Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sandbox Done Right - Albion Online Review - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    EVE online sucks ballz. pay us money to train skills to fly ships next year. lmfao that game is a joke.
    If you didn't like EVE then I'm not sure why you thought you'd like Albion Online.  They're fairly similar in terms of how the game systems are structured.
    Some players don't realize when something is out of their league.
    Thanepostlarval

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    You guys are being baited by one or more of you know who's alt accounts.
  • meataxemeataxe Member UncommonPosts: 11
    edited August 2017
    How can this game be done right, its pay to win.  There been a number of members in my guild who have dropped over $500 so far.  The guildmaster dropped over $1000 to buy guild shops within one of the main cities on day one.  How can this be 'RIGHT' in any understanding of the word.  There's something very very very wrong when you can drop $500 to over $1000 for a f'ing game, pixels on a screen.  How gaming has changed over the last 20 years..its almost unrecognizable.
    GdemamiKyleranJeleenaOzmodanpostlarval
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Viper482 said:
    Not sure how anyone can post a thorough review when the game is barely playable, if you can even login, most hours of the day.
    I'm not sure what your experience is, but I play all the time and it is very playable.  Are there issues... yes.  Dealing with the DDOS is a pain in the ass, but myself and a lot of the MMORPG.COM guild are having a great time.
    Kyleranpostlarval

I self identify as a monkey.

Avanah said:
    LOL @ System. Spelled the word "Wrong" wrong. It should read "Sandbox done WRONG". Early game it will not be evident, but once you get to Tier 6+ your freedom is gone.

1. Solo Play is not an Option past T6.
    2. Groups/Guilds are forced if you want to get anywhere in the game.
    3. Better grind LOTS of replacement Gear.
    4. You want the best stuff? You WILL PvP!
    5. Want to lose the best stuff? You have no choice! PvP is a Must.

I have no issue with losing all my gear (UO Pre-trammel), but this game is made to GRIND and Stock up to lose gear and make more gear...Rinse/Repeat.

To those who still like it, I wish you lots of fun. :)

To each their own yes? 

It's a PvP, Guild driven game, so you are correct.  However, since this is the direction the game was intended, I don't see how you can count it as a negative for those who play.  If you don't like those things, then it's a negative, but it would be for any game that has the mechanics that you don't like.
    postlarval

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    For me, a game done right does not allow purchasing ingame currency for real money.

So only the 3rd-party gold sellers get to do that, huh?  In this case, pragmatism trumps idealism.  It's better for EVE Online to have PLEX, World of Warcraft to have the Token, and Albion Online to have Gold.  If you take those away, then the only way to purchase currency is 3rd-party gold sellers.  Removing the official method only helps gold sellers; it accomplishes nothing else.
    First off, I believe that the extent of gold purchasing would be lower in a game where you can buy it only from the "black market" as I am convinced that not everyone who buys gold from cash shop, which is legitimate, would be willing to violate game's terms and conditions by buying it from the gold sellers.

I also prefer it when developers implement other preventive and detective mechanisms to mitigate illegitimate gold selling than becoming gold sellers themselves.

I was stating my subjective preference. I dislike it when ingame assets are purchasable with money. I understand that currently, it is probably not attainable for game developers to fully mitigate gold selling. However, I personally consider it to be better when purchasing gold represents an illegitimate action which pretty much equals cheating.

I also understand that players have probably become more tolerant of these practices after the developments in the games funding and monetization of the last decade, but it does not mean that I am personally willing to accept it.

It's also important to fully understand what the term "win" means.

In your example, what did setting up guild shops actually do which resulted in a definitive win state?

If you are confusing the term as many do, and really mean gain an advantage, then I'll agree this mechanic does provide one.

But then again, people who play 12 hours a day, have a mega guild with a long term history of cooperation, are just really very skilled in PVP or game mechanics or can even manage to play without being kicked have long held one sort if advantage or another.

Play a game like EVE and you'll see in the long run it likely won't matter,  gold buyers will be at the same competitive level as the other groups I mentioned.

Liljna

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    i never came back to this game after the first 2 alpha which is like 3 years ago or so ?

looks like i made the right decision, it just suck that i bought the Legendary, there goes my 99 bucks for nothing, lol

So What Now?

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited August 2017
    The fact that a certain percentage of folks will always search for a way to cheat whenever there's an advantage to be had from doing so, does not mean that the enforcement of rules against such actions is hopeless or unnecessary.

Sumo wrestlers cheat, in one of the most honor-centered sports in the world.  Does that mean they should just give in, change the rules so that throwing matches is legal, because they'll never stomp it out completely?
    Gdemami

TweFoju said:
    i never came back to this game after the first 2 alpha which is like 3 years ago or so ?

looks like i made the right decision, it just suck that i bought the Legendary, there goes my 99 bucks for nothing, lol
    A shame that u take that view based on some of these negative comments.  Try it and see for yourself.  If u still don't like it, then fine.  It doesn't cost you anything but a bit of time, because u already paid for it.

This Community (some of) thrives on the negative.  If u based your decision on this, you'd never play anything.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Hey Robin Baird why not just admit it, you have never ever played a good sandbox game.  Labeling this game as a sandbox done right is ludicrous.  It is a sandbox, just not a very good one.

Next time MMORPG, get someone that has some experience in the subject matter before letting that make a fool of themselves with an idiotic review!
    postlarval
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    edited August 2017
    meataxe said:
    How can this game be done right, its pay to win.  There been a number of members in my guild who have dropped over $500 so far.  The guildmaster dropped over $1000 to buy guild shops within one of the main cities on day one.  How can this be 'RIGHT' in any understanding of the word.  There's something very very very wrong when you can drop $500 to over $1000 for a f'ing game, pixels on a screen.  How gaming has changed over the last 20 years..its almost unrecognizable.
    The guild I am in got a lot of plots in Caerleon on day one, not by throwing money in, but by playing smart.

Sure money can buy you some things, but in the long run, you are f'd as an alliance if you cannot field at least one good 5-man GvG team. No amount of money is going to fix that for you.
    Kyleran
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    You really don't need shops in the main city's just have a few different alts setup between private islands with all your crafting needs.
  • BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 167
    edited August 2017
    Server issues over the last two days were non existent. Many people who are writing negative comments probably played the game for 30 minutes and didn't give it a fair shake. Love this game with a passion. Best Sandbox in it's class by far. Give it a shot.
    KyleranOzmodanforcelimapostlarval
  • WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I'm willing to use your unused code =] @anyone
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Alomar said:
    I'm bored senseless from these waves of theme park and instanced garbage mmo's, but unfortunately the graphics of this game, the top down camera, and the combat prevent me from having any interest.
    Yep when it just looks like a cheap game from the early 90's,it does a better job of not fooling us into spending any money or wasting our time.

If the developer puts some serious effort into the design,especially visually "3D VIDEO/visual game" yeah go figure,then it garners at least some interest.

Here  si the really funny/odd part,as bad as the game may appear,at least to me it offers more of a game design than say a ARPG or a Moba of which those two genres are not worth 2 cents of my time.
    So i guess if anything there is a massive difference from one developer to another as far as effort and quality of game design goes.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    I'm a pure carebear and I'm enjoying my time in Albion. I'm a solo player who enjoys crafting and playing the market. I've no interest in combat or PvP. In fact, I rarely even leave town (except to gather).

So if you're a player that's more interested in the economy than in killing stuff, then Albion scratches that itch left by the death of ArcheAge.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Whenever I read "Albion Online bills itself as a sandbox MMO where players can write their own story" I not interested to even read further. This mean game is almost surely PVP oriented which does not appeal at all to me. And they had 10% of expenses coding game compared to PVE quest oriented game.
    mgilbrtsnpostlarval
    Whenever I read "Albion Online bills itself as a sandbox MMO where players can write their own story" I not interested to even read further. This mean game is almost surely PVP oriented which does not appeal at all to me. And they had 10% of expenses coding game compared to PVE quest oriented game.
    As far as PvP goes, you're absolutely correct.  If you're not a pvp person, then you might (might) not like the game.  As far as coding is concerned, I don't know how that sways a decision.  I don't think the objective is to have the most coding.  If it is, I'd venture to say you're correct.  However, I don't base my decisions on the coding complexity, but on the enjoyment of the game.  I don't really care what's under the hood, unless it affects gameplay.

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

meataxe said:

I know people that have been playing World of Warcraft for a looooooooong time. Subscription costs paid hit that mark easily, then you figure how much they've spent on expansions, character transfer services, and then on mounts and pets since the cash shop opened... For some people gaming is a very expensive hobby. And they're ok with that.

Welcome to the future of gaming!
  • Chrisdan101Chrisdan101 Member CommonPosts: 7
    The game is now free to play and has huge potential. Join the forums to find out all you need to know. https://albiononline.com/?ref=BN1KYHKM2F