Imagine a volcano raid where you fight fire elementals. The base of the volcano has low level elementals while the top of the volcano has high level ones, with the boss being at the summit. By having a range of levels within the raid, the area itself already becomes dynamic because now there are players of all levels fighting at different stages and altitudes of the volcano. New players can instantly jump in the action at the base of the volcano slaying elementals and doing their part to weaken the boss, while higher level players are working at the harder stuff, or carrying low levels if they are nice enough. So now because all level players an contribute to the raid, social interaction and player grouping become a dynamic within the raid area.

And if you do things like scaling the elementals power in relation to how many people are in the volcano or how many times the elementals have been killed, then you can always come back to the volcano and get something out of it no matter what level. To create constant content within this type of raid idea would require that the volcano resets itself by maybe..idk...erupting once the raid boss is killed, killing any player regardless of level within the volcano. The eruption could cover the volcano in ash, which can be collected for crafting. Once all the ash and volcanic stone is collected, the elementals spawn again, this time a little stronger. The cycle repeats itself. Furthermore, if this volcano is the only location that allows you to mine volcanic stone in all the gameworld, and if that volcanic stone is only available after the eruption which only happens once the raid boss is defeated, then it will create a motivator for all types of players to use this area of the world regardless of level creating a constant ever changing open world raid.

So, again, you've given an example where the gameplay doesn't change - well, it might change marginally if the enemies get harder with more players on the volcano, but only if the combat system has enough depth that getting harder means playing differently. 

If I come to your volcano at lvl 30, I will be able to fight my way up to a certain point, beyond which I can't progress as I'm too low level. If I level an alt and come back at 30, the experience will be exactly the same, the only variation coming from difficulty scaling with number of combatants. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for new ways of designing content. Its just I read a hell of a lot of people requesting that the content become more dynamic, yet very few seem to understand what that means and even fewer can give suggestions of how to achieve it. What is worse is that almost all valid suggestions conflict with a desire to have a strong storyline, something which requires a static world. 
    Right, If the combat system was action based it would be dynamic. Low level elementals could use only melee attacks but higher level ones have more ranged abilities such as shooting out lava or fireballs that one would have to actively dodge or shield.

My point about the dynamics is that the volcano has many uses for players and isn't a static area. In most games once you complete the quests in one area, you almost never come back to it. The content is played through and done. Because the volcano erupts and resets, and also scales mobs, it offers more playability to different types of players. Crafters want to clear content because they want the volcanic stone after the eruption, raiders want the loot dropped from the elemental boss and mobs, pvpers know the volcano to be a hotspot for action (although this might be hard to balance.) 

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707

Imagine a volcano raid where you fight fire elementals. The base of the volcano has low level elementals while the top of the volcano has high level ones, with the boss being at the summit. By having a range of levels within the raid, the area itself already becomes dynamic because now there are players of all levels fighting at different stages and altitudes of the volcano. New players can instantly jump in the action at the base of the volcano slaying elementals and doing their part to weaken the boss, while higher level players are working at the harder stuff, or carrying low levels if they are nice enough. So now because all level players an contribute to the raid, social interaction and player grouping become a dynamic within the raid area.

And if you do things like scaling the elementals power in relation to how many people are in the volcano or how many times the elementals have been killed, then you can always come back to the volcano and get something out of it no matter what level. To create constant content within this type of raid idea would require that the volcano resets itself by maybe..idk...erupting once the raid boss is killed, killing any player regardless of level within the volcano. The eruption could cover the volcano in ash, which can be collected for crafting. Once all the ash and volcanic stone is collected, the elementals spawn again, this time a little stronger. The cycle repeats itself. Furthermore, if this volcano is the only location that allows you to mine volcanic stone in all the gameworld, and if that volcanic stone is only available after the eruption which only happens once the raid boss is defeated, then it will create a motivator for all types of players to use this area of the world regardless of level creating a constant ever changing open world raid.

So, again, you've given an example where the gameplay doesn't change - well, it might change marginally if the enemies get harder with more players on the volcano, but only if the combat system has enough depth that getting harder means playing differently. 

If I come to your volcano at lvl 30, I will be able to fight my way up to a certain point, beyond which I can't progress as I'm too low level. If I level an alt and come back at 30, the experience will be exactly the same, the only variation coming from difficulty scaling with number of combatants. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for new ways of designing content. Its just I read a hell of a lot of people requesting that the content become more dynamic, yet very few seem to understand what that means and even fewer can give suggestions of how to achieve it. What is worse is that almost all valid suggestions conflict with a desire to have a strong storyline, something which requires a static world. 
    Right, If the combat system was action based it would be dynamic. Low level elementals could use only melee attacks but higher level ones have more ranged abilities such as shooting out lava or fireballs that one would have to actively dodge or shield.

My point about the dynamics is that the volcano has many uses for players and isn't a static area. In most games once you complete the quests in one area, you almost never come back to it. The content is played through and done. Because the volcano erupts and resets, and also scales mobs, it offers more playability to different types of players. Crafters want to clear content because they want the volcanic stone after the eruption, raiders want the loot dropped from the elemental boss and mobs, pvpers know the volcano to be a hotspot for action (although this might be hard to balance.) 

You're still not describing dynamic gameplay. You are just describing static content / gameplay that happens to remain relevant at different level ranges. The only part of your example that might be dynamic is the scaling of difficulty based on the number of players on the volcano, but you can only consider that dynamic if the difficulty affects the gameplay. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Actually, you could make a dynamic combat system that isn't action based pretty easily.

If your skills/attacks changes depending what you and any close opponents did last it would be dynamic (TCoS tried something like that but they missed the point and just cycled the same attacks no matter what you did last time).

So you could start out with a careful feint to open up for a nasty attack next, but that nasty attack in turn might make you open for some specific attacks from your opponents. And with multiple opponents you could color code certain attacks to hit one of them that did something that opened them up just ignoring the usual tab target.

It would be dynamic and very tactical without being that complicated when you play.

You're still not describing dynamic gameplay. You are just describing static content / gameplay that happens to remain relevant at different level ranges. The only part of your example that might be dynamic is the scaling of difficulty based on the number of players on the volcano, but you can only consider that dynamic if the difficulty affects the gameplay. 
    Maybe dynamic gameplay isn't the right word. Instead maybe we should use dynamic area/zone. Because the area is dynamic the players experience can be different each time they go back to that area. That gameplay itself might not be dynamic but the zone is because its changing how you engage with it depending on mob difficulty scaling with number of players in the zone or how many times the area has been farmed. 

I think your point on being relevant at different level ranges is important though. If areas of the world can keep relevance for all types of players, the game world feels more alive. 

Loke666 said:

Actually, you could make a dynamic combat system that isn't action based pretty easily.

If your skills/attacks changes depending what you and any close opponents did last it would be dynamic (TCoS tried something like that but they missed the point and just cycled the same attacks no matter what you did last time).

So you could start out with a careful feint to open up for a nasty attack next, but that nasty attack in turn might make you open for some specific attacks from your opponents. And with multiple opponents you could color code certain attacks to hit one of them that did something that opened them up just ignoring the usual tab target.

It would be dynamic and very tactical without being that complicated when you play.
    Tcos is an interesting combat system. The way things are going though, I believe action combat will grow in popularity. A system like Mount and Blade or Chivalry would be amazing in an mmo. Its easy to learn, very simple, and all skill based.
    Maybe dynamic gameplay isn't the right word. Instead maybe we should use dynamic area/zone. Because the area is dynamic the players experience can be different each time they go back to that area. That gameplay itself might not be dynamic but the zone is because its changing how you engage with it depending on mob difficulty scaling with number of players in the zone or how many times the area has been farmed. 

I think your point on being relevant at different level ranges is important though. If areas of the world can keep relevance for all types of players, the game world feels more alive. 
    Scaling is the word you are looking for, scaling zones, you used it yourself :).

A dynamic zone would be a zone that constantly changes with difference each time you enter it. One time the goblins have put up a camp which you and other players tear down, next time something else is different.

GW2 tries to do this but it gets pretty predictable once you spent some time in there. If you could use a AI to change the zone in a myriad of ways it would work better.

As for scaling difficulty you basically really need it because of MMOs huge powergap and fast levelingspeed, if you don't use it any zone below levelcap get pointless after a few hours gameplay. With a low powergap and/or with slow leveling a zone will be useful far longer.

The powergap makes more fun gameplay though since you actually can be in far more zones that way then with slow leveling. Making the zones scaling is not the best solution  since the huge powergap also messes up many other things including PvP but also forces you to constantly change all your gear after a just a few hours gameplay.

Yeah, getting new gear can be fun but it was more fun when good gear below levelcap actually meant something. We spent a lot of work in the old MMOs getting sweet gear, now we really don't care much until you reach max level since it will be pointless soon anyways.
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    For me this urge is filled by, for example, Ark's different dinosaur abilities. Certain dinosaurs harvest better than you, some sense danger, some sense very specific dangers. Quite well rooted in the world AND the gameplay mechanics.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Players want dynamic gameplay! thats it. We are sick and tired of the same old formula being shoved down our throats. Make a game world dynamic and players will be willing to throw a lot of money into it.

In order to make the playing experience more dynamic we have to make things in games mean something again. For example, Classes should mean something more than just what role you have in a raid. Imagine a druid class where you get XP for doing things like actually balancing out nature. You might have a spell that makes a tree grow faster. Or maybe wherever there are druids, plants grow at 10% more speed. The druid HQ would be a lush thick forest, on the flip side, the warlock HQ would be a corrupted land with twisted leaveless trees, because warlocks might have the opposite effect. So the class you pick directly effects how you interact with the game world.

This might even eliminate the need for quest grinding because as long as you can interact with the open world you can gain xp for doing your druid duties and balancing nature. Instead, everywhere you go in the game world is an opportunity to gain points with your class/faction/guild simply by using abilities and interacting with the landscape. Continuing on with the druid/warlock duality, if a warlock finds himself in a lush forest, they may use their corrupt ability to start trying to gain power in that area. The trees start twist and the ground becomes cold unlocking powers for the warlock. The player grows their character, logs back in the next day and finds that a druid has walked by healing all the trees, thus attracting wildlife to the area where the warlock once again starts corrupting/killing the animals, looting their souls, and spawning corrupted, twisted versions of the animals, creating a dynamic cycle of endless fun. 

Now add XP as a currency and it becomes even more dynamic. You as a warlock go around corrupting things, collecting XP, and then spending that XP to unlock more powerful Spells. But because you spent that xp and decreased a few levels you have to corrupt things again, but now you have that new spell which makes it easier and faster, so that way there is always progression.  Its almost like the prestige system in CoD. 

What do you all think? Feel free to post your own ideas on how game mechanics could be made more dynamic, and let me know what you think about my idea too!

Who elected you to speak for the players?
    AmarantharStoneRosesHatefull[Deleted User]
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

No one has to elect me, I'm Banango Rich Druid.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I would like to think most want more immersion and more interaction but i have seen the opposite.I remember 15 or so years ago,wit the Thief combo attack called sneak attack/trick attack.Well so many were confused as to where to stand and how to work the combo effectively so i found a trend towards not wanting thieves or not wanting to do anything other than stand there and spam your solo abilities.

So then over the years i oft wonder why such shallow weak games garner a decent amount of attention.Well everything adds up,a very large portion of gamer's do not want anything tough,thinking and they would rather be given something than have to GAME for it or work for it or compete for it ,just a really large sad sack bunch of gamer's.

I thought no biggie,no decent developer will cater to that crowd but i was wrong,that crowd is very large and devs do cater to them,just look at how every single game is full of hand holding ,treating players like they are 7 years old.

So to say we want dynamic game play is not so accurate,i might be on board but most are not.Geesh think i am lying,why do you think Blizzard and before that Soe were selling max level 90 characters,people don't want to game anymore,it is a very weird crowd of consumers.
    AmarantharHatefullTheRealBanangoVelifax

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:

So then over the years i oft wonder why such shallow weak games garner a decent amount of attention.Well everything adds up,a very large portion of gamer's do not want anything tough,thinking and they would rather be given something than have to GAME for it or work for it or compete for it ,just a really large sad sack bunch of gamer's.

I thought no biggie,no decent developer will cater to that crowd but i was wrong,that crowd is very large and devs do cater to them,just look at how every single game is full of hand holding ,treating players like they are 7 years old.

Wow .. way to be judgmental to what others want as ENTERTAINMENT, as if your preference is superior. 

"work for it" in a game? hahahaha .. don't tell me you think learning how to beat a digital dragon, designed by a dev who ALLOWS you to beat it, is equivalent to real work in the real world.
    Wow .. way to be judgmental to what others want as ENTERTAINMENT, as if your preference is superior. 

"work for it" in a game? hahahaha .. don't tell me you think learning how to beat a digital dragon, designed by a dev who ALLOWS you to beat it, is equivalent to real work in the real world.
    Yes, but buying max level characters and high level gear as people do in many games is a bit odd to me as well. Why would anyone pay to complete the point of the game?

And if a lot of people do that, doesn't it mean that the games really have failed? Gaming should be fun and when people are willing to pay a lot of cash to skip large parts of the game something is wrong in my book.

Also, MMOs difficulty is crap and that is not because I think people prefering it easier then me are below me but because they all have about the same difficulty while not all players want that.

It is suprisingly easy to have 3 serversets: Easy (anyone can easily beat the mobs, less loot), Normal and hard (far harder, more loot). And yes, harder servers should have better loot since risk VS reward is important. And it will encourage people that do fine on an easier serverset to try a bit harder, I think many would enjoy it as long as they get eased into it (I could be wrong and we only get a few oldschoolers on the hard server but it is actually rather easy and cheap to make).

A MMO with 3 different difficulty server would attract more players. Even if the majority prefers easy (it seems that way, or at least do devs think they do) they are missing many players they could get that way.

Finding the right challenge is not about being a snob but to get the maximal fun out of a interesting challenge. And yes, there are some snobs as well.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    iixviiiix said:
    Players want 2 things , sexy graphic and violence to feed they pride , greed , wrath , lust , envy and sloth .
    You can't eat delicious in game so no gluttony here .

They need ranking to fulfill they pride ,
    They need shine loots and big inventory bags to feed they greed
    They need bloody combat to reduce they wrath
    They need sexy models to release they lust
    They need community to burn they envy
    And they need the game simple so they can be sloth .

dynamic can go to trash can , what we need is something to feed our desires
    No DPS Meter?
    Hatefull
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    iixviiiix said:
    Hatefull said:
    iixviiiix said:
    Players want 2 things , sexy graphic and violence to feed they pride , greed , wrath , lust , envy and sloth .

Ummm, you do not speak for the majority, this is your opinion not necessarily shared by all. Keep reading.

iixviiiix said:
    iixviiiix said:
    desires 
    This .. virtual world can also go to the trash can. Ditto for massively multiplayer. 
    dynamic can go , but not virtual world , because virtual world is the holy grail that we search for and even willing sacrifice time , money and even burn the great Nariuss in cross if need .

well .. whether you like it or not, the persistent virtual world is going. Heck, devs don't even make the classical MMORPGs anymore, and even those (like wow) have most of the gameplay in instances.

Sure, you can keep dumping your time & money looking for your holy grail. But for the rest of us, it won't be missed. 
    It just you though , don't throw the "rest of us" in my face . If your number that much then they ready stop call those games MMORPG to fish us and le MOBA for your sake . So basically your number is so small and unprofitable so that they stop making game for you guys . Strawmans on field

You should understand the concept of virtual world first before using your strawman attack , cause when you did it you even deny yourself hard . And search it yourself , don't ask me to teach you cause i don't have too much time to teach the straw .
    Yet it's ok for you to speak for 'everyone'. Lol he never made a strawman argument either, you should look up the definition of 'Strawman' argument before you try to use it, it means setting an argument that you can easily win. Which is hard to do when arguing opinions as we are in this thread. Some might say impossible.

Since you are so knowledgeable on the topic, what, exactly is a virtual world? What do you base your OPINIONS on? 
    I can call "everyone" because if you no need those stuffs then you aren't human anymore , don't tell me you have no pride , being a bot who don't rest , always naked and live alone in cave .
    You understand what i say ?

I dare to "speak for the majority" because of that's what human need .

And that's not my opinions but facts and i willing to throw the facts at you.
    Opinions can be difference and i will laugh it off but facts not .
    No...I do not understand what you are trying to say, and no you have not presented one fact in this entire thread. I suggest you calm down, take a deep breath, and marshall your thoughts before you try and make a point.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Wizardry said:
    I would like to think most want more immersion and more interaction but i have seen the opposite.I remember 15 or so years ago,wit the Thief combo attack called sneak attack/trick attack.Well so many were confused as to where to stand and how to work the combo effectively so i found a trend towards not wanting thieves or not wanting to do anything other than stand there and spam your solo abilities.

So to say we want dynamic game play is not so accurate,i might be on board but most are not.Geesh think i am lying,why do you think Blizzard and before that Soe were selling max level 90 characters,people don't want to game anymore,it is a very weird crowd of consumers.
    I actually agree with everything you say here. I hear it all the time: I want challenging game play, I want better AI, I want harder raids, etc etc, and there are games out there that present these things, and they are ghost towns.

Just my opinion here, but I believe MOST players want instant gratification mixed with enough challenge that they can feel a false sense of accomplishment, while not interrupting their social media regimen. Again, just my opinion.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

iixviiiix said:

No DPS Meter?
    You don't really need a DPS meter but then you hardly need to fuel your game by the 7 deadly sins either.

What players need is a fun game that works both short term and long term.

That is actually pretty hard, old school MMOs worked fine long term but not so good short term. Modern MMOs work fine short term but not long term.
    Loke666 said:

There is no need for the SAME game caters to bother short and long term. Just play a different game. Most player don't play play a single game. 
    Loke666 said:

There is no need for the SAME game caters to bother short and long term. Just play a different game. Most player don't play play a single game. 
    If a game isn't fun short term people wont get stuck to it long term either.

As for games that are fun short term but not long term that works fine for cheaper games but if you put AAA money into a MMO game you need people that stays. 

So I disagree unless we are talking about CORPGs or other cheaper games.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Loke666 said:
    iixviiiix said:

No DPS Meter?
    You don't really need a DPS meter but then you hardly need to fuel your game by the 7 deadly sins either.

That is actually pretty hard, old school MMOs worked fine long term but not so good short term. Modern MMOs work fine short term but not long term.
    I realize that I miss the mark on making you smile! Tough crowd tonight.
    Loke666ConstantineMerus
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
    Loke666 said:

As for games that are fun short term but not long term that works fine for cheaper games but if you put AAA money into a MMO game you need people that stays. 

Not really. You only need the whales to stay. 
    Loke666 said:

Yes, if you go for Pay2win that is true but they still need to have long term fun and it is actually harder to make the game fun and have the whales constantly buying stuff for a long time.

Whales move a lot and to keep a pay2win game fun long term is hard, really hard.

But you maybe have some good idea for just that?
    Loke666 said:

Yes, if you go for Pay2win that is true but they still need to have long term fun and it is actually harder to make the game fun and have the whales constantly buying stuff for a long time.

Whales move a lot and to keep a pay2win game fun long term is hard, really hard.

It does not seem to be that hard for games like LoL, or hearthstone, or overwatch.

Plus, if the whales pay enough, who needs long term? Look at star citizen, whales already chipped in $140M (!!!!!) before they can even play. 
    Loke666 said:

It does not seem to be that hard for games like LoL, or hearthstone, or overwatch.

Plus, if the whales pay enough, who needs long term? Look at star citizen, whales already chipped in $140M (!!!!!) before they can even play. 
    That's not an answer at all. But sure, if you can do like SC it is all fine but I doubt anyone else can do that after the first.

But $140M is peanuts compared to what the top earners make, Wow still make 4 times that cash after all years and Lineage almost 3 times. And that is a year after a long time and a lot of previously earned cash. Games like Blade & Soul earns truckloads of cash (for some mysterious reason).

Now, if SC actually can keep those people playing after launch it could earn a lot more but that means it actually needs to to keep them.
    Loke666 said:

But $140M is peanuts compared to what the top earners make

Not every game can be wow or LoL. Clearly most game don't have anything close to 140M.