Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Devs Outline Issues & Solutions to Nagging Player Problems - Albion Online - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageDevs Outline Issues & Solutions to Nagging Player Problems - Albion Online - MMORPG.com

Albion Online News - Since the launch of Albion Online nearly two weeks ago, the game has been plagued with a number of issues, most pertaining to server hardware. In a new post today, the team acknowledged the major problems and what will be done in short-term, mid-term and in the long run to bring these problems to a close.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    I do think Albion is a pretty okay game, but man they need to work on PR. These answers sound pretty aggressive and excuse like. How hard is it to say you are working on a specific issue and not say stuff like "well, we will fix some of it, but some of it will never be fixed" or give an obscure reference to a game that is lightyears ahead of yours quality wise...lol. That server answer makes no sense though. I mean, if they had actual servers to choose from there would be less overcrowding. I mean, that is just simply an objective thing. I think they mean more servers using the same "shard" though. Just poorly phrased.
    GdemamiShogunLeCat
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    were they also hit with ddos?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited July 2017
    His references to EVE is valid in terms of similar challenges when too many players want on the same "space"

He's also correct, there will always be limits. CCP had to beef up hardware supporting trade hubs and even then there is a 2000 player cap on Jita even though a majority of the occupants are station spinning.

For really big fleet fights alliances actually "schedule " them in advance and CCP actually moves everyone to hardware set up specifically for the fight.

CU is now well over 4 yrs in dev as they designed from the ground up their own engine with the specific goal of supporting over 1000 players per fight.

Mark recently posted they now can do around 1300+ bots using good but not awesome hardware.

So its not surprising this team is struggling with the load, especially if supporting well over 30K concurrent players on this single shard.

I'm wondering what sort of time out mechanism this game has to prevent people from staying logged on indefinitely while idleing.

Well, I mean besides having the servers crap out regularly ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited July 2017
    Excluding cheaters being a problem in Albion, one of the biggest problems seems to be that its a 32 bit client, not a 64bit, so its limited to 4gigs of ram, and when towns are crowded especially on PC's that should be able to handle this even a Phenom II CPU should be able to play this game or lower end computers rather it starts to run into issues with Lag because there are too many people there and I believe still no way to hide them...

This is aside from the server side problems the game has which they should have expected during the beta tests of what if there are too many people there, if they could address the server side issues, and actually make a 64 bit client version or  add the ability for people to limit the number of characters drawn on a screen it would be great.

Another option is of course powerful servers, and limiting people in instances, of no more than 50-100 people per town at max per instance this would reduce problems client side for sure but I think coding a view limit of max players you can view in a town while pritorizing guild, and friends as an option would do the trick for this part of the problem.

Edit: Also as far as EVE, I love EVE more than other games but what keeps me away from playing it hard is how boring it seems to get after awhile of doing the same thing over and over again, I guess being in a big corp out in worm hole, or Nullsec able to produce anything you need out there can be great if actually in a corp that big but besides that it gets pretty boring and very time consuming other than that I love EVE but that is assuming you can play for hours on end.
    Excession
  • ManWithNoTanManWithNoTan Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Overcrowded towns already don't display the other players on the screen. 

Just playing today, it's crashed or had to be rebooted approximately every 3 hours.  

Some of these roll a player back to an earlier time - losing some progress and or mats. Kind of frustrating really. I want to be a fan, but this is probably the least fun mmo launch I've played yet. (I've played only 4 launches though.) I expect some problems for week one, but this is getting me to look for something else to play.

[Deleted User]
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Kyleran said:
    ( ... )

Mark recently posted they now can do around 1300+ bots using good but not awesome hardware.

( ... )
    actually they are at 2k now :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Glad they finally addressed compensation, but other than that they didn't same a damn thing.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited August 2017

Just playing today, it's crashed or had to be rebooted approximately every 3 hours.  

Some of these roll a player back to an earlier time - losing some progress and or mats. Kind of frustrating really. I want to be a fan, but this is probably the least fun mmo launch I've played yet. (I've played only 4 launches though.) I expect some problems for week one, but this is getting me to look for something else to play.

Does this game actually have personal roll backs? (where you get rolled back but the rest of the server doesn't)  That's like, a dupe exploit (or twenty) waiting to happen.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Tiamat64 said:

Does this game actually have personal roll backs? (where you get rolled back but the rest of the server doesn't)  That's like, a dupe exploit (or twenty) waiting to happen.

When the game crashes sometimes you die and if you are in tier V you lose 10% durability + materials which has happened to me a couple times. It's not a rollback but kind of acts like one because of the 10% loss. I haven't been online during an actual rollback but maybe one actually happened who knows.
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited August 2017
    If you check the actual official link with the AO dev commentary, the tone isn't nearly as dismissive or ignorant sounding as Suzie has paraphrased in her article. My advice to Suzie is to actually quote the article response to each listed problem. Oh wait, the responses are too long and detailed to fit in the article.