Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deception or Belief: A Crowd Funded Paradox - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageDeception or Belief: A Crowd Funded Paradox - MMORPG.com

While reflecting upon games we’ve lost it occurred to Tim Eisen that we’ve recently lost another member of the MMORPG family. The original idea behind a crowd funded MMORPG has died, and it means nothing.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

GdemamiMadFrenchieSlapshot1188waynejr2

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    it started as a good thing. then greed took over and now its mostly one other way to swindle some quick cash out of people's hopes and dreams.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    One of the titles I backed on KS blames ex employees for missing deadlines and not being able to deliver on promised rewards and mechanics from stretch goals and pledges.

actual developer quote regarding status of a KS pledge reward:

"That promise was made before we knew we were going to do monthly releases. Also just doesn't make sense and was likely made by someone no longer here."
    [Deleted User]AlomarAzaron_NightbladeRobbgobbKyleranGdemamiinfomatz
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Sanya Weathers wrote about the problem with mmorpg kickstarter 5 years ago. It explains why so many projects have run into problems.

• "a no-frills MMO with minimal QA testing and a rough launch will take four years and ten million dollars."
    • "At minimum, you need an experienced project manager, a server programmer, and an animator on board - because those are the three roles that are the hardest to fill. We call them unicorns. Sorry, but "idea guy" is completely useless, here."
    • "But what about just using Kickstarter as a proof-of-concept?" "This is the hope and prayer of practically everyone using Kickstarter, because none of the pros really think they can raise everything through crowdfunding. They just want to get enough done to go trolling for publishers and partners."

She was wrong about other things though, people were willing to spend millions on kickstarter mmorpg and experienced developers have gone to kickstarter to make mmorpg. 
    blorpykins[Deleted User]Azaron_NightbladeobiiKyleranGdemami
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Shaigh said:
    Sanya Weathers wrote about the problem with mmorpg kickstarter 5 years ago. It explains why so many projects have run into problems.

• "a no-frills MMO with minimal QA testing and a rough launch will take four years and ten million dollars."
    • "At minimum, you need an experienced project manager, a server programmer, and an animator on board - because those are the three roles that are the hardest to fill. We call them unicorns. Sorry, but "idea guy" is completely useless, here."
    • "But what about just using Kickstarter as a proof-of-concept?" "This is the hope and prayer of practically everyone using Kickstarter, because none of the pros really think they can raise everything through crowdfunding. They just want to get enough done to go trolling for publishers and partners."

She was wrong about other things though, people were willing to spend millions on kickstarter mmorpg and experienced developers have gone to kickstarter to make mmorpg. 
    And how many KS MMO projects have been picked up by major backers or publishing houses to date ? Crowfall might qualify, but they're hardly a team of industry neophytes...

I recall Jeromy Walsh announcing 6 months ago that CoE had already been "approached by several major backers". The ensuing silence has been deafening. 
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited August 2017
    What are Kickstarter's actual MMO success stories so far? We all know CoE and SC have made boatloads of money, but what KS mmo's that have actually made it to launch, and how are they currently doing? The list seems to limited to Shroud of the Avatar and Albion Online as far as I can recall... with the Repopulation having some serious issues in delivering a finished product, Pathfinder Online being the laughing stock of the mmo community, and a couple of others (like Smedley's project) getting cancelled entirely?

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    I think the real takeaway is that kick started MMORPGs can work, but it's the exception. CU, Albion, hex, shroud of the avatar all have at least mostly made good. The depopulation, etc not so much.

You have to be careful but you needn't be 100% disavowed.
    obii

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

itchmon said:

I think the real takeaway is that kick started MMORPGs can work, but it's the exception. CU, Albion, hex, shroud of the avatar all have at least mostly made good. The depopulation, etc not so much.

You have to be careful but you needn't be 100% disavowed.

Perhaps the lesson there is that the indie projects with a limited scope can succeed, but those with a laundry list of features run into all kinds of difficulties.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Dual Universe just aquired $3.7 million from some private investor.
    [Deleted User]
    Asheram said:
    Dual Universe just aquired $3.7 million from some private investor.
    In terms of big MMO's with high production values, $3.7M is peanuts.
    KyleranNildenGdemami
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited August 2017
    I thought this article was a pretty good bit of part hard truth and part tongue in cheek philosophizing.

It made for an enjoyable and thought-provoking read on what's been a hot-button topic here on the site lately.

Thanks Tim!
    [Deleted User]KyleranAzaron_NightbladeGdemami

• blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    edited August 2017
    What makes the indie developer an indie developer?  Is it team size?  Is it the amount of money they have to work with?  I'm watching a handful of games and all of them toss manpower out onto the table - even Star Citizen does this and by all rights they're firmly in the heavyweight category where tools, budget, manpower assets are concerned.

Ashes of Creation being a new kid on the block still, soon as they were done with Kickstarter they made new hires happen.  I gotta admit, that was a pro move as I see it.  And then I watch other titles that are still developing on crowdfunding dollars and they've stagnated completely... patch  schedules are static, team size doesn't change, it's like there's no spark left in the project and they're still unable to say when they plan to see a commercial launch.  SOON(tm)

Star Citizen, the king of SOON(tm), at least they put on a good show where dev is concerned.

I think I'm rambling now... anyway, I do wonder what a good team size is or if there's an average team size that can be assumed based on past crowdfunding dev team experiences.
    Gdemami
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    I am cautious of anything to do with MMOs these days much less contemplating kickstarting them.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Maybe KS is just not suitable for MMO development? Just a thought...

KS success for MMOs is at best, proof of interest in a concept that will always require additional non-KS funding to develop. That seems like a misuse of KS for some reason (typically marketing or prototyping) other than its intended purpose.
    KyleranGdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited August 2017
    TimEisen said:

I thought this article was a pretty good bit of part hard truth and part tongue in cheek philosophizing.

It made for an enjoyable and thought-provoking read on what's been a hot-button topic here on the site lately.

Thanks Tim!

Appreciate that. That was a great conversation. It certainly made an impact on this column.
    It's cool to see you guys using the topics here as topics for continued columns such as this.

As someone who isn't much interested in throwing loads of money at a promise and a hype video, what do we do?

Obviously some of these projects seem to be more...  How should we say it...  Modest, about their promises.  CU comes to mind (think the only thing that seems revolutionary are the spell interaction system and the number of folks the engine will supposedly handle)..  Contrast that to CoE's 18 month timeline.  Should we continue looking to fund those like Jacobs and Co, or have we already reached a point where the original status quo (publishers) was a more ideal situation than crowdfunding?

Is the first generation of KS MMORPGs also the death knell of the KS MMORPG?  The money being raised doesn't seem to indicate so...  But fatigue is already beginning to show among the base.  Will that translate into waning funding?  Like you, I have my doubts, and they do not stem from the opinion that these games are all going to come out and show us true quality.  At best, I expect they will be roughly the same level quality as the releases we've already got.  Revolutionary features will be pushed or shuttered, scopes will retract heavily as the developers struggle toward "release," whatever that means anymore.  At worst, they fold without ever reaching MVP.
    Gdemami

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Oh Crap!

I almost feel bad after reading that article. I feel like we have beaten down @TimEisen and he's thrown in his Glass Half Full card and joined us. Part of me wishes he was still the hopeful voice shouting "Yeah.. BUT MAYBE!!" in the face of the dark thoughts.

I always kind of dreamed about someday having a point/counter-point column with him where he would speak hope while I spoke doom...

Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    I don't know... on one hand I agree and I also think exactly like that when I'm in a slow day / kind of depressed. Otoh crowdfunded MMOs seem to be the only way to get any kind of design or technological innovation because established studios just don't want to risk losing so much money trying.

Look at the recent MMO releases which are mostly eastern ones... It's all the same debilitating, repetitive mind-enslaving crap they serve over and over again. "4 more hours killing those creatures and you'll get a chest, a wonderful chest." There's little tactics and strategy, the gameplay could barely be qualified as multiplayer so let's forget about the benefits of socialization, we learn nothing, it's just about using effective techniques to get players hooked for a few more weeks until the next patch is ready to get released.

At least many of the indie studios are trying something different and it seems to me like they have more respect for the players' intelligence than the dozens of linear & grindy "MMO" games that get shipped every year just because this model has proven to be the most profitable to date.
    Gdemami
    edited August 2017

At least many of the indie studios are trying something different and it seems to me like they have more respect for the players' intelligence than the dozens of linear & grindy "MMO" games that get shipped every year just because this model has proven to be the most profitable to date.
    I get that way of looking at it, but allow me to offer a specific, alternative perspective:

The indie studios are insulting your intelligence by expecting you to fund pipe dream-level MMORPGs without a staff or realistic plan to do so.  They're giving you false hope through the use of hype and highly unrealistic timelines, which they're all too happy to sell on until you attempt to point at the timeline and go "so what happened?" at which point they get to simply shrug and say "development, man, what can you do?"

You can stop using downright predatory tactics to convince folks to hand you money for ideas.  That's what you can do, Mr. Developer.

Somehow, in the buzz of crowdfunding freedom, we've forgotten that the publishers served a very large, very important purpose: to filter out the harebrained schemes from the legitimate endeavors.  We've proven thus far we're not at all very good at it ourselves.
    Slapshot1188francis_baudIselinKyleranGdemami

• CalavryCalavry Member UncommonPosts: 113
    Thank you very much for the great article @TimEisen
    Gdemami
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I do not believe they put that much thought into weather their idea is great or better than anyone before.
    I feel they simply realize there is zero risk ,so why not use someone else's money with no guarantees and nobody to answer to.
    So it then becomes easy employment,be your own boss and have no pressure,make a great living from nothing but promises.

The assumptions are however correct,there is no way in hell a developer that put some serious effort into their game can know how much money they have or will have to work with and how long it will take not knowing how much money and how many they can afford to hire.

So it starts out as basically lies,manipulation,deception,promises that no way can be guaranteed and then spend some money on websites to help promote the promises.Those advertising websites then claim no sponsor and not paid but also know that by joining in the deception and fake promises they might weasel out some money from the developer.

Overall it is one big sell job without a product to sell,go figure how that ever made it this far.You know why it works in real life and anywhere not gaming,well because if you pre-order from Ikea and they cannot deliver a few weeks later,you'll get your money back,devs won't give you any money back.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Wizardry said:

Overall it is one big sell job without a product to sell,go figure how that ever made it this far.You know why it works in real life and anywhere not gaming,well because if you pre-order from Ikea and they cannot deliver a few weeks later,you'll get your money back,devs won't give you any money back.
    Mark Jacobs does give full no questions asked refunds at any time, with Camelot Unchained. It's one of the main reasons I have respect for CU but very little for other MMO crowdfunded projects.

The other big reason is that they're building their own engine and assets. 
    Slapshot1188Gdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I think crowd funding has one use for studios that can actually pull off what they say they plan to do, to show investors that there is demand for their product. Maybe a differend kind of system should be in place, not crowd funding, but some kind of early pledge system. Like a pre-pre-pre order, but nothing is paid if the product isn't delivered.
    Iselin