Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Think of one unique MMO feature, not seen in any other MMO

Comments

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Hefaistos said:
    RvRvR in a world where the three kingdoms are supported by gods at war.  The cool mechanic I have in mind is that these gods manifest themselves through buffs to their citizens.  The power of the buff is divided by the number of players online for that realm. Thus under played realms have each character become much more powerful than overplayed ones.  
    Dark Age of Camelot has 3 realms RVR also buffs you were saying but from Relics you take from opposite faction. Release in 1999 :smile:
    Your are missing the point.

One of the problems with DAoC was realm imbalance.   This is my suggestion to correct the problem.

Each diety would provide a buff worth X.   That buff gets divided equally across all characters for the realm.  So when one side has 200 people and the other has 100... the undermanned realm's characters would be much stronger.

Pretty sure Guild Wars 2 has something very similar in it's RvRvR iteration (Played it at launch, but too long since forgotten)
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Myrdynn said:
    an MMO where you play a character in a world, sitting in front of a computer in game, playing another game

In another game, could I also play a character sitting in front of a computer game playing another game?  If so, in that game, could I also play a character sitting in front of a computer game playing another game? If so, ...
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Vrika said:
    Destroying the world.

We've got too many MMOs where players are the good guys. We should have at least one MMO where players are bad guys aiming to destroy the world. Once it gets destroyed they should be allowed to take their loot and head on to destroy next world.
    Very few villains actually tries to destroy the world. I can't think of a single historical figure doing it and only the most insane comic super villains.

Ruling the world or remaking it more to their liking is fine, as are many other weird plans and ideas and playing a villain can certainly be really fun but it isn't something unheard of in MMORPGs. City of villains, EQ and EQ2 all let the players be the bad guys even though they often fails with it, having the bad guy quests about the same as the heroes, helping out random people and similar.

There is certainly a lot of fun you can do to make the concept of playing bad guys fun, but just destroying the world seems a bit too insane. Imagine 100s of people on the same server just aiming for that.
    Kyleran
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    A feature that I've never seen attempted is communal or ritual magic.  That is magic where casting the spell requires multiple characters to participate (a coven).  Very important things, like resurrection, should be beyond a single caster's expertise.
    Asm0deusKyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Myrdynn said:
    an MMO where you play a character in a world, sitting in front of a computer in game, playing another game

Second Life? Never played it, but bet you could do that there. 
    --------------------------------------------
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Mendel said:
    A feature that I've never seen attempted is communal or ritual magic.  That is magic where casting the spell requires multiple characters to participate (a coven).  Very important things, like resurrection, should be beyond a single caster's expertise.
    A Tale In the Desert has some rituals that require two or more people to perform.  Weddings, for example, require the two people being wed to make offerings of objects at an altar and 5 witnesses have to bow down in synchrony.  There's also a test of harmony (I think?) where you need two people to run around to several locations together, and at each location one partner makes an offering of an object or emote and the other person pastes a ritual phrase into chat.
    Phaserlight
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Hefaistos said:
    Here is the goal of this thread:

To have a person put in 1 unique feature not seen in any MMO before that they think would be fun. No laundry lists, just one feature. 

Here goes my one feature:

1) The ability to craft world bosses and release them into the living and breathing world. Of course, I'd make it very difficult to do and would require a ton of effort and of course you would have to put in an immersion-including name and build, but that would be cool. 

Thanks, 

Cryomatrix
    p.s. I have a feeling someone will say, "so and so game has that feature" but oh well this is another way to get diversity. 

Crossout. You create a boss (machinery) that you sent it in the world to kill players. Every time a team of players does missions they fight vs Player Made Vehicles. 

I had the pleasure to kill my machine in 1 raid :)

Crossout came out like last week :)

Cryomatrix :smile:

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    DMKano said:
    Loke666 said:
    How about a dungeon that your guild design and add traps, hire in/design monsters and build for other players to run? You could have a point system as well as allowing the guild to craft and add their own touch to it. You could even let the members possess the mobs for a PvP like experience.

Mighty quest for epic loot and Trove both have variants of this.
    Mighty Quest fro Epic Loot ...shut down 1 year ago
    edited July 2017
    DMKano said:
    Virtual Ecosystem game - with 100% finite resources and finite NPCs that are balanced with the available resources.

No endless respawns, no endless resources, every action has consequences. Chop down too many trees - the forest dies. The forest dies, it impacts the animals and NPCs in the area.

You can replant the trees if you have sapplings and over the course of many years (in game time) - it would recover.

NPCs would live and die and their offspring would go on - players would do the same. Murder would be punishable by death. On logout player characters would remain in the world and continue to do their tasks - depending on what "career" or tradeskill they have.

Going out and slaughtering 100s of monsters would be impossible due to physical exaustion - any kind of physical action would require rest - injury and sickness would play a major role as well.

No heroes, no chosen ones.

Basically virtual world simulator

Wakfu does alot of that ..ecosystem that is ...very similar to that description

Phaserlight
  • HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Hefaistos said:
    RvRvR in a world where the three kingdoms are supported by gods at war.  The cool mechanic I have in mind is that these gods manifest themselves through buffs to their citizens.  The power of the buff is divided by the number of players online for that realm. Thus under played realms have each character become much more powerful than overplayed ones.  
    Dark Age of Camelot has 3 realms RVR also buffs you were saying but from Relics you take from opposite faction. Release in 1999 :smile:
    Your are missing the point.

One of the problems with DAoC was realm imbalance.   This is my suggestion to correct the problem.

Each diety would provide a buff worth X.   That buff gets divided equally across all characters for the realm.  So when one side has 200 people and the other has 100... the undermanned realm's characters would be much stronger.

Ive played DAOC on Mordred and Andred the FFA servers. Only safe zone was the main city. No imbalance felt :) 

And im not getting into a chit chat with you about DAOC :) 
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Fun.
    City of Heroes had it. Couldn't find it in other MMOs.
    Phaserlight
    DMKano said:
    Virtual Ecosystem game - with 100% finite resources and finite NPCs that are balanced with the available resources.

No endless respawns, no endless resources, every action has consequences. Chop down too many trees - the forest dies. The forest dies, it impacts the animals and NPCs in the area.

You can replant the trees if you have sapplings and over the course of many years (in game time) - it would recover.

NPCs would live and die and their offspring would go on - players would do the same. Murder would be punishable by death. On logout player characters would remain in the world and continue to do their tasks - depending on what "career" or tradeskill they have.

Going out and slaughtering 100s of monsters would be impossible due to physical exaustion - any kind of physical action would require rest - injury and sickness would play a major role as well.

I been thinking a bit on something similar myself and while it certainly would be the only way to have an MMORPG economy that makes sense and don't get hyper inflation there are some things I never figured out a good solution for.

Particularly resources that are limited in the world like metal, gems, gold and similar things. First of all you need a reason that stops people from getting all of that in a few weeks and then hoarding that off and selling for insane sums from new players.

Secondly, when players that have a lot of those materials stop playing they will just be left to rot in the bank.

I guess minerals could be replenished now and again with volcanic eruptions, meteor strikes or other occurrences but it is still hard to balance so just enough trickle down the market without it just getting to a couple of hoarders.

There is also the question if people would bother to replant trees if anyone will can cut them down after the years they take to grow, something we seen happen a lot in the real world. 

This is no way any critic to your idea, a good world sim could be very fun but it is some things to consider.

Somethings can be very fun like looking for rare herbs to cure sick people that actually is sick and will die if you don't help them (which is better motivation then the usual boring quests). You would certainly get a new motivation for the players. But there are a lot of things to figure out for it to work.
    Mendel
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Mabinogi let you compose songs. 

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    DMKano said:
    Mabinogi let you compose songs. 
    So does Trove.
    So it does.  More of a minecrafty way instead of 3dFancyRP but yeah you can compose your own music.  And Trove looks like you have to skateboard across the notes where Mabinogi you are actually playing traditional medieval instruments. Wish I saw music application in every mmo.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Crafting Raids where you have someone minding the forge, a few people hammering the steel, others handling the jewels, some handling the enchanting, others binding souls to the armor being made, a foreman overseeing everything....  Complications all over the place and the potential for great loot.

Really crafting has been very limited by it being a solo activity. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    And Trove looks like you have to skateboard across the notes where Mabinogi you are actually playing traditional medieval instruments. Wish I saw music application in every mmo.
    Always find it amusing when it's about music systems (and it really is a frequent topic, there's a thread about it every few months), and I need to drop in LotRO because the discussion is about Mabinogi or AA etc. :wink: 
    While all of those games music is added into the grind and have barriers all along, LotRO's system is just about the music, you don't need to level up for it, or grind parchments, none of those BS. Just grab an instrument, type /music, and start to play.
    In that sense, yep I too agree with Jem, all games should have such a system, maybe besides fishing.
    But as part of the "game system" of a grind, levels, material gathering, etc... rather not.

Btw. Weatherstock was last weekend, here's the official stream of it https://youtu.be/u3qWl53NOD4  no grind just 9 hours of music and fun :sunglasses:
    Distopia
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    centkin said:
    Crafting Raids where you have someone minding the forge, a few people hammering the steel, others handling the jewels, some handling the enchanting, others binding souls to the armor being made, a foreman overseeing everything....  Complications all over the place and the potential for great loot.

Really crafting has been very limited by it being a solo activity. 
    Horizons/Istaria
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Loke666 said:
    Vrika said:
    Destroying the world.

We've got too many MMOs where players are the good guys. We should have at least one MMO where players are bad guys aiming to destroy the world. Once it gets destroyed they should be allowed to take their loot and head on to destroy next world.
    Very few villains actually tries to destroy the world. I can't think of a single historical figure doing it and only the most insane comic super villains.

Ruling the world or remaking it more to their liking is fine, as are many other weird plans and ideas and playing a villain can certainly be really fun but it isn't something unheard of in MMORPGs. City of villains, EQ and EQ2 all let the players be the bad guys even though they often fails with it, having the bad guy quests about the same as the heroes, helping out random people and similar.

There is certainly a lot of fun you can do to make the concept of playing bad guys fun, but just destroying the world seems a bit too insane. Imagine 100s of people on the same server just aiming for that.
    If players rule the world, eventually creation and destruction needs to be in balance: For every NPC, monster, and boss killed a new one needs to be born, spawned, or created. For every tree felled and ore mined there needs to be a new one or they'll run out.

But if you allow players to destroy the world there's no need for such balance: The players would get to be a force that burns towns and uses their NPC population as slaves until they drop dead, exhausts rare natural resources, hunts legendary monsters into extinction, eventually takes down even the largest NPC cities, strongholds, and kingdoms with their armies.

Then once high-end resources are getting scarce they'd get to trigger the world-destruction event and get another pristine world to pillage.

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    This could be considered a feature, or a divergent sub-genre:

The player character (PC) is a God (i.e. From Dust, Black & White, etc.) and competes with other PCs to compete for the most 'devotion'. The PC would have a world in which it 'ruled over' and must make decisions through various different systems, that ultimately affect their standings.

If this is too much to be a "feature" then I agree with DMKano, realistic ecology/finite resources.
    Slapshot1188
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Hell the genre is so infested with cash shop cancer not having a cash shop is almost a unique feature nowadays.

ScorchienKyleran

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nilden said:
    Hell the genre is so infested with cash shop cancer not having a cash shop is almost a unique feature nowadays.

sad but true
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Loke666 said:
    DMKano said:

I been thinking a bit on something similar myself and while it certainly would be the only way to have an MMORPG economy that makes sense and don't get hyper inflation there are some things I never figured out a good solution for.

Particularly resources that are limited in the world like metal, gems, gold and similar things. First of all you need a reason that stops people from getting all of that in a few weeks and then hoarding that off and selling for insane sums from new players.

Secondly, when players that have a lot of those materials stop playing they will just be left to rot in the bank.

I guess minerals could be replenished now and again with volcanic eruptions, meteor strikes or other occurrences but it is still hard to balance so just enough trickle down the market without it just getting to a couple of hoarders.

There is also the question if people would bother to replant trees if anyone will can cut them down after the years they take to grow, something we seen happen a lot in the real world. 

This is no way any critic to your idea, a good world sim could be very fun but it is some things to consider.

Somethings can be very fun like looking for rare herbs to cure sick people that actually is sick and will die if you don't help them (which is better motivation then the usual boring quests). You would certainly get a new motivation for the players. But there are a lot of things to figure out for it to work.
    I'm an advocate for a simulation rather than a world.

If a person hoards iron or steel, then people would look to alternative materials -- wooden clubs rather than steel swords.  If they leave the game, their property is sold at auction.  Hoarding the market on precious goods, like silver or silver, has had some real world issues, mostly the prices plummet and the hoarder is left with less valuable merchandise.  Basically, when materials are short, people do without.  (Adding the possibility arsenic poisoning to iron gathering might encourage players not to mine all the ore at once -- check some historic mines in Roman Britain).  Hoarding can be further discouraged by having costs associated with mining / harvesting / gathering type activities.

Replanting trees is something I think people could be encouraged to do, for money (quests/jobs), or if the simulated world had religions or politics, for favor.  In game organizations, like a pro-ecology group, could consider this a form of currency or good will.  If you want to become leader of a group like Greenpeace, you'd better plant a few trees.

The rare herbs thing converts well to a open-world communal event type of quest.  It's voluntary, can support any number of people, and is a fixed event (timed).  If people don't gather enough herbs, poor old Beallo (NPC) will die and the best pie maker will be gone.   Just keep the event as a one-off event (something many games don't do).

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    I'm an advocate for a simulation rather than a world.

If a person hoards iron or steel, then people would look to alternative materials -- wooden clubs rather than steel swords.  If they leave the game, their property is sold at auction.  Hoarding the market on precious goods, like silver or silver, has had some real world issues, mostly the prices plummet and the hoarder is left with less valuable merchandise.  Basically, when materials are short, people do without.  (Adding the possibility arsenic poisoning to iron gathering might encourage players not to mine all the ore at once -- check some historic mines in Roman Britain).  Hoarding can be further discouraged by having costs associated with mining / harvesting / gathering type activities.

Replanting trees is something I think people could be encouraged to do, for money (quests/jobs), or if the simulated world had religions or politics, for favor.  In game organizations, like a pro-ecology group, could consider this a form of currency or good will.  If you want to become leader of a group like Greenpeace, you'd better plant a few trees.

The rare herbs thing converts well to a open-world communal event type of quest.  It's voluntary, can support any number of people, and is a fixed event (timed).  If people don't gather enough herbs, poor old Beallo (NPC) will die and the best pie maker will be gone.   Just keep the event as a one-off event (something many games don't do).
    The problem is of course that the early players will hoard all the valuable materials and leave new players with sharpened rocks. Ok, it depends a bit on how you do things, if the more common materials are plenty enough and players can farm the far harder to refine bog iron (something the vikings tended to utilize but few others) it get less bad but while it is nice to get some bonus for being an early player you can't make them insanely rich compared to everyone else.

That is assuming you want new players after launch.

Trees and herbs is as you say not a huge problem since they can both be planted or just grow up anyways (trees do that, had a bunch in my lawn when I moved in and herbs even more so). But you must make  more of the finite resources avaliable now and then or the economy will die as people who actually are hoarding either just keep it on their bank or leave the game.

That isn't even the hard part, the hard part is to trickle in enough resources so you replace the people quitting but not too much at the same time, at least not of the ones you want rare.

Coal and iron are among the most common elements out there so having a lot of it is not a problem but things like gold, diamonds and mithril need to be handled carefully. And you can't just let a few early start players get it all or you will turn off most of your potential players by making it only fun for the first players.

I am not saying it can't be done, just that it is hard and you will need to consider how to do it very carefully.
    Vrika said:
    If players rule the world, eventually creation and destruction needs to be in balance: For every NPC, monster, and boss killed a new one needs to be born, spawned, or created. For every tree felled and ore mined there needs to be a new one or they'll run out.

But if you allow players to destroy the world there's no need for such balance: The players would get to be a force that burns towns and uses their NPC population as slaves until they drop dead, exhausts rare natural resources, hunts legendary monsters into extinction, eventually takes down even the largest NPC cities, strongholds, and kingdoms with their armies.

Then once high-end resources are getting scarce they'd get to trigger the world-destruction event and get another pristine world to pillage.
    Uhm, is it just me or that does sound super evil? I mean really truly insane?

You murder, pillage and destroy the entire game until it is all gone? I  am not against playing a villain but that gameplay would shock even Atilla the Hun.

No, I don't that gameplay would get many players, sorry. That makes Darkfall, Mortal online and pre Trammel UO care.bear games in comparision.