Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alright, Caspian, let's dance

slagathoreslagathore Member UncommonPosts: 31
The ink is barely dry from the dev journal where Caspian doubles their project's timeline and now they announce a "for show" jousting feature that isn't even on the long-ass list of features Caspian said they still have to build.

And now I see on their home page that you can gift Elyria to others?

He complains of how fans are partly to blame for the slipping of the schedule because he's had to spend so much time interacting with them or trying to put out fires (that he usually starts), but he is always on the forums and their Discord bullshitting with people and they can find the time to go to PAX knowing they had already slipped their schedule? 

The guy clearly loves the attention and cash-grabbing more than getting work done. Mismanagement all over the place. No wonder he isn't attracting any talent; they see through his bullshit and don't want their professional names associated with it.

The point to my rant..

On their forums I asked why jousting wasn't on their list of features Caspian listed in the "State of Elyria" dev journal and why they are working on it when they have far more fundamental and important features to get done and the post got removed for "Game Bashing".

I've never bashed the game, but let me show you what bashing really looks like:

@Caspian, you are a great idea guy but you straight up suck balls at running a company. You have over-promised and under-delivered on nearly everything that has come out of your mouth, and the worse part is you always point fingers at someone or something else when it happens. You are the leader of your company, it is your fault when promises are broken no matter where the responsibility lies and when you try to deflect it makes you look weak and desperate to keep an image that you lost a long time ago but fail to see it.

GdemamiAsm0deusEluwienYashaXSlapshot1188XarkoholdenfiveBitterClingerConstantineMeruspantaroand 4 others.

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Jeromy Walsh is well on his way to becoming an industry legend !

He heads a studio with a million dollar plus budget, is giving presentations at GDC and already has everyone calling him "Caspian" !

It's the age of instant celebs, I guess...  :D
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
     you are a great idea guy but you straight up suck balls at running a company. You have over-promised and under-delivered on nearly everything that has come out of your mouth, and the worse part is you always point fingers at someone or something else when it happens. You are the leader of your company, it is your fault when promises are broken no matter where the responsibility lies and when you try to deflect it makes you look weak and desperate to keep an image that you lost a long time ago but fail to see it.

Seems pretty hyperbolic and personal to me. Try posting that on any regular news site about a columnist and see how quickly you get 'moderated'.
    Gdemamiholdenfive
  • EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196
    I have to agree with OP.

CoE cought eye - and piles of money - with a product promise that was already sufficient as it was a year ago. Now it has grown to a pile of extra promises, while the delivery stagnates to ever further in the future. 

This is not the product that I bought and paid for. And yes, its the fault of the management of the company and no one else. 
    Slapshot1188

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

You have over-promised and under-delivered on nearly everything that has come out of your mouth, and the worse part is you always point fingers at someone or something else when it happens. You are the leader of your company, it is your fault when promises are broken no matter where the responsibility lies and when you try to deflect it makes you look weak and desperate to keep an image that you lost a long time ago but fail to see it.

Reading this reminds me so much of a certain other controversial leader, lol.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    YashaX said:

You have over-promised and under-delivered on nearly everything that has come out of your mouth, and the worse part is you always point fingers at someone or something else when it happens. You are the leader of your company, it is your fault when promises are broken no matter where the responsibility lies and when you try to deflect it makes you look weak and desperate to keep an image that you lost a long time ago but fail to see it.

Reading this reminds me so much of a certain other controversial leader, lol.

Richard G, Brad, Smed, Chris R, Mark J, oh just who could you mean? 

B)

BillMurphyAzaron_Nightblade[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusAsm0deusDagon13GeezerGamerWraithonevito11

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Don't you just love it when feature creep is so real that the core of the game isn't even getting attention / its base features added anymore.

I really do not think these guys can pull it off. It shows by adding little things like this instead of focusing 100% on the features and core they already have. Instead they are just jumping all over the place adding little easy things to make it look like stuff is getting done.

Word of advice is to focus on the core features you already have and get that in before adding even more fluff to that long list you already have. Otherwise this game feels like a Greed Monger 3.0 happening all over.
    Pugrocxyzercrime
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Don't you just love it when feature creep is so real that the core of the game isn't even getting attention / its base features added anymore.

I really do not think these guys can pull it off. It shows by adding little things like this instead of focusing 100% on the features and core they already have. Instead they are just jumping all over the place adding little easy things to make it look like stuff is getting done.

Word of advice is to focus on the core features you already have and get that in before adding even more fluff to that long list you already have. Otherwise this game feels like a Greed Monger 3.0 happening all over.
    There is no new fund raising potential with the core: after a while all the pizazz the core once had gets stale. Feature creep brings new and sexy ideas to the games deliberately to hopefully, get the gullible to cough up more cash.
    ConstantineMerus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    The developer's inexperience shows more and more as time goes by.  Don't worry, much more to come as this drags on... and on... and on.

Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    DMKano said:
    This kind of puts players shitting on major studios into perspective - at least they actually deliver games.
    Just 'shitting'? Why stopping there...?
    holdenfive
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    The developer's inexperience shows more and more as time goes by.  Don't worry, much more to come as this drags on... and on... and on.

Lack of experience is a convenient excuse. There are PLENTY of experienced developers who are or have been years behind on their initial crowdfunding estimated release dates. Furthermore, if we were to stack up the experienced devs against the industry noobs, I might actually say that the noobs have actually produced more to this point. There are a lot of MMO projects run by noobs which are further along than even the most hardened industry vet. So let's not go around blowing all these vets and throwing money at them because they did something phenomenal a decade ago. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Ok Kanuk you're right.  Substitute inexprerience with incompetence.  Better?

YashaX

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Ok Kanuk you're right.  Substitute inexprerience with incompetence.  Better?

Nope! If it was that easy, then these experienced devs would look equally incompetent, no? Furthermore, if it was incompetence, then would an experienced dev not look MORE incompetent since they should know better? 

I wish there was a simple solution for you. You seem intent on making this about singulars. The reality is that there is no one thing contributing to the delays on all sides of this complex equation. There's also no measure of what percentage of these delays are based on what particular problem. As I mentioned previously, for all you know, MJ could be a fucking horrible project manager and Caspian could be a great one. What we know is that there were/are seemingly simple things which have caused great delays on both sides. MJ was quoted as saying that beta was NOT months, but WEEKS away. That was a year and a half ago. So what level of incompetence does that take? Similarly, Caspian probably thought that hiring the experts he needed would be quite easy. For whatever reason that process took a year? Again, outwardly, these seem like quite trivial things, but there are likely things going on behind the scenes which we aren't aware of that have complicated things. All it illustrates, really, is how transparency can be a double-edged sword. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

Not at all. If you miss your estimates by so much you either were untruthful or incompetent.  CU doesn't get excused from that.  The difference is that one says(in essence):

Sorry we blew it.  Here's our new plan and I hope you stick around but if you'd like a refund you can have it.

The other says:

Man you guys made me spend so much time answering questions that it's delaying the project. On top of that people just won't signup for my openings because they don't realize how great the company is. Do due to these two reasons we are delaying by a year +.  Oh by the way no you cannot have a refund.

Those explain the difference in reception.  The root cause in both is untruthfulness or incompetence.
    GdemamiYashaX

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Armchair developer calling out someone for incompetence...?
    Slapshot1188slagathoreholdenfiveYashaXStrizzy12
    Not at all. If you miss your estimates by so much you either were untruthful or incompetent.  CU doesn't get excused from that.  The difference is that one says(in essence):

Sorry we blew it.  Here's our new plan and I hope you stick around but if you'd like a refund you can have it.

The other says:

Man you guys made me spend so much time answering questions that it's delaying the project. On top of that people just won't signup for my openings because they don't realize how great the company is. Do due to these two reasons we are delaying by a year +.  Oh by the way no you cannot have a refund.

Those explain the difference in reception.  The root cause in both is untruthfulness or incompetence.

Yup, I agree that it's nice that CU has a refund for those who may want to get one. That's definitely an added benefit. Again, though, saying the root cause is either, or both, of untruthfullness and/or incompetence is believing that you have waaaaaay more insight into the project than what you do. This is one reason transparency doesn't work. 
    Gdemami

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

I have no idea whether the game WILL in fact realise anywhere near what they promise but the basis for most of the harassment on this forum is pretty thin.

Taking much longer to recruit than anticipated has nothing to do with their competency to produce a game. This seems a trivial concern and goes a long way to account for most of the delay.

As for the dealing with the community, I think the point here is that the responsibility has taken more time than they anticipated rather than Caspian being resentful of it. What probably has cost the most time is the deliberate spread of misinformation. Take this harping about a 'rude post', I suspect that it was directly aimed at people that bombard forums with misinformation and deliberately over dramatized issues. He probably shouldn't have posted that but it isn't proof of anything other than he got annoyed by what are essentially trolls.
    GdemamiholdenfiveSlapshot1188Asm0deusYashaX
  • holdenfiveholdenfive Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Caspian was here on the MMORPG forums being a dick when this thing was just in concept phase. For all intents and purposes, it's still in concept phase or pre pre pre pre alpha. I said from the start the guy was a show pony and he's done absolutely nothing since then to diminish my initial appraisal of his worth and general persona. I don't even follow this 'development' anymore but still everytime I turn around this guy is acting like a baboon. Get a t shirt that fits you right, learn a little bit of diplomacy and maybe focus on delivering on a fraction of what you've said you can. Thus far all his done is be a mouthpiece on the forms, and that's all he ever was to start with. How old is this guy, mid 40's? lol Yeah I'm sure he's gonna grow the fuck up any day now. 
    Slapshot1188craftseekerAsm0deuspantaroYashaX
    I have a feeling he was merely responding in kind. Kind of hard to take that as a valid base for criticism given this forum's reputation.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Iselin said:

There is no new fund raising potential with the core: after a while all the pizazz the core once had gets stale. Feature creep brings new and sexy ideas to the games deliberately to hopefully, get the gullible to cough up more cash.
    Then it launches with the majority of their key buys already owning it.  Sell while developing. . ship when the money runs out. . . dead in the water.  Not saying this is true of this product but I have seen it too many times to think it is not a possibility.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

I have a feeling he was merely responding in kind. Kind of hard to take that as a valid base for criticism given this forum's reputation.
    Except he also belittled folks in his own forums for daring to question his timeline.  Links and quotes are readily available. So let's not blame the forum for him acting like an ass.
    GdemamiAsm0deusYashaXmystichaze

Aethaeryn said:
    Iselin said:

Then it launches with the majority of their key buys already owning it.  Sell while developing. . ship when the money runs out. . . dead in the water.  Not saying this is true of this product but I have seen it too many times to think it is not a possibility.
    That's always been a main issue with this concept.  Your biggest supporters not only already paid for the game,  but also for years and years of "sparks".  It's not unique to COE but it's a really big issue they will face.   
    Gdemami

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

This is pretty much the reason why traditionally MMOs have publishers to keep devs on track. Without someone to tell them "No, you have a deadline to focus on instead of getting sidetracked" they are all over the place. :P
    YashaX

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    They really should hire a 'fire putter outer', I mean 'spin doctor', I mean a 'community relations manager'.  He's clearly over his head.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

This is pretty much the reason why traditionally MMOs have publishers to keep devs on track. Without someone to tell them "No, you have a deadline to focus on instead of getting sidetracked" they are all over the place. :P
    What?  I can't come up with a great idea while drinking my beers at the local bar with the buds, drop everything and work on that instead?  :-(

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited August 2017
    Except he also belittled folks in his own forums for daring to question his timeline.  Links and quotes are readily available. So let's not blame the forum for him acting like an ass.
    I doubt he responded like that to normal commentary. Nothing stops trolls posting on the game forum after all. I am pretty sure it was the standard forum warrior vitriol and other asinine comments that caused that sort of response. I agree he should not have responded but the fact that he did is no reflection on the developers intentions or capability. All it shows it is this is an owner-operation who is putting his heart-and-soul into it, not a development team working for a publishing house, and attacks that threatens its success, especially ones they see as baseless hit a nerve.

After all it is entirely possible for people to post that they think the timeline, for example, is unrealistic but inevitably they go over the top and start insinuating and speculating that it is a scam, that the devs are failing and know it and are somehow trying to cheat everyone. All of which is just baseless slander from people who have nothing to lose. The developer has everything to lose. So if there was a rude response at some point, most well adjusted people could understand that.

The amount of posts that some people spend to attack the game goes to show that they do it maliciously, not just as some 'honest' commentary.
    GdemamiKyleranSlapshot1188Asm0deusYashaXvito11