Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In-Game Footage Shows Treasure Hunting & Roadside Ambushes - Wild West Online Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageIn-Game Footage Shows Treasure Hunting & Roadside Ambushes - Wild West Online Videos - MMORPG.com

PC Gamer has published a brand new game play video for Wild West Online. As the title says, it features treasure hunting and roadside ambushes as well as a fantastic look at the astonishingly gorgeous environments and item details.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I really, really want this to be good. But I am worried about another FFA PVP game. :(
    bartoni33[Deleted User]HengistBitterClingerJoseph_KerrbcbullycheeseheadswingoodOctagon7711

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• GreyhavenGreyhaven Member UncommonPosts: 38
    edited August 2017
    I think they would do much better by adding supernatural elements like Deadlands, and Malifaux. Pirates of the Burning sea went a strictly historical route (except for one lame and esoteric quest line) and it cost them. The vast majority of gamers have some form of current console and PC or not they will just play RDR2.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    The npcs should be getting nervous actions with him running around with his rifle in his hand all the time. For example the guy in the saloon sitting at the table he bought a map from, his rifle barrel was practically in his face.
  • HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

I really, really want this to be good. But I am worried about another FFA PVP game. :(

Absolutely agree.

I really want to like the concept, especially since it's something I've wanted to see for years. (The idea of supernatural elements...that would kill it for me.) The problem is I expect it to devolve into "see someone, shoot someone before they shoot you." It takes me back to UO days, Pre-Trammel. I don't see people wanting to hire guards while they do any non-combat activities, didn't happen then, and I don't see it happening now.

If they can find a way to make it really viable, so it isn't just a FFA PvP game, it's got some real potential. That said, definitely going to reserve judgement until we see an awful lot more.....If you look at the forums over there, the loudest voices are all for FFA, full-loot PvP.
    bcbully
  • JasonosJasonos Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I just hope that current animations are just placeholders...
    Joseph_Kerr
  • FalendorFalendor Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Really want this to be good as well, always thought wild west would be good MMO materiel.
    Any online game without PvP could be done better as a single player game IMO, and its the wild west, this game needs to be PvP first.
    bcbullyHengist
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I just hope they have a solution for all the hacks that plague this game engine. All the other iterations have been hacker invested and when this company mentioned the built in anti-cheat as one of the reasons for using this engine I almost spit my drink out.
    Thomas2006m1tchk
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    hope it's not 100 people servers...
    [Deleted User]
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Asheram said:
    The npcs should be getting nervous actions with him running around with his rifle in his hand all the time. For example the guy in the saloon sitting at the table he bought a map from, his rifle barrel was practically in his face.
    Yeah we all hope for amazing Ai but honestly it is near impossible to give all the npc's realistic personalities.

Gaming in general has become frustrating for me,i figured 30 years ago,,ok just wait,10 more years and great stuff will happen,then ok just wait another 10 years and great stuff...another 10,,,it just seems like gaming is moving at a snails pace.

You see back in EQ1..Ultima days they made the big money,it was a push for the rest of the industry to notice and try to top them to make even more money.

As to the mention of anti cheat,any dev that says they got it under control would of course be lying,unless they plan on monitoring the entire complete game files non stop,which is impossible.This is why i have pretty much given up on any type of pvp,i quit COD because it was unstoppable all the cheating.I would rather see as much scripted PVE content a dev can provide and continue to add more as part of the package.

An example would be to have outlaws with bounties,perhaps several players need to band together to hunt and take them down,perhaps you need to bribe people to find their whereabouts.Perhaps mini games to improve your dexterity,drawing speed,strength in fist fights etc etc.Simply creating a cool western world and adding in pvp is not a good formula for success but i guess all they need to do is make an initial sale then who cares?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Asheram said:

Why build better AI when you have the real thing in people. Build better world systems.
    Hengist
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    I have been hearing both good and bad about this game. Someone said the guy on the dev team is the same one that brought us WarZ. That has me concerned. Otherwise, what I have seen does not look too bad but I need to see a lot more.

Let's party like it is 1863!

Gruug said:

I have been hearing both good and bad about this game. Someone said the guy on the dev team is the same one that brought us WarZ. That has me concerned. Otherwise, what I have seen does not look too bad but I need to see a lot more.

They have addressed it that Sergey Titov doesn't own, or finance it. People are pointing out a lot of similarities though. While I understand why they choose to go with that engine, it makes me question how good the developer team can be, because they had to be aware of the issues that existed with that engine, and chose it anyhow. Maybe they have a relationship as friends, which is why we see some of the similar things, but....

Game has a very interesting premise, personally, I'm keeping an eye on it, because I'd hope for it to be good, but it's definitely got a way to go. Either it will stand on it's own merits, or it wont...

http://massivelyop.com/2017/05/25/wild-west-online-partially-addresses-sergey-titov-rumors/

Falendor said:

Really want this to be good as well, always thought wild west would be good MMO materiel.

Any online game without PvP could be done better as a single player game IMO, and its the wild west, this game needs to be PvP first.

Here's my catch, because I do agree with you.

I think it's a struggle to make it meaningful PvP, that doesn't devolve into FFA PvP where you see someone and start shooting, (I mean I don't see a reason why the game won't end up looking like a version of PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds). Don't get me wrong, I think this is a PvP-centric game, but if you want people doing non-PvP things, I think there has to be more motivation/reward for those things, and/or some bigger penalties/drawbacks for the people who suffer the big reputation penalties.