Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATE - Mordor Launching August 2nd - Lord of the Rings Online News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageNo Launch on Monday, More Precise Information Soon - Lord of the Rings Online News

The Lord of the Rings Online site has been updated with the sad news that the launch of the Mordor expansion will not happen on Monday, July 31st as originally planned. The team discovered an issue with the build that made monsters and NPCs move incorrectly. While sad for those looking forward to Mordor, the wording on the expansion does give an out by saying it will be delivered on or before August 31st. The target was July 31st, but there is still plenty of time to head through the Black Gate.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Well at least they caught it before the expansion went live. A few more weeks or less isn't long to wait.
    c0796daltanious
    --------------------------------------------
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Well at least they caught it before the expansion went live. A few more weeks or less isn't long to wait.
    They seemed to say it would be less than that, but the sales "fine print" gave them until August 31st. Let's hope it's before then. :)
    Wellspring

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    This is one of my top 2 MMO love affairs but they really need to remove the archaic "Quest Packs" from the cash shop and make all content up until the latest expansion free if they even want a chance of bringing me and everyone else back.
    Octagon7711black_isleMexenlivesm1tchkJeroKaneTyserie
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

This is one of my top 2 MMO love affairs but they really need to remove the archaic "Quest Packs" from the cash shop and make all content up until the latest expansion free if they even want a chance of bringing me and everyone else back.

yeah, this. i would be interested to return seriously but no way am i gonna pay for all the packs and expansions between mirkwood and mordor. they should have made mordor include previous zones and expansions and make it much more enticing for players because come on, this isn't 2009 anymore, but they did the exact opposite. they even seperated the high elf from the x-pack. LOL. i was waiting for mordor info and after we got it, i uninstalled the game since there was no point in levelling.

and no, boost doesnt solve this, sorry.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Or you can pay 15 dollars and get all the content by subscribing.

Other than the expansions, sure.
  • alaadaralaadar Member UncommonPosts: 29
    So you want a AAA mmo to give you an absolutely free game experience. Games like this requires money to operate. So coming off a few dollars to access the game isn't so bad and it helps the games development.
    Leguma11
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

alaadar said:

So you want a AAA mmo to give you an absolutely free game experience. Games like this requires money to operate. So coming off a few dollars to access the game isn't so bad and it helps the games development.

No, I want them to stop charging $20 for Moria this long after it has launched. Even Blizzard doesn't try that shit. It would cost you $150 to get the base game and all the expansions. For a game this old and lacking in popularity, that's absurd.
    m1tchkTheDarkrayneSlyLoKDewulfazurreiLeguma11JeroKaneApridiseAlomar
  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Mordor should have happened 3 years ago.
    Alomar
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Mordor happens now and it's good. It's most PR'ed Lotro content by far.
    It's wise from SSG to fix bugs before launching expansion. They probably rushed with Minas Tirith stuff - and even now there is huge lag there. So, we better wait and receive quality product than rush and receive bugs, lags and alike.
    View "gimme everything for free" is totally wrong from my perspective (f2p there who bought everything up to Gondor for Lotro points). Maybe they could lower some prices or make a pack that includes every quest pack, every expansion...but that's another story.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    No surprise in the delay... it was no coincidence that the Mordor announcement lacked the one element launch announcements usually plaster all over and put emphasis on, the launch date. With Mordor it was "hidden" in the fine print below, and right there it was also that it can slip to August, so I believe they knew the July launch is only a best-case scenario.

On the expacs I agree with @Lithuanian . Mordor is overpriced, that's true, but the former expansions are fairly often on sale on their web store, and 20 bucks for all of them is a very friendly price (but that was just a one-time only sale I think, usually it's 20+20, for the Quad pack and Helm's Deep).
    The in-game store versions are on sale too almost every month, and if you sub, you can get those from the stipend (for "free").

Nothing's wrong with the old pricing, just this Mordor, this is the only one not fitting the line :wink:  Sauron's greed took a hold of them, maybe.
  • DewulfDewulf Member UncommonPosts: 139
    They are rushing the release date anyways, the expansion is far from ready. Most people laughed when they said they are gonna release Mordor in 2 weeks....

After seeing how bad the previous patches were I can see how bad this launch and expansion will be.
    They keep adding new stuff instead of fixing the current issues while hoping it won't blow up in every patch lol.
  • DewulfDewulf Member UncommonPosts: 139

Po_gg said:

No surprise in the delay... it was no coincidence that the Mordor announcement lacked the one element launch announcements usually plaster all over and put emphasis on, the launch date. With Mordor it was "hidden" in the fine print below, and right there it was also that it can slip to August, so I believe they knew the July launch is only a best-case scenario.

On the expacs I agree with @Lithuanian . Mordor is overpriced, that's true, but the former expansions are fairly often on sale on their web store, and 20 bucks for all of them is a very friendly price (but that was just a one-time only sale I think, usually it's 20+20, for the Quad pack and Helm's Deep).
    The in-game store versions are on sale too almost every month, and if you sub, you can get those from the stipend (for "free").

Nothing's wrong with the old pricing, just this Mordor, this is the only one not fitting the line :wink:  Sauron's greed took a hold of them, maybe.

Why would any new player play lotro if they have to drop 135$ in order to play all the content as a paying customer. You can play any other MMORPG for less. In SWTOR you only have to sub in order to play all the content in the game, and Star Wars is big name. Lotro has really outdated business model that only benefits the people who grind and SSG.
  • alaadaralaadar Member UncommonPosts: 29
    In swtor you can't really be f2p since the current content is locked to subscription. The argument about WoW not charging for older expansions is true, however, you can't play WoW without paying a monthly fee. I'm not saying there prices are great all I'm saying is you can't expect an mmo such as lotro to not charge for older stuff.
    Tyseriewinghaven1
  • FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
    The launch is set for Wednesday now:

[Deleted User]
  • ScoliozScolioz Member UncommonPosts: 110
    the graphics look exactly the same as the original.. whats the point? this is just a massive expansion pack basically
  • titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    3 hours downtime - good luck whit that one!
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Torval said:
    I buy things from them only on sale or discount and rarely if ever more. For example I unlocked the rest of the quest packs I didn't "own" after buying double points during holiday and then purchasing the quest packs when they were on sale.
    Yep, that's how a lot of us roll. (I sometimes sub for a month too, when I have a few new characters whom I want to VIP-unlock, and the 500 Points come handy on the side)
    [Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Scolioz said:

the graphics look exactly the same as the original.. whats the point? this is just a massive expansion pack basically

They weren't doing a graphical update. Just updating the Avatars. I think they could have gone further on that but I imagine they only have so many resources at this point. Also, I want to sit down with their artist who designs hair and an actual Hair Dresser and have him/her point out why their Avatar's hair styles miss most of the time.
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

alaadar said:

I always sub games I play. Plus with shops I spend up to 100€ at start. If they are not worth sub, I will not play them. And Lotro is worth, but still they should invest more money and man power to upgrade game getting old with animations, graphics, ... like Blizzard did.