Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's Next for Azeroth & WoW? - World of Warcraft Columns

Comments

• VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    ITs time for Blizzard to find a follow up to WoW.
    SBFordsubxaero[Deleted User]TokkenOctagon7711
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    World of Warcraft is dead. At least in terms of being a game with an engaging storyline that keeps me coming back. I've always told my guild mates and friends that the day Blizzard actually has go against and somehow defeat Sargeras that the game will have jumped the shark and become a shit show. (Not that it didn't do that LONG before this point given the horrible time travel expansion and asian themed panda world.)

Anything they present to the player after this expansion with the exception of the 'Void Gods' is going to seem laughably dumb in comparison. There's no longer room for lowly threats. Who gives a shit about a crazy Jaina after you've brought down a DARK TITAN and SARGERAS? How much longer can they keep up the faction based warfare and have it make any sense? It's already stupid. It's going to be that much worse going forward. Blizzard needs a stable of new writers or they need to reboot the story entirely.

At this point it reads and plays like a truly shitty D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder game that has gone on for so long that the players are max level, have all of their stats 30+, magic weapons, and are killing gods on the regular. Most campaigns don't go on that long. Know why? It's boring as shit.
    [Deleted User]Tokken
    I like to complain about games.
  • subxaerosubxaero Member UncommonPosts: 94
    As someone who has played since Vanilla making a WoW 2 always sounded me to me like a terrible terrible idea even untill recently.It was untill the last expansion that made me change my mind.

I honestly think legion was an excellent expansion it made so many things right, rep grind through world quests(made it enjoyable) artifact system.
    - Beautifull levelling system by being able to level up at any region(one of the best implementations in the game)
    -No more stupid garsissons being isolated
    - The raids were also nice.

Everything was going fine untill 3-4 months into the expansion i realised i was utterly bored and for the first time it wasn't the game's fault, i was bored because of the same graphic engine the same rootine and the fact that my chars are 110 lvl currently i was bored of endless end-gaming. I was genuinely bored with WoW for the first time in 13 years.

A reinovated WoW 2 with new graphic engine new landscape,currently doesnt seem like a bad idea to me.
    Tokken
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Whatever they give us and if at least at par with Legion, I will be happy. :-)
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

lahnmir said:

SBFord said:

They are NOT carrying over the artifact weapons?  What common, uncommon, rare, epic, legendary weapons are better than artifact weapons???  LOL  I mean seriously, what is better than Ashbringer?

From what they've said, the appearance of your artifact will carry over for transmog, just not the weapon itself.

And this, this right here is the reason I am done with WoW. Farms in Pandaria? Cancelled in the next expansion. Garrisons in WoD? Cancelled in the next expansion. Artifact weapons in Legion? Cancelled in the next expansion. Every single expansion they add a mechanic they just as easily abandon when the next expansion releases. They reset everything completely every single time and there really isn't any progress, coherence or proper achievement left that carries over. Except for some stupid title or mount, give me back my farm ffs, I want diverse GAMEPLAY to be the achievement, not yet another pet or whatever.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Agreed. Subsequent expansions should be expanding on and improving the non-combat content from the previous ones, not throwing it out and making all that time spent irrelevant. Right now grinding up anything is just a waste of time, since it won't matter come the next expack.

Lore-wise, if they make Jaina a villain, I won't ever even consider playing the game again.
    Octagon7711

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited August 2017
    I wouldn't mind seeing housing that is persistent from expansion to expansion that begins, for instance, as a Pandaria farm-sized homestead and eventually something that can grow to more than garrison size. Items could be collected through drops throughout the game -- Onyxia's head wouldn't go on display in Orgrimmar or Stormwind, but on MY front gate :dizzy:

I know that they felt garrisons made the game too solitary -- that folks spent too much time there. That was because they made them too functional in terms of a bank, blacksmith, crafting stations, transmog, etc. Remove a lot  of that functionality (but give me a damned mailbox!) and it becomes a cosmetic place to show off your trophies -- kind of like The Secret World's...er...Museum of Oddities (or something like that).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited August 2017
    Torval said:
    docminus2 said:
    Received a free 7day return mail, so I figured, why not, I miss Wow a bit. But to be honest, I don't care for the latest expansion, but I can't put my finger on what it is. So I rerolled a new character just for nostalgia and to see that not even the starting zones are the same anymore. Then I really had a feeling of "what am I doing here".
    I guess I like the "thought of Wow" and the good times I had in the past, just like a vacation memory. I really don't see myself going back to it, no matter what new expansion there might be.
    I experience that with games sometimes. I think I want to play it, but after digging in I get that same "what am I doing here" vibe. That usually happens after a few days or a week and I have to start looking at the long haul - where am I taking my character, what do I need to grind, etc. Then it hits me that I'm not really that interested in doing all the "other things" anymore to get to those exciting adventure points.
    I'll usually play my own mini game.  My goal for a game may be to just reach level 30 and I'm done.  I don't think I've ever minimaxed an MMO, because it's designed to be endless.  I find the part that's fun for me and just play that.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited August 2017
    It's hard to get housing right.  SWG, SWTOR, Rift, ESO, GW2, WoW, LotRO all had/have their versions.  I wonder which has been the most successful?

I think I found SWGs housing most useful.  You could decorate it, sell your goods from it, put crafting stations in it, pack it up and move it to another planet.  Very flexible.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    edited August 2017
    It's hard to get housing right.  SWG, SWTOR, Rift, ESO, GW2, WoW, LotRO all had/have their versions.  I wonder which has been the most successful?

I think I found SWGs housing most useful.  You could decorate it, sell your goods from it, put crafting stations in it, pack it up and move it to another planet.  Very flexible.
    I loved housing in UO. LOL. seriously... is was the birth of the idea.
    Octagon7711

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I want the old gods and the new lich king more.  I want something along the lines of the ledgendaries from the last two expansions that you work on in dungeons.  
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Torval said:
    SBFord said:
    I wouldn't mind seeing housing that is persistent from expansion to expansion that begins, for instance, as a Pandaria farm-sized homestead and eventually something that can grow to more than garrison size. Items could be collected through drops throughout the game -- Onyxia's head wouldn't go on display in Orgrimmar or Stormwind, but on MY front gate :dizzy:

I know that they felt garrisons made the game too solitary -- that folks spent too much time there. That was because they made them too functional in terms of a bank, blacksmith, crafting stations, transmog, etc. Remove a lot  of that functionality (but give me a damned mailbox!) and it becomes a cosmetic place to show off your trophies -- kind of like The Secret World's...er...Museum of Oddities (or something like that).
    They just need to make systems persistent from xpac to xpac period. That persistence is a defining feature of an mmo/mmorpg in my opinion. Even in D3 the seasonal rewards are permanent, like the gear sets, not just cosmetics.

Whereas D3 feels persistent in a static dead way, but the ways systems come and go in WoW now it feels ungrounded. Just my perception anyway. I don't play but a month or two a year so take that into account, but I could and would have played more I think if garrisons and systems weren't so time limited. It feels like, if you don't get in at the very start and run hard, then you're missing out and it's not even worth doing it at all.

They also need to stop controlling the experience so heavily. Rift and GW2 do this too. The devs want you to play how they envision the game instead of just letting people enjoy it organically. So what if garrisons felt too solitary? Expand them to offer better social interaction or offer a more social alternative next update.

Let players do what they want.
    I couldn't agree more. And expand, not replace. What a waste of developer ressources and players time.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SBFord[Deleted User]laserit
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited August 2017
    Honestly. I'd be 100% good with 3 types of expansions, maybe 4

An overhaul (again) of azeroth. We have spent longer in "Cataclysm" zones than vanilla WoW zones. This would probably be a more laid back kinda expansion of time of rebuilding and what not. Maybe gearing up to The Old Gods...so kinda an in-between expansion getting ready for a huge enemy. There would be a lot of signs and influence of The Old Gods affecting Azeroth.

The Old Gods, though I'd rather have it be built up in an in-between expansion...but I'd be completely fine if we just went straight there. There are hints that is what is happening with a certain artifact saying there is a bigger enemy to worry about and to stop "playing" with the legion and get it over quickly.

I guess a lot of people want to see South Shore as an expansion, which could be possible and WOULD be a laid back expansion and a lot of gearing up to The Old Gods, maybe even more than the 1st expansion (the overhaul of Azeroth zones). I think this one and the overhaul of azeroth could be equally likely. I don't think blizzard is going to jump right to The Old Gods, with maybe the certain artifact suggesting otherwise

Or The Lich King Returns Again...seems meh though to fight a 2nd lich king. And I doubt it'll be the next expansion, but with the DK story, there is signs that something is happening with the new lich king and not all is good. Though this one is pretty unlikely compared to the above three. Never know though. But I'd be kinda okay fighting the 2nd lich king, but there isn't much gearing up to that except for the DK story, no signs of scourge being bad again...with an exception that maybe the Old Gods could be influencing the new lich king (again).

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited August 2017
    @TheScavenger

You're right on the DK story. These are warriors who fought the LK's mind control and, suddenly in Legion, ol' Bolvar is leading them right down the same path.

Early in the story campaign, he essentially let us know that if we didn't like what he was ordering us to do, he'd just replace us. During the hunt for the class mount, he basically says, "If you don't do what I want, no biggie. I'll just do it myself". DKs are, to him, a dime a dozen, I guess. :/

It certainly seems to be foreshadowing Bolvar going batshit Lich King, that's for sure.
    Octagon7711TheScavenger

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

As long as they have the numbers nothing much will change.  

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Well I have most of my characters at 110 with only the first artifact.  I  could care less about gearing up.  That is the way they will stay until the next expansion.   Hopefully they will fix this horrible legendary system, but we will have to wait and see.  Until then, I don't see any need to subscribe.
    edited August 2017
    They've done some pretty epic things over the years. Most games wouldn't touch adding flight for example.
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Just do what they have always done. Make characters look like cartoon characters, keep adding levels, keep it a gear chasing game. In addition, keep the bugs out of the game and make the harder quests easier for solo players.
    TheScavenger

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

swing848 said:
    Just do what they have always done. Make characters look like cartoon characters, keep adding levels, keep it a gear chasing game. In addition, keep the bugs out of the game and make the harder quests easier for solo players.
    WoW has always had a cartoony feel to it even in vanilla. And vanilla was always about getting gear. And they've done a lot better at keeping bugs out of the game since vanilla (vanilla was super buggy, but not nearly as much as other MMOs in their "vanilla" years).

Sounds like you just never liked WoW, so you just wanted to troll the thread with a useless post about how you always didn't like WoW lol

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited August 2017
    SBFord said:
    What would really be nice would be a "resting" expansion where we spent more time within our faction dealing with the loss of leadership, political dynamics and inner conflict between allied races. 

Honestly, do you really think the venerable Night Elves would submit to a human king who is little more than a teenager with no experience in war regardless of how filled with THE LIGHT he is? And in the Horde, the Tauren can't be overly thrilled at Sylvanas being the Warchief.

I'm tired of being the super star at the center of the story. I'm tired of saving the world yet again and want some time off to chill with political maneuvering.
    Love it

Have some Civil wars ;)
    SBFordTheScavenger

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

docminus2 said:
    Received a free 7day return mail, so I figured, why not, I miss Wow a bit. But to be honest, I don't care for the latest expansion, but I can't put my finger on what it is. So I rerolled a new character just for nostalgia and to see that not even the starting zones are the same anymore. Then I really had a feeling of "what am I doing here".
    I guess I like the "thought of Wow" and the good times I had in the past, just like a vacation memory. I really don't see myself going back to it, no matter what new expansion there might be.
    Hard to feel the Nostalgia when the game has had soo much change. The game I miss is no longer there.

I miss the sense of adventure 
    Octagon7711TheScavenger

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Can they bury this game. I mean I had loads of fun, but I'm dying for something new from Blizzard in the mmorpg dept.
    mrputtsaliven
    Can they bury this game. I mean I had loads of fun, but I'm dying for something new from Blizzard in the mmorpg dept.
    The game is still enjoyed by millions
    Octagon7711mrputtsaliven

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I think it's about time to move to a new world and lose all the stats and levels. Level 120 doing 17m crtic is just not appealing anymore. 

This can also be a good opportunity to change the talent tree and add some complexity into it. 
    subxaero
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    edited August 2017

They are NOT carrying over the artifact weapons?  What common, uncommon, rare, epic, legendary weapons are better than artifact weapons???  LOL  I mean seriously, what is better than Ashbringer?

They managed to paint themselves into a corner with the Artifact system. People spent KiK knows how many hundreds of hours grinding artifact power, only to lose all of that come the next expansion. If they don't handle this properly, it could be the end, for many, many people.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited August 2017

they won't kill Sargeras. They always try to keep characters alive to bring back later and Sargeras is too big a baddie for them to kill yet. He'll likely end up in a prison of some sort.

The next expac will likely involve the old gods, Azshara and more of the Void who are the true badguys.

They are definitely going down the path of eventually having to reinvent the franchise for a reboot when WOW is done.

Sargeras can't be killed or imprisoned, unless they mess up their own lore big time.

I wouldn't mind an Old Gods themed expansion, filled with Lovecraft references as this concept descends directly from his vision and writing.

As for the artifact weapons, good riddance i say. However the resources and development put into this system are to much to just throw it away. I believe that in some form it will prevail into the next expansion.
    Post edited by Shodanas on