Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's Next for Azeroth & WoW? - World of Warcraft Columns

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhat's Next for Azeroth & WoW? - World of Warcraft Columns

World of Warcraft: Legion is winding down. Once the v7.3 update hits and players are whisked off to Argus, home of the Burning Legion, it is likely that this heralds the conclusion of Legion and the possible announcement of the next expansion at Blizzcon. Let's muse a bit on WoW's current present and its future.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

DMKano said:

I think we should try to guess what color the next expansion would be:

Legion was green, as was Burning crusade

Lich King was blue

Draenor was red

I dont think they will go green again - how about purple?

Honestly it could be pink for all I care as long as they just get over with this expansion :P

That said if it's really something related to the old gods I won't be surprised if it's actually purple.
    SBFordBillMurphy
  • Leguma11Leguma11 Member UncommonPosts: 32
    uuu ... We all wonder ... what will we grind next Exp ....
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Leguma11 said:

Pretty much. I mean, they're going to have to replace artifacts and you just KNOW that there's going to be horrific grind to level it up.

Honestly, I miss the old days of finding a weapon that was better than my current one. It was such a thrill. I won't mind that coming back.
    IceAgeOctagon7711Rawynborghive49AlbatroesCoolitElvoc[Deleted User]BruceYeemike32927and 8 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Artifacts were cool for a while, but I'm definitely ready for something new and shiny.
    SBFordElvocJeffSpicoliTokken
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I never got into artifacts. Just enjoyed leveling and new content. All they have to do now is create a new class to get my attention.
    JeffSpicoliMrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    My guess is... one final raid tier and 2 years until next expansion leaving a 12+ month long content draught.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    I agree with @SBFord . Grinding and finding a new weapon it's awesome.

About the next expansion, well .. I am really curious to find out what will be next. For the most part, I really enjoy Legion expansion. It's one of the best , so looking forward for the expansion announcement.

Plus , how plausible it's to have "Paragon" ( ala Diablo 3 ) system in the next expansion? :) I mean , they took some big parts from D3 , so Paragon should be next. I .. would mind having it.
    SBFord

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I feel like the original Titan system or whatever was supposed to be like Paragon. Would love that over in WoW. Just ape Champion Points and normalize them in PVP.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited August 2017
    Whatever it is, I hope it's something to draw me back into what was once my favorite game.
    [Deleted User]Psym0n
    Here's something interesting about WoW.

‘World of Warcraft’ video game currency now worth more than Venezuelan money

Digital gold from Blizzard’s massive multiplayer online game “World of Warcraft” is worth more than actual Venezuelan currency, the bolivar, according to new data.

Venezuelan resident and Twitter user @KalebPrime first made the discovery July 14 and tweeted at the time that on the Venezuela’s black market — now the most-used method of currency exchange within Venezuela according to NPR — you can get $1 for 8493.97 bolivars. Meanwhile, a “WoW” token, which can be bought for $20 from the in-game auction house, is worth 8385 gold per dollar.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/07/31/world-of-warcraft-video-game-currency-now-worth-more-than-venezuelan-money/
    SBFord[Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]JeffSpicoliMrMelGibsonEnik

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited August 2017
    Maybe the next expansion we can get a bard class. Loved the bard and skald classes in Dark age of Camelot. Legion has been a blast for me.
    Octagon7711SBFord
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Fun article.
    SBFord

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Rawyn said:
    Maybe the next expansion we can get a bard class. Loved the bard and skald classes in Dark age of Camelot. Legion has been a blast for me.
    OMG I would so LOVE a Bard in WoW -- maybe even a pure support class. Perhaps not a healer, but a pure buffing class with some good (though few) melee abilities or "break their eardrums with decibels" type ranged damage. :D
    Octagon7711RawynTokkenmrputts

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    SBFord said:

Leguma11 said:

Pretty much. I mean, they're going to have to replace artifacts and you just KNOW that there's going to be horrific grind to level it up.

Honestly, I miss the old days of finding a weapon that was better than my current one. It was such a thrill. I won't mind that coming back.
    I too miss hunting for new weapons. The thing that makes me sad about artifacts is that Blizzard has alluded to the entire system getting scrapped for the next expansion. I feel like this dev team has no idea how to make MMOs anymore, every single change the last few years has either introduced throw away systems or added systems that push this game into more of a single player game, very frustrating. 
    Octagon7711[Deleted User][Deleted User]Wraithonewanderica
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2017

SBFord said:

Leguma11 said:

You know what I also miss? Everyone having a ranged slot. Thanks MoP.... As far as a new class, I highly doubt we'll get one since we literally just got one. At most they'll probably make some existing races be able to use other classes, like Night Elf paladins (yes please!) or Blood Elf druid (dream :()
    Octagon7711winghaven1
    edited August 2017
    I used to think that Demon Hunters would spread across races. However, the class is sort of lacking motivation once the Burning Legion is defeated similar to how the "spread" of Death Knights ended after the defeat of the Lich King.

They've alluded to Nelf Pallies in the Paladin Order Hall with both a male and female Nelf present as followers.
    Rawyn

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Perhaps they could do what ESO did.  DLC that add new skill sets to your character.  ESO added, thief, assassin, vamp, ww, that could be added to your main.  WoW could add bard and some other additional skill sets. 
    SBFord

• Chrono223Chrono223 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    edited August 2017
    I truly enjoyed the artifact concept. You use an iconic weapon to defeat a formidable foe. The issue is... it will become obsolete come next expansion.

The artifact system removed the extra loot on mobs/bosses/quest rewards and let players focus on yes.. gear grind (this is common to all expansions/MMOs no?).

What I would like is for them to keep some systems for the weapons in the next expansion:

-Keep the appearance system! Doing certain activities in the game should unlock different "skins" (might get heat for this) for your weapons.

-Let me level up my gear again using some kind of currency (AP, Valor, coins.. whatever). It helps catching up when you're unlucky with drops and item level.

-Let each class imbue the weapon they find with their iconic class power (similar to what artifacts bring right now)

At the very least keep that. I am more than ok trying to find two 1h weapons for my Enhancement Spec or 1h/Shield for Resto/Elemental.

The last thing they could do, is to keep Artifacts, but change the system/upgrade/update it.

Time will tell what they have in mind. At Blizzcon, we will hear this again though: We learned a lot from Legion, the artifact grind, world quests etc.. hahaha :D
    SBFordOctagon7711
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    New expansion boss mind control good people to bad, and bad to good. only hero and Khadgar was able avoid mind control. all horde and alliance leaders will be evil and all zones get full remake again with new towns and alliances.
  • LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190

SBFord said:

Rawyn said:

OMG I would so LOVE a Bard in WoW -- maybe even a pure support class. Perhaps not a healer, but a pure buffing class with some good (though few) melee abilities or "break their eardrums with decibels" type ranged damage. :D

Everyone knows the next class will be the Banshee. :P
    SBFord
    Looks like someone spilled coffee on Blizzard's servers or something cause half the servers have been offline or having issues since today's maint.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    SBFord said:

Artifacts are one of those things that sounds really cool and actually is initially but after a while the novelty runs out...

It would have worked better in a game where most of the progression isn't through gear, TCoS had a not that different approach to all it's gear and focused the progression through you character (which would have been good besides that it did a bad job with it).

SBFord

Loke666 said:

SBFord said:

Artifacts are one of those things that sounds really cool and actually is initially but after a while the novelty runs out...

It would have worked better in a game where most of the progression isn't through gear, TCoS had a not that different approach to all it's gear and focused the progression through you character (which would have been good besides that it did a bad job with it).

Honestly, I would've preferred if they did the artifact system (the benefits you get from it at least) similar to how rift's PPA works, where you get 2 exp bars and get points at a set rate that is account wide. They could start it at 50 and people just passively get points to augment certain abilities etc. The only thing I'd do differently from rift is to make the points consumable instead of pretty much reset or whatever per toon, that way it forces replayability.
    [Deleted User]
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Albatroes said:

Honestly, I would've preferred if they did the artifact system (the benefits you get from it at least) similar to how rift's PPA works, where you get 2 exp bars and get points at a set rate that is account wide. They could start it at 50 and people just passively get points to augment certain abilities etc. The only thing I'd do differently from rift is to make the points consumable instead of pretty much reset or whatever per toon, that way it forces replayability.
    That might work better, yes. It would work even better on the ranger/hunter pets (and other pet classes).

Loke666 said:

Albatroes said:

That might work better, yes. It would work even better on the ranger/hunter pets (and other pet classes).

I do find that the lack of true persistence is a core reason as to why I personally do not play many mmorpgs anymore. FFXI pretty much had the system I discussed earlier; however, it was more on an individual basis since you could level every job(class) on a single character. Also many pieces of gear were tied to crafting, using the abjuration system. The abjuration system pretty much allowed you to get a "paper" that was used in combination with a cursed armor piece, so you would unseal the armor pretty much. It made having a high level craft just as important as having classes up and being active in endgame content since many rare mats were from end game fights, but could be sold.