Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fortnite Early Access: On Its Way to Excellence - The RPG Files - MMORPG.com

124»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited July 2017
    SEANMCAD said:

now the most important one:
    2. WHAT 
    IS
    YOUR
    POINT
    EXACTLY?

I think I was very clear on what my point was. You found the words "open world" because you were searching for it. You HAD to search for it to find it.  People that don't know anything about fortnite will search for fortnite and fine... exactly what I showed you.  None of it said open world.
    cool story? i guess 

ok

thanks?
    still not sure I see an underlining point there but ok

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• saintriku92saintriku92 Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Fortnite is the best open world sandbox zombie shooter space sim flight sim tower defense building crafting scifi racing mining swimming jumping puzzle simulator ever created, get over it seanmcad. its so much better than your favorite game. Do you see what im getting at yet?
    maskedweaselesc-joconnor
    edited July 2017
    Fortnite is the best open world sandbox zombie shooter space sim flight sim tower defense building crafting scifi racing mining swimming jumping puzzle simulator ever created, get over it seanmcad. its so much better than your favorite game. Do you see what im getting at yet?
    yes but your wrong.

a wiki for the game doesnt just randomly add 'open world' to the game title description. Wikipedia.com doesnt just randomly call it a 'sandbox'. 3 articles dont randomly just start talking about open world features. people dont just randomly start posting about it being open world. if they did, it would RNG to people saying 'its a great puzzle game' as well but they dont. its contently this one thing which if your suggesting is random, which is startically near impossible to happen this many times. so its coming from somewhere that is not random. are YOU seeing what I am getting at here?

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Why are you guys letting yourselves be trolled , dont feed it , ignore it , and it will go away
    esc-joconnor
    Scorchien said:
    Why are you guys letting yourselves be trolled , dont feed it , ignore it , and it will go away
    I dont know.

I dont know what their point even is with this whole open world thing

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:
    I dont know.

pot meet kettle
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:
    I dont know.

pot meet kettle
    what are you saying exactly?

edited July 2017
    Torval said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    Regardless whether some of us consider that to meet out concept of open world the fact is EPIC didn't promote the game as such which was the complaint of the poster who kicked off this ridiculous argument.
    but what you dont understand is how marketing works. They dont have to explicitly say it as part of an official advertisement. 
    if they use the word enough at trade shows, or when a journalist site calls them up to describe the game and they use that word or they have their pawns post on web forms or create fan sites (and yes this does happen) and use the word then the word gets around and people buy it expecting it because it becomes common.

Its EXACTLY the same thing that happen with The Division. ubi never offically called it an MMO yet by magic eveyone was talking about it in the terms of an MMO? really?
    No, what I don't do is give a fuck about that. I totally understand that. I live in a corporate world and deal with GE, Cerner, Epic (medical not gaming), NextGen, etc. I'm very much used to what corporate people talk about off the record and their personal perceptions, and what a company officially promotes, markets, and stands behind. They're different.

So I don't care if there was some conspiratorial agenda, you have yet to prove, that they wanted "Open World" out there so bad they'd circumvent normal marketing for the risk of a secret viral word of mouth campaign. It's so ridiculous to even consider without a shred of evidence that I won't.

What we or anyone else talks about it is their responsibility. Some might even consider it open world and not be wrong. So what you're proposing doesn't interest me. I've already reasoned through that it's complete crap without proof and even with proof unworthy of any further concern.

Reality check here says that if they wanted to call it open world, redefining the term if they felt like it, and could totally get away with it. So why even bother with improbability they tried to market the game like that.

File this under: The stupid irrelevant shit gamers get hung up on.
    I have no idea what you point is.

look, someone here said 'why did they say its open world when its not' I read that and thought 'well yeah I read two posts just last week of people describing that its open world not surprised this poster thinks the same thing'

ok..well...cool story. 
    YES its painfully obvious that the game has been given the impression of being open world. its in the goddamn description for the wiki (2 wikis!) for fuck sake come down to earth and stop being a tin foil hat please.

BUT...so what? who cares? not me, I am just making an observation.

(FYI: game wikis have to be accurate to work)

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Kinda of a semi open-world, would never consider it even just based on being mission/instance based, but for the fact, the maps are fairly large and nonlinear.

Also: http://massivelyop.com/2017/07/25/fortnite-hints-at-open-world-mode-to-come-in-the-future/

Really interesting if they are indeed considering something of bigger scale to be open-world.
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    edited August 2017
    Whether some guy misread what he heard about some game and then posted it to a forum and then someone else copied and pasted what they posted, or whether some PR person misspoke at some bar at a gaming convention and someone decided to update a Wiki post based on the drunken comment isn't important in the grand scheme of things.

It's also not important if a few select individuals seem to have a vendetta against EPIC and/or Fortnite. They're allowed to have their opinions just like more positive individuals.

As a gamer, what's important is whether people are enjoying the game or not.

I've seen a lot of posts from people that HAVE played the game and seem to enjoy it.

I've seen a few posts from people that HAVE played it and enjoy it but think it needs some improvement.

I've seen a LOT of posts from people that have NOT played it and have nothing good to say about it.

So hopefully for people that read these posts looking to see if they'd like a game or not they'll pay more attention to people with actual experience and less attention to some very Negative Nancy's that haven't even bothered to touch the game before spewing hate over and over and over and over.

Me personally, my wife and I have been playing the heck out of it since it released on PS4 and we just can't get enough of it. My wife gets a kick out of destroying any building she comes upon, and I cackle madly as I watch the Husk (the game's zombies) traverse along trap infested corridors of doom that I create. So put me into the category of people that HAVE played it and enjoy it.

We also like to support games that we enjoy. If there are subscriptions, we subscribe. If their business model has you buy stuff, we do it. Developers have to eat, and if we want more games that we like to be developed, it helps for those types of games to make more money. Fortnite definitely hits a lot of our "likes" in games so they definitely deserve some of our money.
    maskedweasel
    edited August 2017
    sschrupp said:

It's also not important if a few select individuals seem to have a vendetta against EPIC and/or Fortnite. They're allowed to have their opinions just like more positive individuals.

my war is not again Epic. its against blantant hypocracy and double standards of gamers.

i dont mind people telling me that indie X game is a POS.

what I mind is people saying 'that indie game should not be charaging money in early access for what will be a free to play game, charging people real money for loot crates while its in early access AND charging more for the game in early access then a full retail game!'
    then turn around and be totally cool with all of that if its not an indie

that is where my gears start to grind.

now what would be a good compromise is for people to say 'you know what? since charging for a free to play game while its in early access, getting real money from loot crates while its in early access and charging more than full retail price while its in early access is all ok, maybe it aint so bad that a company is working on a DLC while the game is still in early access'

sschrupp said:
    We also like to support games that we enjoy. If there are subscriptions, we subscribe. If their business model has you buy stuff, we do it. Developers have to eat, and if we want more games that we like to be developed, it helps for those types of games to make more money. Fortnite definitely hits a lot of our "likes" in games so they definitely deserve some of our money.
    Yup this is what determines the success or not, EPIC did admit to the problems in how they present loot but the side of that it's just a matter of balance, that support and revenue need to withstand. 

Today from indies having to sustain themselves before release, to publishers who want to prove the profitability of a game and monetize it before it releases, the monetization models are being implemented very early.
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    As a side note, thanks @SEANMCAD for pointing out the erroneous wiki articles. It looks like back in 2012 someone thought to describe Fortnite as a survival game. Epic describes it as an Action Building game and I have updated the wiki sites so as to avoid further confusion in other gamers checking it out. Wiki articles are only helpful if they're kept up-to-date.

I think between 2012 and now the term "Survival game" has evolved quite a bit. Prior to 2013 (DayZ mod came out) a game was considered "survival" if it had any number of survival-ish components which I suppose Fortnite would have had plenty of. After DayZ was released "survival game" really started to focus on certain elements I think. Now when a person hears "survival game" they instantly start thinking things like "need to find food and water or your character dies".
    maskedweasel
    edited August 2017
    sschrupp said:
    As a side note, thanks @SEANMCAD for pointing out the erroneous wiki articles. It looks like back in 2012 someone thought to describe Fortnite as a survival game. Epic describes it as an Action Building game and I have updated the wiki sites so as to avoid further confusion in other gamers checking it out. Wiki articles are only helpful if they're kept up-to-date.
    The previous descriptions are of upmost irrelevancy due to the nature of the alpha they had.

At one point, Fortnite even was a PvP game, it no longer applies by any means, it was just things they explored during the alpha until they settled with what type of play they would go for.

So yeah, old 3rd party info should be ignored until brought up-to-date.
    maskedweaselsschrupp
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I take only one positive from this game.

I have longed for Epic games to get into the mmorpg fray,i believe if they were serious enough to commit 5-7 years,they would make a mmorpg better than anything else on the market.

The problem is that Epic has never seemed to have the time to afford 5+ years,that is why they make 2 year games,they are faster to market,less commitment while still allowing them to support and work on their game engine.

Who knows maybe one day they might just DO IT,maybe hire 1-2 other firms to help them affording enough manpower to shorten development and give us our first AAA mmorpg.

Yeah yeah i can dream,not likely to happen though.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.