Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are we fed up with these survival games?

123457»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Torval said:

I participate in things I enjoy and support them with my time and resources.

I don't need to see the results of change. I affect change by presenting a perspective or asking a question. That's all I want to need to do. 
    lol .. you count forum pvp as "affect change"? Don't tell me you think you are changing minds here.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Survival games have become a blend of MMO, RTS, FPS, and RPG. I think there are some great parts, but then I think there are some bad parts. The genre is still pretty young, and I look forward to seeing if they are able to blend those genres together more effectively.
    Golelorn said:
    Survival games have become a blend of MMO, RTS, FPS, and RPG. I think there are some great parts, but then I think there are some bad parts. The genre is still pretty young, and I look forward to seeing if they are able to blend those genres together more effectively.

I don't think it is about the blending but about the specific gameplay hooks. Look at player unknown battleground ... it is not a virtual world per se .. since there is no persist-ency over time. Some of the mechanics (like you have to go towards the center area) has no "lore" justification (in fact, there is no lore) .. but it is fun.

It is a good, and popular game without any MMO and virtual world baggage. 
    Torval said:

I've even affected change in you because you considered my argument serious enough of a threat to your premise that you felt compelled to rebut it. The power of truth compels you! :lol:
    wait .. rebuttal is "change"? Did i change my position? Did the MMO industry change? You have a very trivial, non-consequential definition of "change". But i guess you need to take a win from somewhere.

So you admit no mind is being changed here, and the industry go on as before no matter what you say? I understand. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Torval said:

I've even affected change in you because you considered my argument serious enough of a threat to your premise that you felt compelled to rebut it. The power of truth compels you! :lol:
    wait .. rebuttal is "change"? Did i change my position? Did the MMO industry change? You have a very trivial, non-consequential definition of "change". But i guess you need to take a win from somewhere.

So you admit no mind is being changed here, and the industry go on as before no matter what you say? I understand. 
    Perhaps it is  because you have never changed your mind you believe others to be incapable of doing so?

Torval and I have often been at odds over many topics, but he along with many others have convinced me to reevaluate several of my long held beliefs.

I may not appear to easily agree, but I always consider well thought out arguments.

Heck, I'm even following some of your advice and trying out games outside the MMORPG genre. 

The list is about 30 games long and I'm working through the first one. I've already loaded up 2 more, but still haven't broken through my one game at a time paradigm.

Baby steps...

B)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Perhaps it is  because you have never changed your mind you believe others to be incapable of doing so?

No. It is more like reading here, and no one's mind is really changed. Do you sudden accept the broaden definition of MMO now? Or now you think f2p is great?

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Hell no! I vastly prefer these as a fun sandbox experience over the toxic cesspools that MMO's with similar features always turn out to be. I usually play them with a few friends, or on a server with a ruleset I like. :smiley:

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    If the systems are crude now and see little to no progress in refining them should we continue to encourage that? Should we encourage developers of emerging sub-genres to perpetuate developing crude systems and then letting them languish?
    I don't think we "should" do anything. If a dev produces a game i like, i play it. Otherwise not. There is enough entertainment that i do not feel necessarily to "encourage" anything or letting anything "languish". Plus, i doubt $20 from me makes any difference anyway.
      If ambivalence and fatalism work for you great. It doesn't for me.

Yeah .. they work great regarding to MMO.

On another note, how are you changing the MMO industry lately? Get a dev to make your version of a AAA MMO yet? Get all the players to stop being toxic yet? 

Heck .. are you changing the minds even with the small number of people on this forum yet?

I participate in things I enjoy and support them with my time and resources.

I don't need to see the results of change. I affect change by presenting a perspective or asking a question. That's all I want to need to do.  I've already affected change because no one can read that and not process the quandary. They have a perspective. I have one, or have questioned a perspective. Once read a person has to reconcile that with their own perspective. That's my goal. Critical thinking.

I don't need to control other people. I don't need them to believe what I believe to be validated. I do feel compelled to share my perspective and encourage others to do the same.

In the same way I don't need others to believe in or like the way I game, I'm not responsible for solving the human condition. I may share with people how I think they can find that answer, but I'm not personally responsible for fixing it all myself. I do, however, feel free to say something if I think someone is acting inconsiderate and unkind. I think we all need that sometimes.

So with regards to the topic, yes I think the current system implementations of survival games are crude. They could easily be better, more engaging, and provide better entertainment because the industry has two or three decades of experience and history to draw from. So I would encourage people to consider how the systems could be better and provide that feedback. That was my original point.
    How are they not improving? O.o
    Have you seen the update Conan Exiles is getting this Wednesday? Or how much has been added to 7 Days to Die since those early days? Granted, some of the cheap clones out there are probably a mess, but the big titles have been making some good progress. :D 

Of course it's entirely possible none of their features appeal to you. In which case each to their own and all that! :P

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• MikaelJordanMikaelJordan Member CommonPosts: 20
    I'm pretty much still interested in the survival games. However, what got me bored is they focus too much on the concept that keeps the survival game basic and just goes around the core of "staying survival". I would be much happier in a survival game I can survive and have more things to do like recruiting NPC, that I can feel less lonely and actually it mixes between survival, strategy, and RPG.
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I'd love a Survival MMORPG with a huge open world. I can see the genre evolving in that direction.

Funcom could have a hell of a go at it with the Conan IP
    TheScavengerGolelorn

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee