Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark and Light - Early Access Impressions - It's Rough Right Now, But There's Hope - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Finish games before releasing them please !! Early Access should mean, game is ready to play without so many dam bugs.

No it doesn't. Early Access means you are most definitely about to play a buggy version, filled with unfinished business. This is just a normal (nowadays) business practice to allow income while they work on the game. So basically, you pay for an unfinished game and that's on you lol. 

Blame the consumers for this mate because free money is free money

Right at the top of the game it says:
    Early Access Game
    Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.
    Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development.

So they tell you, this game is not complete. Then they say it may be best for you to wait. I think that's plenty clear.
    SovrathConstantineMerus

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I guess I am the only one that liked DnL! I thoroughly overjoyed myself on Sunday on a PvPvE server - they did patch a few times this weekend, so maybe that's why my experience was smoother. I didn't encounter any major issues - lag seemed minimal (played on a server that was pretty much always 40/40). I had no crashes, no glitches, loading took about 45 seconds, so not sure where the 5-10 minutes came from! I played on all Epic settings, except shadows I put at High. I had no berries from sheep, only hide, bone, and meat. The skill system is really awesome as I love not having to choose a path based on limited skill points... just using skills to level them was awesome. Music and atmosphere were great. I love the meteorites that drop items and enemies.

I also played Citadel and thought there was a lot of potential there. That game definitely felt much more Early Access than DnL though. You can easily troll people and take their kingdoms (brought me back to the days of Reign of Kings a bit). Melee is pointless currently. The wand is OK, but sucks in PvP. The staff is the only good choice for weapon path currently. Their building system is really bad, flying is pretty sweet and there is a lot of mana management. Overall, I liked it and felt it was different enough I likely will get it after a few patches.

I personally would recommend checking out both DnL and Citadel!

You are not alone and have to remember what site we are on lol. 
    One of the last bastions of rational free thought in a sea of mediocrity? 

"Never compromise, not even in the face of Armageddon."

B)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• avaktaravaktar Member CommonPosts: 1
    Once you choose your server, the next time you login you can choose to only display servers with characters. I initially chose my server based on ping time. I've been having a good time building, figuring out what I need to do to not die of thirst, building houses and shelters and getting murdered by crazy tall skeletons. I love the day/night mechanism and the limited tools you have for dealing with the dark.

There's some funny physics, like once you kill something, the corpses seem subject to some heavy rag-doll physics and keep twitching and sliding around on the ground. The main frustration for me after many days of play is the terrain geometry collisions. Going uphill is not smooth and you get blocked on seemingly shallow angles quite frequently. In all fairness, so do the MOBS, which sometimes prevents them from running and allows you to hack them to death with a sword.

Animal and enemy levels are strange and seem meaningless. At level 8 I could kill a level 40 sheep or level 40 wolf by just pounding at it and maybe getting lucky. So the levels don't make much sense. Also, you can't see what level something is until you're basically right on top of it.

Overall, I'm going to keep playing. I'm having a ton of fun building houses and constructing defenses and that in itself reminds me a bit of A Tale in the Desert from way back. For early access, I think it's a good time and I've gotten my money's worth.
    TokkenKyleranOctagon7711
  • HexcaliberHexcaliber Member UncommonPosts: 171
    edited July 2017

"It is rough right now, but there is hope"; a game that began development back in 2003? Hope you say, bloody miracle I say.

This is nothing more than a reboot of the game first released by Farlan back in June 2006, they even use the same logo. After the failed launch in 2006, Farlan signed with Snailgame to sort out the graphics, offered existing users 3 months sub free but after a lawsuit by Vworld it seemed to disappear without a trace.

11 years on and in play it looks like a second rate 6 year old game that is still plagued with issues.

I had the opportunity to catch up with a dev in a live stream on twitch. Not surprisingly they completely ignored the question of why it has taken 11 years to get to this point and is still a mess; they promptly made their excuses and left the stream.

Kyleran

My Colour Is Vomit green, I puke on the tards with stupid colour sigs. My symbol is ,,!, O ,!,, My enemies are any prat with a colour sig, a meaningless personality test, or a pointless list of games and classes.

Regards Hexcaliber

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479

This is nothing more than a reboot of the game first released by Farlan back in June 2006, they even use the same logo. 

I think they've redone the whole game actually. It has little to do with the MMORPG released in 2006 by Farlan. At that time they were using the Mafate engine, and now it's running on Unreal 4. They've kept the name and some of the original design elements.

KyleranOctagon7711
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Sovrath said:

Daakkon said:

This should've been an MMO and it needs more time in the oven. I'd still probably buy it when it's more fleshed out but, i'm still disappointed in their decision to make it a survival game.

Well, it is early access. I'm not sure why this still surprises people? On steam there is also a disclaimer saying as much.

I swear, once again, gamerz make their own hells.

I'm sure if people go into it expecting an "early in development" game/experience they will have a more tempered opinion.

Early access isn't a catch all for crap. If the game is bordering on for real actual unplayability, then it needed more development before being released into EA. A borderline minimum for EA should be that the game is actually playable. Conan Exiles is a good example. It had some optimization issues, nothing ridiculous, a few annoying bugs here and there, but nothing that made it unplayable. However it had/has next to no content. That's a true EA.

As I understand it the state of this game is that it should still be an a VERY early Alpha with internal functionality play testing only. It's in the state that if this were a AAA dev like Blizzard or whatever, the only people "playing" it would be coders and devs, etc, on internal servers with half a dozen to a dozen people.

Too many companies are using EA as an excuse for a quasi capital injection to keep developing a game. The game has to be playable for people to test it and submit feedback and such. Taking 8-10 tries to get into a game at 10minutes of loading time on a high end PC and then having it crash, etc etc, is not a playable/testable state and it absolutely should not have been released into EA in this state.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Hrimnir said:

Sovrath said:

Daakkon said:

This should've been an MMO and it needs more time in the oven. I'd still probably buy it when it's more fleshed out but, i'm still disappointed in their decision to make it a survival game.

Well, it is early access. I'm not sure why this still surprises people? On steam there is also a disclaimer saying as much.

I'm sure if people go into it expecting an "early in development" game/experience they will have a more tempered opinion.

Early access isn't a catch all for crap. If the game is bordering on for real actual unplayability, then it needed more development before being released into EA.
    Well, I played 3 hours already and will do another 30 minutes tonight.

It's not unplayable by any stretch of the imagination.
    Octagon7711
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Caved in and bought it. Very early impressions are actually quite favourable. I am used to EA games and on the 'roughness and unfinished' scale it rates somewhere around Project: Genom and The Black Death. Most certainly playable and definitely not a cheap and easy cash in.

As far as the Ark comparisons go, on my system Ark was barely playable at low and this game runs solid on medium, I don't know about higher settings but at medium its rather well optimised. I also despised the sci fi dino setting in Ark and much prefer this one.

As said, very early impressions but I don't think I'll hit the refund button like I expected I would.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

SavageHorizonfrancis_baudKyleranMikehaTokkenOctagon7711
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    lahnmir said:
    Caved in and bought it. Very early impressions are actually quite favourable. I am used to EA games and on the 'roughness and unfinished' scale it rates somewhere around Project: Genom and The Black Death. Most certainly playable and definitely not a cheap and easy cash in.

As far as the Ark comparisons go, on my system Ark was barely playable at low and this game runs solid on medium, I don't know about higher settings but at medium its rather well optimised. I also despised the sci fi dino setting in Ark and much prefer this one.

As said, very early impressions but I don't think I'll hit the refund button like I expected I would.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Agree but as always you have to remember what site we are on. 

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    Early Access complainers obviously don't read the warnings. They must just see a marketing trailer and click the buy button. I really think Steam and the gaming community in general needs to ditch the "Early Access" nomenclature and change it to something like "Unfinished, Development, Bug Hunting". Doesn't roll off the tongue though. There might be less complaining from ill-informed kids though.

For all you people thinking Early Access titles should be nearly bug free, please please please educate yourself! http://store.steampowered.com/earlyaccessfaq/

Early Access games are unfinished, buggy, and still very early in development. Many Early Access games are what would have been called Alpha in the past. Before buying an Early Access title ask yourself this, "Do I want to pay a developer to WORK (without getting paid) for them by finding bugs in their game that's not ready to go to retail for quite some time?"

Don't want a game with bugs and that shouldn't be released yet? Do NOT buy an Early Access game. Want a game with no bugs? Wait a few months to a year AFTER a game is officially released.

Oh who am I kidding... Just keep sounding like idiots complaining that Early Access games "shouldn't have released in this condition". *sigh*
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I have a good computer so it's hard to say what it would be like on "regular" computers on the highest settings.

I am running it on the highest settings and it "runs like butter" EXCEPT every now and then, doesn't happen often but it does happen, I get get a sort of "freeze" as if the game is going to crash. More like a hiccup. Then it passes and the game runs well again.
    KyleranOctagon7711

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    to be frank i think shoehorning the survival/building aspect into the game presented them with some problems they were not ready for. I would even be fine with a version of the game that has it removed. there is a ton of potential in this game..the clowns deriding it as an ark clone really need to get their heads out of their holes and breathe some fresh air

so say we all

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Daakkon said:
    Sovrath said:
    Daakkon said:

I am not bitching that it's in EA? I am bitching that this was originally an MMO and was butchered into a survival game. I love the premise and what they have going on, but I think it would fit better as an MMO. 
    D&L was nothing let alone an MMORPG.. It was a completely failed project, whatever they've done with it, it's not that "game" ( I use that word very loosely ) that released eons ago and quickly closed shop.

Why be mad about something that was never anything to begin with? Aside from one of the bigger lessons on ethics within MMO dev studios of course. 
    [Deleted User]

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

edited July 2017
    cylon8 said:
    to be frank i think shoehorning the survival/building aspect into the game presented them with some problems they were not ready for. I would even be fine with a version of the game that has it removed. there is a ton of potential in this game..the clowns deriding it as an ark clone really need to get their heads out of their holes and breathe some fresh air
    I really like the survival/building part a lot. I died from no sleep (can't figure out where to sleep and haven't reached level 10 yet so I can make a bedroll).

I also like that it was "cold" and I had to warm up. To me these are all positives. I would even go as far as to say I "only" ever want my mmorpg's to have these features.

As a point of note, I have mods added to skyrim where I have to eat and sleep.
    Mikeha

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Sovrath said:
    cylon8 said:
    I really like the survival/building part a lot. I died from no sleep (can't figure out where to sleep and haven't reached level 10 yet so I can make a bedroll).

I also like that it was "cold" and I had to warm up. To me these are all positives. I would even go as far as to say I "only" ever want my mmorpg's to have these features.

Flowers regen a bit of sleep.
    SovrathTokken

Dragnelus said:
    Sovrath said:
    cylon8 said:

Flowers regen a bit of sleep.
    Thanks!

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Agree but as always you have to remember what site we are on. 
    The land of enlightenment? 

Perhaps Fantasy Island?

;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Sovrath said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I have a good computer so it's hard to say what it would be like on "regular" computers on the highest settings.

I am running it on the highest settings and it "runs like butter" EXCEPT every now and then, doesn't happen often but it does happen, I get get a sort of "freeze" as if the game is going to crash. More like a hiccup. Then it passes and the game runs well again.
    You reminded me that while many complain of performance issues with new games a great number (not all) of those with problems are not running what I  consider to be an up to date gaming PC.

I find my 3.5 year old gaming laptop exceeds the specs many people are playing on today. In fairness it was almost top of the line at the time of purchase but if it were to choke on higher setting in new games I wouldn't necessarily blame the optimization, especially when you are having few issues it seems.
    SovrathOctagon7711

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

You reminded me that while many complain of performance issues with new games a great number (not all) of those with problems are not running what I  consider to be an up to date gaming PC.

I find my 3.5 year old gaming laptop exceeds the specs many people are playing on today. In fairness it was almost top of the line at the time of purchase but if it were to choke on higher setting in new games I wouldn't necessarily blame the optimization, especially when you are having few issues it seems.
    To be fair, triple A games have terrible optimization upon launch. If most of the complaints are about optimization then this is hell of a game. I'm thinking of getting it too, I just need someone to hold my hand and count to 5. 
    KyleranOctagon7711
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263
    edited July 2017
    I said before, early access is a very dangerous option, it can kill the game before the official release. I see only two reasons for such great risk. Either they needed money to keep going or they needed feedback from the community.
    Either way they took the risk and opened the early access. And so did those who bought it. Now some people are complaining a lot, but they shouldn't. It was obvious the game would be all buggy, incomplete and unpolished. After all Snail said that early access will last about a year, they are very far from finishing. At this point whoever is playing need to very patient and try to help the devs giving feedback and reporting bugs.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Aeander said:

exile01 said:

This is not dark and light, its piece of garbage wanna be cashgrab.

So, in other words, it's Dark and Light.

Dark and Light makes you want to reach for a Black and Tan?
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    Bru7al said:
    I said before, early access is a very dangerous option, it can kill the game before the official release. I see only two reasons for such great risk. Either they needed money to keep going or they needed feedback from the community.
    Either way they took the risk and opened the early access. And so did those who bought it. Now some people are complaining a lot, but they shouldn't. It was obvious the game would be all buggy, incomplete and unpolished. After all Snail said that early access will last about a year, they are very far from finishing. At this point whoever is playing need to very patient and try to help the devs giving feedback and reporting bugs.
    Which game got killed by its early access?
  • Brokengun1987Brokengun1987 Member CommonPosts: 6
    Might give this game a try. While I do like PvE sometimes it gets so boring playing against npc's 24/7. I prefer an MMO that's decent in both PvE/PvP. Who doesn't like competition against other players? Seriously, carebears are killing MMO's.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited July 2017
    Sovrath said:
    cylon8 said:

@Sovrath There are flowers you can eat that bring up your focus and you can make a potion that does the same until you get to 10.  You get the flowers by beating bushes with a sword for some odd reason.  

I think someone said not to eat the berries as they may make you sleepy also, haven't really tested that out yet.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    I predict this as the 2nd huge EPIC FAIL after "NO MANS SKY"

Hype Hype hype for nothing but a bugged game...

Not even my mouse view works with this game after 1st start, thats truly new to me...
    sumdumguy1