Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TheHiveLeader - Launch Impressions, Thoughts, and Concerns

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited July 2017 in Videos Discussion

Read the full story here

Secret World Legends launched over a month ago, and now that TheHiveLeader has hit max level, it's time to talk about the game in detail. Also... he's in the game as a voice! So get to level 50 to hear him! Also play Secret World Legends. It's free, and it's a good game. Let's do this!

Post edited by SBFord on
psychosiz1

Comments

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    I uninstalled yesterday. Financial model is a disaster, being able to P2Win ap/sp is just NO. If you want to sell cosmetics i can dig that but using a dropbox-key model is just a petty cash grab.

Oh and the final straw is NOT having a true 64bit client.

I gave this game 30 days... It still fails. Good luck with the steam launch because that crowd is unforgiving.
    GdemamiJeroKanedaltaniousPhryAgent_JosephHarikenTerrybled
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    huh, I like the idea of skills/magic "whatever" that are double edged swords. Use it in a certain way or by a certain time or else get hurt.

For my tastes that "works for me".
    Octagon7711
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I am enjoying this game and having a good time playing. The game seems healthy judging by the number of players. Agartha always seems packed and I dont have many issue finding people to play with in different areas. Many people on steam seem to be aware of the model of this game and the early forum posts suggest they are going to be somewhat accepting. Their complaining will come from anything regarding money but the game content will be well received imo. I do think people will figure things out in terms of how to play to suit their needs. Like any game, especially with this type of game on steam, it will have those who hate, and those who don't. The game is good enough to overcome those early haters imo.
    psychosiz1EvilGeekAgent_JosephOctagon7711
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    I was REALLY liking the game until I hit 50. Now SP and AP come too slowly. It seems to slow to me anyway.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

strykr619 said:

I uninstalled yesterday. Financial model is a disaster, being able to P2Win ap/sp is just NO. If you want to sell cosmetics i can dig that but using a dropbox-key model is just a petty cash grab.

I gave this game 30 days... It still fails. Good luck with the steam launch because that crowd is unforgiving.

Have to agree. The whole payment model and how it's implemented is one of the worst I have seen in a while!

Loot model is total junk! A complete joke! Just to force people to gamble with loot boxes and buying keys!
    Running dungeons is useless... again because of piss poor loot model! /shrug

The Secret World was a great game! It's an utter shame Secret World Legends is created around a pure greed F2P model, rivaling crap companies like PWE/Cryptic and the like. /Sigh
    daltaniousPhryGdemamiHarikenOctagon7711
  • Vorch21Vorch21 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    + Yep combat and skills system looks a bit mindless. People around just smash almost same basic attack + few meta skills. Not very variative ((. If count each weapon as architype/role - than even ..... E V E N in Diablo 3 player has more really diverse build variants and playstyles per class with rune system.
    daltaniousHariken
  • seraphicasseraphicas Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Wildstar doesn't get love but this one does?
    sumdumguy1psychosiz1ThumbtackJdaltaniousHuntrezzOctagon7711Mitara[Deleted User]MayorDasMoose
  • Heatsink00Heatsink00 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    The loot model on this game is a disaster. Players receive garbage even from elite dungeons. Find a shiny new piece of equipment, though? You can't use it until you've gone through the same slog upgrading, and then more upgrading, and upgrading some more. You can't use an upgraded piece of equipment to upgrade another because a mythic item is worth the same upgrade XP as a crappy green.
    daltaniousPhryJeroKaneHarikenOctagon7711
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    The story in this game is amazing.  The combat is improved significantly.  The upgrading process in this game is time consuming and requires lots of patience.  I chose to create one character for each faction with the weapon choice defining the role I will choose for the elite and beyond levels.  One of the most difficult aspects is you need to spec a dps to do the main missions for the most part.  I can't imagine maxing out all three of my characters.  While I am playing and enjoying the game now, like many others, I game hop between a few games then come back after awhile.  I plan to stay with this game for awhile and I will be taking my time.

On a side note, this game has over 3,000 reviews already on steam and the scores are very positive  which is a good sign.  I think with a game like this, you almost have to look at the long haul.  The issue is in today's instant I want it now society, some people will be turned off by the time required to effectively level a character or two.
    daltanioussumdumguy1HuntrezzOctagon7711
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    The game isn't pay 2 win sure you get AP/SP Faster but you do not have to pay anything.
    psychosiz1Scorchien
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    edited July 2017
    So it's better to subscribe for the end game experience? Don't see that as pay to win... Every game until the last few years has been a subscription based. Be happy the core is free now.

My only complaint so far (I didn't play TSW) is trying to figure out how to rebind left/right click. Shift should be sprint, which is easy to bind, but I can't bind dodge to right click like I'm used to elsewhere.

How is the challenge of level 50 content? Will I be disappointed in easiness? or will this give me the difficulty I crave?

Edit: To better suit the question, should I subscribe to this or DCUO? I'm tied trying to find an MMO to drop 20 or so on for a long run. "Action" combat games are too few, but every one of them seems to be getting revamps lately. 
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    I miss the wheel and combat seems much easier in a way that can be a challenge but generally not. I am casual and not optimized in the least. I was in the Hell story dungeon for Transylvania and my two teammates died early in final fight. I was able to beat the boss by myself. I wouldn't have been able to do that in TSW. Just pointing out things are easier now.

I agree that SWL is fine and needs to fix a few things but it is just fine except for story which a lot of it is really really good so worth playing just for that in my opinion. For being able to control your character though the game really offers little without lots of grinding or spending real life currency though I see people talking and posting about it is that way for the whales.
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited July 2017

On a side note, this game has over 3,000 reviews already on steam and the scores are very positive  which is a good sign.  I think with a game like this, you almost have to look at the long haul.  The issue is in today's instant I want it now society, some people will be turned off by the time required to effectively level a character or two.

People are already level 50 and were some time back. Folks in my Cabal were 'dinging' level 50 at least a week ago. I think the whole "people being put off by the time required to effectively level a character or two" is out the window at this point.

Clearly, "putting in the time to level a character" is not something FC were too concerned about this time around.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    Downloaded / login fail / checked account / game listed / changed password / login fail / contact support online chate / no one answers / uninstalled

funcom => lazy
     Or you can read the instruction page on their website and link your account to the new client before trying to launch a non existing account. 

GG   You = Lazy https://secretworldlegends.com/news/legacy-transfers/
    ScorchienTalonsin
  • aseras13aseras13 Member UncommonPosts: 1

The story in this game is amazing.  The combat is improved significantly.  The upgrading process in this game is time consuming and requires lots of patience.  I chose to create one character for each faction with the weapon choice defining the role I will choose for the elite and beyond levels.  One of the most difficult aspects is you need to spec a dps to do the main missions for the most part.  I can't imagine maxing out all three of my characters.  While I am playing and enjoying the game now, like many others, I game hop between a few games then come back after awhile.  I plan to stay with this game for awhile and I will be taking my time.

Normally i dont quote people but this is misdirection Funcom doing. Secret World Legends is not out on steam yet, that page and ALL the REVİEWS are for original The Secret World. FUncom just cleverly merged their old page with the new one, so the game can be seen as a huge success when it will be released on steam on 31st july. Dont fall for it.

As a side not, I'm a long time TSW player, what funcom did with TSW legends is nothing but ducking the nearly already perfect game (without the combat aspect) change it completely and serve it again. Nearly everything other than combat and some bug fixes are a huge backstep from the original.

The worst part, if you were at the end of the story at secret world, you need to wait for at least a YEAR. So that funcom can complete the SWL's missing content from the base game.
    Po_ggPhryJeroKaneHariken
  • seraphicasseraphicas Member UncommonPosts: 51
    I'll just throw this out there again. So many people loving on this game, yet I see a game that is worse in every aspect compared to Wildstar. Seriously people.
    sumdumguy1HuntrezzEvilGeekPhryHariken

aseras13 said:

Normally i dont quote people but this is misdirection Funcom doing. Secret World Legends is not out on steam yet, that page and ALL the REVİEWS are for original The Secret World. FUncom just cleverly merged their old page with the new one, so the game can be seen as a huge success when it will be released on steam on 31st july. Dont fall for it.

As a side not, I'm a long time TSW player, what funcom did with TSW legends is nothing but ducking the nearly already perfect game (without the combat aspect) change it completely and serve it again. Nearly everything other than combat and some bug fixes are a huge backstep from the original.

The worst part, if you were at the end of the story at secret world, you need to wait for at least a YEAR. So that funcom can complete the SWL's missing content from the base game.

Actually there are reviews talking about SWL right now. I didn't take the time to read through all of the reviews but SWL is mentioned in some of the reviews I read.
    Huntrezz

I'll just throw this out there again. So many people loving on this game, yet I see a game that is worse in every aspect compared to Wildstar. Seriously people.

Remember Secret World was out almost 2.5 years before Wildstar. Its clear by the number of players and reviews that your opinion is in the minority. I liked Wildstar myself but I like Secret World much more.
    Huntrezz
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited July 2017
    Actually there are reviews talking about SWL right now. I didn't take the time to read through all of the reviews but SWL is mentioned in some of the reviews I read.
    There might be, can't say since I don't steam. But @aseras13 is right in the FC name switching part, it was pretty huge (got even articles on both here and Massively) and lots of players gathered up for deleting their reivews and guides and ratings because they wrote those for TSW and not for Legends.
    And FC did it everywhere, if you look the forum here it also has plenty of several years old threads under the subcategory Legends... time-travel? Nope, FC's shady PR department...

Great vid, Hive, except the ending. They acknowledged it earlier, TSW wasn't even near to a shutdown, quite the opposite. Legends is not here to "save the IP", nor "fix the mistakes in the game" nor "making it available for more people" - it is purely a cash-grab attempt.
    TSW was en route to its well-deserved retirement home (maintenance mode) just like the rest of FC's games, and financing their next game. But then their greedy beancounters noticed the window Exiles provided, and went after this cash-grab attempt instead.

Heh, playing a scen with your own voice must be a surreal experience, puts the "voices in your head" thing to a whole new level :smiley:

I don't get why people are this surprised/shocked on the gearing... it was obvious from the start (I said it right at launch, without even touching Legends http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7185917/#Comment_7185917 ), it's a pure SK grinder mechanic with a heavy push towards the shop. Fits well for the whole design idea of being a cash-grab, might I add.

ed:
    TSW was better than Wildstar (imo) in most aspect, except housing. Wildstar rocks in that area.
    This new Legends version... yeah, I agree with you on that :lol:
    Agent_JosephPhry
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

If you think SWL is bad and people still play it what does that make Wildstar?

I think they are both in the same boat, the one taking on water.

edited July 2017
    -disregard: mmorpg.com's forum/discussion system bugging out again-
    edited July 2017

aseras13 said:

The point is, they're still getting a boost from all the reviews written about TSW, which make it appear that more people are playing, and like SWL. It allows FC to pretend "look how many people are loving SWL!", when the fact of the matter is, people who left positive reviews for TSW, could well have walked away and stopped playing SWL. The only way to know where it really stands is if all those who liked and reviewed TSW positively come back and change their review for SWL to a negative one.

For example, had I reviewed TSW on Steam, it would have been positive because I loved that game as it was.

On the other hand, I consider SWL to be a blatant cash grab, and a blatant, shameless, multi-faceted "F-You" from Funcom to the long-time players who supported the game and stuck by them even through content droughts and uncertainty about the game's, and company's future. The only way people would know my opinion of SWL had changed, would be for me to go back and change my Steam review to reflect that. Otherwise, someone reading my positive review now would assume I was praising the abomination that is SWL.

The *honest* thing to do would have been for them to start with a clean slate, and zero out the reviews to start fresh with SWL. Of course, we're talking about a developer who led players to believe for months they were developing new content for TSW, when they were actually mutating the game into a dumbed-down cash-grab wonderland.

We're talking about the same company who went out of their way to talk about how "people who still like TSW can continue to play! We're not taking it down!", but then neglected to state in that same breath that "oh, by the way, no new content will be added to TSW, and it's effectively a dead game now". You had to search out that bit of information.

And that's only two examples of how abhorrent their handling of this whole situation, and the treatment of their long-time players, has been. There's more.

So yeah, 'honest' is not an adjective I would place in the same dictionary as Funcom at this point, nevermind the same sentence.

I've never said this about any other MMO before, but I sincerely hope this farce blows up in their face, and after its initial honeymoon/novelty period wears off, SWL crashes and burns horribly. FC deserves no better.
    Po_ggOctagon7711
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

strykr619 said:

And don't forget about the punishing of f2 players with the 3 day mission cooldown vs 8 hours for patron players. My friends that i got to try it quit over that crap. And why should they bother when they have so many other games to chose from. Can't wait to see how this mess does on steam.
  • Leguma11Leguma11 Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Its the same freaking game ... no need for a new review ... first look or anything ... they did nothing .... Jezz ... It just a cash grab for the ppl who did not even bother to pay the 10$ for the game when it was Buy to play :) .....
    Phryaliven
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Wildstar doesn't get love but this one does?
    It's the theme.  If WS had a supernatural theme I'd still be playing that one also.  
    Hariken

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey