Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For your prefered indie MMORPG, do you prefer WoW clones, UO clones, or something different?

blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
edited August 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I'm still looking for the something different category... I'm not a big fan of survival games though I do like some of the game mechanics.  Most of the indies that I get into these days, for the past couple years have all been WoW or UO clones... it's my shame while waiting for SC to launch.

If you've found a sweet indie MMORPG that doesn't fit into the WoW or UO clone category and has mechanics that you can really sink your teeth into, let me know!

WoW clones, UO clones, or something different?
  1. Do you prefer WoW clones, UO clones, or something different?25 votes
    1. WoW clone
      20.00%
    2. UO clone
      20.00%
    3. something different
      60.00%

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Vendetta Online.

Stop waiting for a twitch-based space MMO game and start playing one! 
    PhryHarikenLynxJSA

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    What UO clones are out there, besides maybe Albion? This debate is getting old, I think you are just tired of MMOs. 
    TheScavenger
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I don't play any indie MMOs. 

But, I'm eagerly awaiting Camelot Unchained, so that would fall into the "something different" category. 
    blorpykinspantaro
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I don't look for any specific "clones". If the game has some things that appeal to me, I'll give it a shot and judge it on its own merits. This whole outlook is probably what's killing MMOs for a lot of people. They seem to be incapable of not immediately going "ZOMG, X clone!" about every game out there.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177
    I tend to look for UO/SWG type clones:  worlds moreso than "games".  The problem is that after two decades I have yet to find an indie company that is competent or capable of building and/or maintaining such a world.

Eve is close, and I really like it and have played it for years, but it satisfies a different set of "wants" in an MMORPG setting.

As a total aside, does anyone find it comical that MMORPG is flagged as a misspelling on this site? LOL
    ManWithNoTan

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    I loved World of Warcraft and played it for many years, but if I wanted to play an MMO like WoW; I'd resub and play WoW.

I think 'indie mmorpgs' or mmorpgs that target specific niche preferences (PVE Only, OWPVP, etc) are the future of the genre. Right now, there are no indie mmorpgs that look interesting to me.

It's great to see the genre break out of its pen-n-paper roots in terms of game mechanics, but somewhere along the line; they lost the art of character development. Heck, The Division uses itemization to offer better character development than a lot of mmorpgs.

Anyway, I'll spare everyone my full rant, and just say I'm looking for something different.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    How about some indie go absolutely nuts and try to clone and better Asheron's Call?
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    What would I like... How about a dev team passionate about what they are creating as a start?
    TyranusPrimeLoke666
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Why would I want a far cheaper copy of Wow? If I wanted to play Wow I would play Wow and no indie game can really make Wow better. 

There are so much potential to create unique fun MMOs, while high budget copies of Wow have failed for the last decade. A low budget copy will not succeed where the others failed.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Still waiting for that Traveller/Space Opera type MMO, until then, i guess i will carry on playing BDO/Eve etc. :/
    BitterClinger
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited August 2017
    There are NO UO clones .............

ohh and go try Project Gorgon .. may be what you are looking for

Amaranthar
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    centkin said:
    How about some indie go absolutely nuts and try to clone and better Asheron's Call?
    I wish.
    centkin said:
    Project Gorgon is made by some AC devs , it also a guild of folks that are from AC .. It does have some excellent features .. and depth ..Its not often a game can blend OPen Class system , Lore and crafting into an immersive an unique world ..,,Just as AC ,UO , and AO,did this before , Project Gorgon is well on its way to accomplishing this , Providing an in depth challenging  immersive world
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Scorchien said:

Mortal online tried... No good UO clones you mean.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I do not like WoW clones...I like WoW
     No , i know exactly what i mean , There are none ..

MO trying and failing .......................Still leave NONE
    Amaranthar
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    One of the theoretical things that indie development brings to the table is the ability to innovate and think outside the box. Why would I want a clone of anything to come out of that?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited August 2017
    Vendetta Online.

People seem to forget about this game. But it has everything their looking for right now if you like games like this.
    Phaserlight
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    For games to just be called games again. There are subjectively good, and subjectively bad. When I think indie I think anything that isn't made by a big well known company. Both are capable of outputting the same thing at varying degrees of time. 

With the millions of games out there today. Pick one and have at it? Who cares if it's a clone or original. 
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited August 2017
    I prefer original games. Of course any game borrows some features, and of those features my ideal MMO would borrow more heavily from EVE than WoW but overall I don't want to play a game that I've already played before again with nothing but a reskin and some minor tweaks to set it apart.

If it's a "clone" that immediately lowers my interest by quite a bit.

Who cares if it's a clone or original. 
    I do. If it isn't original why would I choose it over the game it's trying to imitate? The original has had more time to work out all it's kinks and bugs. And every major MMO since SWTOR looks good enough the graphics aren't going to be a major selling point to me. If there are no major distinguishing gameplay features, what is even the point in making the game?

I'm not going to let developers waste my money giving me something I can already play. They can make it, but I won't pay for it.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    If you're going to "suffer" though an indie game...  You better have a good reason to do it, which means there is probably something different about it you REALLY like.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Hariken said:
    Vendetta Online.

People seem to forget about this game. But it has everything their looking for right now if you like games like this.
    I agree; it has quite a cult following, as well.  It's worth a look at least if you are at all a fan of the genre.

"...but how's the population, Phaserlight?"

Glad you asked, other me.  Large enough to keep things interesting in-game, small enough that you really get to know people, too small to create much ambient buzz across the net.

It does a lot of things right, and I feel like the developers are people I know (I've actually had the chance to meet John Bergman on-ground).  I used to appreciate it mostly for the combat, then as a palette to try my programming/writing skills, now more as a virtual business arena.

...it's funny how many seem to view Star Citizen as the second-coming among a dearth of physics-based space combat MMORPGs, when there has been one running continuously since before Freelancer released.  I wonder how many of those waiting for SC aren't going to find what they really want when it does (hopefully) leap out of the gate.

It's been an interesting 14 years, at any rate.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Scorchien said:

I agree, and the UO design is the best in my opinion.
    But it had problems.
    And now it's not only old, but changed from the original concept quite a bit.

You know, I want that concept done better, filled out, and modernized. But the additions I'd prefer would change it to some degree.
    In the sense of:
    -adding races and unique lore to them (to run side by side with the new game's human lore), which would change the "feel" from UO to a degree.
    -adding a bit higher level of fantasy
    ---things like that.

But the core concepts of:
    -skill based system,
    -freedom,
    -open world access,
    -"items on the ground", player written books, examining items, worldly interactions, etc.,
    -player housing in the open world and land/location value,
    -social interaction regardless of skill level,
    -player driven content,
    -worldwide storylines and plots based on lore,
    -economic trade,
    -rares (only done intentionally, heh)
    -open PvP (but I'd want to see deterrents)
    -whatever I'm forgetting
    those things are the basis of the concept that made it so great, and those are what's needed.

Basically, take the original UO and fix and expand what they had.

PvP, there's needs to be some sort of system to reduce rampant PKing but WITHOUT removing the ability to attack anyone-anywhere.
    That sounds impossible but it's really not.
    There's ways but you have to make a player suffer the consequences.

Which reminds me of how GMs have ALWAYS taken the PKer gamer's side and not done that.
    And also reminds me why, in large part, I don't play MMO's anymore. GM's and their buddies.

Raph Koster, do you really think those were "unfixable bugs"?
    They lied to you, and you were their sucker.

Don't even get me started on "real money trade" (morphed into cash shops and secret auctions) and GM complicity.

What a mess, this gaming is.

Once upon a time....

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    I prefer good games. Whether the game is a MMO is immaterial. 
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    What UO clones are out there, besides maybe Albion? This debate is getting old, I think you are just tired of MMOs. 
    I simply don't see the similarity between those two games. Albion is far more like WOW than UO. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?