Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chicago 'Fest' Attendees Suing Niantic After Weekend Fiasco - Pokemon Go - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageChicago 'Fest' Attendees Suing Niantic After Weekend Fiasco - Pokemon Go - MMORPG.com

Pokemon Go News - Last weekend, Pokemon Go fans gathered in Chicago for the inaugural "Fest" event and were met with a slew of issues making the game unplayable for nearly the entirety of the event. According to the suit's organizer, Chicago attorney Thomas Zimmerman, many fans would like to have travel costs reimbursed after coming to the event from out of state or even out of the country. So far, plaintiffs number "20 or 30" according to Zimmerman, a number that is likely to grow as news of the suit spreads.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LokiFMLokiFM Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Bwhaha... Oh they are serious?
  • ThelricThelric Member UncommonPosts: 30
    it's Chicago, something is bound to go wrong.
    Octagon7711
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    wait wait wait, they made an organized event, sold tickets, and then didn't concider the growth of netusage in that area?

pure genius :)
    Kyleran

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Thane said:
    wait wait wait, they made an organized event, sold tickets, and then didn't concider the growth of netusage in that area?

Considering they (niantic) have no control over the wireless data network, wouldn't matter if they had...I find it HIGHLY unlikely the mobile providers would bring in additional temporary data capacity for a one day event. Suits got about as much traction as molasses running uphill.
    Oy-jord
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Just another attorney with dollar signs in his eye.
    SBFordwingoodOy-jord
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    ianicus said:
    Thane said:

Considering they (niantic) have no control over the wireless data network, wouldn't matter if they had...I find it HIGHLY unlikely the mobile providers would bring in additional temporary data capacity for a one day event. Suits got about as much traction as molasses running uphill.
    Niantic did plan the event with network providers and some of them also brought additional bandwidth for the event:

https://nianticlabs.com/blog/gofestupdate072517/
    MadFrenchieOy-jord[Deleted User]Octagon7711ianicus

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Vrika said:
    ianicus said:
    Thane said:

Niantic did plan the event with network providers and some of them also brought additional bandwidth for the event:

If that's the case, wouldn't the suit hold more water if it was directed at the network providers instead of Niantic?

This is akin to suing Metallica because their agent booked a concert at the local event arena, only to have the event arena's equipment fail the night of the event.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
     Hey it is Chicago!  They should be glad they didnt get shot.

Octagon7711
  • zenomexzenomex Member UncommonPosts: 242
    complaining is easy
  • sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Really what should have happened was a bank of wireless routers. 20-30 people per router and priority to niantic servers(or a local server specific to the event that would also prevent location cheaters). Players could have been given a ticket with router name and password when they entered.
     I've been here a while...
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319
    I hope the suit succeeds. Niantic failed in their promises then insulted the players again by only offering "in store credit" as compensation for their failure. If you spend hundreds of dollars to go to an event and the event fails through no fault of your own, you deserve to get your money back - and that money includes travel expenses.
    Oy-jordunfilteredJW
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319

ianicus said:

Thane said:

If that were true, why did Niantic create the event in the first place? They shouldn't pass the buck and realize they messed up when they decided to hold a big event for a mobile game then not think through how all those people in one place will get on their network. It's an utter failure of Niantic to think things through. That makes it their responsibility.
  • JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    I wish them luck, sounds like some one was buttthurt and needs a teddy bear and some hot cocoa to make themselves feel better ❄❄❄. Don't forget that everyone attending also got a Legendary Pokemon as well that they didn't need to battle to catch. The catch rate for Legendary Pokemon is about 2%...
    forcelimaOy-jord
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited July 2017
    Someone forgot to notify the cell companies about the event. They could have probably brought in extra mobile APs. Plus service isn't good by the lake on a normal day. Oh well...

I see they did plan the event with local providers.  Looks like they did bring mobile towers but not enough.  I thought they would because everyone who lives and works in the area is also affected plus they have a lot of festivals going on at the same time so even more congestion.
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Yep ill hop on pokemon go later today and see what has changed :3.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Vrika said:
    ianicus said:
    Thane said:

If that's the case, wouldn't the suit hold more water if it was directed at the network providers instead of Niantic?

This is akin to suing Metallica because their agent booked a concert at the local event arena, only to have the event arena's equipment fail the night of the event.
    No, you can only sue the party who sold you the service.

Niantic organized and sold you tickets to Pokemon Go Fest in Chicago, so you can sue them for "failing to ensure that their event area had enough mobile bandwidth for online portion of the event".

Your mobile operator built a mobile network that covers up most of the country and sold you mobile broadband access for months or years depending on your agreement. It's much harder to sue them for not doing their job because "On day X of month Y they did not temporary have enough mobile capacity in a single park and this problem lasted for less than a day". Your mobile operator is not responsible for delivering your 100% trouble free uptime no matter where you are, the tech isn't that good and reliable.

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Yeah I ran a speed test at the event. I was getting .04 mbps. That wasn't Niantic fault that was Verizons fault. I walked one block away and it jumped up to 7mbps.
    Octagon7711

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Alverant said:

ianicus said:

Thane said:

If that were true, why did Niantic create the event in the first place? They shouldn't pass the buck and realize they messed up when they decided to hold a big event for a mobile game then not think through how all those people in one place will get on their network. It's an utter failure of Niantic to think things through. That makes it their responsibility.
    As they say hindsight is 20/20...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited July 2017
    Vrika said:
    Vrika said:
    ianicus said:
    Thane said:

No, you can only sue the party who sold you the service.

Niantic organized and sold you tickets to Pokemon Go Fest in Chicago, so you can sue them for "failing to ensure that their event area had enough mobile bandwidth for online portion of the event".

Your mobile operator built a mobile network that covers up most of the country and sold you mobile broadband access for months or years depending on your agreement. It's much harder to sue them for not doing their job because "On day X of month Y they did not temporary have enough mobile capacity in a single park and this problem lasted for less than a day". Your mobile operator is not responsible for delivering your 100% trouble free uptime no matter where you are, the tech isn't that good and reliable.
    Makes sense.  So Niantic would be the one to attempt to hold the network providers liable.  I'm guessing you'd have to prove the network providers were negligent in preparing their networks for the event, which would be rather hard to do.  Well, that blew up for Niantic, even if the lawsuit fails.

EDIT- I should say that assumes Niantic offered some sort of payment to the network providers for providing adequat capacity.

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    edited July 2017
    Vrika said:
    ianicus said:
    Thane said:

That has happened before, and people got their money back. 
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited July 2017
    Realizer said:
    Vrika said:
    ianicus said:
    Thane said:

That has happened before, and people got their money back. 
    Did they also get travel expenses reimbursed in that example?  That's what the current law suit for this situation is asking for.
    they better finish the suit fast, Chicago bout to get nuked by N. Korea...
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
    Nyctelios said:
    Someone forgot to notify the cell companies about the event. They could have probably brought in extra mobile APs. Plus service isn't good by the lake on a normal day. Oh well...
    They did.
    per users here that were on site, thier speedtests confirmed the mobile network was congested. there were very few additional users logged into pokemon go that day than there normaly would be thier server would have been fine considering the popularity it withstood less than 6 months ago (user numbers are down) This is due to mobile network limitations and the mobile providers are under NO OBLIGATION to accommodate that event at thier cost
  • toolaktoolak Member UncommonPosts: 154
    ROFL who sets an event in the murder capitol of the USA that involves a bunch of millenials wandering around staring at ezpensive phones and not minding where they are going in search of that snorlax. Im honestly suprised that no one ended up dead.