Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Novaquark Pulls in $3.7M Ahead of Alpha Launch - Dual Universe - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageNovaquark Pulls in $3.7M Ahead of Alpha Launch - Dual Universe - MMORPG.com

Dual Universe News - Novaquark has announced that it has pulled in private investment funds in the amount of $3.7M that brings the total amount generated to develop Dual Universe to $7.4M. This is great news for the company as it proceeds in development ahead of a Q4 2017 alpha launch.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Given the current trends in indie funding, I have to ask what $3.7M get's you in DU ? Your own planet ? :D

Every little bit helps, I suppose, so it's encouraging to see that someone had enough faith in the DU team to make such an investment. Perhaps I should upgrade my pledge too...
    [Deleted User]
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766

Given the current trends in indie funding, I have to ask what $3.7M get's you in DU ? Your own planet ? :D

Every little bit helps, I suppose, so it's encouraging to see that someone had enough faith in the DU team to make such an investment. Perhaps I should upgrade my pledge too...

Yeah 3.7m doesn't get you much, especially for the MMO reality, but it should boost them up being them a small team.

But I think this is investors interested in their engine technology
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    TimEisen said:
    DU keeps quietly chugging along. I find their lack of drama refreshing.
    Me too! They go full speed but don't make big waves, working very efficiently, posting a big update per month showing huge progress. It's less exciting to follow a project like this imo because it's less of a "show" than what we've got used to with open-development, but I think it's the way to go to get a good crowdfunded MMO.
    [Deleted User]
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    "The company aims at creating a new form of entertainment, where participants are free to create their own stories and environment."

Nothing new, Second Life does this. Though this seems a lot cooler than SL.
    Phaserlight
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• xxBoneZxxxxBoneZxx Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Still excited to play this. Waiting patiently.....
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    At the moment it's in the 'anticipation' phase, which is largely vaporous hopes built on marketing promise-ware.
    (Promise-ware: a bit like software only it has a habit of breaking down even before the power switch is turned on.)
    Show me the money - well there it is. Now show me a long term game, not a six month closed/open beta then the game disappears with the all too familiar "unfortunately we have had to take the decision that the game is no longer sustainable" - "but thanks for all your money".
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

MaxBacon said:

Yeah 3.7m doesn't get you much

Yes it does! A ship !!

Ship Skill : Vanish all your income without traces. You can cast this skill again whenever you feel alone in "space".

JudgeUK said:

"unfortunately we have had to take the decision that the game is no longer sustainable" - "but thanks for all your money".

Coming "soon" in SC Alpha 5.3.2

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Several million? Well, that's a lot more than hundreds of thousands some games have felt lucky to get in their crowdfunding campaigns, isn't it? And what they've shown so far is far, far beyond other games that have seemed tantalizing but only shown very crude animations or little more than concept art. I certainly hope I get to participate in testing at the earliest possible opportunity!
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Opening trailer, "Imagine a game without limits." I find such a game hard to imagine... but wish them well.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    TimEisen said:
    DU keeps quietly chugging along. I find their lack of drama refreshing.
    Me too! They go full speed but don't make big waves, working very efficiently, posting a big update per month showing huge progress. It's less exciting to follow a project like this imo because it's less of a "show" than what we've got used to with open-development, but I think it's the way to go to get a good crowdfunded MMO.
    So far, DU has not offered pixel space ships for sale or "golden space stations" for a mere $30K, or even "planetary governer" titles for $10K  ! :dizzy:

Perhaps that will change later, but their funding drive has been very low-key up to now, which sets them apart from the current crop of crowdfunded MMO's.

It remains to be seen whether gamers will balk at the plans for a monthly sub though.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Crowd funded games will no longer get any of my money (they didn't get much to begin with).  I've learned that it's less frustrating to watch a game flounder in development for years if you don't have any skin in the game.  Just forget it until, and if, it releases.  Still, good luck to them.  Maybe it will be a great game one day.
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

JudgeUK said:

At the moment it's in the 'anticipation' phase, which is largely vaporous hopes built on marketing promise-ware.

(Promise-ware: a bit like software only it has a habit of breaking down even before the power switch is turned on.)

Show me the money - well there it is. Now show me a long term game, not a six month closed/open beta then the game disappears with the all too familiar "unfortunately we have had to take the decision that the game is no longer sustainable" - "but thanks for all your money".

I guess you and I have different ideas for what constitutes a product that is "largely vaporous". Here is a full hour of gameplay.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    So what would stop a guild like goons from blowing up entire planets with everything on them?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Glad to hear they're doing well. It's another super ambitious project though... so I doubt we'll be seeing this game completed anytime soon. Also curious as to how they'll solve issues like what @Nilden mentioned. Given the trolls in the MMO community, this level of customization seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/