Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When PvP Isn't About the Kill - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageWhen PvP Isn't About the Kill - MMORPG.com

This week Tim Eisen talks about what drove him and what currently drives him to PVP in MMORPGs.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    "It's not about dunking on people, it's about the journey to the basket"

monochrome19RufusUO
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'm still the same. I have never been a fan of 1v1 or small team quick match PVP. Neither shooters nor MOBAs attract me in the least.

Large, complex, persistent PVP has always been what I like. The more opportunity a game gives me for strategy and tactics, misdirection, feints and massive assaults the more I play it.

That's not to say that those large battles don't also have some coincidental 1v1 or small skirmishes and they can be fun too. But I only really stick with that for any period of time when it's part of a larger whole as in setting ambushes for those trying to reinforce the enemy lines.

The fun is in the strategy and tactics, making complex plans and then playing those out.
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188YashaXRolanStorm
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Jixen9Jixen9 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    i just wish there was better pvp mmorpgs out there... soon hopefully
    Loke666
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    I love the danger... not knowing what lurks around the corner... or who might be hunting you.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited July 2017
    If the reward is great enough I'll take the risk, become great and kill all of you. Smash your carts, Kill your siege line, take your pride. Who gonna stop me?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I was going to say the article makes me think it's just a case of a PKer who can't cut the mustard anymore and so has been forced to wax philosophical about the situation, but the comments have helped me understand better, I think.

Sounds like it comes down to real live people provide more of a challenge than AI (PvE) and that forces people to work together, make plans, and rely on each other.

Which is what they should do in any MMORPG, but in the PvE you get swamped with people who just want to level up as fast as possible, and they can because there's no real people standing in their way, so they don't bother with all that.

Also, I see references to large battles and persistence, and I think the former is mostly because that's what leads to the latter -- guild wars and individual battles contribute to holding onto territory -- unlike running through a PvE game, this allows you to feel like you've played a part in something that lasts, something that the people fighting with you appreciate.

And I think I've come to have more respect and appreciation for the whole PvP scene.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    PvP and PvE is as complex as the people who play them and the reasons they play them which are legion.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    bcbully said:
    If the reward is great enough I'll take the risk, become great and kill all of you. Smash your carts, Kill your siege line, take your pride. Who gonna stop me?
    I will :)
    bcbully
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    PvP and PvE is as complex as the people who play them and the reasons they play them which are legion.
    PvP, sure. PvE not so much anymore besides raiding. 

Most "challenges" in most games are so easy now that people wont bother using any tactics at all, just running around and smashing things.

Real players will be challenging (at least if the powergap between your team and the enemy is within acceptable reach) since good players will use tactical decisions to use the games mechanics and outsmart your tactics. Even very basic mechanics work there.

The average MMO AI is really dumb and when they nerf down the mobs HP and damage while using a very basic system it wont get complex unless you face the toughest things in the game.
  • RufusUORufusUO Member UncommonPosts: 37
    When I log into UO, one of the first things I do is go to Fel Yew moongate. On Atlantic, that's where PVP has always been. Nowadays, it's usually pretty desolate, but weekend-nights you can still find some action. The population is so low now that often you can just go stand there and watch others duke it out and nobody will attack you, because they recognize you're a spectator trying to enjoy a nice match. I miss the good old days of massive faction warfare in UO!
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    One question to author: what game at the moment provides such a journey?
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited July 2017

TimEisen said:

PVE is more about repetition and predictability. Once the pattern is figured out it can be done the same way continuously. That is why it loses me where the human enemy is less predictable, most of the time.

you don't say!? :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Iselin said:
    I'm still the same. I have never been a fan of 1v1 or small team quick match PVP. Neither shooters nor MOBAs attract me in the least.

Large, complex, persistent PVP has always been what I like. The more opportunity a game gives me for strategy and tactics, misdirection, feints and massive assaults the more I play it.

That's not to say that those large battles don't also have some coincidental 1v1 or small skirmishes and they can be fun too. But I only really stick with that for any period of time when it's part of a larger whole as in setting ambushes for those trying to reinforce the enemy lines.

The fun is in the strategy and tactics, making complex plans and then playing those out.
    I agree with almost all of this, save for I also enjoy MOBA games when they're focused very heavily on skill and have no "gear" that would give someone a direct advantage of another player.

If gear is involved or its not almost strictly a skill-based game (ala MMORPGs, with the levels and gear systems), I prefer the large scale as well.  Less focus on what you're wearing compared to your opponent, more focused on how you use you and your opponent's advantages/disadvantages in the best manner possible.

• ZachellZachell Member CommonPosts: 2

TimEisen said:

One question to author: what game at the moment provides such a journey?

None. That is the problem with the genre at the moment. EVE can do it. Darkfall was probably the last game that felt like I describe.

That's the question I was going to ask.

I have tried so many games that are so disappointing... lack of pvp and lack of challenge. So many games I have tried are so easy you can hardly die if you tried.

I played Dark age of Camelot for years untell the PVP server died.

I long for a good PVP game.... hopefully Camelot unchained will satisfy when it's finally released.