Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A solo idea ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
This is not a new idea, but maybe it could be taken to a higher degree.

In many mmo's, when you did solo, their seemed to always be a way to select and separate one of them and dwindle the pack ( back when mmos were harder ).  Maybe every class gets one of these abilities ?..... But you have to be really good to use it, and VERY time consuming to pull this type of stuff off.

With better AI technology it's possible to make it even more tactical. 

For example, as you select a single target, it overhead displays its agro with others around them.  Just think of the fun you can have practicing this solo.  Kind of like a mini game to get your skills better..... This is what I meant in another topic about seemingly low tech but it's really high tech.... It's not a gimmick, but a tactical feature to put an entire new spin on the game.

THIS COULD BE THE SOLO FEATURE so many people are asking for, but not very viable. 

As a side note:
Everquest 2 was a fun game, but not good for this feature.  Often, no matter how much you plan a strategy, they all come at you, with no way of telling.  You only practiced running away !   

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited August 2017
    World of Warcraft.... Every time I played it, around level 16 or so I would look forward to the quest called "WANTED: Murkdeep".  You would have to soften up the pack before fighting him...I always made a point to solo this for practice of my skills, no matter what my class. 

Remember all caster mobs, how they were stubborn on pulling ?... Very few people ever understood how simple it was to bring them around a corner, or into the next room...... So much could have been soloed..... Just time consuming.

Scarlet Monetary was so easy, yet groups made it so hard.  It could actually be soloed at a slightly higher level :)

Post edited by delete5230 on
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    This game doesn't need a special solo feature lol, except that this game is not a solo friendly mmo. If you want an mmo that is solo friendly then play it. 

What next will you asking for, no linked mobs? 

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    This game doesn't need a special solo feature lol, except that this game is not a solo friendly mmo. If you want an mmo that is solo friendly then play it. 

Everything is not viable, but for practice and fun, and with a little better reward.  After all people are asking for at least a LITTLE solo...... Are you asking for zero ?
  • EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 416
    Solo should definatly be a viable option from level 1 to max level. However, the drawback should be crap loot, slower and more time consuming exp, lack of spelldrops etc. There should ALWAYS be a reason to be online. If you remove the ability to solo, the server will be dead during 50% of the day. 
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    edited August 2017

I'm going to sidetrack a bit here.  Your idea about a visual display of agro radius is similar to an idea I had for thief/rogue characters.  When they sneak, they see a detection cone for each npc.  Displayed as a colored cone of light on the ground projecting out from the front of the npc.  When they are sneaking they will be undetected as long as they stay out of those detection cones.

So sneaking around wouldn't just be <go invis and nothing can detect you ever>.  You would have to weave between the detection/agro areas displayed on the ground and then to make it more interesting the npcs should move around some and turn from side to side so that the detection cones the rogue has to slip through will be moving.

Anyway,  I just mentioned it because your idea reminded me of this idea I had for sneaky characters. 

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

I'm going to sidetrack a bit here.  Your idea about a visual display of agro radius is similar to an idea I had for thief/rogue characters.  When they sneak, they see a detection cone for each npc.  Displayed as a colored cone of light on the ground projecting out from the front of the npc.  When they are sneaking they will be undetected as long as they stay out of those detection cones.

So sneaking around wouldn't just be <go invis and nothing can detect you ever>.  You would have to weave between the detection/agro areas displayed on the ground and then to make it more interesting the npcs should move around some and turn from side to side so that the detection cones the rogue has to slip through will be moving.

Anyway,  I just mentioned it because your idea reminded me of this idea I had for sneaky characters. 

While I think that might be a reasonable idea, @Neanderthal, it might also open the developer's eyes to the possibility of telegraphing combat moves.  After all, if they have code to do that already, do you trust any developers not to use it over and over?  I don't.  Telegraphing belongs in action combat, and its not really a good fit there.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Here's a solo idea: if you want to solo, go play literally any other mmorpg.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Dullahan said:
    Here's a solo idea: if you want to solo, go play literally any other mmorpg.
    Now I know you are not from Miami. You used the word literally to mean literally, instead of just something to put in every sentence for emphasis.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Mendel said:

While I think that might be a reasonable idea, @Neanderthal, it might also open the developer's eyes to the possibility of telegraphing combat moves.  After all, if they have code to do that already, do you trust any developers not to use it over and over?  I don't.  Telegraphing belongs in action combat, and its not really a good fit there.

Eh..it was just an idea I had, I'm not obsessed with it or anything.  I doubt if any MMO devs would go to that much trouble just to make the sneak mechanic more interesting anyway.  It's just one of those things I would do if I won the powerball lottery and could make my own game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Everything is not viable, but for practice and fun, and with a little better reward.  After all people are asking for at least a LITTLE solo...... Are you asking for zero ?
    Savage would prefer if everyone had to group up to take a bathroom break.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2017
    I think OP is asking for CC to be more used in mmorpgs? If so, I do agree. I miss CC being NEEEDED not optional. I do think certain classes should be given certain tools in their kit to make solo viable but as a completely last resort. I also believe part structure should be Tank/Heal/Support and not just DPS as third.
  • ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    I'm all in on a group-based game, but I would add this one caveat...and I'm sure it will be the case.  I hope you will be able to at least solo your first few levels.  I think most people want to get the feel of the game and have a chance to get to know some people before they are required to group up.  I think people would probably get discouraged if they have to find a group in order to kill a couple spiders.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Zindaihas said:
    I'm all in on a group-based game, but I would add this one caveat...and I'm sure it will be the case.  I hope you will be able to at least solo your first few levels.  I think most people want to get the feel of the game and have a chance to get to know some people before they are required to group up.  I think people would probably get discouraged if they have to find a group in order to kill a couple spiders.

No one has said you can't literally solo any mob in the game. That why you don't need a special solo skill lol. 

Point is that any  content that lead to proper rewards will need a group. If people don't like that then there are mmo's outside that will give you great loot for doing fuck all.