Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My experience with the Atlas Rises patch sucks (currently resolved)

GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
edited August 2017 in No Man's Sky
After patching to Atlas Rises 1.3  I got in game.  It sucked.

My home base world used to be a frozen moon with plenty of flora, fauna, resources and various sites to visit.  It had turned into a lifeless barren slightly radioactive wasteland.  Only some resources were available.  No life. No ruins. Nothing.  Every search ended up off planet. 

The patch basically starts you over with home base building.  All of my base was there but the crew was missing.  So I have to go through all of the rigmarole of hiring crew, getting stuff for them to learn some new craft recipes, etc.   No big deal, just tedium.

The worst part is graphically.  Many people with AMD GPUs, including me, logged into a graphics mess.  I logged into a green, yellow, purple and brown muddy mess of a world.  The textures are worse than the lowest game setting.  Everything is muddy and unfocused.   No fidelity, no detail, just lousy.

After looking at what other AMD owners had tried to fix this mess I followed the most recommended fix.  Replace the drivers and delete the shader caches.  I replaced and updated the AMD drivers, deleted the cache and deleted the graphics settings file.  I logged in to the game and it looked great.  Well, as great as a lifeless radioactive wasteland can look anyway.

I quit the game, went to bed, got back up and saw there was a patch.  It fixed some crashes and other non-graphic issues that I hadn't experienced.  I logged in and saw the same fucked up graphics as I had before updating the drivers.  

Right now close to 99% of the recent Steam general forum threads have been moved out of the general NMS forum into their tech support and bug forums.  I'm going to sit it on the shelf for a week and see if anyone comes up with a resolution the their shitty incompatibility with AMD GPUs.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
Post edited by Grunty on

Comments

• GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Sorry you have such problems with AMD.  I've been really having fun with the game recently and I have a GTX 980.   When I quit the game last year, I was fortunate enough to logged out at a nice Gek system and when I returned to the game recently I was happy my system had a fairly decent planet for a starting home base.

Hopefully someone can find a fix for you so you can enjoy it too.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited August 2017
    This is what I've done to resolve my graphics issues with No Man's Sky.

The primary values I changed that corrected the issue for me are "TextureStreamingEx" and "TexturePageSizeKb".  These setting are in the file TkGraphicsSettings.MXML in the NMS Steam directory ...\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\No Man's Sky\Binaries\SETTINGS.

Make any changes manually.  Don't use the in-game graphics option settings.  Any attempt to use the in-game graphics options causes the return of poor graphics on restart. Any use of the in game graphics options page reverts "TextureStreamingEx" value="Off" to the default "Auto" setting. Using the in game graphics options reverts "TexturePageSizeKb" value="2048" to the default "64" setting. This causes the poor graphics to return for me.   These settings are not directly available in within the game graphics options page.

If you delete the TkGraphicsSettings.MXML it will be rebuilt with the default graphics options.

I DO NOT recommend copy & pasting my settings to your system. The following settings work for me:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Data template="TkGraphicsSettings">
    <Property name="Version" value="2" />
    <Property name="FullScreen" value="false" />
    <Property name="Borderless" value="true" />
    <Property name="Monitor" value="0" />
    <Property name="MonitorNames">
    <Property name="MonitorNames_00" value="0|AMD Radeon R9 200 Series|Generic PnP Monitor" />
    <Property name="MonitorNames_01" value="1|AMD Radeon R9 200 Series|Generic PnP Monitor" />
    </Property>
    <Property name="UseScreenResolution" value="true" />
    <Property name="ResolutionWidth" value="1920" />
    <Property name="ResolutionHeight" value="1080" />
    <Property name="VsyncEx" value="On" />
    <Property name="GSync" value="false" />
    <Property name="ShadowDetail" value="Normal" />
    <Property name="TextureDetail" value="Normal" />
    <Property name="GenerationDetail" value="Normal" />
    <Property name="ReflectionsQuality" value="Normal" />
    <Property name="AntiAliasingEx2" value="TAA" />
    <Property name="MotionBlurQuality" value="Off" />
    <Property name="MotionBlurStrength" value="180.000000" />
    <Property name="AnisotropyLevel" value="4" />
    <Property name="FoVOnFoot" value="100.000000" />
    <Property name="FoVInShip" value="100.000000" />
    <Property name="Brightness" value="128" />
    <Property name="MaxframeRate" value="30" />
    <Property name="NumHighThreads" value="1" />
    <Property name="NumLowThreads" value="2" />
    <Property name="TextureStreamingEx" value="Off" />
    <Property name="TexturePageSizeKb" value="2048" />
    <Property name="ShowRequirementsWarnings" value="true" />
    <Property name="RemoveBaseBuildingRestrictions" value="false" />
    <Property name="BaseBuildingLimit" value="2000" />
    <Property name="MouseClickSpeedMultiplier" value="0.500000" />
    <Property name="AmbientOcclusion" value="HBAO" />
    <Property name="UseHDR" value="true" />
    <Property name="UseLightshafts" value="false" />
    </Data>

Patch notes for an experimental release say they have resolved this issue for some AMD users.  At the same time a Hello Games developer is in the Steam forums gathering info and is saying it's AMD's fault.
    Post edited by Grunty on
    [Deleted User]
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    people really need to get off the AMD train.  Every game always has issues with AMD products.
    Maurgrimkb4blumgilbrtsnOctagon7711
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Katilla said:
    people really need to get off the AMD train.  Every game always has issues with AMD products.
    I eventually took the hint and jumped off.  I tried them a couple of times and always had a problem with one program or another. People will have explanations for all of those problems, but with Nvidia, I don't need no stinking explanations.  It works.
    KyleranOctagon7711

I self identify as a monkey.