Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D3 or Grim Dawn ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
I'm not really a big fan of arpg's, however I've never really played one.  I always joke around with friends at work that you just spam any ability or circle your self around and blow fire at everything.  I joke that their mindless..... Now this is just a joke.  But is it really true or is their some strategy ? 

Last year I decided to play Blizzards D3 demo, and it was actually fun, but it was also extremely short, too short to decide if I even like arpg's.  Last month I decided to try the same demo, picked a new class and it was Wayyyyy to easy.  This turned me right off, because of this it only had about 1/2 hours worth of content....... What changed ?.... Was it because of the class I picked or is the demo easier ? 

I can't seem to get a very good grip on ARPG or not.  I've watched many Youtubes on both D3 and Grim Dawn.  I tend to like the graphics of D3 better, but the Demo turned me off because of no strategy and easy. 

One last thing, I just watched a Grim Dawn boss fights video and it did show some strategy or at least stay out of range. Not sure if this is stratagy or just the common simple tactic everyone does.

At a higher difficulty level in arpg's, does strategy come into play ?

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited August 2017
    Both have extravagant talent trees, many classes, and in some cases multiple classes in the same character.  But I can't help thinking what's the difference if I play a Warlock and blow fire, or a Gun Slinger and blow bullets ? 

If you have 500 talent points to spend, but they all have the same basic outcome, what's the point ? 
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    Go D3. You can't go wrong with it. 
    psychosiz1Huntrezzfrostymug

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

edited August 2017
    IceAge said:
    Go D3. You can't go wrong with it. 

I'm not a High graphics person, I could normally care less, but D3 does look much better to me because they went with more sharper everything instead of the water color look of GD. 

But still I'm concerned with the easy and simplistic nature of aarp'g.  And the easy difficulty level of D3.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Both are good games. Grim Dawn doesn't have much of an end-game, while D3 does.
    psychosiz1Huntrezzfrostymug
  • SagethornSagethorn Member UncommonPosts: 57
    or play path of exile if your into d3, its free and the classes are a bit more indepth with build options
    TsiyaMyrdynn
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    GrimDawn by far

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ShaiapoufShaiapouf Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Both have their ups and downs. Diablo 3 is on the most casual side. Until you get late into it and start Greater Rift pushing, you're unlikely to be challenged by most anything. However, it has the best end-game of frequent loot drops, no real skill tree lockout, and is very easy to experiment with a lot of different abilities. Its also the best for just randomly doing things, with an adventure mode and randomized 'rifts' that make it the best time waster really.

Grim Dawn is the 'intermediate' game, and the more story focused one. Grim Dawns strengths being the atmosphere and story, with a very lovecraft/dark theme to it. Classes are somewhat 'build a class' by choosing two classes to mix together, which adds a lot more potential builds than Diablo 3, but also more room for messing a build up, though you can respec for a handful of money easy enough. It does most certainly get more difficult than Diablo 3 does, but still generally you can keep going, but isn't as good at infinite repetition as Diablo 3.

The last one you'll hear about is Path of Exile, which is Free to Play...but its pretty terrible on the side of being one to jump in with. Inventory is small, Loot Drops worth using are rare, the skill/passive tree is daunting to say the least, and messing up a build -can- most assuredly make you have to reroll an entire character. Its the most hardcore of the big three, but unless you're looking for jumping in the deep end, or want the really 'old school' experience, I wouldn't recommend PoE as a starting point.

Overall, I'd recommend Grim Dawn probably. Its not as polished as Diablo 3, but its also not quite so...incredibly easy (Until late, late game). Its a good view of what ARPG's typically are like though, and with an expansion on the horizon adding new stuff, its a nice balance of accessibility and challenge. If you're looking for a long term time waster though, Diablo 3 does pull ahead once you get to the end-game with Greater Rift pushing.
    frostymug
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I like and play them both as well as POE , Wolcen and Torchlight 2 ..

D3 is great very straight forward vanilla ARPG ,with the best action

POE is much more build intensive , but a bit more interesting .

Grim Dawn hits a sweet spot right between D3 action and POE depth

Torchlight 2 , is also very straight forward , a bit older but still a heluva lotta fun

Wolcen , which will be as good as any of the previous mentioned games is in EA , altho very playable and very fun
    frostymug
    Cool, all great stuff everyone :)

I may have to go with Grim Dawn, just for the fear of D3 being too easy. E ven if I like D3's graphics better.  The last posted mentioned Wolcen, I checked it our real fast on Youtubes and they say it's alpha and more time is needed.  

But still are any of them tactical, where abilities really count ?... Don't know, never played one.

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    i would start with d3. then do grim dawn when you get bored of d3.  
    frostymug

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    Some people seem to forget the anniversary edition of titan quest exists too. Grim Dawn, Titan Quest, and Torchlight 1/2 are all modablee games (though Torchlight one is more single player only) The mods extend those games massively. 
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Path of Exile.

With new free expansion it beats D3 and anything available 10fold in content, complexity and fun.

There is really no competition

• psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I've played both and they are both good games.  I think d3 will give you more bang for your buck, especially when hit max level, you will have some function of an end game.
    Huntrezzfrostymug
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    I haven't played Grim Dawn yet, but I'd take POE over Grim Dawn any day. 

I always choose ARPGs with dedicated servers so I can play with others and in that category you only have D2, D3, POE and Marvel Heroes.

Anyway to answer the question, D3 probably has better end game and itemization.  It certainly has the most fun combat of any ARPG I've played.
    Huntrezzfrostymug
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited August 2017
    I would go with GD or POE if I were you because of the crazy amount of builds and such.
    This GD or POE.  GD also has quite a few interesting mods to play with.
    [Deleted User]

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    edited August 2017

I always choose ARPGs with dedicated servers so I can play with others and in that category you only have D2, D3, POE and Marvel Heroes.

Anyway to answer the question, D3 probably has better end game and itemization.  It certainly has the most fun combat of any ARPG I've played.
    All ARPG's have the same combat simplistically speaking... They are all click and attack with button spam none really do it "better" or not so perhaps you meant you like the skill system  more? D3 is okay in some regards problem with every game you mentioned is lack of mods and other shit. ARPGs like grim dawn, torchlight 1/2, titan quest anniversary edition (no point getting old version now as this version is updated).

You can play any of those rpgs listed (short of torchlight 1) with your friends too, although if you have weak connections it might be messy. Moddable ARPGs have a much longer shelf life ultimately as you aren't waiting for new content all the time.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    Grim Dawn by far.  D3 has its moments but I would say Grim Dawn has been a blast from the start.  Also Grim Dawn should have it's first real xpac come out later this year.  This has been on of the best Early Access games I have ever owned personally.  The devs listen to the players and are constantly updating and adding things to the game.  Right now it is just figuring out which build you want to go with, just about anything can work as long as you figure out what you want to do.  They will also be adding two more classes to the game with the xpac.  You also can mix match 2 classes to determine what you want or just put everything into one class, but more fun mixing. 

No matter what you choose don't go online looking for builds.  Figure out your own.  In the end that will be a lot more fun than trying to do something that someone else enjoys. 

There are numerous hidden things throughout Grim Dawn, quest that you don't get unless you find them and some easter eggs here or there.  Not really sure there is to much hidden in D3 stopped playing that after all they did was rehash seasons.

Also as a couple others have said you could pick up both.  But if I had to choose one to start it most definitely would be Grim Dawn.  To me it is the best single player ARPG on the market today.  The only game that I could say beats it out is when it comes to multi-player which is POE.
    [Deleted User]
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    edited August 2017

All ARPG's have the same combat simplistically speaking... They are all click and attack with button spam none really do it "better" or not so perhaps you meant you like the skill system  more? D3 is okay in some regards problem with every game you mentioned is lack of mods and other shit. ARPGs like grim dawn, torchlight 1/2, titan quest anniversary edition (no point getting old version now as this version is updated).

You can play any of those rpgs listed (short of torchlight 1) with your friends too, although if you have weak connections it might be messy. Moddable ARPGs have a much longer shelf life ultimately as you aren't waiting for new content all the time.
    D3 is by far the most smooth and fluid with the best animations.  I find it to be the most rewarding in terms of just killing stuff.  Unfortunately, it pales compares to POE in every other category.

I have played Titan Quest and TL1&2 as well as Van Helsing and I don't really care about mods.  They simply aren't for me.  There's a reason why those games don't last long, and it is directly related to the lack of dedicated servers to keep things going and easily offer others to play with up if your buds get bored.

The games without dedicated servers tend to have more limited budgets and commitment from the devs.

• saintriku92saintriku92 Member UncommonPosts: 87
    id say get d3 and download poe for free when u finish gearing your toon in d3/get bored. Switch to POE, but i must say with poe choose your talents wisely because respec points are limited and you can end up ruining your character. My brother made a full glass cannon and couldnt finish the ascendancy labyrinth, were i made a life stealing tankier char and breezed through it. 
    frostymug
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    If you're starting with your first ARPGs in any kind of depth, I would buy D3 and download PoE. Play both. Get a ways into the story with D3. Definitely up the difficulty level once you get some decent drops. Get a play style you like. Play some PoE. Enjoy the more diverse, but also convoluted, talent tree. Build out a character there.

If you find Diablo simplistic, yet PoE is a little too messy, you might like Grim Dawn. Or you might not like ARPGs at all.

As far as end game and longevity, to me D3 rules in the long run. 
    [Deleted User]
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Go with Grim Dawn. You're too cool for a mainstream game like D3.

*goes back to playing D3*
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerus

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

edited August 2017
    I ended up with D3 because of the graphics, that's odd because I never cared about graphics on any game.  I do like its crisp style.

I just hope its not near as easy as the demo, but that was stuck on normal..... hopefully higher levels are good enough for a challenge.  Also many give their opinions and many say Grim Dawn, but I only play games like this for a few weeks.
  • HystericHysteric Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Path of Exile, try it, it's free and I believe the best ARPG out today
    BruceYee[Deleted User]
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    D3 , not even close.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I ended up with D3 because of the graphics, that's odd because I never cared about graphics on any game.  I do like its crisp style.

I just hope its not near as easy as the demo, but that was stuck on normal..... hopefully higher levels are good enough for a challenge.  Also many give their opinions and many say Grim Dawn, but I only play games like this for a few weeks.
    D3 is a fine game , you should have alotta fun with it , and yes it gets much harder , its meant to be easy on Normal ..you should not die ... But you will at higher Toment lvls ..alot >:)
    [Deleted User]