Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sandbox Done Right - Albion Online Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageSandbox Done Right - Albion Online Review - MMORPG.com

Albion Online bills itself as a sandbox MMO where players can write their own story, and for the most part this is an accurate description. Everyone starts off the same; in their underwear with no possessions at all. There's the barest bit of a tutorial to show off the basics of the systems and how everything works, and then you are off to find your own adventure.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Avanahpantaro

Comments

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I'm bored senseless from these waves of theme park and instanced garbage mmo's, but unfortunately the graphics of this game, the top down camera, and the combat prevent me from having any interest.
    gluckdracheOzmodanWizardryThunder073sasa777ProfGetzUNH0LYEV1L
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Player Driven Economy + https://albiononline.com/en/shop/#gold-21000 = Sandbox done wrong
    GdemamiManWithNoTanLynxJSATaneonAlomar3domKyleranMazingerZSlapshot1188Zerdand 9 others.
  • sofeenhaftsofeenhaft Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Best mmo out so far. Best sandbox in all terms. Just one failure ... the ddos attacks
    OzmodanMightyUncleanrolfharrisProfGetz
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Not sure how anyone can post a thorough review when the game is barely playable, if you can even login, most hours of the day.
    OzmodanpostlarvalUNH0LYEV1L
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154

Viper482 said:

Not sure how anyone can post a thorough review when the game is barely playable, if you can even login, most hours of the day.

Idk if you just have awful luck but most of the time I didn't have very many issues playing when I wanted to. Honestly the latest DDOS attacks have caused the most problems for me and trying to play.
    mgilbrtsnOzmodan
  • JackieRyderJackieRyder Member UncommonPosts: 145
    premium status on a sandbox game lol
    UNH0LYEV1L
  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Cons:

Leveling in higher tears is grindy

Cry while play?
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    LOL @ System. Spelled the word "Wrong" wrong. It should read "Sandbox done WRONG". Early game it will not be evident, but once you get to Tier 6+ your freedom is gone.

1. Solo Play is not an Option past T6.
    2. Groups/Guilds are forced if you want to get anywhere in the game.
    3. Better grind LOTS of replacement Gear.
    4. You want the best stuff? You WILL PvP!
    5. Want to lose the best stuff? You have no choice! PvP is a Must.

I have no issue with losing all my gear (UO Pre-trammel), but this game is made to GRIND and Stock up to lose gear and make more gear...Rinse/Repeat.

To those who still like it, I wish you lots of fun. :)

To each their own yes? 

GdemamiKyleranOzmodanFreelancerNDUNH0LYEV1L

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• lorddarkalorddarka Member UncommonPosts: 26
    done right? nothing right about this pos people are like its like uo but prettier. not even close to uo this is garbage designed for a tablet.
    GdemamiKyleranOzmodanpostlarval
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited August 2017
    i just can't do top down fixed camera games anymore, especially mmos......just....nope.
    AlomarOzmodan
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Rhoklaw said:
    I have an unused $100 copy of the founders pack if that's any indication of what I think about this game.
    Why did you waste $100 if you didn't like the game?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Sovrath said:

Rhoklaw said:

I have an unused $100 copy of the founders pack if that's any indication of what I think about this game.

Obviously he backed it then ended up not liking it.
    Ozmodan[Deleted User]
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Avanah said:

1. Solo Play is not an Option past T6.
    2. Groups/Guilds are forced if you want to get anywhere in the game.

I call BS.

I am in a guild, it is my main and my two alts, I play solo all the time.
    I am in a mix of tier 6 and 7 gear, I spend around 60% of my play time in black zones, solo.

Is it easier in a guild/group? probably, but you are by no means forced to group or guild up to get anywhere.
    hfzttKyleranBruceYeeOzmodanTheScavengerMaxBacon

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I don't like that top down view either.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Viper482 said:

Sovrath said:

Rhoklaw said:

IF that's the case then that's where I have a disconnect with all of this. I generally don't give money to things I haven't tried or that there are gray areas that might contribute to me not liking a game.

How much money must players throw away each year?!?!?!
    Xarko
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    edited August 2017

premium status on a sandbox game lol

EVE? Same thing. And in both games, not really an issue. Playing well works so much better than trying to Pay2Win, which mostly will end in tears in full loot games.
    [Deleted User]TaneonNephethKyleranOzmodan
  • TarzanGreenTarzanGreen Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Those founder items were worthless to begin with so no loss there.

IMO anything other than PvP in a group is boring.
    Even that is not so good.
    Ozmodan
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    DO NOT BUY it - at least till October when population will drop: servers are overloaded and go belly up every few hours even without DDoS. And they don't just turn off and on on the same "historical moment" - they often rollback characters for 20-30 minutes and sometimes it happens twice during one hour.
    TarzanGreenrlsmithNephethKyleranOzmodan

Thank you for your time!

• joezhudarakjoezhudarak Member UncommonPosts: 32
    i rarelly have issues playing Albion, i can log in every night and play, maybe i´m a lucky guy
    forcelimarlsmithKyleranBruceYeeOzmodanpostlarval
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Weeee, that sweet fresh honeymoon smell...

I wonder how things will be another month or so from now.
    Ozmodan
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

ARPG combat in an MMO?  Nah, I'm good.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:

Sovrath said:

Rhoklaw said:

IF that's the case then that's where I have a disconnect with all of this. I generally don't give money to things I haven't tried or that there are gray areas that might contribute to me not liking a game.

How much money must players throw away each year?!?!?!
    I bought in last year,  purchased the lowest  tier to try it out and currently am holding on playing until things stabilize.

As I could upgrade at any time to a higher tier I saw  no advantage to spending more until I tried it.

I had a bit of fun but as I play for mostly for progression I set it aside until after launch.

I was able to determine it wasn't a game I'd want to invest more into, at least until it went live when I would definitely pay for premium.

If I really got into it multiple accounts are definitely on the table if I can see clear benefit to doing so.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Silentman0116Silentman0116 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    this game was fun until i got to T5 stuff. and found out that there is 0 PVE past T4 because you are forced to PVP to even continue in the game to get to the 2nd half of tiers. 8 tiers but pve goes to 4....shit game.
    Ozmodanpostlarval
    i cant believe i even forgot about how premium status is per character not your account. so alts which is a must to have for farms you are fucked because your gonna have to pay per character.
    Ozmodan
    EVE online sucks ballz. pay us money to train skills to fly ships next year. lmfao that game is a joke.
    KyleranGdemamiOzmodanpostlarval