Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fortnite Early Access: On Its Way to Excellence - The RPG Files - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageFortnite Early Access: On Its Way to Excellence - The RPG Files - MMORPG.com

Fornite’s Early Access version is finally out. Chris dug in and camped out, to take a deep look at the game and let you know just how it stacks up. After years in development, is it worth your time? Read on for our official Early Access review.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• strangesidestrangeside Member UncommonPosts: 19
    When you list off the classes, "Heroes have different specialties that equate to classes: Constructor, Soldier, Ninja, and Scavenger." It should be Outlander not scavenger, good read otherwise!

I'm so addicted to this game.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Is there an ETA for when it goes F2P?  I'd like to give it a try but just can't bring myself to buy it when I know they said it will be F2P at launch.  

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Tested this for over a year ... And still having fun .. ... Great Game that delivers some really great Zombie Blasting Action with plenty of advancement in many ways that keeps you inerested
    sschrupp
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    why do so many of these second rate developers like to use Valves term 'Early Access' when its not on Steam Early Access, these guys have to obfuscate everything
    SBFordMaxBaconpostlarvalsschrupp

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• strangesidestrangeside Member UncommonPosts: 19

Is there an ETA for when it goes F2P?  I'd like to give it a try but just can't bring myself to buy it when I know they said it will be F2P at launch.  

All they have stated is sometime in 2018
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

SEANMCAD said:

why do so many of these second rate developers like to use Valves term 'Early Access' when its not on Steam Early Access, these guys have to obfuscate everything

2nd rate developer? This is Epic Games. Hardly 2nd rate
    I dont agree but we all have opinions

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

SEANMCAD said:

SEANMCAD said:

2nd rate developer? This is Epic Games. Hardly 2nd rate

I dont agree but we all have opinions

The company that developed the Unreal Engine, Gears of War, among other titles could hardly be considered second rate under any interpretation.
    strangesideJeroKane[Deleted User]maskedweaselSovrathSlapshot1188LynxJSAsschrupp
  • LokiFMLokiFM Member UncommonPosts: 10
    To add to Epic Games not being 2nd rate...

How in the world does Steam "own" the word "early-access". lol
    strangeside
    LokiFM said:
    To add to Epic Games not being 2nd rate...

How in the world does Steam "own" the word "early-access". lol
    they dont 'own' it and I never implied that they did.

Its just that the developers who are taking the 'marketing' approach to development stradegies like to borrow terms from others.

its hard to explain but basically when you are looking at it from the outside, the ones that are trying to hyper hype expolit maket the most are the EXACT same ones who are using the term 'early access' but not getting submitting to Steam Early Access. The only scammers who didnt do that was H1Z1

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited July 2017
    Epic Games develops Unreal Engine, so call them 2nd rate when AAA titles are developed on their engine, is rather.... okay...? O.o

Also cool article ;)
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Yeah around 2018.. even if the game feels completed at that moment .. To me , it looks like a cash grab till 2018. Because this game is far from being EA, or alpha or beta. It should be the official launch , but they are *launching the game as early access to cash in.

edited July 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Epic Games develops Unreal Engine, so call them 2nd rate when AAA titles are developed on their engine, is rather.... okay...? O.o

Also cool article ;)
    that is a bit like saying Microsoft is the best IT company around because they invited Windows.

can we for the love of god talk as if its actually 2017 for a change?

BUT to be fair, yeah 2nd rate given Unreal might be over expressive but what I am getting at is basically games that do that are almost always not any good

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited July 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    but what I am getting at is basically games that do that are almost always not any good
    That's like, your opinion man, this company has not only developed one mainstream engine used for many AAA titles today, side of the ones they developed themselves under Unreal.

I think you're a bit too obsessed...
    postlarvalAmathe
    MaxBacon said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    but what I am getting at is basically games that do that are almost always not any good
    That's like, your opinion man, this company has not only developed one mainstream engine used for many AAA titles today, side of the ones they developed themselves under Unreal.

I think you're a bit too obsessed with hating Fortnite, in such a wide range not even the company itself gets a pass. lol
    yeah but AAA are second rate as far as I am concerned and yes that is my opinion.

I find AAA to be EXTREEMLY limited game play which I dont consider to be a high rate game

• zenomexzenomex Member UncommonPosts: 242
    I've been invited to the alpha and I didn't play much because of the optimization. Not saying it's supposed to be different, just saying I couldn't enjoy the game due to low FPS. Anyone knows about how much this improved?
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    MaxBacon said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Ask him about the 1st rate developer The Fun Pimps.
    maskedweasel

edited July 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Ask him about the 1st rate developer The Fun Pimps.
    yup. that they are, better game and with a faction of the budget.

again...you with the whole 'edgy' thing

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    SEANMCAD said:
    MaxBacon said:
    SEANMCAD said:

I think you're a bit too obsessed with hating Fortnite, in such a wide range not even the company itself gets a pass. lol
    yeah but AAA are second rate as far as I am concerned and yes that is my opinion.

I find AAA to be EXTREEMLY limited game play which I dont consider to be a high rate game
    Unreal engine is also used for a lot of indie titles too, including VR games.  Chances are you've played several games that have used a version of the unreal engine.  

edited July 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    MaxBacon said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Unreal engine is also used for a lot of indie titles too, including VR games.  Chances are you've played several games that have used a version of the unreal engine.  
    most ones I play us Unity but yeah...still a cool story bro. 

not sure what it has to do with my observation but thanks!

EDIT: I think I figured out your point

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Been playing off and on for awhile now. I'd say my three biggest complaints are the difficulty, gear progression, and a needlessly complicated stat system. You only really start to feel the difficulty from 28 difficulty missions and higher. There are some neat mechanics and mission types which do challenge the player but it's a slog to get to that point. I think the ease of difficult early on detracts from the game rather than teaching players anything meaningful. Gear progression tied to Llamas or random chest drops is also off putting. I'm not a fan of loot chests but understand they are the latest craze and certainly a good return for some of these companies. The stat system is horrendous (to me) it ties luck into meaningful progression. Get a few lucky drops from Llama's ( Epic or higher ) and your stats will rise accordingly. If you are unlucky however you can feel the pain of having subpar stats for those higher missions. Ontop of this there are also progression gated unlocks in the skill tree to limit access to more slots. It really feels like  multiple systems have seen revisions and instead of selecting the best mechanic they slammed them all together, needlessly complicating it.

Some of their weapons need work as well, laser ranged weapons have the wonkiest of hit detection and reload rates.
    [Deleted User]
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    SEANMCAD said:
    MaxBacon said:
    SEANMCAD said:

do you realy know what AAA stand for ?
    you should probably drop it at this point and concede that they are first rate developper...

everyone make mistake, that not even about your opinion anymore man...

the sky blue, water are water, some stuft never change... even if you got others opionion, fact are fact
    Redemp said:
    Been playing off and on for awhile now. I'd say my three biggest complaints are the difficulty, gear progression, and a needlessly complicated stat system. You only really start to feel the difficulty from 28 difficulty missions and higher. There are some neat mechanics and mission types which do challenge the player but it's a slog to get to that point. I think the ease of difficult early on detracts from the game rather than teaching players anything meaningful. Gear progression tied to Llamas or random chest drops is also off putting. I'm not a fan of loot chests but understand they are the latest craze and certainly a good return for some of these companies. The stat system is horrendous (to me) it ties luck into meaningful progression. Get a few lucky drops from Llama's ( Epic or higher ) and your stats will rise accordingly. If you are unlucky however you can feel the pain of having subpar stats for those higher missions. Ontop of this there are also progression gated unlocks in the skill tree to limit access to more slots. It really feels like  multiple systems have seen revisions and instead of selecting the best mechanic they slammed them all together, needlessly complicating it.

Some of their weapons need work as well, laser ranged weapons have the wonkiest of hit detection and reload rates.
    intresting

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I bought in on Wednesday on PS4, then took the day off from work yesterday to keep playing. Been a while since I did that.

The tutorial is sorely lacking, but honestly, I think I like it better that way. Part of the reason I dove into it was because I wanted to figure out all these things that were just hinted at in the tutorial, like the Survivors and Collections.

Game UI is a bit clunky to me - it's not quite a FPS, it's not quite a world-builder, and trying to mesh the two together is definitely challenging. I often find myself trying to reload a rifle only to enter wall-building mode, or vice versa. Probably has more to do with my newness to the game than anything, while the controls aren't difficult, they are not exactly intuitive either.

The missions are fun, but do get repetitive.

I can see where the P2W thing comes into play - the skill trees are pretty massive, and skill points aren't hard to come by, but I couldn't imagine capping out skill trees anytime soon without dropping a lot of money into XP boosts. Not that I mind that, I don't plan on buying an V-Bucks or whatever, the game moves along at a decent enough clip.

Right now the gameplay leans more on FPS-style comabt that it does the tower defense aspect. Husks easily overwhelm base defenses and traps right now. That may change as I progress through the game, but right now the base doesn't need to be more than a few walls and barriers.

Honestly, it reminds me more of Everquest Landmark / Next than anything. Almost the entire world is destructible (can't rip up bedrock or dig tunnels, but that's about all you can't tear up). Some nifty building tools to remake it back up in your image. And zombies.

It's fun. It may be that the grindy aspect of F2P will bog it down later on, but I don't think I'll have a problem getting my $40 worth out of Early Access.
    [Deleted User]
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    So, am I correct in my assumption that this is basically Dungeon Defenders on a larger scale?