Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - Hands on With Path of Fire - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    rertez said:

Cazriel said:

A lot of players feel burned by HoT and are cautious about PoF. Previews which are hype-y don't convince people who are "yeah, right" about Anet's changed design for GW2.

The PoF FAQs, however, clearly state that you do not need HoT in order to play PoF, so however much it follows HoT, it apparently isn't enough to require that content.

This makes me think that Anet got it that the community is sour on HoT and may just be kicking it to the curb. This expansion either mends things with players or loses them for good.

I guess ANet's strategy is to sell HoT along with PoF for the extra revenue. Telling the audience that HoT is not required to play PoF is telling that new/returning players don't need to have access to Gliding, Revenant, HoT Elite Specs. I guess HoT raids remain exclusive to HoT too. Sure we need all those features they're just not requirements. In my opinion it is advised to own HoT to fully enjoy PoF regardless of the fact that PoF will be a standalone content package alongside with HoT. I truly hope that ANet are confident in boosting HoT sales by the success of PoF. In that case the new content package should treat us really well right from the start. At least I hope so. The first demo weekend seemed to be very promising for me.
    This actually isn't a new strategy for them either. Consider Factions and Nightfall from Guild Wars 1. Each of these was a standalone campaign. While the Dervish and Paragon (the Nightfall classes) did not gain anything from Factions, Assassins and Ritualists (the Factions classes) had plenty to gain from Nightfall with new elite skills and weapon/armor skins. None of the campaigns were strictly requirements to play and enjoy the game, if you wanted to have access to all of the skills, you really needed all of them.

If anything, Guild Wars 1 might very well have been even more "pay to win" in that. Sure, you won't have access to the Druid if you don't own HoT but do own PoF, for example, but your Soulbeast will be fully unlocked and fully viable. 
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    My thoughts on the demo were that the execution of mounts is probably the best I've ever seen from any game. They need more variety though, lots more. I know they will probably add skins for recolouring and maybe different barding or armor and such.. but it's still only four mounts. Unless the skin variety is pretty impressive there's going to be a lot of people looking the same.

The rest of the demo was just more GW2 which is great if that's what you want. I'm pretty burnt out on it so it wasn't enough to make me want to buy the expansion. I may do if I decide to return to the game later though.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    My thoughts on the demo were that the execution of mounts is probably the best I've ever seen from any game. They need more variety though, lots more. I know they will probably add skins for recolouring and maybe different barding or armor and such.. but it's still only four mounts. Unless the skin variety is pretty impressive there's going to be a lot of people looking the same.

The rest of the demo was just more GW2 which is great if that's what you want. I'm pretty burnt out on it so it wasn't enough to make me want to buy the expansion. I may do if I decide to return to the game later though.
    Mounts are supposed to be fully dyeable with multiple dye channels. I suspect the gemstore mounts will be for more significant aethetic changes (like a Mordrem or Destroyer skin for Raptors, for example) or "horse armor" for mounts. 

Of course, the game has plenty of room for more mount types in the future. The challenge would lie in making future mounts feel significantly different. There are only so many ways that one can jump, glide, or teleport.
  • kalcakalca Member UncommonPosts: 47

Cazriel said:

A lot of players feel burned by HoT and are cautious about PoF. Previews which are hype-y don't convince people who are "yeah, right" about Anet's changed design for GW2.

The PoF FAQs, however, clearly state that you do not need HoT in order to play PoF, so however much it follows HoT, it apparently isn't enough to require that content.

This makes me think that Anet got it that the community is sour on HoT and may just be kicking it to the curb. This expansion either mends things with players or loses them for good.

U know that was always like that so nothing new about you do not need to have/play old one :D
    And yes there are players that don't like HOT but also there are those that love first expansion.
    Same goes for everything u cant please all but u can try to achieve that.
  • gameshogungameshogun Member UncommonPosts: 105
    [quote]The loot system will be getting an overhaul in Path of Fire, with Unidentified Gear dropping from events and chests to replace the current loot of blue and green weapons ... The lack of inventory clutter, the ease of use and the ability to salvage stacks at a time totally eclipsed any problems I saw, and made running around the world ridiculously less stop and start, not having to salvage all every few minutes and sort inventory issues.[/quote]

What do you mean? I don't see the connection with not having inventory clutter with Unidentified Gear dropping instead of the regular items.

Isn't the Unidentified Gear the same as the items we have to identify back in GW1?

(note: Last I played GW2 was Living Story 1 :p )
    edited August 2017

[quote]The loot system will be getting an overhaul in Path of Fire, with Unidentified Gear dropping from events and chests to replace the current loot of blue and green weapons ... The lack of inventory clutter, the ease of use and the ability to salvage stacks at a time totally eclipsed any problems I saw, and made running around the world ridiculously less stop and start, not having to salvage all every few minutes and sort inventory issues.[/quote]

What do you mean? I don't see the connection with not having inventory clutter with Unidentified Gear dropping instead of the regular items.

Isn't the Unidentified Gear the same as the items we have to identify back in GW1?

The unidentified gear stacks. You don't know what it is at all... such as a weapon or some armor. Its just random when you get it IDed.

They are called Piece of Unidentified Gear.

I'd like to know if magic find effects opening them. Saves you having to run around with MF buffs on as much if you only really need it when IDing them.

This hands on doesn't mention the problem that you can't use the salvage all option anymore if you don't want to salvage the unidentified items before IDing them unless you put them in an invisible bag.

Or.. that it costs gold to ID them and find out it's junk, meaning that you could be losing money in the long run by IDing your items. It's a gold sink.. and gold is hard enough to come by in GW2 as it is. Unless they change it, you currently get LESS from the PoF loot. No idea why the writer of this article thinks PoF was rewarding them in terms of loot. Apparently they are aware of the issues but completely skimmed over them in this article.The author seems to think the unidentified gear was only to replace blue and green items.. but you can get skins, rares and exotics AND precursors for legendary weapons from the unIDed loot. SO, by getting these bags instead, you're missing out on your normal loot rolls if you don't ID them... which means it costs money to find out what your loot is now whereas it doesn't in the other areas of the game. There's a ton of examples on reddit that show everyone is generally operating at a loss using the new system.

Plus material crates are a big thing in this expansion, so the value of mats is going to go waaaay down, meaning you get even less value from your loot. That's going to screw up the game's already terrible economy even more and means that people without the expansion are now going to make way less gold from everything they do.

IDing them needs to be free, simple as that.

Mat distribution needs to be in line with the rest of the game otherwise this expansion is not really optional if players want to stay competitive.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    Cazriel
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Inventory space was a huge issue for me in this game so this identify loot thing may be ok. But it will only be ok if you don't lose money identifying your loot. Mobs barely drop cash. I enjoyed the difficulty of the first expansion, but did not enjoy the rewards or the ultra confusing useless map. Im also tiring of massive meta events that I dont understand at all.
    Cazriel

The unidentified gear stacks. You don't know what it is at all... such as a weapon or some armor. Its just random when you get it IDed.

They are called Piece of Unidentified Gear.

I'd like to know if magic find effects opening them. Saves you having to run around with MF buffs on as much if you only really need it when IDing them.

This hands on doesn't mention the problem that you can't use the salvage all option anymore if you don't want to salvage the unidentified items before IDing them unless you put them in an invisible bag.

Or.. that it costs gold to ID them and find out it's junk, meaning that you could be losing money in the long run by IDing your items. It's a gold sink.. and gold is hard enough to come by in GW2 as it is. Unless they change it, you currently get LESS from the PoF loot. No idea why the writer of this article thinks PoF was rewarding them in terms of loot. Apparently they are aware of the issues but completely skimmed over them in this article.The author seems to think the unidentified gear was only to replace blue and green items.. but you can get skins, rares and exotics AND precursors for legendary weapons from the unIDed loot. SO, by getting these bags instead, you're missing out on your normal loot rolls if you don't ID them... which means it costs money to find out what your loot is now whereas it doesn't in the other areas of the game. There's a ton of examples on reddit that show everyone is generally operating at a loss using the new system.

Plus material crates are a big thing in this expansion, so the value of mats is going to go waaaay down, meaning you get even less value from your loot. That's going to screw up the game's already terrible economy even more and means that people without the expansion are now going to make way less gold from everything they do.

IDing them needs to be free, simple as that.

Mat distribution needs to be in line with the rest of the game otherwise this expansion is not really optional if players want to stay competitive.
    Gold is by no means hard to come by in Guild Wars 2. The economy's biggest issue is inflation. Hell, the gem store serves as a direct, measurable metric of the game's economy over the past 5 years and has shown a continued upward trend.

Fact is, liquid gold floods into the economy at a high rate through dailies, fractals, and dungeons. For the average player, even more money can be made off of selling materials on the trading post - and the gold sink off of that trading is the only thing giving the ingame economy some form of stability.  
    Aeander said:
    Snip
    Gold is by no means hard to come by in Guild Wars 2. The economy's biggest issue is inflation. Hell, the gem store serves as a direct, measurable metric of the game's economy over the past 5 years and has shown a continued upward trend.

Fact is, liquid gold floods into the economy at a high rate through dailies, fractals, and dungeons. For the average player, even more money can be made off of selling materials on the trading post - and the gold sink off of that trading is the only thing giving the ingame economy some form of stability.  
    Like all games if you have 5+ hrs a day to spend doing the dailies and all the daily dungeons then sure.. you can get plenty of it. I'm talking in general; for the average player. You have to grind for gold in GW2. You cant just find something valuable and sell it for a nice payout. Chances of finding a drop that sells for 100+ gold is like winning the lottery.

Gold is not easy to get, it's a massive massive grind.
    Cazriel[Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Aeander said:
    Snip

Like all games if you have 5+ hrs a day to spend doing the dailies and all the daily dungeons then sure.. you can get plenty of it. I'm talking in general; for the average player. You have to grind for gold in GW2. You cant just find something valuable and sell it for a nice payout. Chances of finding a drop that sells for 100+ gold is like winning the lottery.

Gold is not easy to get, it's a massive massive grind.
    That seems, to me, to be as much a problem with the itemization and crafting system as it is about the grind rate of gold.

It seems like the system works okay on the base game plus Hot (from my experience leveLing my ele), but if it's a net loss to ID gear, that seems to be a "development oversight" level of off.  That means you're earning the gear through drops, but still "buying it."  Double charged, no bueno.
    Cazriel

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    Yeah brings memories back from GW1, it's good the story chain keeps good, they tied the story of GW1 well on the sequel to what then started to explain with the whole lore on the elder dragons.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

I was really surprised at just how good this was. I wound up so bitterly disappointed with HoT, I didn't expect to enjoy Path of Fire so much. It's hitting all the right notes so far, and has made me excited for GW2 again.

nice,now i am not going to waste my money on Heart of thornes;)
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It is nice to have open areas and not 3 or 4 levels of map with dead-ends to navigate through.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 102
    So I can skip the HoT content and move straight to PoF? I played HoT for awhile but didn't care for it and eventually quit rather than suffer through it.
    So I can skip the HoT content and move straight to PoF? I played HoT for awhile but didn't care for it and eventually quit rather than suffer through it.
    I would say yes.  If you're not interested in Revanent.  The Elites will probably be better because they want people to grind content to get them and not just stay with what they have.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    I would say yes.  If you're not interested in Revanent.  The Elites will probably be better because they want people to grind content to get them and not just stay with what they have.
    I don't think they look better... they look different.

..Cake..

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Certainly, the only useful thing you get from HoT (useful in PoF) is the glider and that is mainly to break your fall if you fall of things. It is possible that the skimmer mount can do that as well but it will be a while before you pick it up.

If you didn't like HoT there is little point in forcing yourself to play it, it will just make the entire game less fun. GW2 is already pretty large and will become larger with PoF, there is plenty of room to pick what you like and skip the rest.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711
  • v_Vev_Ve Member UncommonPosts: 310

They are not better, no matter how much everyone wants them to be. They are, as the one guy said, simply different. I for one am staying as a dps Druid and have no interest in Soulbeast. All three things of a class (Core, HoT ES and PoF ES) are viable for whatever.

Witty & Wicked >:)

v_Ve said:

They are not better, no matter how much everyone wants them to be. They are, as the one guy said, simply different. I for one am staying as a dps Druid and have no interest in Soulbeast. All three things of a class (Core, HoT ES and PoF ES) are viable for whatever.
    Why I used, probably.  Adjustment will also 'probably' be made as usual. 
    MrMelGibson

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I bought HOT and was so utterly disappointed, I don't even think I saw any of the real content at all.

But I am kinda getting anxious about Path. I am glad to hear the game is fun again.