Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is SotA leaving Steam? What would that mean for all the Steam players?

2»

Comments

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    RufusUO said:
    Wizardry said:
    I have a take on the idea of TOO MANY bad reviews>>>>FIX your game...LISTEN to the voices>>>FIX your game,i would think that would be VERY obvious.
    So if their is any truth to SOTA not liking Steam anymore and want to remove themselves from Steam,it would ONLY be for one reason,to hide,escape criticism.
    No Man's Sky is a good example of a game that had a terrible launch but has since made drastic improvements.  The developers are fixing the game and listening to consumers.  Check out the Steam reviews... much different landscape today compared to its launch.
    Watch Dogs had one of the worse launches I've ever seen on Steam along with ESO that also had a bad one.  They are doing ok now as they continued to fix the game.  I for one almost never completely write a game off.  I'll return from time to time to see if they've improved and if so will give them a second or even third chance.  

I think fixing the game and listening to the consumers is the key and not just blaming them.  
    STO also had a horrific launch.  The only thing different is the game is still bad now.
    KyleranSpottyGekkoOctagon7711psychosiz1Huntrezz
  • Aron_SwordmasterAron_Swordmaster Member UncommonPosts: 181
    edited August 2017
    I'm going to defend the "Leaving Steam" idea on one point only... it's possible to maybe get to that understanding because Berek, the Community Moderator, is so HORRIBLE at expressing himself, so riddled with bias and unable to follow complex thoughts, that it's hard to actually work out what he really means in the original post.

Although he's edited it since anyway.

But just so you know, the person who PMd him and got him to make the later edit to the post that lead to this idea, comments on what he said here; long story short he got Berek to clarify they do appreciate communities outside their bubble, including Steam.

And I'll repeat what I say there; they may be greedy, corrupt, biased, pretty nasty... but when it comes to money, they're not stupid. They'd also become an instant media story for trying to pull the product to avoid Steam reviews... remember how Godus becoming Godus Wars or a package with it, thus deleting the reviews for Godus was everywhere when 22Cans tried the same trick?  They must know the same would happen with Shroud, and the current soft treatment by the media would end.
    GdemamiRawyn
  • rune_74rune_74 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    edited August 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    A little more clear? That was intentionally deceptive. You're no better than the project you criticize with your lies and twisting the truth. You deliberately led other people into lies to promote your point and agenda.
    All part of the OPs never ending vendetta against SotA.

My guess is he's in the "Heretic" category.   

(Former supporter, since burned) 

What's the "Heretic" category?
    A non "loyal cult member"

I wonder if they leave steam those of us who have been banished from teh cult will lose access to the game?
    Rawyn
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    rune_74 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    A little more clear? That was intentionally deceptive. You're no better than the project you criticize with your lies and twisting the truth. You deliberately led other people into lies to promote your point and agenda.
    All part of the OPs never ending vendetta against SotA.

My guess is he's in the "Heretic" category.   

(Former supporter, since burned) 

What's the "Heretic" category?
    A non "loyal cult member"

I wonder if they leave steam those of us who have been banished from teh cult will lose access to the game?
    That would be a nifty way to eliminate the dissenters.

It would be nice if they did, however. Then Portalarium would have to release the $45 tied to Steam and allow some of us to sell our entire account.
    Rawyn

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm beginning to think something happened on that space ride... 
    Alien Abduction Experimentation Images  Pictures - Becuo
    PhryKumaponRawyn

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I'm going to defend the "Leaving Steam" idea on one point only... it's possible to maybe get to that understanding because Berek, the Community Moderator, is so HORRIBLE at expressing himself, so riddled with bias and unable to follow complex thoughts, that it's hard to actually work out what he really means in the original post.
    At least he's not as bad as Fire Lotus. She was a nightmare.
    Rawyn

Yes she was....totally modded by emotion based reasons.  It's weird it's like they hired all these old UO fanboys/girls.

Then they fired her without saying anything.
    Rawyn
    rune_74 said:
    Yes she was....totally modded by emotion based reasons.  It's weird it's like they hired all these old UO fanboys/girls.

IIRC, she worked with Garriott on Tabula Rasa. Not sure if they worked together before that.

Did they fire her though? I thought she went over to writing story with Lum.

rune_74 said:

IIRC, she worked with Garriott on Tabula Rasa. Not sure if they worked together before that.

She has been gone since march I think? She did go over to story but then gone.

She was a fangirl from UO first though.

Rawyn
    edited August 2017
    rune_74 said:
    rune_74 said:

She has been gone since march I think? She did go over to story but then gone.

She was a fangirl from UO first though.

Oh yeah, I vaguely remember she originally ran some UO fan site or something.

Do we know she was fired? Maybe she had a moment of clarity and thought, "I better get off this ship before it goes down!" and left Portalarium.

I also noticed that Red Thomas has been silent for quite some time. Wonder what's up with that as well?
    Rawyn

Do we know she was fired? Maybe she had a moment of clarity and thought, "I better get off this ship before it goes down!" and left Portalarium.

I also noticed that Red Thomas has been silent for quite some time. Wonder what's up with that as well?
    Port has been silent on what happened even when asked on the main forums.

Red Thomas most likely stopped getting any incentive to review them.
  • cyclonite51cyclonite51 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    I'm beginning to think something happened on that space ride... 
    Alien Abduction Experimentation Images  Pictures - Becuo

More like:

" Wow, I blew all my money to fly into space, what the hell am I going to do for retirement? "
    Rawyn
  • Aron_SwordmasterAron_Swordmaster Member UncommonPosts: 181
    rune_74 said:

Port has been silent on what happened even when asked on the main forums.

Red Thomas most likely stopped getting any incentive to review them.
    To be fair to Red_Thomas, the last time he commented on Shroud, he expressed his discomfort with Portalarium turning to SeedInvest because he thought it was crossing a line with fundraising he wasn't happy with.  We had a good debate about the issues, and he accepted that there were serious questions about the physical rewards...

... Which is probably why the rewards have slowly seeped into the things the Cult Bubble has been talking about recently. It's a blow that even the staunchest defenders of the game understand has landed, because it's a serious ethical lapse to not declare them on the SeedInvest... or maybe just pure selfish greed has reminded them that hey, you might not get them your goodies you know...

As for FireLotus, as I've mentioned on the Reddit, and for the benefit of everyone else here; having worked in the same industry, FireLotus almost certainly has an NDA which prevents her from talking about the reasons she has left... my contract with EA/Broadsword had a clause that I couldn't even say I'd been employed by them for 3 years after I left. 

I nearly got the sack whilst still in training because one player claimed they knew who the new EM was... As applicants we'd all said we were applying of course, we were friends in game, but fortunately he made the wrong guess as to which it was, and said someone who'd quit the game because he hadn't got the job. But the games industry is so, SO paranoid and insular it thinks someone even knowing you're in the job is a terrible sin.

FireLotus was a public face, so Portalarium can't deny that; but I'd bet any money on the fact her contract gives Portalarium the right to roast her alive if she disparages them after leaving. Anyone who thinks people in the gaming industry are your friends because they make things that you love has never actually met their heroes...
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited August 2017
    I saw this on reddit this morning, these snake oil salesmen that call themselves devs have changed thier early access description lately AGAIN....ROFL. Basically say the game may or may not ever change from what it is today, and don't play it if u're not ok with that and u may want to wait see IF it ever progresses any further. ROFL. They should change the games name to "The trainwreck that won't stop".

https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar/comments/6vy7vg/interestingsteam_early_access_description_change/
    blorpykins
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Tofke said:
    Just to ease peoples mind... I own quite a few games that have been removed from the Steam store.

If SotA (or any other game) would ever be removed, you'd still be able to play, download it, whatever. The only thing that you can't do is buy it directly from Steam or find a store page. So it wouldn't affect players.

I also have a few games Steam no longer carries and can still play them.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Rawyn said:
    I saw this on reddit this morning, these snake oil salesmen that call themselves devs have changed thier early access description lately AGAIN....ROFL. Basically say the game may or may not ever change from what it is today, and don't play it if u're not ok with that and u may want to wait see IF it ever progresses any further. ROFL. They should change the games name to "The trainwreck that won't stop".

https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar/comments/6vy7vg/interestingsteam_early_access_description_change/

Final Wipe was on 28 July 2016.

The game is launched.

The game is a crappy scammy trainwreck with an Early Access label used to dupe people into giving them money for *development*. LOL, all those suckers that just closed out the SeedInvest. HAHAHA - hey everybody, now that the game is GUARANTEED TO NEVER LAUNCH (or maybe it already did, we'll never know!)... Thanks for making them a Publisher.  hahahaha SUCKERS!
    Rawyn
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Rawyn said:

Final Wipe was on 28 July 2016.

The game is launched.

The game is a crappy scammy trainwreck with an Early Access label used to dupe people into giving them money for *development*. LOL, all those suckers that just closed out the SeedInvest. HAHAHA - hey everybody, now that the game is GUARANTEED TO NEVER LAUNCH (or maybe it already did, we'll never know!)... Thanks for making them a Publisher.  hahahaha SUCKERS!
    ROFL the hilarity of stuff that comes out about these jokers is more entertaining than the game. Remember also they said story complete now, but also say oh we gotta go and fix some story and quests and other stuff story related. So not so complete but sorta? How can you say something complete but then also say oh we gotta start working on that? These spindoctors are hilariously bad.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    anyway , i am hide that crapy game in my steam library
    Rawyn
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Steam is a bad place for MMOs in my opinion. The reviews can really kill a game there.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter