Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria - A Delayed Concern - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    Why are they making two games? Trying to make a minecraft styled mud on top of their main project seems like a horrible idea.
    Like I pointed out, the game is heavy 'back-end focused' so I guess they believe it will allow them to work on the back-end while their art assets for the main game builds up.
    They aren't just making 2 games.. They have the MUD.. they also have the Kingdoms of Elyria game.. then they also have the "Prelude" which was promised close to the Kickstarter.. still not out.. and has recently been announced as having DLC available to make it a multiplayer game and even more DLC packs for the DLC announced to add things like creatures etc...

GdemamiOctagon7711

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    I remember an interview about Ultima Online where they thought it'd be as easy as giving a MUD graphics, but soon were proven horribly wrong, and that it turned out that there are like a truckton of pitfalls and complications that trying to give it a graphical engine entailed.

Too bad I don't remember specifics though.  Ultima Online and thus that interview aren't exactly the youngest things around.
    francis_baud
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    Why are they making two games? Trying to make a minecraft styled mud on top of their main project seems like a horrible idea.
    Like I pointed out, the game is heavy 'back-end focused' so I guess they believe it will allow them to work on the back-end while their art assets for the main game builds up.
    They aren't just making 2 games.. They have the MUD.. they also have the Kingdoms of Elyria game.. then they also have the "Prelude" which was promised close to the Kickstarter.. still not out.. and has recently been announced as having DLC available to make it a multiplayer game and even more DLC packs for the DLC announced to add things like creatures etc...

Its clear they are making things to sell in order to fund the main title.

What heck, better than selling Devs hair, blood, semen or running begathons. ;)
    blorpykinsAzaron_Nightblade

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:

Its clear they are making things to sell in order to fund the main title.

What heck, better than selling Devs hair, blood, semen or running begathons. ;)
    We still have a few years to go...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Stopped reading after the first paragraph. Couldn't tell if this was supposed to be meant in jest or what but I'm not going to waste my time reading articles on a web site authored by someone I couldn't consider professional.
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Kyleran said:
    Avanah said:
    Kyleran said:
    Avanah said:
    Speculation! Nothing more.
    Marvellous, and right on cue too.

Ditto.
    Well we prophets and visionaries usually show up to the party early, especially when we get the opportunity to say "we told you so."

We'll still be here in 2018 and 2019, so there's a shot for a rematch.

Well said. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    Yeah since your not needing graphics point ended up being completely uninformed I'm totally, absolutely, positively sure you know what you're talking about now.

KEK
    Slapshot1188Gdemami

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    In 2017 the world seems more about talking about things instead of doing things.
    [Deleted User]
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Fully expected. People like to take cheap shots at SC and its devs over how long it's taking to release, and then somehow expect another team to miraculously do it in a fraction of the time SC is doing it.

None of the more ambitious KS MMOs are going to launch anywhere near their projected launch dates. And I suspect their devs know it as well, but outright saying so from the start would dissuade people from pledging. :P

So you are saying it is ok to say things you know to be untrue in order to get money? By any chance are you working in politics?
    Gdemami[Deleted User]craftseeker
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Talonsin said:

Fully expected. People like to take cheap shots at SC and its devs over how long it's taking to release, and then somehow expect another team to miraculously do it in a fraction of the time SC is doing it.

None of the more ambitious KS MMOs are going to launch anywhere near their projected launch dates. And I suspect their devs know it as well, but outright saying so from the start would dissuade people from pledging. :P

So you are saying it is ok to say things you know to be untrue in order to get money? By any chance are you working in politics?
    Nah, I'm saying all these KS projects are pretty much the same when it comes to these things.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Nah, I'm saying all these KS projects are pretty much the same when it comes to these things.
    Yeah from Indies taking large projects they'll always badly estimate stuff, and go through struggles, especially those trying to develop one MMO.

This one, Ashes of Creation (just wait for its delay), such small teams to undertake big ambitions.
    [Deleted User]
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    I think you may be right about that last part... as a software developer (though not in games) I am very wary of management that sets unrealistic timelines, and the initial timeline for CoE was well down the 'Impossible' end of the scale.

PS. I would even rate this 1 year delay as 'Highly Unrealistic', and would not be surprised at all if further delays are announced (assuming they don’t just push out a half-baked ‘launch’ version and / or label it ‘early access’ for the next 3+ years).
    KyleranSlapshot1188Gdemami[Deleted User]DiegoMarquez
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    By the time this game gets released it will already be outdated.
    Ozmodan

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    My overriding feeling about game forums is that they are little more than PvP by other means. Reading the posts by some authors it is so clear that they are engaging in a dick-waving contest. And as usual, once they get their dicks out, they just can't put them away. This is the primary dynamic in almost all gaming forums. No one is immune; everyone who games and participates in gaming forums does it to one degree or another.

While most PvP is impersonal and over quickly, some forum PvPers take it to the level of griefing. When you read Caspian's detailed post and then the asinine responses, the entitled jerk-offs pronouncing victory by verb, you realize that transparency in gaming is a mistake. Blizzard figured this out a decade ago and simply stopped telling their fans anything about anything except in very discrete, carefully controlled communications. Nobody likes it; but they don't care. They don't have to; they're Blizzard.

From my years behind the scenes in Human Resources, I have one iron-clad dictum: You never, ever know what is really going on. I could tell you stories of people who were fired for outrageous actions only to be told by someone who knows nothing about it a complete and utter fabrication of what really happened. Frequently. In other words, people just made assumptions based on what they thought they knew about what happened and were completely wrong, not even close, not even in the ballpark.

I experienced this so many times that it seems to me to be a universal truth of humanity. Even when you tell someone straight out they are wrong, they won't believe you because they absolutely know better. Doesn't matter. They're convinced. And yet, always, always, what was really going on was never known.

Gaming is no different. Even when a developer takes the time to write a lengthy description of his mistakes, his thinking, the unexpected problems he's faced, an explanation of how project management works, the inherent problems in same, and the messy business of life that affects all. It simply doesn't matter. We gamers know better. We know what's really going on.

Because in forum PvP, you never give ground unless you're a loser. You always want to be the guy who puts his dick away last.
    GdemamiIselinPhaserlight[Deleted User]StaalBurgher
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Cazriel said:

Gaming is no different. Even when a developer takes the time to write a lengthy description of his mistakes, his thinking, the unexpected problems he's faced, an explanation of how project management works, the inherent problems in same, and the messy business of life that affects all. It simply doesn't matter. We gamers know better. We know what's really going on.

And those lengthy descriptions are of course, always the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, aren't they?

Sorry but I just got through watching a great documentary about Russian state-sponsored doping and I saw a lot of earnest sounding officials tell lengthy well crafted lies, or "alternative facts" if you prefer the new terminology.
    Gdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Cazriel said:
    My overriding feeling about game forums is that they are little more than PvP by other means. Reading the posts by some authors it is so clear that they are engaging in a dick-waving contest. And as usual, once they get their dicks out, they just can't put them away. This is the primary dynamic in almost all gaming forums. No one is immune; everyone who games and participates in gaming forums does it to one degree or another.

While most PvP is impersonal and over quickly, some forum PvPers take it to the level of griefing. When you read Caspian's detailed post and then the asinine responses, the entitled jerk-offs pronouncing victory by verb, you realize that transparency in gaming is a mistake. Blizzard figured this out a decade ago and simply stopped telling their fans anything about anything except in very discrete, carefully controlled communications. Nobody likes it; but they don't care. They don't have to; they're Blizzard.

From my years behind the scenes in Human Resources, I have one iron-clad dictum: You never, ever know what is really going on. I could tell you stories of people who were fired for outrageous actions only to be told by someone who knows nothing about it a complete and utter fabrication of what really happened. Frequently. In other words, people just made assumptions based on what they thought they knew about what happened and were completely wrong, not even close, not even in the ballpark.

I experienced this so many times that it seems to me to be a universal truth of humanity. Even when you tell someone straight out they are wrong, they won't believe you because they absolutely know better. Doesn't matter. They're convinced. And yet, always, always, what was really going on was never known.

Because in forum PvP, you never give ground unless you're a loser. You always want to be the guy who puts his dick away last.
    I'm not sure what your bottom line is.
    The critics are wrong because they don't know what happened behind the scenes even though they called this scenario long ago?

You also seem to have a slight obsession with penises...
    KyleranGdemamiSlapshot1188IselincraftseekerDiegoMarquez
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    Cazriel said:

I'm not sure what your bottom line is.
    The critics are wrong because they don't know what happened behind the scenes even though they called this scenario long ago?

You also seem to have a slight obsession with penises...
    Clearly Cazriel doesn't know what's really going on, yet sees fit to talk down to the rest of us.

What the hell, "Boom, Headshot."

GdemamiSlapshot1188

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited August 2017
    Torval said:
    I think with more experience comes generally better timeline projections. It also depends on how many project variables they can nail down early on.

Remember Planet Explorers? It was one of the earlier KS games. I pledged on 04/20/2013, it was officially released in December of 2016, and I just got my physical Blu-Ray copy a few days ago. Pathea has been great through the whole process. They've learned a lot and shared that so the entire experience has been enlightening.

I just want to point out that this has happened in most every development project I've followed, crowd-funded or otherwise. I strongly suggest people don't jump into projects early if that sort of thing bothers them.
    It's usually about experience indeed. And having a proper setup from the ground-updup, companies that already have established dev teams, in-house engines, etc...  have a better standing than a few peeps going on KS saying "we want to create this next-gen MMO!".

And agreed people should consider this when jumping early into projects under-dev, I see people going mad every time this happens and it always happens so it's like one should already have that expectation in the first place.
    [Deleted User]
    Cazriel said:

Here are some indisputable FACTS for you:

• Kickstarter launched with a roughly 18 month timeline to launch game
    • Developer was told it's highly doubtful they can create a game in that timeframe
    • Developer responds making fun of his own customers for daring to criticize his timeline because they haven't seen his gantt chart
    • Game is delayed by more than a year
    • Developers post announcing the delay actually never even apologizes for it. Instead he blames the community for asking so many questions that it took more of his time than planned and he blames the prospective employees for not having materialized fast enough.
    • Developer has not offered refunds even though he is unable to deliver the product even remotely in the timeframe expected.
    If any of those are incorrect please point it out and I will either refute you or correct them.  If not, how about you apologize?
    GdemamicraftseekerKyleranDiegoMarquez

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited August 2017
    You can't sell a highly successful KS on a 5 year wait for an MVP.

If humanity holds true to itself, it's highly likely the above statement is the number one reason for the pie-in-the-sky promises of revolutionary MMORPG built seemingly overnight.

I've mentioned elsewhere: it took less than a 1st generation of crowdfunded video game releases for lots of folks to realize they could generate lots of quote-unquote donations to their pet projects by simply promising the world in 7 days.
    [Deleted User]IselinGdemamiMendel

TimEisen said:
    I think we are starting to see a crowd funded truth emerge.  <snip>

TLDR; From a KS to a ever shifting deadline crowd funded MMOs feel more like gas light machines than game making journeys. The problem lies within the age old battle between a sales pitch and reality lol.

Then again Ashes just set a funding record by not doing anything like I said so what do I know?
    Ashes is either the first exception to the rule or the best case of smoke and mirrors witnessed to date.

;)
    francis_baud

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    TimEisen said:

Having followed games for as long as I have I don't think most devs intentionally misslead, I think they believe themselves and the staff they ask for estimates. That is another thing people don't often consider. A studio is getting a deadline based on numerous people's input on individual systems time estimations. The problem there is "when your boss asks you a question, you better not disappoint them". They are so deep on their projects they sometimes see them less clearly than some fans do.

I find it hard to believe that ALL MMORPG KS projects delude themselves into believing they are the ones who will set the world record for fastest development in history.

The simpler answer as @MadFrenchie said above is that they know full well they're underestimating the time and lie about it deliberately.
    Slapshot1188GdemamiMadFrenchieKyleranNildenMendel
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited August 2017
    Iselin said:
    TimEisen said:

Having followed games for as long as I have I don't think most devs intentionally misslead, I think they believe themselves and the staff they ask for estimates. That is another thing people don't often consider. A studio is getting a deadline based on numerous people's input on individual systems time estimations. The problem there is "when your boss asks you a question, you better not disappoint them". They are so deep on their projects they sometimes see them less clearly than some fans do.

I find it hard to believe that ALL MMORPG KS projects delude themselves into believing they are the ones who will set the world record for fastest development in history.

The simpler answer as @MadFrenchie said above is that they know full well they're underestimating the time and lie about it deliberately.
    And then sell pledge packages based on the hype created by these unrealistic timelines.  They use an argument from authority, painting themselves as a well-planned business venture that already has the road to release plotted.  Most don't.

But, because they have resources to build pretty design docs and screenshots/videos made exclusively to legitimize an unrealistically scheduled and budgeted vision, folks will continue to fall for it.
    Slapshot1188Gdemami[Deleted User]IselinKyleranNildenMendel

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    So the take away here is:

Don't give dates.

It's done when it's done.
    Gdemami

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nilden said:
    So the take away here is:

Don't give dates.

It's done when it's done.
    I think the takeaway is don't mock your customers when they question your unrealistic timeline and when you inevitably have to come back and announce a huge delay you should lead with an apology and not blame the community for asking too many questions which consumed your time or prospective employee for not realizing how fantastic your offer was.

[Deleted User]Gdemami