Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BioWare Montreal Absorbed by EA Motive - Mass Effect: Andromeda - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageBioWare Montreal Absorbed by EA Motive - Mass Effect: Andromeda - MMORPG.com

Mass Effect: Andromeda News - BioWare Montreal is no more. It has been literally merged with EA Motive with remaining employees being moved to the studio to "help develop a new IP". EA Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen said, "We're building out a new studio in Montreal, as we've told everyone. And we've hired over 100 people for that studio that are brand new to EA. This is to build the new IP around Jade Raymond's team that she's been building. We brought our BioWare Montreal team into that same facility."

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Don't worry, these guys will continue turning great franchises into mediocre games - just under different label.
    AeanderArskaaaLeguma11Psym0nKyleranBeezerbeezDeadindbcbullyAsmodeuXIRandomand 11 others.

Thank you for your time!

• TheScoxTheScox Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Thats what they get for fucking up Mass Effect...
    Asm0deusArskaaamrputtsSiugAgent_JosephzigalucardMargraveAlomar
  • Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Rest in Peace.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    For some reason this reminds me of how Palpatine's lightning backfired to his face, destroyed the illusion and revealed his true corrupted nature.
    Caffynated
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    thats a good move by EA .. its business
    GdemamiwingoodAgent_Joseph
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    Yes it's brutal out there.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Bioware Montreal's only two games have been laughably mediocre entries.

Dragon Age Inquisition was boredom incarnate. An inferior cast of characters, a lack of compelling choices, poor combat, non-existent class balance, and horrid MMO style questing in a single player game do not a competent RPG make. It was a game without a soul, and the only reason it even gets recognition is because Dragon Age 2 was considered to be even worse.

Mass Effect Andromeda was, compared to Dragon Age Inquisition, one step forward and two steps back. The combat and classes now felt great to utilize, but everything else was flat out worse. The cast went from inferior to previous offerings to straight up tofu levels of bland. The story alternated between laughable and embarrassing. The dialogue frequently felt like it was pulled directly from a soap opera. Quite frankly, the animation issues were only the embarrassing icing on the cake that perfectly visually encapsulated the rest of the experience.
    SoulsemmerGdemamiPhrySBFordpsychosiz1Leguma11IRandombartoni33winghaven1Agent_Josephand 2 others.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited July 2017
    I read the statement and all it says is that they brought BioWare Montréal into the same (new) facility as EA Motive.

Both Motive and BioWare Montréal were already in the same building before they created this new facility (in EA Montréal old office, BioWare used to share the place with EA Visceral before it was shutdown in 2013)...I think some people are reading a bit too much into this "news".
    SoulsemmerGdemamiMrMelGibson
  • SoulsemmerSoulsemmer Member UncommonPosts: 28

azarhal said:

I read the statement and all it says is that they brought BioWare Montréal into the same (new) facility as EA Motive.

Both Motive and BioWare Montréal were already in the same building before they created this new facility (in EA Montréal old office, BioWare used to share the place with EA Visceral before it was shutdown in 2013)...I think some people are reading a bit too much into this "news".

Man, I hope so. I feel like people came down too hard on Andromeda, would be a shame to see this team gone over it.
    AlverantwingoodMrMelGibsonMazingerZ
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    edited July 2017

azarhal said:

Man, I hope so. I feel like people came down too hard on Andromeda, would be a shame to see this team gone over it.

I dont think people are understanding what happened here....even thou its spelled out in the release, BW Mont. was absorbed (no confirmed layoffs) and in fact 100 new people were hired to work on a new IP. So to sum it up, no talent lost, and new talent also hired...win win
    MrMelGibson
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    "We are the EA, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated..." :D
    Phrypantaropsychosiz1wingoodsaintriku92bcbullyIRandommrputtswinghaven1MrMelGibsonand 3 others.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited July 2017
    ianicus said:

azarhal said:

I dont think people are understanding what happened here....even thou its spelled out in the release, BW Mont. was absorbed (no confirmed layoffs) and in fact 100 new people were hired to work on a new IP. So to sum it up, no talent lost, and new talent also hired...win win
    Both Motive and BioWare Montréal were already in the same building before they were moved to the new place. EA always hosted all their studios in the same building in Montréal (in La Place Ville Marie since 2004).

This announcement is just EA Montréal (which is 3 sub studios: BioWare Montréal, EA Motive and a Frostybe team) moving to new office spaces (in La Maison Alcan). Their is nothing about BioWare Montréal getting merged with EA Motive in those statements.
    Local newspaper were pretty clear last year that EA wasn't keeping their La Place Ville Marie floors.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    DMKano said:
    This was the last remenant of Bioware left - other Bioware locations got merged with EA already over the last 3 years.
    He predicted the future.
    [Deleted User]IRandomMrMelGibsonCaffynatedMargraveAlomarXarko

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    DMKano said:
    This was the last remenant of Bioware left - other Bioware locations got merged with EA already over the last 3 years.
    He predicted the future.
    I miss Pandemic. Another true SW Battlefront would be amazing.
    bcbully
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited July 2017
    Agreed. The title said "absorbed" and the article stated that they had moved into the new offices together. The key here is that the BioWare name is disappearing, not necessarily the people. The folks who remained at BW Montreal moved in with the Motive folks, that's true. However, the personnel that worked on MEA was reduced drastically after the launch of Andromeda. So this particular move didn't see any personnel loss but there was a significant RIF after MEA's launch.

It's semantics, really, but important. The BioWare name is disappearing and perhaps it's the ultimate goal. When people hear the name "BioWare", they are looking for and expecting a specific type of deep roleplaying experience that the most recent games haven't totally lived up to for many people. If they just canned the name altogether and slapped everything under EA's moniker, well, that'd pretty much eliminate people looking for what BW used to deliver.

For the record, I loved both MEA and DAI.
    Post edited by SBFord on
    [Deleted User]LivedefflowingoodinfomatzMrMelGibsonMazingerZ

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Bioware Edmonton was main studio for dragon age inquisition, Bioware Montreal was main studio for mass effect andromeda. 

I got no idea what people are talking about when they say that the bioware name is disappearing. Bioware Edmonton is the original bioware studio and it still goes under the bioware brand.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited July 2017
    I'm starting to believe the Reapers actually won that last battle against Shepard. :-(
    Clearly, some EA CEOs have been indoctrinated...
    Mass Effect 3 Indoctrinated Illusive Man concept design
    ghettocelebGobstopper3DSBFordCogohi

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I'm starting to believe the Reapers actually won that last battle against Shepard. :-(
    Clearly, some EA CEOs have been indoctrinated...
    Mass Effect 3 Indoctrinated Illusive Man concept design
    Yeah the developers are the reapers and they are the ones who reaped the life out of the game );...
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    A satellite studio is only useful to the parent company when it generates positive buzz or at the very least, it quietly flies under the radar. That wasn't the case for Bioware Montreal.

Whether Montreal deserved its bad rep or not, the public perception is that it did. This is just a reasonable PR move under the circumstances.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080
    edited July 2017
    BioWare Edmonton has always been the primary HQ for the company. BioWare Austin is the newest one, but there were articles months ago about BioWare looking to use the Austin branch for new games in the future, and they have been hiring, so it's possible this has been planned to take place for a while now. Edmonton and/or Austin may be the ones to develop future Mass Effect games. I find it highly doubtful that EA or BioWare is willing to drop a cash cow because of reviews. They most likely will try at least one more time, and see what happens. Ultimately, money talks and Andromeda was a huge commercial success, which has also been reviewed significantly more positively over time, and many long time fans really liked the game over-all.. Also, BioWare has been hiring veteran developers recently for both Edmonton and Austin studios, including one of the original lead developers for the original Mass Effect trilogy. If EA was looking to shut down or erase BioWare then I highly doubt they would be looking for high profile and most likely expensive hires on the BioWare teams.
    AndrewGoat
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Bioware Montreal was always considered a HELP OUT facility,so all of a sudden changing offices seems weird.Why would anything change in the structured system,why not just remain and help out Motive studios,who last i read were working on some Star Wars game.
    I guess it tells the obvious,money was not so good for the greedy EA execs.

I believe there is more to it that has to do with the massive tax breaks in Montreal.I read that they could claim back as much as 25k per job...well.....

Imagine same building,just move the same people around job to job and get the kickback to be far and above the 25k,perhaps now 75k for that one person if given several different positions within different studios.So Bioware claims back 25k,then Motive claims another 25k for that same person,i could totally see them pulling it off.
    So perhaps changes in the tax break structure no longer allow them to  do it,so now time to run out of one studio.

Just guessing of course,but obviously moves happen for or because of money issues,they don't just randomly say .."hey let's do this change just because we can".

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    there wont be MEA dlcs i guess, there might be one but that is about it, maybe after DA4 bioware edmonton will work on next mass effect title but it is going to take long long time even if they work on it.
    SBFord
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    EA is the grim reaper of game developers, and good IPs.
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    It looks like they have been brought under one roof to work on a new Star Wars title.

https://techraptor.net/content/bioware-montreal-merge-ea-motive

“We’re building out a new studio in Montreal, as we’ve told everyone. And we’ve hired over 100 people into that studio that are brand-new to EA. This is to build the new IP around Jade Raymond’s team that she’s been building. I was in that studio last month. And it’s a wonderful new addition to our team. And we brought our BioWare Montreal team into that same facility. So they now all sit in one new studio together,” stated Jorgensen.
  • bigb671bigb671 Member UncommonPosts: 22

Aeander said:

Bioware Montreal's only two games have been laughably mediocre entries.

Dragon Age Inquisition was boredom incarnate. An inferior cast of characters, a lack of compelling choices, poor combat, non-existent class balance, and horrid MMO style questing in a single player game do not a competent RPG make. It was a game without a soul, and the only reason it even gets recognition is because Dragon Age 2 was considered to be even worse.

Mass Effect Andromeda was, compared to Dragon Age Inquisition, one step forward and two steps back. The combat and classes now felt great to utilize, but everything else was flat out worse. The cast went from inferior to previous offerings to straight up tofu levels of bland. The story alternated between laughable and embarrassing. The dialogue frequently felt like it was pulled directly from a soap opera. Quite frankly, the animation issues were only the embarrassing icing on the cake that perfectly visually encapsulated the rest of the experience.

Bioware Edmonton developed Inquisition and then moved on Anthem. Montreal's only game was Andromeda.