Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nintendo sells 2.4 million Switch consoles worldwide in first month, above original forecast

DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
https://venturebeat.com/2017/04/14/superdata-nintendo-sells-2-4-million-switch-consoles-worldwide-in-first-month/

This is a strong start for the Switch, which is good news for Nintendo following the disappointing Wii U. That dead console has lifetime sales of 13.56 million since launching in 2012. If the Switch can manage 7.2 million in 2017, it’ll be halfway to matching its predecessor in just one year.

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Knowing them, it's likely that they'll discontinue production since it's so popular and high in demand.
    MrMelGibson
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited April 2017
    It's all thanks to one game alright. Switch is out of stock too I hear.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

kitarad said:

Yup, still out of stock in the Netherlands, since launch. 

• PanzerDragoonWorldPanzerDragoonWorld Member CommonPosts: 6
    edited August 2017
    kitarad said:
    You all try to find reasons to bash the console and brand but guys, I bought it and discovered - as many others - a new way of gaming.
    Of course it can be played on the go, which I only started doing after having completed 90% of Zelda docked.
    But more importantly it creates a unique bond when on the go.
    You can just start a Mario Kart with friends on a plane from Paris to New York.
    You can start a game docked and continue on the go.
    You can play 'small' games with touch screen, play in bed and so on...
    Overall, if I had to loose something between my PS4 pro and Switch, I would loose the PS4. 
    Hell Yes ! especially when you are a professional on the go, who travels !

So take a step back guys, it is not only because of ONE game.
    The concept is great, the finish is great, I like the pop colors.
    The PS4 is so boring in its black finish.
    Games:
    Arms is fun.
    Splatoon 2 is fun.
    Mario Kart is fun.
    Mario Kingdom will be great.
    Skyrim on the go wow ! And I never played the game before, double wow !

PS is starting to become pretentious and that's not good for creativity !
    MrMelGibson
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    DMKano said:
    Zelda Breath of the wild is the real reason for such strong sales.
    Of course, hardware sell because of games. Same thing with GFX cards as consoles, when something new and good comes out and run poorly on old hardware people upgrade.

VRs so far less impressive sales depends on the fact that so few good games support it or is custom made for it. Or it is the least the reason I havn't bought a Vive yet.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    The console doesn't click with me but all peoples here all hypes about it, so it works :)
  • PanzerDragoonWorldPanzerDragoonWorld Member CommonPosts: 6
    edited August 2017
    Loke666 said:
    DMKano said:
    Zelda Breath of the wild is the real reason for such strong sales.
    Of course, hardware sell because of games. Same thing with GFX cards as consoles, when something new and good comes out and run poorly on old hardware people upgrade.

VRs so far less impressive sales depends on the fact that so few good games support it or is custom made for it. Or it is the least the reason I havn't bought a Vive yet.

Yes but the hardware also influence how games are going to be designed. Cooperation mode should be used even more coz it can be a gret tool to promote the games.
    Example: On Mario Odyssey, you can play in coop, well you probably wont do the full game in coop but if your friend like the coop mode enough, he might buy a switch, considering how fun it can be.
    And that's smart, they should offer that more often in (solo) games.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Congrats to Nintendo!

Whilst I have no desire to buy a switch, I am a big fan of Nintendo and I do own a Wii U (which I bought in anticipation of Zelda, only for the game to be delayed another 1.5 years...)

There are two things that have always drawn me to Nintendo:

1) Splitscreen Games - my opinion has always been that if you're going to do "serious" gaming, do it on a PC. But if you want to have fun with mates, get a console. Sadly, Playstation and Microsoft seem to have completely lost interest in splitscreen games over the last few generations so there is no point in getting their consoles, but Nintendo remain committed to it. So, combined with the cheaper price of the hardware, it still seems to be the best bet for chilling with mates. 

2) Exclusives - Nintendo have stuck to their own range of exclusives. Whilst most are quite childish, they all seem completely different to what is on offer on the other platforms. Between my Wii U and PC, I feel I have the vast majority of the market covered. 

I tried looking up initial sales figures for XBO and PS4 but they're a little hard to track down (well, im a bit lazy). XBO sold 1m units in first 24 hours, then reached 2m units by day 18 and 3m by week 6, so seems roughly comparable to the switch. Considering the XBO was the fastest selling console of all time for month one, that's a pretty good achievement for the switch!

I'd love to see some sort of breakdown of sales per territory for the switch. My initial prediction for the switch was that it would sell moderately well but that it's handheld nature would mean it lacked staying power in the west and that sales / software would be primarily driven by Japan and other parts of Asia. 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Currently 5 million units sold, they'll hit 7.2 easily with the holidays coming and availability on the rise. Loving mine (and not because of that 'one' game).

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer