Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corsair Scimitar RGB MOBA/MMO Gaming Mouse Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageCorsair Scimitar RGB MOBA/MMO Gaming Mouse Review - MMORPG.com

The Corsair Scimitar RGB MMO Gaming Mouse is the stalwart tech company’s own entry into the MMO mouse arena, with 12 buttons on the side and 17 total buttons for extensive control options. It’s Corsair’s answer to the Logitech G600, the Razer Naga, and the Roccat Nyth. But how does it stack up? Turns out, really damn well. Read on for our full review.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• hirezkinghirezking Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Only downfall is not the mouse it self but the software it uses. Crashes have plagued the software and each updates still dont address the issue. Sometimes when I wake computer from sleep mode it doesnt initialize the mouse no matter what usb port I have it in. So i have to plug and unplug the mouse. So for the CUE software it needs a ton of work but the mouse it self is great and I love it over my old Razer.
    bartoni33[Deleted User]LahuzerXophesc-joconnorJeffSpicoli
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    That sliding button feature is an excellent idea, taking into account different hand sizes and preferred grip positions.
    I will be happy to give a review of this - from the free sample shamelessly being begged for here :-)
    jitter77
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited August 2017
    hirezking said:
    Only downfall is not the mouse it self but the software it uses. Crashes have plagued the software and each updates still dont address the issue. Sometimes when I wake computer from sleep mode it doesnt initialize the mouse no matter what usb port I have it in. So i have to plug and unplug the mouse. So for the CUE software it needs a ton of work but the mouse it self is great and I love it over my old Razer.
    When I saw the moveable thumb keypad I was ready to buy. After reading this ad I went to NewEgg to check out the reviews. Not good. Many people saying the same things about the software as you are. If you are forced to install software to get a mouse or keyboard to work out of the box that's a big no-no. I'll stick to my Naga. No extraneous software needed.

EDIT: Here is the store page with reviews https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826816047

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• metarealmetareal Member UncommonPosts: 32
    edited August 2017

hirezking said:

Maybe it's possible to not use the custom software and use Autohotkey instead which is great to customize input devices.
    raidervc
  • joewolf79joewolf79 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I actually bought one of these to try to step up from a 5 button mouse to an mmo mouse. Sadly after spending a week trying to get used to it I had to go back to my old mouse. Despite being lighter than my other mouse it just doesn't glide as well across my mouse pad. It's large back end and overall height made it feel awkward to hold. And I couldn't find a grip that allowed me to pick it up without pressing the side buttons. I don't have anything bad to say about the quality, it just seems like it was designed for someone who has very different hands than I do.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    That's a problem with all mice. This one fits my hand really well, without having to move the keys much at all.
    Ozmodan

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Torval said:
    Also you don't need the software for the keyboard and mouse to work. You need it to address the button above MB5. That's true for any multibutton mouse with input greater than MB5. It doesn't matter if it's Razer, Logitech, or Steelseries.

There are a lot of "gaming" mice being made that don't have more than 2 extra buttons so they don't have to put any effort into making software that enables full functionality on their mice. It's a cheap way for hardware makers to sell expensive gaming mice that aren't really gaming mice.
    According to a few reviews I've seen you have to use the software for any of the thumb keys to work. That was what I found to be silly. I hope they were wrong. My Naga works out of the box without any software. You only need to install it to change the colors on the mouse and for any macros you want to use. I can't comment on how good or bad Razer software is because I have never installed it for either my mouse or my keyboard (Blackwidow Tournament Stealth).

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

Torval said:
    bartoni33 said:
    Torval said:
    Also you don't need the software for the keyboard and mouse to work. You need it to address the button above MB5. That's true for any multibutton mouse with input greater than MB5. It doesn't matter if it's Razer, Logitech, or Steelseries.

There are a lot of "gaming" mice being made that don't have more than 2 extra buttons so they don't have to put any effort into making software that enables full functionality on their mice. It's a cheap way for hardware makers to sell expensive gaming mice that aren't really gaming mice.
    According to a few reviews I've seen you have to use the software for any of the thumb keys to work. That was what I found to be silly. I hope they were wrong. My Naga works out of the box without any software. You only need to install it to change the colors on the mouse and for any macros you want to use. I can't comment on how good or bad Razer software is because I have never installed it for either my mouse or my keyboard (Blackwidow Tournament Stealth).
    You can program your Naga keys inside any game without Synapse? I find that hard to believe or we wouldn't have installed Synapse here after it originally fought with nVidia's GeForce Experience and some games with anticheat software. My entire foray down the rabbit hole of third party vendor software started with multibutton mice and needing it just to address those buttons.

A specific piece of software can have drivers for a specific piece of hardware and so there could be a game where Naga programability works out of the box. Diablo 3 does that with my Corsair K70 LUX, but that's because Blizzard wrote that functionality into the game. Most games don't work like that.
    I'm not sure what you are asking. :/

Yes you can program all the keys in any game like any other mouse. I have a switch on the bottom of my Naga that chooses between the top row number keys and the Number Pad keys for the 12 thumb buttons (great for me because I have a tenkeyless keyboard). So whatever you program those number keys to in-game will work on the thumb keys. Out of the box the two little buttons below the scroll wheel page forward and back on web pages too. I have owned 2 versions of the Naga and one keyboard and have never installed the software.

edited August 2017
    Torval said:
    What do you use to program button number 9 for example or how do you program those without software?
    For instance:

In ESO I have the 5 ability keys mapped to numbers 4-8 instead of 1-5 because it's easier to reach those keys with my thumb because of my claw grip on the mouse (hence being interested in the OP mouse). In your instance I would just map 9 to say the ultimate ability in-game. The game itself dictates what the thumb buttons correspond to. No outside software needed.

EDIT: To clarify: To map 9 to ultimate I would go into key settings, click on the ultimate to choose what key to remap it to, then press 9 on my thumb button.

EDIT TWO; ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: I can even use the thumb keys to type in the corresponding numbers into text files and web pages like this post out of the box.
    [Deleted User]

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    I gave up on multibutton mice a while back.
    After my previous mouse' right button started acting up I decided that it's time to "throw some money". I won't name the name of the mice, but overall I bought 9... first I bought 1, didn't like it, returned it and asked to change it to another model... repeated that 8 times and realized that literally not a single one of these mice fitted me + the store said that they aren't going to allow any more returns lol :P
    What I did was get $15 and go to the nearest hardware store and got myself a nice $15 Hama uRage something something mouse.... Couldn't be happier with it :D

It really comes down to personal preference, heck not even preference, but "feeling". Some people find these mice comfortable other like me will always find something that they don't like. Whether it's the way it feels to the touch, the position of the keys, weight, the way it slides or (like in 90% of my cases) the laser responsiveness.

bartoni33 said:

Torval said:

That's not true. I don't use the CUE software and all the keys work fine.
    [Deleted User]bartoni33starros

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    hirezking said:
    Yeah, same problem with my keyboard that uses the same program. It crashes and bugs a lot.

I am not certain why a mouse need RGB functions though... I can buy that it can be good on a keyboard, you can actually have the keys have specific lights in the game you are playing depending on it's functions and that at least is somewhat useful. With a mouse the only thing I can figure is if you really want everything in the house X-mas themed and glowing.
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I previously was a big fan of Corsair's m90 series mouses. But after awhile, a glaring issue came about. The style they use for the standard right and left mouse clicks is very unforgiving for steady/frequent use. It is suspended only by its own weight and the "button" that registers the click is not found near the tip of the button. Meaning that with every few thousand clicks. The plastic bounces back less and creates negative feedback due to the inputs position under the clicker.

After the m90 series. Corsair has started using cheaper plastics which has increased this issue with their design. If you are a casual player or even moderate. Then you probably won't notice. But for those that play long hours and/or high APM games. You'll kill the clicker on this really fast and that's not covered by the warranty.

GAMDIAS uses a similar click design but solved the wearing issue years ago. Their mice have a plastic spike that goes into the body of the mouse and presses a switch. The spike has to be pressed through two opposing springs to achieve contact. So even if the plastic button wears and is less responsive. The metal springs will start taking the load of bouncing it back and keeping it from resting on the switch. Making for a longer-lasting mouse. I've had my GAMDIAS Zeus GMS1100 for four years. Never has a gaming mouse lasted more than a year for me (I play lots of League of Legends) prior to this mouse. Unfortunately, GAMDIAS hasn't been able to break into the industry well and they haven't made another higher-end mouse recently.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826374001

• WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    what an unnecessarily ugly mouse
    Ozmodan

bartoni33 said:

Torval said:

Good to know. Thank you for clearing that up.

I do have a question. Have you used the Razer Naga before? If so does the Scimitar thumb buttons move toward the back of the mouse farther than the Naga keys are? With my claw grip on my Naga my thumb naturally rests on the 7 and 10 keys. I would really be interested in the Scimitar if the keys were farther back where my thumb naturally rest on say the 4 and 7 keys at least.

@Torval both mice I have used have been the Naga's so I'm not sure on the firmware aspects of a non-Naga one.
    [Deleted User]

• ccmclaughccmclaugh Member UncommonPosts: 32
    [WARNING] Don't buy this mouse. It uses an optical sensor that does not track well. For example, open up a program like Paint and try to draw a diagonal line. You will instead get a random diagonal stair step pattern.

I was a sucker and bought the Corsair mouse to replace my Razer Naga, which uses a precision laser for tracking. At first I didn't understand why the mouse didn't track properly. I tried firmware and software updates, new mouse pads, and even replaced the mouse with a new one. I finally found out that Corsair uses sub-standard optical tracking that is highly imprecise. It's a shame, because everything else about the Corsair mouse is great. Corsair screwed up the most basic function of a mouse: accurate tracking.
    Ozmodan
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    edited August 2017
    I've owned 2 Nagas, a G600 and a Scimitar and the Scimitar wins by a long shot.

The Nagas were easy to use but both died very quickly, one with a bad scroll wheel and one just stopped responding (cord go extremely hot). For the money these mice should last for years not a few months.

The G600 was a very nice mouse but it was just too wide, if you claw grip your mouse like I do your hand will probably start cramping up in less than an hour of game time.

So far the Scimitar has ticked all the right boxes for me, good fit, well built and I've been using it for over a year and no major issues. Though I did have the same issue a a previous post where the side buttons wouldn't work in games unless I created a Cue macro for each but that didn't take long to fix.

Edit: If the Nagas hadn't died they would have been very slightly better than the Scimitar.
    [Deleted User]

bartoni33 said:

bartoni33 said:

Torval said:

Good to know. Thank you for clearing that up.

I do have a question. Have you used the Razer Naga before? If so does the Scimitar thumb buttons move toward the back of the mouse farther than the Naga keys are? With my claw grip on my Naga my thumb naturally rests on the 7 and 10 keys. I would really be interested in the Scimitar if the keys were farther back where my thumb naturally rest on say the 4 and 7 keys at least.

@Torval both mice I have used have been the Naga's so I'm not sure on the firmware aspects of a non-Naga one.

I have a naga too. Let me compare, but I think the Corsair moves further back.
    bartoni33

My Review Manifesto

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I also found that my corsair mouse came with the thumb buttons set to nothing, and often on reboot they are back to nothing again, unlike other Logitech and Razer/Nostromo peripherals that I find set the keys in the firmware and so remain unchanged on other machines even. I also have problems with the software freezing on launch and the mouse not being recognized. I have 3 PCs that I have changed and upgraded overtime to play with my 2 teenage sons, and have used many mice over the years, the past few mmorpg mice exclusively, I will never buy a Corsair again.
    bartoni33
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Naga wins because Synapse is superior software compared to the others. Simple as that for me.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited August 2017
    ccmclaugh said:
    [WARNING] Don't buy this mouse. It uses an optical sensor that does not track well. For example, open up a program like Paint and try to draw a diagonal line. You will instead get a random diagonal stair step pattern.

I was a sucker and bought the Corsair mouse to replace my Razer Naga, which uses a precision laser for tracking. At first I didn't understand why the mouse didn't track properly. I tried firmware and software updates, new mouse pads, and even replaced the mouse with a new one. I finally found out that Corsair uses sub-standard optical tracking that is highly imprecise. It's a shame, because everything else about the Corsair mouse is great. Corsair screwed up the most basic function of a mouse: accurate tracking.
    Nonsense!  My corsair mouse does not exhibit any of those issues.  You must have had a defective one.  The kids draw on paint all the time with zero issues.

I have tried many mice, only the Corsair mouse feels right to me.  Just really dislike the feel of the Naga or any of the other Razor offerings I have tried.  Not had a problem with the Corsair software either.
    [Deleted User]
  • Drengarth86Drengarth86 Member CommonPosts: 2
    Not sure if Im just unlucky with my Razer products going to shit after just few months. So I thought I'd try this mouse (only 2 weeks old by now) so no problems so far and it feels great, and no crashes what so ever (what I read about in the comments at top).
    But time will tell, hopefully it'll last longer.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited August 2017
    I like my nagas for the feel and size but damn they are not good quality, the plastic is cheap and can actually wear down and give you a left click issue, plus synapse is crap.

Who the hell wants their mouse software to be cloud bound and online? Luckily I had the drivers right before syncrap came along.

Also I swear razer does it on purpose or they would allow you to buy naga covers rather than forcing you to buy a new mouse or force homebrew fixes.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I was interested till I read about all the software problems no thank you. What's up with the edgy rooftop review?
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    I can't get around that many buttons :|