Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadow Of War: microtransactions!

Comments

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited August 2017
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    So if someone is not a fool...
    In other words, spending money on entertainment/hobby makes one fool... 'third grade mentality' you say?
    It's one thing to spend money to purchase it. It's whole another thing to invite the corp.people for the feast. And the feast being...US. "One does not simply do business with money sharks"
    So here's a thought, what happens if many people buy it but very few buy the micro-transactions? That sends another message doesn't it?
    Hopefully. I just want to earn my stuff within the game, not pay 5$ for it.
    Hey, preaching to the choir here. I'm "hoping" it's just cosmetic stuff or that one can advance without hitting one's head against the war and being "enticed" to pay for xp buffs.
    Its not cosmetic stuff, but I suspect it won't amp up the grind too much (if at all) to incentivize buying from the cash shop (at least in terms of the single player game and for someone not obsessed with getting all the "best" gear/orcs etc). 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    YashaX said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    In other words, spending money on entertainment/hobby makes one fool... 'third grade mentality' you say?
    It's one thing to spend money to purchase it. It's whole another thing to invite the corp.people for the feast. And the feast being...US. "One does not simply do business with money sharks"
    So here's a thought, what happens if many people buy it but very few buy the micro-transactions? That sends another message doesn't it?
    Hey, preaching to the choir here. I'm "hoping" it's just cosmetic stuff or that one can advance without hitting one's head against the war and being "enticed" to pay for xp buffs.
    Its not cosmetic stuff, but I suspect it won't amp up the grind too much (if at all) to incentivize buying from the cash shop (at least in terms of the single player game and for someone not obsessed with getting all the "best" gear/orcs etc). 

The last game had some cosmetic stuff so I wouldn't be surprised if they added it to this game.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Sovrath said:
    YashaX said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:

The last game had some cosmetic stuff so I wouldn't be surprised if they added it to this game.
    Oh I see what you mean, yeah I suppose there will also be cosmetic stuff. I have no particular quams with that sort of thing though.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2017
    Torval said:
    Is this more of you pissing in the wind or do you have a point relevant to the thread? Or are you just trolling and flamebaiting? Is there a point to your posts here?
    'Third grade mentality', seriously...?
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    lahnmir said:
    I hate micro transactions like this, but really, game prices have been the same since at least 1995. Taking inflation into account current day 60 dollar games should cost about 110 right now, which they don't. So while every thing has gotten more expensive, gaming got relatively cheaper over the years, not the costs to make them, just the games.

So where does the money come from? You can't jack up the prices all of a sudden, so you ad other forms of revenue and give players the choice. Just playing devils advocate here but it ain't that weird, we have been spoiled rotten with gaming prices tbh.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Where does the money come from?

• No packaging (which for many products, costs more than the actual product)
    • No physical media.
    • No physical documentation
    • No physical distrubution

Huge cost factors taken out of the equation. 
    GdemamiYashaXalkarionlogPhry

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:
    I hate micro transactions like this, but really, game prices have been the same since at least 1995. Taking inflation into account current day 60 dollar games should cost about 110 right now, which they don't. So while every thing has gotten more expensive, gaming got relatively cheaper over the years, not the costs to make them, just the games.

So where does the money come from? You can't jack up the prices all of a sudden, so you ad other forms of revenue and give players the choice. Just playing devils advocate here but it ain't that weird, we have been spoiled rotten with gaming prices tbh.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

• No physical media.

Are they really huge factors? Digital distribution costs money too and I believe I read somewhere that all the physic stuff is max 2 dollars per product. Besides, all the money saved this way is easily spend on advertisement which has gotten much more prominent and expensive the last few years.

I have a hard time believing this tbh.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SovrathGdemami
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

• No physical media.

Are they really huge factors? Digital distribution costs money too and I believe I read somewhere that all the physic stuff is max 2 dollars per product. Besides, all the money saved this way is easily spend on advertisement which has gotten much more prominent and expensive the last few years.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Digital distribution is nowhere near the production costs for physical media, which has to be outsourced most likely to several different companies, there is the printing requirements for the rules/game information etc. that you get in all Boxed DVD games, there is the cost of actually making the DVD itself, which is also time consuming, especially when you want a few million made, the box has to be made complete with artwork, and thats without any extras to get you to buy the physical box in the first place, such as maps etc. This all costs more, far more than just a paltry $2.00, and then there are assembly costs, shipping costs. There are far more middlemen in the supply chain when it comes to physical media, than there are with digital media, and you still have to shell out $$ for marketing.
    GdemamiGobstopper3D
    lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

• No physical media.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Since Netflix can digitally deliver me and 3 other concurrent users an unlimited amount of shows including 4k for $12 a month, I would believe the cost of digital distribution to be a couple pennies if that. Online retailers like Steam taking there cut is no different than a Brick and Mortar taking their cut, except that I would believe that the cost per unit sold by the Brick and Mortar would be much higher than Steam or similar.

$2 for a DVD and a cover, yeah sure sounds about right. Back in the nineties we had nice 50-100 printed manuals and maps and other goodies in our games. Printing is expensive, always has been.

Anyways, Everything I can find shows very strong growth and increasing revenues. I see no evidence of an industry having a hard time making a profit.

https://newzoo.com/insights/articles/the-global-games-market-will-reach-108-9-billion-in-2017-with-mobile-taking-42/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/246892/value-of-the-video-game-market-in-the-us/

F2P games profit very handsomely with out even charging for the application.

This cash shop crap is just a cheap way to make easy money.
    Gdemami

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    laserit said:

It's weird because cash shops do come in when the game is online, like MMO's and sustains long-term maintenance and development.

A game like this should go with DLC instead, not this. It's weird.
    YashaXExcession
    Phry said:
    lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

• No physical media.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Digital distribution is nowhere near the production costs for physical media, which has to be outsourced most likely to several different companies, there is the printing requirements for the rules/game information etc. that you get in all Boxed DVD games, there is the cost of actually making the DVD itself, which is also time consuming, especially when you want a few million made, the box has to be made complete with artwork, and thats without any extras to get you to buy the physical box in the first place, such as maps etc. This all costs more, far more than just a paltry $2.00, and then there are assembly costs, shipping costs. There are far more middlemen in the supply chain when it comes to physical media, than there are with digital media, and you still have to shell out $$ for marketing.
    It would be interesting to see real numbers on all of that. Not because I don't believe you but because you have peaked my interest. I am going to read up on all of this a bit, curiousity never hurt anyone.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    YashaX

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

laserit said:

Since Netflix can digitally deliver me and 3 other concurrent users an unlimited amount of shows including 4k for $12 a month, I would believe the cost of digital distribution to be a couple pennies if that.
    Whoa, apples to oranges.

You have no idea what the breakdown is or how they come up with that.

Every show costs them "x amount of dollars" to have on their network. They probably require a certain amount of viewers to make each show viable.

My guess (which is only a guess) is that their system allows a lot of people on their network for a very low admission cost with the hope that each show attracts a certain amount of people who then stay subscribed to their network.

It's very possible that there is a critical mass for them where they need x amount of subscribers to make their business viable so they charge a low amount but with the idea that more people will think it's "nothing" and just stay subscribed.

This is not to say that shadow of war needs this extra revenue stream to stay in business. However, I do believe they are taking advantage of this "extra revenue stream" because "investors".

They are trying to capitalize on all aspects of their product as much as possible so that they make as much money as possible.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Torval said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

• No physical media.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Since Netflix can digitally deliver me and 3 other concurrent users an unlimited amount of shows including 4k for $12 a month, I would believe the cost of digital distribution to be a couple pennies if that. Online retailers like Steam taking there cut is no different than a Brick and Mortar taking their cut, except that I would believe that the cost per unit sold by the Brick and Mortar would be much higher than Steam or similar.

$2 for a DVD and a cover, yeah sure sounds about right. Back in the nineties we had nice 50-100 printed manuals and maps and other goodies in our games. Printing is expensive, always has been.

Anyways, Everything I can find shows very strong growth and increasing revenues. I see no evidence of an industry having a hard time making a profit.

https://newzoo.com/insights/articles/the-global-games-market-will-reach-108-9-billion-in-2017-with-mobile-taking-42/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/246892/value-of-the-video-game-market-in-the-us/

https://www.mixonic.com/dvd/

That was the most expensive I could make that package. The default for just dvd 6 pack, printed material, and discs was around $5500.

I can burn through that on AWS in no time. I'm not saying you don't have valid points about manufacturing costs, but the digital world isn't cheap. Visit AWS and configure a high end VM, DB, or some other type of server and look at the costs when you start adding enterprise features. That's why Bezos is the richest guy in the world, or was a week ago.
    Look at your shipping cost.

Your product is now at your door, now you have to get it to your customers, be it store or direct.

How can Netflix digitally distribute so cheaply?

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140218/11532626269/house-cards-4k-will-eat-broadband-caps-like-popcorn-shrimp.shtml

GdemamiYashaX

edited August 2017
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

• No physical media.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

According to an article in the New York Times written by Alex Pham total costs of physical producing, packaging and shipping was roughly 4 dollars a product in 2010, that is ALL the stuff you mentioned ad a huge factor. Lets go inflation crazy and say that would translate to 6 bucks in todays market. So lets detract that from the inflation corrected 110 bucks per game, still a 104 left.

I'll go a bit further. According to the same article a 60 dollar game is split up like this: 

27 dollars for the publisher
    15 to the retailer
    7 on returns (games that don't sell in the store)
    7 for the platform
    4 bucks on everything you mentioned above

Say a digital outlet doesn't ask 15 bucks but only 5, thats a 94 dollar game. There are also no returns so thats a 87 dollar game right there, factoring in all the costs back then versus those made today.

Now, mind you, we have only talked about inflation correction and that leaves an 87 dollar game price. But wait you say, revenue has increased 5 times since then, lots more profit! True, but average costs to make a game have increased 15 times. Now lets keep it simple and divide that 15 times the cost with 5 times the revenue, that is still a factor 3. Looking above at the 27 dollar for the retailer means we have to triple that to get the same result as back in the day. So that 87 dollar game gets another 54 added because the publishers want to be just as greedy as before. And voila, to counter inflation and increased costs your equivalent would be a 141 dollar game.

But I'll be nice and factor in some exaggeration from my side, say 31 dollars. And STILL you are left with a 110 dollar game.

Also, Netflix? Apples and oranges.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Post edited by lahnmir on
    GdemamiYashaX

lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

• No physical media.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

According to an article in the New York Times written by Alex Pham total costs of physical producing, packaging and shipping was roughly 4 dollars a product in 2010, that is ALL the stuff you mentioned ad a huge factor. Lets go inflation crazy and say that would translate to 6 bucks in todays market. So lets detract that from the inflation corrected 110 bucks per game, still a 104 left.

I'll go a bit further. According to the same article a 60 dollar game is split up like this: 

15 to the retailer
    7 for the platform

Say a digital outlet doesn't ask 15 bucks but only 5, thats a 94 dollar game. There are also no returns so thats a 87 dollar game right there, factoring in all the costs back then versus those made today.

Now, mind you, we have only talked about inflation correction and that leaves an 87 dollar game price. But wait you say, revenue has increased 5 times since then, lots more profit! True, but average costs to make a game have increased 15 times. Now lets keep it simple and divide that 15 times the cost with 5 times the revenue, that is still a factor 3. Looking above at the 27 dollar for the retailer means we have to triple that to get the same result as back in the day. So that 87 dollar game gets another 54 added because the publishers want to be just as greedy as before. And voila, to counter inflation and increased costs your equivalent would be a 141 dollar game.

But I'll be nice and factor in some exaggeration from my side, say 31 dollars. And STILL you are left with a 110 dollar game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

A Netflix movie is bytes delivered through the internet to your home. A game is bytes delivered through the internet to your home.

How is it Apples and Oranges? They are both the same thing "digital data"  delivered through the net.

If I buy a digital movie or game for $2-$100 through Apple, Google, Steam, GoG or whoever. I can stream or download the movie or game as many times as I want so I doubt their cost's for digital delivery are even worth mentioning or I would imagine I'd have my number of downloads restricted.

I can buy a physical movie today for cheaper than I could in the 1970's 1980's 1990's and the 2000's

Movies cost a hell of a lot more to make today than they did back then. Plenty of digital artists involved. No RNG loot boxes required.

Overall the Games Industry as well as the Movie Industry are as profitable as they have ever been. And in the digital age they have plenty in common.
    GdemamiTheScavenger

lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

• No physical media.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

15 to the retailer
    7 for the platform

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

A Netflix movie is bytes delivered through the internet to your home. A game is bytes delivered through the internet to your home.

How is it Apples and Oranges? They are both the same thing "digital data"  delivered through the net.

If I buy a digital movie or game for $2-$100 through Apple, Google, Steam, GoG or whoever. I can stream or download the movie or game as many times as I want so I doubt their cost's for digital delivery are even worth mentioning or I would imagine I'd have my number of downloads restricted.

I can buy a physical movie today for cheaper than I could in the 1970's 1980's 1990's and the 2000's

Movies cost a hell of a lot more to make today than they did back then. Plenty of digital artists involved. No RNG loot boxes required.

Overall the Games Industry as well as the Movie Industry are as profitable as they have ever been. And in the digital age they have plenty in common.
    Do I now have to present a complete breakdown of movie costs like I did with games and their inflation correction too to show you you might be wrong?

But fine, I'll play along, digital distribution on games and movies might indeed be the same, I can't deny that. So, not 5 dollars for the retailer but 0,  it is STILL 105 bucks a game and I already gave you some slack with me taking off 31 dollars in the first place just to make a point, lets use that money to take away 7 dollars on returns and 7 dollars for the platform too. 

It is not about being profitable or not, it is about a breakdown of the costs and why companies are looking at different and additional ways of generating revenue. It is not pure greed and yelling at cash shops or in game purchases, that is just a too simplified way to look at it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

• immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    I can't say I'm surprised. Micro-transactions are a AAA gaming standard these days. I sure as hell won't be paying full price for this game.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    edited August 2017
    A good take on this from Jim Fucking Sterling Son.  Best and most accurate line about micro transactions "Invent a problem, sell a solution".

YashaX

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

edited August 2017
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

• No physical media.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

15 to the retailer
    7 for the platform

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Do I now have to present a complete breakdown of movie costs like I did with games and their inflation correction too to show you you might be wrong?

But fine, I'll play along, digital distribution on games and movies might indeed be the same, I can't deny that. So, not 5 dollars for the retailer but 0,  it is STILL 105 bucks a game and I already gave you some slack with me taking off 31 dollars in the first place just to make a point, lets use that money to take away 7 dollars on returns and 7 dollars for the platform too. 

It is not about being profitable or not, it is about a breakdown of the costs and why companies are looking at different and additional ways of generating revenue. It is not pure greed and yelling at cash shops or in game purchases, that is just a too simplified way to look at it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Try manufacturing on for size if you want to learn about inflationary pressures.

Lets see the margins and the returns. Then we can talk about whether its greed or not.

GdemamiTheScavenger

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited August 2017
    Ginaz said:
    A good take on this from Jim Fucking Sterling Son.  Best and most accurate line about micro transactions "Invent a problem, sell a solution".

While I'm a fan of his work (not so much when he started out) and I make a point to watch his show every Monday, I don't always agree with his points. Sometimes and sometimes very much so, but not every time and certainly not with this video.

For instance, I don't agree with his stance about "preying upon" people with gambling tendencies. there are people who are addicted to video games in general. So should no one make video games?

If one has a problem one should get help. Otherwise we are going to have to stop a lot of things that a segment of the population has become obsessed with in an unhealthy manner.

I also don't believe that if someone buys an Orc on the market place that this means that getting one in game through play diminishes normal game play. That's way too simplistic.

as far as "game developers have to make their money back" (which is discussed in this thread) I also think that's too simplistic. Warner Brothers is owned by Time Warner, a publicly traded company. And "yes" their investors want to see top dollar for their investment. That's life. If one doesn't like it then don't buy from publicly traded companies. Buy Indy games, done deal.

So yes, they are going to try to increase their revenue streams. Can this ruin games? Sure, it can. But that's not a given and while I'm not inclined to swallow everything a large corporation says I'm also not inclined to swallow everything that a passionate critic says.

I'll make up my own mind with my own experience. If someone can show how game play will actually be adversely affected with these loot boxes (of which I will not buy "a one") and that the game really is made super grindy then sure I'll listen. But as no one has the game in their hands I'll wait and see what my own experience is.
    [Deleted User]

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Ginaz said:

I'm sure he has some great points, but I can't take seriously getting my news from a clown act or dog and pony show. Edgy angry bombastic is so overdone and tiresome.

To his quote I would change it to, "Invent a problem, sell a solution, and the market youtube revenue being angry about it."

He doesn't solve any problems. He makes money off of pointing them out and then getting the masses to support that through ad clicks and such. They (the youtube personalities) are a part of the problem they complain about.
    Clown or not, and I'm not a fan of his schtick, I'm glad there's someone on YT calling them out on it instead of just the "influencers" the companies promote as just another link in their PR chain.

He may indeed be making a nice living off being the contrary voice but I don't see any non-profit orgs stepping forward to be a solution instead of part of the problem.

Annoying as his style might be I still rather hear what he has to say than the same old shit from the apologists.
    GdemamiYashaXBuccaneer
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited August 2017
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Try manufacturing on for size if you want to learn about inflationary pressures.

Lets see the margins and the returns. Then we can talk about whether its greed or not.

No no no, this isn't how this works. I use several sources about inflation correction in gaming (IGN), production costs in gaming across the years (Wiki) and a breakdown of costs when it comes to gaming (New York Times) to do my math. I know the calculation is rough and dirty and that is why I use a MASSIVE margin of error to be on the safe side on things.

You can not simply say ' you do not know what you are talking about'  without presenting ANYTHING to counter what I say. So far I have your opinion so if you want me to take you serious I'd like to see some sources, some numbers etc. Saying I am wrong is definitely not enough to counter what I've stated. 

Just to be absolutely clear where I stand, I despise the micro transactions done in this game and will wait for a deep discount, if I'll buy it at all. I HATE P2W items but also don't see them in every single cash shop in every single game. I don't work or think in absolutes and am more then willing to consider the other side of things, which is exactly what I've done.

And just for fun, your movie analogy would be more accurate if you'd look at ticket prices at the cinema and compare those of say 1970 to now, which is 1.55 dollars versus 8.89 dollars. THAT is where they added revenue, so they could keep the other prices lower. Same with music, albums are worth nothing these days so artists have to perform a LOT more then before and merchandise is more important then ever. And just like these forms of entertainment the gaming segment is looking at other ways to ad revenue, be it micro transactions, day one editions, DLC and so on, and so forth.

Edit. I see I made a mistake too, I took off 7 dollars in returns twice. That leaves even more margin for errors from my side.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:
    laserit said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

No no no, this isn't how this works. I use several sources about inflation correction in gaming (IGN), production costs in gaming across the years (Wiki) and a breakdown of costs when it comes to gaming (New York Times) to do my math. I know the calculation is rough and dirty and that is why I use a MASSIVE margin of error to be on the safe side on things.

You can not simply say ' you do not know what you are talking about'  without presenting ANYTHING to counter what I say. So far I have your opinion so if you want me to take you serious I'd like to see some sources, some numbers etc. Saying I am wrong is definitely not enough to counter what I've stated. 

Just to be absolutely clear where I stand, I despise the micro transactions done in this game and will wait for a deep discount, if I'll buy it at all. I HATE P2W items but also don't see them in every single cash shop in every single game. I don't work or think in absolutes and am more then willing to consider the other side of things, which is exactly what I've done.

And just for fun, your movie analogy would be more accurate if you'd look at ticket prices at the cinema and compare those of say 1970 to now, which is 1.55 dollars versus 8.89 dollars. THAT is where they added revenue, so they could keep the other prices lower. Same with music, albums are worth nothing these days so artists have to perform a LOT more then before and merchandise is more important then ever. And just like these forms of entertainment the gaming segment is looking at other ways to ad revenue, be it micro transactions, day one editions, DLC and so on, and so forth.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    And a deck of cards costs two lousy bucks.

Manufacturing a product line with zero inventory and no raw materials certainly does have it's advantages. Must be pretty difficult trying to keep stock on the shelfs. 

I don't begrudge anyone making a good buck and a lot of people work hard and make a great living for themselves and their families, that's great.

But...

There comes a time when we come to a point where we may take something a little too far. 

IMHO
    GdemamiTheScavenger