Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nintendo faces lawsuit over the Switch's detachable controllers

Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
"The Nintendo Switch certainly isn't the first gaming tablet, but is it directly riffing on others' ideas? Gamevice thinks so. The accessory maker is suing Nintendo for allegedly violating a patent for concepts used in the Wikipad, its gaming-oriented Android slate, as well as its namesake add-on controllers for phones and tablets. According to the suit, the Switch and its removable Joy-Con controllers are too close to Gamevice's vision of a combination of detachable game controller and a device with a "flexible bridge section." Not surprisingly, the lawsuit calls for both damages and a ban on Switch sales."

So it appears that Nintendo is facing a lawsuit from a smaller company for patent infringement? If they win, what will this do to Nintendo?

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    These types of patents are an annoyance and shouldn't be allowed.
    SBFordMrMelGibson[Deleted User]bartoni33[Deleted User]
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    edited August 2017
    This is the Wikipad that Gamevice has patented. The controllers are removable.

Looks like they might just have a leg to stand on.... I am willing to bet Nintendo settles in order to keep from having to cease production and sales. Unfortunately from what I understand, that is not what the company wants. They actually do want Nintendo to shut it down.

I forgot to post a link: LINK

bartoni33SlyLoK

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I doubt they'll get anything for it.  It's like saying the XB controller is too close to the PS4 controller.  In the end the controller for the switch IS different, it's really just a transformation from the Wii U pad.  Or more specifically it's the Wii U pad and the Wii-motes ideas in one.

Nintendo likely won't be phased by this at all.  Its probably just this small companies way to try and get advertising. 
    SBFordMrMelGibsonAllerleirauh[Deleted User]

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Perhaps Nintendo can counter sue because the WikiPad name sounds too similar to the Wii U pad ? :D
    maskedweaselSBFordMrMelGibsonHatefullAllerleirauh
  • Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Perhaps Nintendo can counter sue because the WikiPad name sounds too similar to the Wii U pad ? :D
    Sitting and taking a look in to this further, it really does depend on the date of the patent.... I do notice however that there are some differences in the current design. I do not think this is going to hold up, and I am willing to bet they will take a settlement from Nintendo

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Sitting and taking a look in to this further, it really does depend on the date of the patent.... I do notice however that there are some differences in the current design. I do not think this is going to hold up, and I am willing to bet they will take a settlement from Nintendo
    I wonder if Nintendo will even offer one.  No doubt they have much bigger capital and small companies like this can't really draw out long legal battles they have no chance of winning.  If there is a settlement it will likely be very small, less than whatever the initial legal fees will be, and in the end a small company can't handle a countersuit if for some reason nintendo finds something to take issue with on their patents. 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    You can not patent an idea. You can patent the way in which an invention works but not the invention in and of itself.

A patent is also only as good as the paperwork. If you are awarded a patent and your paperwork for it sucks, there could loopholes that a competitor could drive a semi truck through.

It's all legalese and the interpretation of.

Damn lawyers ;)
    Iselin[Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited August 2017
    Patent trolls only to think if I came up with a bunch of these on my own then just sued everyone who used them.

IMO it shouldn't be allowed.
    SBFord
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    That is funny...
    I have a console from the 80s - even before Atari became a thing where the joypads are attached to the console and you can remove them for more freedom.

Oh the idea is so new!
    HatefullSolar_Prophet[Deleted User]
    Harbinger of Fools
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    This is just a quick money grab technique by a bunch of used cars salesman types.
    SBFord

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Dakeru said:
    That is funny...
    I have a console from the 80s - even before Atari became a thing where the joypads are attached to the console and you can remove them for more freedom.

Oh the idea is so new!
    Yeah, a few of the old Pong consoles were like that. It's hardly a new idea. Hell, the Atari 2600 actually had wireless joysticks available. 

As much as I'd like to see Nintendo taken down a peg or two due to their ridiculously litigious nature involving copyright / trademark issues, I don't see this going anywhere, more's the pity. I do wish Gamevice the best of luck though. They're going to need it. 
    [Deleted User]

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Honestly, they might get a settlement. I think it would be dumb for this smaller company to precede further than a settlement. They will be taken to the ringer otherwise, especially if they demand a cease in sales.
    [Deleted User]
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Dakeru said:
    That is funny...

Oh the idea is so new!
    Yeah, a few of the old Pong consoles were like that. It's hardly a new idea. Hell, the Atari 2600 actually had wireless joysticks available. 

As much as I'd like to see Nintendo taken down a peg or two due to their ridiculously litigious nature involving copyright / trademark issues, I don't see this going anywhere, more's the pity. I do wish Gamevice the best of luck though. They're going to need it. 
    Yeah Pong.. good times.

I don't even remember how this came into my possession.
    I know it belonged to my grandfather and he probably gave it to me at some point.

Video games run in the family.
    [Deleted User]
    Harbinger of Fools