Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Portalarium, please don't take elderly people's retirement money from them.

2»

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Saya53 said:
    Why should they give an idiot there money back? They also have 0 legal responsibility to refund that money. It is the customers responsibility to use there brain.

Kumapon[Deleted User]
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Eldurian said:
    Eldurian said:
    Beyond being entirely wrong (The only person I share my home with is my fiance) I don't think thats a great insult to be throwing around when you apparently have nothing better to do than sit there and spout off about a game you don't like. Exactly how much money did you lose to this title to get this riled up about it?

I've never come out swinging against you... if you don't like it that I have an opinion and can actually back up my position with quotes, videos, and you know... facts that support my opinion of things then maybe you should just go do something else.  This thing you have for me, just let it go.

You've gone on record that you're big into RMT.  Let me tell you something man, you're the problem.  You need to move on... get a real job and stop ruining games.

The economic game is actually fun. The rest of the game is solidly average... for a 5-10 year old MMO. RMT didn't ruin SoTA. Lack of content did. RMT is the only thing keeping it floating.
    I think you got it all backwards or desperatly for some odd reason try to defend this abomination of a game.

Why do you make a computer game? Is the reason you want to create a real life money stockmarket or maybe a fun game for all to enjoy?

It seems you like the real life money stockmarket more then the fun game vision.

It is good SotA get shot down all over the internet cause if this business model get to be the leading one in the future then computer gameing will only be for the real life money rich.

Is that what you really want?

Gdemami
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    edited August 2017
    Maybe it's because you misunderstand RMT on the whole; it's clear you misunderstand what RMT is in SotA and why it's so destructive for players that don't understand its impact on the game.

RMT is the basis of the SotA economy.  This is a developed (by design) choice that went into building out the framework of the SotA economy.

What players thought they were buying into with pledges and what misinformed players still invest in is this... (these points I copied off the SotA site directly):

• Selective Multiplayer Modes: You can also play with everyone in a single world with three different online modes (Single Player, Friends Only, and Open).

Selective multiplayer isn't a new thing but in SotA it's being used specifically to give RMT grinders private scenes for grinding.  All modes share a single online economy - you grind in Solo and trade in Multi.

• Player Driven Economy: Deep crafting system where the best items are made by players and player items are the main source of loot found in the game.

This is a fabrication of truth and complete spin for marketing.  The crafting is not deep, it's catastrophic and player items are not the best in the game.  PLAYER ITEMS ARE NOT the main source of loot found in the game either; player items aren't even in the game as loot.

• Player Housing: Non instanced, finite, and embedded in the world with multiple group living options.

Player housing is not finite.  There are hundreds of thousands of available player housing lots.  There are hundreds of thousands of available land plots in SotA and the game has been live for more than a year.  And more land and housing options on the way with Episode 2.  Finite, yeah no... that's a lie.  It's a word used to excite players into believing the cash they spend to buy housing/land deeds are a good investment.

It's important to know the entire picture of SotA before you start making claims about RMT... because you really have no idea what you're talking about, @Eldurian .  In SotA, the economy is artificial.  And RMT is the foundation of the economy - this is not my opinion, this is what the developers say.  Portalarium devs have said that RMT is used to balance the economy and RMT is actively monitored in order balance loot drops in order to achieve target prices.  There are forum posts and videos out there, you're a college kid so I assume you know how to Google.  Google it.

Selective multiplayer is what binds all of the RMT together in SotA, there's even an official policy that points to SPO mode as being designed specifically for RMT grinding.

Player driven economy is a lie - the economy is artificial and drop rates are balanced by RMT buy/sell prices... this has been talked about by the lead dev responsible for the mechanics of the game's economy.

Housing - housing/land is the most significant aspect of revenue for Portalarium.  Housing/land is also one of the largest RMT commodities in the game.  You cannot earn land in game... let me say that again.  YOU CANNOT EARN LAND IN GAME.  Up until persistence (July 28, 2016) land deeds could be purchased in game with gold .  Prior to persistence, land deeds had a tax rate of 1/10 what it is now.  Housing/land is how the hook is set in players.  Housing/land is SotA end game content.  There are no raids... there is no compelling storyline... there are no wars, alliances, politics... there is no world building... there are no resources to fight over.

Players are expected to grind gold in an artificial and highly manipulated RMT economy to obtain land that exists behind a paywall so you can buy/sell decorations is how SotA does RMT... and Portalarium does this with zero liability.  They don't care how RMT is done, and they will not help you or even offer you pointers on safe trading.  They will however advertise that Markee Dragon is an official partner and Trusted Trader - and you can buy gold directly from him.

Yep, you can guy GAME GOLD directly from official Portalarium partners.

RMT in SotA is abusive and players get hurt ... people that don't keep up with development may not see the active manipulation of game mechanics propagated by the developers to drive RMT- it's like watching people sell drugs to children - but with less risk and more payoff.  And for old timers that are still sold on the dream of Lord British, they're compelled to cash in their retirement assets far a chance to ride.  It's disgusting.

Post edited by blorpykins on
    Gdemami
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited August 2017
    It's not that I don't understand, it's that I don't care. The game has turned out to be exactly what I thought it was when I paid into it.

I am currently invested into two different kickstarters. Crowfall for 25$ (50$ for our household) and Star Citizen for a few hundred dollars (But I'm actually in the green over 1000$ if you consider what I have made flipping ships.)

But the thing is, if either of these games is crap. Ok. If either of these games cancels tomorrow. Ok. Kickstarters are a gamble. There was never any guarantee the game would be successful. They never signed a contract saying they would make the game the way you want to make it. And promises they have failed on? Welcome to kickstarters. Every kickstarter promises to be the savior of MMOs / the best game ever made and changes their tune once realities sets in.

Lets just say you got scammed. The game was a straight up scam. Nothing but failed promises etc.

Why are you wasting so much time raging about it? You have been going on about it here (And apparently over there) for weeks. You think SoTA is suddenly going to become the game you want if you rage hard enough? You think you have any legal recourse to get your money back? You think people aren't aware of SoTA's shortcomings?

You lost your bet. At this point you are coming off like someone who puts a few hundred dollars of PLEX in their hold in EVE and then get ganked and rage about it. You did something risky and it didn't pay off. You chose to take that risk. 

Sitting there demanding OTHER people who are SATISFIED with the money they've spent on a game have their money returned to them is straight ridiculous. You've reached the point you are grasping at straws. It's time to move on with your life.
    Gdemami
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    edited August 2017
    Eldurian said:
    It's not that I don't understand, it's that I don't care. ...

I don't follow Crowfall, but I'm into Star Citizen.  Even CIG makes an effort to protect players from RMT scams.   Portalarium adds no value to the MMO landscape, none.  To the contrary, what SotA represents is something more akin to cancer.

Suggesting people are satisfied with the game is absurd, you've already said you don't care.  The real cause for concern is evident when you look at the underlying mechanics and marry them against how Portalarium markets their product.  Then add the community, RMT, and all the policies that are designed to absolve Portalarium of liability and give whales freedom to scam and manipulate as they see fit (and with dev support).

If you don't care, why do you insist on defending RMT?  My sense here is that you're working a meta to deemphasize critical opinions of SotA... and you're just not very good at it.

Post edited by blorpykins on
    GdemamiAron_Swordmaster
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    If this guy thinks this is the best use of his retirement money then more power to him.  In a few years when he is working at Wal-Mart as a greeter he will have plenty of time to reflect on his poor choices.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    I love those posts ! And those defending that game...they really don't realised , what they do to the game by trolling forums who don't agreed with the devs .  :blush:
    Aron_Swordmaster

• Aron_SwordmasterAron_Swordmaster Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Eldurian said:

Sitting there demanding OTHER people who are SATISFIED with the money they've spent on a game have their money returned to them is straight ridiculous. You've reached the point you are grasping at straws. It's time to move on with your life.

Once more, see how quickly the mask drops when even slightly challenged. I don't need to "imagine" anything, once more your behaviour illustrates for itself everything I just said.

Seriously, do you really think anyone sensible is going to read what you just wrote, quite apart from the desperate need to openly state how you use language to try and offend people, and think that's anything even close to the argument anyone else was making? The cheering you hear inside your own head only exists there...  everyone else is saying "Wait, wut? That's not even..."

The hypocrisy of trying to silence OTHER people who were DISSATISFIED with their own spending is hilarious enough; I mean, why don't you move on with your life? You don't care about the game apparently, why do you care if people say it's shite? We know you're only able to fund your life apparently by ripping people off via RMT in games; But do you have to be so insecure about your choice of income raising methods?

However then claiming anyone else says RETURN rather than the thread title which is DONT TAKE is astoundingly stupid. Didn't you claim to be in higher education? I hope you're learning to code better than you can apparently read.

Don't.

Take.

D... O... N...  where is the confusion here?  You can't return something you never took. Do we have to explain basic causality too?

Of course, people with genuine intelligence can then move on to the difference between Satisfaction and Addiction. But you're apparently stuck believing you can just go "Trololo... you said something you didn't, I'll bet you're triggered!"

Shroud of the Avatar's community again, neutral observers. Remember this level of intellect and morality is who you'll have to deal with if ever you want your own home in game.
    Gdemami
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    What are you people on about?  :o

It's SotA guys, hardly anyone gives a damn about the game in the first place.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited August 2017
    I bet a bunch of those community members put retirement money and getting in debt with their credit cards for this game. No serious investors would invest in their seedinvest. Anyone with the slightest bit of sense could see this company  has mismanaged and could close down on any given moment by reading the Seedinvest. Only a few hundred people playing are propping it up right now. They're broke. 

Those few hundred loyals wasting their money cannot keep this game propped up forever. But if they want to waste it that's their right to do so. It's hilariously sad and stupid, especially seeing most of this community is in the 40ish- 60ish age groups and should be better at managing money and saving for retirement, but people can be stupid as this group has shown time and again. It'll be both funny and sad when Portalarium finally closes this game and these people are broke and realize how dumb they were. I won't lie I'll be laughing my ass off too.
    Post edited by Rawyn on
    [Deleted User]