Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadow Of War: microtransactions!

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:

Do I now have to present a complete breakdown of movie costs like I did with games and their inflation correction too to show you you might be wrong?

But fine, I'll play along, digital distribution on games and movies might indeed be the same, I can't deny that. So, not 5 dollars for the retailer but 0,  it is STILL 105 bucks a game and I already gave you some slack with me taking off 31 dollars in the first place just to make a point, lets use that money to take away 7 dollars on returns and 7 dollars for the platform too. 

It is not about being profitable or not, it is about a breakdown of the costs and why companies are looking at different and additional ways of generating revenue. It is not pure greed and yelling at cash shops or in game purchases, that is just a too simplified way to look at it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Try manufacturing on for size if you want to learn about inflationary pressures.

Lets see the margins and the returns. Then we can talk about whether its greed or not.

No no no, this isn't how this works. I use several sources about inflation correction in gaming (IGN), production costs in gaming across the years (Wiki) and a breakdown of costs when it comes to gaming (New York Times) to do my math. I know the calculation is rough and dirty and that is why I use a MASSIVE margin of error to be on the safe side on things.

You can not simply say ' you do not know what you are talking about'  without presenting ANYTHING to counter what I say. So far I have your opinion so if you want me to take you serious I'd like to see some sources, some numbers etc. Saying I am wrong is definitely not enough to counter what I've stated. 

Just to be absolutely clear where I stand, I despise the micro transactions done in this game and will wait for a deep discount, if I'll buy it at all. I HATE P2W items but also don't see them in every single cash shop in every single game. I don't work or think in absolutes and am more then willing to consider the other side of things, which is exactly what I've done.

And just for fun, your movie analogy would be more accurate if you'd look at ticket prices at the cinema and compare those of say 1970 to now, which is 1.55 dollars versus 8.89 dollars. THAT is where they added revenue, so they could keep the other prices lower. Same with music, albums are worth nothing these days so artists have to perform a LOT more then before and merchandise is more important then ever. And just like these forms of entertainment the gaming segment is looking at other ways to ad revenue, be it micro transactions, day one editions, DLC and so on, and so forth.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    And a deck of cards costs two lousy bucks.

Manufacturing a product line with zero inventory and no raw materials certainly does have it's advantages. Must be pretty difficult trying to keep stock on the shelfs. 

I don't begrudge anyone making a good buck and a lot of people work hard and make a great living for themselves and their families, that's great.

But...

There comes a time when we come to a point where we may take something a little too far. 

IMHO
    Ohh I definitely agree with all that. I just don't think things have been taken too far (yet) in general and think I've made a reasonable point as to why. I guess you do feel that way and while I disagree on the whole I actually agree on this specific game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Torval said:
    ...I simply think if he's serious about being taken seriously he'd take a little more professional tack...
    Keep in mind that being too serious about video games is likely to undermine a critic's credibility.

I do get where you're coming from, but I think it's fairly obvious that he's not too focused on being taken seriously. The arguments he offers for his perspectives are, nevertheless, quite strong and persuasive, though you may not be personally persuaded.

Torval said:
    ...And the part about him making money is just to keep it all in perspective. There's nothing wrong with it, but he's there for the money too like all of us.
    Don't you feel like this sort of statement--he's there for the money--is overstated? I mean, don't you think there is a strong possibility that he's there because he enjoys his work, or that he feels that he's doing something important, or that he's compelled to some sort of artistic expression--or all those things together in some measure?

Besides, if it's axiom for all of us, then why even bring it up?
    Gdemamijimmywolf
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    Torval said:
    Moxom914 said:
    i will not only buy the game but spend money on transactions as well. i work hard for my money and spend a lot on games. gamers now are all butthurt pussies. they dont make you spend money so if you dont want to then dont. i apologize if this comment hurt any snowflakes feelings.
    So if someone is not a fool and doesn't throw their money down the drain they're "pussies". That should motivate the rest of the drooling masses with their third grade mentality. Let me guess, you love cheetos too.
    negative sir. they are all butthurt pussies because they have to bitch and whine over how others play. i could care less if you spend money or not. hell you can hack and cheat if you want as long as it doesnt effect me. microtransactions are a way for companies to make more money. so be it. thats life. i have no problem telling anyone i will spend said money if i desire. 

and yes, i LOVE cheetos
    Excession
    Gorwe said:
    Moxom914 said:
    i will not only buy the game but spend money on transactions as well. i work hard for my money and spend a lot on games. gamers now are all butthurt pussies. they dont make you spend money so if you dont want to then dont. i apologize if this comment hurt any snowflakes feelings.
    You sir are a weak willed moron(favorite kind for corporations, mind you). Nobody cares whether you earn 1000$ or 100000$ per month. But if you're not careful, you could spoil it for other people you know? And then, when the shit hits the fan, people like you are the loudest screeching monkeys. "We'll see what happens" -> "NO! Have some common sense and don't invoke doom upon yourself{and us all}?"
    uhhh yeah. ok. i kind of feel special. being able to envoke doom and all.
    Excession
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    So if someone is not a fool...
    In other words, spending money on entertainment/hobby makes one fool... 'third grade mentality' you say?
    It's one thing to spend money to purchase it. It's whole another thing to invite the corp.people for the feast. And the feast being...US. "One does not simply do business with money sharks"
    So here's a thought, what happens if many people buy it but very few buy the micro-transactions? That sends another message doesn't it?
    Hopefully. I just want to earn my stuff within the game, not pay 5$ for it.
    Hey, preaching to the choir here. I'm "hoping" it's just cosmetic stuff or that one can advance without hitting one's head against the war and being "enticed" to pay for xp buffs.
    Hell, I don't want to purchase even cosmetics. What's wrong with earning it? But I feel too old to even mention this...people these days. They just want to purchase, don't want to earn anything.
    Asheram said:
    Participating in the ranked multiplayer attacking other players castles, defending your castle make your commanders and soldiers that die disappear for good even in your single player campaign. So I am betting there are going to be a lot of items and units for use in this mode in the cash shop.
    Honestly, mixing singleplayer and multiplayer elements...doesn't sound exactly promising.
    to be honest, i dont have the time, patience, or energy anymore to "earn" things in video games. i did in my 20's. now i hit my 40's so video games are a time limited luxury. im all but done completely with mmo's for that very reason. to get anything "good", you have to devote a good chunk of life to "earn" it. those days are gone for me. if i can purchase it and enjoy it with the limited time i have, then i will. hate to break it to everyone, but im not alone here.
    Excession
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Moxom914 said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    In other words, spending money on entertainment/hobby makes one fool... 'third grade mentality' you say?
    It's one thing to spend money to purchase it. It's whole another thing to invite the corp.people for the feast. And the feast being...US. "One does not simply do business with money sharks"
    So here's a thought, what happens if many people buy it but very few buy the micro-transactions? That sends another message doesn't it?
    Hey, preaching to the choir here. I'm "hoping" it's just cosmetic stuff or that one can advance without hitting one's head against the war and being "enticed" to pay for xp buffs.
    Hell, I don't want to purchase even cosmetics. What's wrong with earning it? But I feel too old to even mention this...people these days. They just want to purchase, don't want to earn anything.
    Asheram said:
    Participating in the ranked multiplayer attacking other players castles, defending your castle make your commanders and soldiers that die disappear for good even in your single player campaign. So I am betting there are going to be a lot of items and units for use in this mode in the cash shop.
    Honestly, mixing singleplayer and multiplayer elements...doesn't sound exactly promising.
    to be honest, i dont have the time, patience, or energy anymore to "earn" things in video games. i did in my 20's. now i hit my 40's so video games are a time limited luxury. im all but done completely with mmo's for that very reason. to get anything "good", you have to devote a good chunk of life to "earn" it. those days are gone for me. if i can purchase it and enjoy it with the limited time i have, then i will. hate to break it to everyone, but im not alone here.
    Maybe what you want is smaller, shorter games. Seems kind of silly to have developers make big expansive games just to have people want to buy their way around it.

$60 for the full game experience

$60 + microtransactions for the shortened version

Pay more to play less... with a single player game.

Failing to see the logic from the consumer point of view. Having your customer voluntarily pay more to experience less, sounds heavenly from the business side.

Hell... fuck making DLC
    GdemamiIselinjimmywolfTheScavengerYashaX

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    Moxom914 said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    Asheram said:
    Maybe what you want is smaller, shorter games. Seems kind of silly to have developers make big expansive games just to have people want to buy their way around it.

Failing to see the logic from the consumer point of view. Having your customer voluntarily pay more to experience less, sounds heavenly from the business side.

Hell... fuck making DLC
    or maybe just make it where you have both. if you dont want to spend extra money, then dont. if you want to then thats fine too. what should it matter to you if i choose to spend money on something that you can grind for? either way everyone is happy. 
    GdemamiExcession
    Moxom914 said:
    laserit said:
    Moxom914 said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    Asheram said:

Hell... fuck making DLC
    or maybe just make it where you have both. if you dont want to spend extra money, then dont. if you want to then thats fine too. what should it matter to you if i choose to spend money on something that you can grind for? either way everyone is happy. 
    Were talking about a single player game here. Who wants grind in a single player game? I know I don't.  If this type of crap is accepted, developers are just going to add more grind to try to entice me to spend more in the cash shop.

Them now adding this shit into single player games completely proves the slippery slope theory. It only gets progressively worse.

If I'm going to throw my money away, God damn... its going to be on Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll

I know where I'll be blowing my wad ;)

Enjoy your loot crates
    GdemamiTheScavengerYashaXGobstopper3D

laserit said:
    Moxom914 said:
    laserit said:
    Moxom914 said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    Asheram said:

Hell... fuck making DLC
    Were talking about a single player game here. Who wants grind in a single player game? I know I don't.  If this type of crap is accepted, developers are just going to add more grind to try to entice me to spend more in the cash shop.

Them now adding this shit into single player games completely proves the slippery slope theory. It only gets progressively worse.

If I'm going to throw my money away, God damn... its going to be on Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll

Enjoy your loot crates
    well i have the wife for sex. as far as drugs go, no thx. and rock n roll died. its all club mix shit now.

and i do love my loot crates :)
    laseritExcession
    Moxom914 said:
    laserit said:
    Moxom914 said:
    laserit said:
    Moxom914 said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    Asheram said:

Hell... fuck making DLC

Enjoy your loot crates
    well i have the wife for sex. as far as drugs go, no thx. and rock n roll died. its all club mix shit now.

Pssst.... The drugs (Viagra) are for the sex ;)
    Moxom914TheScavenger

laserit said:
    Moxom914 said:
    laserit said:
    Moxom914 said:
    laserit said:
    Moxom914 said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    Asheram said:

Hell... fuck making DLC

Enjoy your loot crates

Pssst.... The drugs (Viagra) are for the sex ;)
    dont need em...............yet
    Excession
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited August 2017
    Give us more money to attain loot that should be in the game anyhow.
    Devs are doing this because they see a lot of suckers out there ,that they know they can do it and get away with it.

Just imagine if we dissect every last piece of loot in our older games and sold it one by one,sickening yes,but this is what they are doing.
    When your business is selling a game,then sell the game,quit the nonsense of selling the game plus plus.
    Geesh why bother creating an entire 1-2 year long expansion for 30-40 dollars when you can micro-transaction a few items for the same price but far less effort.

This sort of stuff really proves how little effort devs want to put out to attain money.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Wizardry said:

Exactly this. With these types of schemes the normal loot drops always get nerfed.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:

Exactly this. With these types of schemes the normal loot drops always get nerfed.
    Dev's and Publishers would never do a dastardly thing like that!

IselinTheScavengerYashaX

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:

Depends on how challenging the game is.

I did a play through of Shadow of Mordor without using any weapon upgrades or investing in abilities (outside of required story skills)  and it was still fairly easy to complete.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    immodium said:
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:

I did a play through of Shadow of Mordor without using any weapon upgrades or investing in abilities (outside of required story skills)  and it was still fairly easy to complete.
    You're talking about something altogether different that would apply to any game. Increasing difficulty for yourself by not using certain things is always an option.

Rare drops are always nice to get in RPGs. Guess what happens when rarity is monetized?
    YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited August 2017
    Iselin said:
    immodium said:
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:

You're talking about something altogether different that would apply to any game. Increasing difficulty for yourself by not using certain things is always an option.

Rare drops are always nice to get in RPGs. Guess what happens when rarity is monetized?
    And lets hope the game is not nigh impossible to complete without cash shop purchasing.

If the game's anything like SoM where loot is unnecessary therefore rendering the cash shop worthless I'm fine with it.

I just don't think it needs defending at this point. I've been playing games with cash shops for 10+ years now. They've always been optional in those games, not needed.

The only time I make purchases is with currency accumulated by playtime/sub.

I'll also not rally against them just because a few people have no self control.
    Post edited by immodium on
    [Deleted User]

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Moxom914 said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    Asheram said:
    I can understand that sentiment for an mmo, which often seem more focused on grind than gameplay, but not when talking about a single player rpg. 

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Microtransactions are here to stay because they pay I'm sorry to say. 

That aside I'm hyped for SoW.  I have to forgive WB their sins because I'm playing Shadow of Mordor now (for the first time - I pick up old games it's a me thing liking the dusty shelf setbacks) and having an insane blast.  This game is a hidden gem.  I had no idea it would be so much fun.  So I have two great games now, SoM and TESO.  It hurts trying to decide which one to play some days.  SoM is suppose to be my backup game for when TESO does maintenance but I keep hearing the theme music play in my head and want to sneak up and kill me some orcs!  Yeah yeah they are called Uruks not orcs. 

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    If it's like Dead Space 3 I can live with it.  After all, I won't buy the boxes.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

That aside I'm hyped for SoW.  I have to forgive WB their sins because I'm playing Shadow of Mordor now (for the first time - I pick up old games it's a me thing liking the dusty shelf setbacks) and having an insane blast.  This game is a hidden gem.  I had no idea it would be so much fun.  So I have two great games now, SoM and TESO.  It hurts trying to decide which one to play some days.  SoM is suppose to be my backup game for when TESO does maintenance but I keep hearing the theme music play in my head and want to sneak up and kill me some orcs!  Yeah yeah they are called Uruks not orcs. 
    Uruks are still orcs.
    edited September 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    Asheram said:

Uruks are still orcs.

In the Black Speech of Mordor, the equivalent was Uruk, as can be seen in Uruk-hai, "Orc-folk"

From the wikipedia, so @Asheram take read there. 

I was just saying Jem didnt need worry about calling uruks orcs.

Post edited by Asheram on
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited September 2017
    Gorwe said:
    What interests me, otoh, is how many of these "microtransactions SUCK" people will buy them. And how many in general. 
    ...one would assume they do not suck if so many people buy them. But who cares about reason, right?
    ConstantineMerus
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited September 2017
    I wonder if the game will have Denuvo.

Game looks interesting but I will not buy any title if its going to have this, I have not gotten any response from them if it has it or not yet although I believe other games have it so I am not going to put my pc at risk.
    Excession
    So I hear there are 2 endings with one of them buried behind an extremely tedious grind (unless you buy stuff). Also hearing the story was bad.

YashaX