Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadow Of War: microtransactions!

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I hate micro transactions like this, but really, game prices have been the same since at least 1995. Taking inflation into account current day 60 dollar games should cost about 110 right now, which they don't. So while every thing has gotten more expensive, gaming got relatively cheaper over the years, not the costs to make them, just the games.

So where does the money come from? You can't jack up the prices all of a sudden, so you ad other forms of revenue and give players the choice. Just playing devils advocate here but it ain't that weird, we have been spoiled rotten with gaming prices tbh.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    PhryYashaXMoxom914Gdemami
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Albatroes said:

Thank you for posting this, I am normally very careful when I do pre-orders, I do some digging etc etc, but the one time I let my guard down, because I loved the first one so much, and blindly pre-ordered when it came up on Steam.

I normally go by the "Fools rush in" method when buying games or anything really, so yeah I have cancelled the pre-order and now feel bloody annoyed that potentially great game has been turned into a whore.

I will put up with allot of bullshit in MMO's and big time free to play games, but not this, a full price mostly single player RPG.........Have WB tacked on a single player game onto a cash shop.

I believe that there should be some backlash to this, yes its been going on for awhile now, but its becoming the norm and the only power we have to influence this sadly is to close our wallets and say "Nope to far".

Sadly I do realise this has as much chance of happening as Elvis doing a live show from the moon.
    YashaX

• R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    lahnmir said:
    I hate micro transactions like this, but really, game prices have been the same since at least 1995. Taking inflation into account current day 60 dollar games should cost about 110 right now, which they don't. So while every thing has gotten more expensive, gaming got relatively cheaper over the years, not the costs to make them, just the games.

So where does the money come from? 
    How many copies did an average game sell in 1995? How many does it sell now?
    YashaXGorweGobstopper3DKayo83
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    laserit said:
    I was really looking forward to this game. It was a day one purchase for me, now... not so much. I might pick it up when its on a Steam sale, I might not. Will just have to wait and see.

This is almost exactly what I posted on their Steam forums word for word and the topic was removed.  They are VERY sensitive about people complaining about micro transactions.
    laserit

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

lahnmir said:

So where does the money come from? 
    How many copies did an average game sell in 1995? How many does it sell now?
    Worldwide gaming revenue since 1995 has quadrupled. So, with the same prices you could say 4X as many games have been sold, just to be safe we could say it was 5X as many.

But that is not interesting because costs have also increased and have done so by a much larger factor. According to Wiki for instance the average cost for a PS1 game was roughly 700.000 dollar but by the time the PS3 hit it was already 10 million. And even if these numbers are pretty off it still is a much larger increase in costs then in sales (14X versus 5X).

So, again, where does the money come from? Games are MUCH more expensive to make but get cheaper and cheaper over time, somewhere the cycle has to be broken.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Gdemami

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    DMKano said:
    huehuehue

If players were as passionate about real life issues as they are about games.....
    Why should they be ?

Some people are "Occupy Wall Street" activists, others work for GreenPeace, and some get passionate about their gaming hobby...

Btw, gaming is a "real life issue" too ! :D
    [Deleted User]YashaX
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited August 2017
    I don't care as long as I am not forced to spend to enjoy the game. 

Sovrath
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    DMKano said:
    huehuehue

If players were as passionate about real life issues as they are about games.....
    Weak straw man.  Just because you may be incapable of doing two things at once doesn't mean others are.  Maybe you're telling us something about yourself with your statement.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Microtransactions in single-player games started a decade ago already.

Gamers have become used-to them in online games, so it's perfectly logical that developers will expand their revenue possibilities in SPG's too. Soon the SPG cash shop will be a standard feature.

And with so many AAA SPG's incorporating multiplayer these days, the sky's the limit for selling "extra's" in SPG's...
    [Deleted User]
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    i will not only buy the game but spend money on transactions as well. i work hard for my money and spend a lot on games. gamers now are all butthurt pussies. they dont make you spend money so if you dont want to then dont. i apologize if this comment hurt any snowflakes feelings.
    GdemamiShaighGorweRexKushmanExcession
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    As someone who played a hell of a lot of SOM 1, I can't imagine what content would be boring and would need to be bypassed.  If "boring" means slaughtering thousands of orcs, then they've got the wrong guy.  I played for hundreds of hours just to kill orcs.  I wouldn't pay a penny to bypass that content.
    [Deleted User]YashaX
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Gorwe said:
    This game and WB are fking up the lore so much...but at least Shelob is sexy. At the very least, there's meat to drool over. Even if COMPLETELY miscast. And now, the dreaded microtransactions. Honestly, I hope Chris sues their asses for IP damage. I'll take his mossback conservatism over...this(ugh).
    I agree with you there, not sure how they let this stuff pass.

I understand what they are going for, Shelob as some type of nature god or some such thing but this wasn't necessary. I'm still going to buy the game (and not indulge in the microtransactions) as the last one was awesome (except for the horrid ending that pretty much had you do nothing).
    Gorwe
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2017
    Torval said:
    So if someone is not a fool...
    In other words, spending money on entertainment/hobby makes one fool... 'third grade mentality' you say?
    Torval said:
    Moxom914 said:
    i will not only buy the game but spend money on transactions as well. i work hard for my money and spend a lot on games. gamers now are all butthurt pussies. they dont make you spend money so if you dont want to then dont. i apologize if this comment hurt any snowflakes feelings.
    So if someone is not a fool and doesn't throw their money down the drain they're "pussies". That should motivate the rest of the drooling masses with their third grade mentality. Let me guess, you love cheetos too.
    Whoah! Slow down there tiger, what is wrong with Cheetos?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]Asheram

Gorwe said:
    Moxom914 said:
    You sir are a weak willed moron(favorite kind for corporations, mind you). Nobody cares whether you earn 1000$ or 100000$ per month. But if you're not careful, you could spoil it for other people you know? And then, when the shit hits the fan, people like you are the loudest screeching monkeys. "We'll see what happens" -> "NO! Have some common sense and don't invoke doom upon yourself{and us all}?"
    This goes back to my "we're not a club".

Someone is always going to "look askance" at what another does.

I'm pretty sure we both could look into each other lives and find at least one thing that we disapprove of.

If he finds value or fun in several of the micro-transactions then that's pretty much it.

I mean, you spend money on video games and I have some (wonderful) friends who think that's a complete waste of money. Should I take their advice and spend that money on something else?

No I say!

I can see the slippery slope in making the game impossible to play unless one buys from the in game store but I suspect that won't happen. At least not yet. At the moment, if they make it so that you have to purchase bits and bobs then the game is going to get a bad review because it's going to be touted as unplayable.

As far as I know, at least on PC/Console games (and someone can correct me if I'm mistaken) one can finish a single player game without the need for spending more money.

So we'll see where this goes.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Torval said:
     You love to put words into others mouths don't you. 
    Your own words, not mine.
    Gorwe said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    In other words, spending money on entertainment/hobby makes one fool... 'third grade mentality' you say?
    It's one thing to spend money to purchase it. It's whole another thing to invite the corp.people for the feast. And the feast being...US. "One does not simply do business with money sharks"
    So here's a thought, what happens if many people buy it but very few buy the micro-transactions? That sends another message doesn't it?
    Gorwe

Torval said:
    Yes, because no one can see the previous three posts and how you twisted and SeanM'd what I said. Do you two share an account?
    You are getting lost...

Torval said:
    Moxom914 said:
    So if someone is not a fool and doesn't throw their money down the drain they're "pussies". That should motivate the rest of the drooling masses with their third grade mentality. Let me guess, you love cheetos too.
    I twisted nothing.
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    It's one thing to spend money to purchase it. It's whole another thing to invite the corp.people for the feast. And the feast being...US. "One does not simply do business with money sharks"
    So here's a thought, what happens if many people buy it but very few buy the micro-transactions? That sends another message doesn't it?
    Maybe. If they made more money than lost by doing so then they may not care.
    Yeah but that depends on how much money they made.

that's the one thing with corporations, especially corporations that have investors. If they spend x dollars to create a product and service and make a smaller profit than they wanted/needed they will take that money and put it into something else that makes them the profit they want.

It's the same issue with City of Heroes. Players like to shout that it still made money. Well, I'm sure it did but means nothing. It's not enough to to make money they need to make enough money to match whatever financial projections they have announced to investors.

Of course then some players start screaming "they're developing with their investors in mind". Only forgetting that they themselves are also investors and if their investments were only making "a little money" they would start looking elsewhere to put their money.

Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    Hopefully. I just want to earn my stuff within the game, not pay 5$ for it.
    Hey, preaching to the choir here. I'm "hoping" it's just cosmetic stuff or that one can advance without hitting one's head against the war and being "enticed" to pay for xp buffs.
    Gorwe

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Participating in the ranked multiplayer attacking other players castles, defending your castle make your commanders and soldiers that die disappear for good even in your single player campaign. So I am betting there are going to be a lot of items and units for use in this mode in the cash shop.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited August 2017
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    Hopefully. I just want to earn my stuff within the game, not pay 5$ for it.
    Hey, preaching to the choir here. I'm "hoping" it's just cosmetic stuff or that one can advance without hitting one's head against the war and being "enticed" to pay for xp buffs.
    Hell, I don't want to purchase even cosmetics. What's wrong with earning it? But I feel too old to even mention this...people these days. They just want to purchase, don't want to earn anything.
    Asheram said:
    Participating in the ranked multiplayer attacking other players castles, defending your castle make your commanders and soldiers that die disappear for good even in your single player campaign. So I am betting there are going to be a lot of items and units for use in this mode in the cash shop.
    Honestly, mixing singleplayer and multiplayer elements...doesn't sound exactly promising.
    There is a non ranked version of the mp which if your troops die in it they are still alive in your sp campaign its only the ranked version where losses count.
    [Deleted User]Gorwe
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    edited August 2017
    It is so sad seeing how far micro transactions are affecting games.

I remember a time when Splash Damage gave away Enemy Territory: Wolfenstein for free.  Now a days a publisher like EA, WB would slap on a $60 price tag on a game with less content (cough Battlefront), charge extra for a season pass/DLC and deluxe/pre-order editions and fill the game with micro transactions.

I thought it would be a couple more years before I would see loot boxes introduced in single player games, but unfortunately gamer's will not make a stand and will let it pass like day one DLC, pre-order bonuses etc. It will become a nature part of the future games, which will slowly become more intrusive as the years progress to the point gamer's will be happy to hand over triple A money to play a game that resembles crappy mobile apps like Hay Day and Clash of Clans etc.
    Gdemami
  • HeyYouVideoGameHeyYouVideoGame Member UncommonPosts: 22
    i hate microtransactions. always feels like a money grab.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    LeFantome said:
    Do you blame the company ? Because as long as people will pay, companies are going to do that. So I don't  blame them for giving them the tools to buy stuff with real  money, instead I blame the players for doing it.
    It's a mix of both at fault here, but I find the companies the companies that milk the players to be the real scumbags. There's always that small portion of players that will use their wallets cause money is not an issue for them.
    Gdemami